Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

When does the next Super chapter come out?

The duration is tied to how much total Magic AP she gains after battles.

The 20th I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

When does the next Super chapter come out?

Usually on the 20th.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Only reason FF6s gameplay is limited now is because everyone has figured out the max things to do with the max characters. So when you run through now, you know exactly what moves to spam with what characters until you make your Offering/Genji Glove nonsense in the end game. Your first time through as a kid, it was extremely daunting because there was just so much going on and you were inputting Street Fighter moves and using tools and switching parties constantly so you had to constantly adjust.

Problem with CT is you figure that stuff out *your first time playing*; its extremely limited so you're always doing the optimal thing with very little wiggle room.

Agreed that FF5 has the best gameplay of a RPG of that era.

Back on Dragon Ball though, FF9 was extremely underrated at the time.

Darko fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 16, 2023

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If anything this thread has demonstrated that prevailing views on jrpgs have changed considerably over the past 25 years.

Shout out to phantasy star 4 fans though, glad it's no longer underrated.

Haro_Wonderful
Feb 24, 2005

In the middle of a thread Haro forgot to post!
Pork Pro

Freakazoid_ posted:

If anything this thread has demonstrated that prevailing views on jrpgs have changed considerably over the past 25 years.

Shout out to phantasy star 4 fans though, glad it's no longer underrated.

Any game that lets you turn into a jet is cool with me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Haro_Wonderful posted:

Any game that lets you turn into a jet is cool with me.

That's Phantasy Star 3.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Do Ultra Instinct/Ego give off energy like Super Saiyan/God/Blue do? Can you sense when someone is in UI/UE?

Like, hypothetically, Goku and Vegeta have ended up on opposite sides of the universe somehow, and Vegeta needs to power up so Goku can teleport to him or whatever. Is UE 'better' than blue in terms of energy output that someone can sense, or are they more like flow states that you're just kinda 'in'?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So Dragon ball The Breakers is still going and the three new characters they added are Yajirobi, Chi Chi and King Furry, which I believe makes this the best Dragon ball game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

King Furry can call down a satellite laser on top of Nappa and frankly there is no other game that can make that kind of situation happen.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

The Shame Boy posted:

King Furry can call down a satellite laser on top of Nappa and frankly there is no other game that can make that kind of situation happen.

Bulma needs to get some super saiyans into a particle accelerator to see what happens. Do the Science, Bulma.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

So Dragon ball The Breakers is still going and the three new characters they added are Yajirobi, Chi Chi and King Furry, which I believe makes this the best Dragon ball game.

Is Bulma playable out of curiosity? I know she’s in Heroes at least even though she has yet to appear in the anime tie in

Speaking of Heroes apparently there’s a manga adaption as well, how’s that?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 16, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Is Bulma playable out of curiosity? I know she’s in Heroes at least even though she has yet to appear in the anime tie in

Speaking of Heroes apparently there’s a manga adaption as well, how’s that?

She and Oolong both. As well as Farmer With A Shotgun

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

She and Oolong both. As well as Farmer With A Shotgun

Awesome, how does she play?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Awesome, how does she play?

All the survivors are pretty much are the same. Her unique skills are a capsule bike and wiggling her butt to distract the enemies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Returning to the second half of my question then, is the Dragon Ball Heroes manga any better than the anime?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

ImpAtom posted:

All the survivors are pretty much are the same. Her unique skills are a capsule bike and wiggling her butt to distract the enemies.

She can make Frieza blush.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

New Leaf posted:

She can make Frieza blush.

They just added Vegeta as a raider and even though it's Saiyan Saga Vegeta, he has a unique animation and dialog when it's sombody with the Bulma skin doing the skill on him :eng101:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

Returning to the second half of my question then, is the Dragon Ball Heroes manga any better than the anime?

Haven't watched the anime but I dunno, the comic is like reading an arc from one of the xenoverse games. It's not really about the writing it's weird scenarios of action figures bouncing into each other with ocassionally decent gags and Turles is often there.

Fine enough read if you're into like meaningless fan comics but its a manga that exists as advertising for a weird card game story, it's not exactly trying to measure up to anything from the actual Dragon Ball mangas.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i hate playing as raider, but i love the idea of vegeta raider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koKSfdBopq8

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 17, 2023

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Remember that one time when Buu got his rear end beat by a piece of candy? I don't got anything to add to the discussion, that was just really fuckin' funny :laffo:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

GreenMetalSun posted:

Do Ultra Instinct/Ego give off energy like Super Saiyan/God/Blue do? Can you sense when someone is in UI/UE?

Goku probably only emits energy in ui the exact moment of an attack or y'know whatever. I refuse to acknowledge ultra ego since it doesn't seem to be what Vegeta is training for in Superhero

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

they give off god ki probably

I imagine Ultra Ego will keep being used, Vegeta will combine it with other forms to get his eyebrows back and make it not suck

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, the whole point of Goku’s training was that he was using UI wrong by not making it his own style, UE is just Vegeta trying to be oldschool arrogant shithead vintage Vegeta which is why (imo) he just ate colossal poo poo because that’s not him anymore. Gonna be weird if that’s not the takeaway after beating Goku in a fair fight with no powerups or w/e.

Of course, it was pretty ducking weird when Piccolo tried to convince us that Vegeta knew how to pick his fights properly so who knows?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

This breaks canon, she only wished for a bigger rear end in Super!
:goonsay:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
All jrpgs are boring to play

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

CT has a great setup, is really fun, and Lavos was scary as hell, and the story if great if you can accept that it's basically a MOTW setup. The battles are very dated and most random encounters are spam attack to win, only the boss fights are interesting, when everything comes together right fights can get really tense and exciting, Giga Gaia and the final Lavos battle being the best I think, unfortunately battles like that are kind of rare.

Anyway i've replayed it 3 times so it's a flawed but great game and has some magic to it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the part in chrono trigger where you get arrested is one of the greatest moments in gaming history

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Flesnolk posted:

I picked up Live a Live for Switch to play on a long flight, and you're right.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

die

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Augus posted:

the part in chrono trigger where you get arrested is one of the greatest moments in gaming history

I liked when they figured out how to take advantage of a causality paradox and just stick a doll of Crono in there and replace him to "fulfill" the history.

Max Bill and Ted thinking there.

Haro_Wonderful
Feb 24, 2005

In the middle of a thread Haro forgot to post!
Pork Pro

GreenMetalSun posted:

Like, hypothetically, Goku and Vegeta have ended up on opposite sides of the universe somehow, and Vegeta needs to power up so Goku can teleport to him or whatever. Is UE 'better' than blue in terms of energy output that someone can sense, or are they more like flow states that you're just kinda 'in'?

I'd assume they don't make extra or special energy. So iirc Master Roshi was stated to have some sort of proto UI.
I'd assume the aura is more fighting instinct than an specific power. Unless they at some point stated a power boost for pure UI.

Ultra Ego I know nothing about as I'm mainly an anime and video games fan. Just as far as I'm concerned when it comes to powering up to be noticable at a distance it should be whatever power/form they have been using the most often. Since say if Goku hasn't really gotten a feel for a new form Vegeta is using he likely wouldn't recognize it.

Take Frieza Black, I doubt Goku could lock onto that power from a distance.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Ultra Ego is in theory akin to Fat Gum in MHA. He takes a brutal beating then can dish out the damage he absorbed in some supposed ultra smackdown. Unfortunately it hasn't worked yet.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's really funny because it's almost the exact same thing Bergamo was doing in DBS except Bergamo was a bit villain and got owned incredibly hard by Goku in about ten seconds for using it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ultra Ego’s concept of Low HP = High ATK & SPD is fine in concept, I just don’t trust the writers to be able to do anything interesting with it until they stop loving around like it’s still the 90s and Vegeta HAS to lose every time

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Black August posted:

Ultra Ego’s concept of Low HP = High ATK & SPD is fine in concept, I just don’t trust the writers to be able to do anything interesting with it until they stop loving around like it’s still the 90s and Vegeta HAS to lose every time

HEY

It was the 80's for Japan, the 90s jobber Vegeta was clearly a USA hallmark :colbert:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Really with Kai in the 2010’s Vegeta jobbing is just a quintessential part of the series. Hell, his ability to organically make every situation worse by talking poo poo and getting hit to boost up the current antagonist/escalate the situation is why he even stuck around past his intro.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So he’s worf

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Captain Oblivious posted:

Magus is literally Shadow the Hedgehog

Vegeta is also Shadow the Hedgehog.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kanos posted:

It's really funny because it's almost the exact same thing Bergamo was doing in DBS except Bergamo was a bit villain and got owned incredibly hard by Goku in about ten seconds for using it.

Honestly, Bergamo's version was seemingly better, if only because he didn't seem to take damage from Goku's hits and only got the benefit. It's just that Goku was overall stronger even with the benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Vegeta is also Shadow the Hedgehog.

Fun fact!
Shadow mostly grew out of being Vegeta, then they stopped using the extended cast in games for a while. The comics continued to write him as "grown out of being Vegeta."

Then they got cancelled, a new comic with the same head writer started at IDW, and one of the few things he's actually talked about having major friction with Sega over is that they just want Shadow to be Vegeta again.

So Shadow just doesn't show up in the new comics much.

(There appears to be no such friction over writing Silver as "Just Future Trunks." Everyone seems to be in agreement about that.)