Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Head Bee Guy posted:

I’ve taken a lot of accidental shins to the balls that i’ve considered looking for a soft style cup, or even just wearing bike shorts under my spats.

I was rolling with a guy who used to come to my gym, and felt something hard between his legs when we were in half guard. i worried he might have gotten a little over excited before I realized it was a cup

I picked up a pair of bike shorts a few months ago for the exact same reason. It definitely helps, but it also adds enough extra hassle with laundry and so on that I just keep them in my bag and put them on if I know we're going to be drilling a bunch of knee cuts or leg entanglements that day.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've been to a few of his seminars and his rule was "You can't record while I'm teaching, but at the end of the seminar I'll do a quick recap, and you're welcome to film that part."

The rule at pretty much every seminar I've ever been to has been "don't record me teaching, but you're welcome to record yourself drilling". Offering a recap at the end (that you can film!) is pretty cool and not something I've seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

How rare is it to get big throws in randori? Stuff like osoto, ogoshi, seoinage. Like im starting to flesh out a game but it seems that stuff that seems to have a high percentage for me atleast are foot/leg attacks like ouchi/kouchi/sasae

Not to sound like a dick, but big throws are the name of the game. Spend time or watch videos of high level guys training and they throw big regularly. That should be the goal, big pretty throws. Big pretty throws are the result of lots of hard work.

The real breakthrough is learning to connect high percentage small attacks like foot sweeps, grip fighting, and movement to setup bigger and better throws.

It's also a test of peoples ability to breakfall and be a good uke. Fight hard, get a good round in, but know when to take that fall.

Edit: I like to use other sports as an analogy. A good basketball player wants every shot to be a swish, especially in practice. Big throws are like that, when technique and practice align to make a magical thing happen using physics and the human body.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 14, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

wedgie deliverer posted:

Not to sound like a dick, but big throws are the name of the game. Spend time or watch videos of high level guys training and they throw big regularly. That should be the goal, big pretty throws. Big pretty throws are the result of lots of hard work.

The real breakthrough is learning to connect high percentage small attacks like foot sweeps, grip fighting, and movement to setup bigger and better throws.

I do this in reverse, in that I attempt Ogoshi and Osoto and when inevitably they defend I'll hit simple foot sweeps like Ouchi or Sasae. I really do want to hit these cool highlight throws, but it seems that at lower belts dudes are really good at defending the big throws, but absolutely oblivious to a follow up footsweep.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
02-6611-0142-1, here's the page to sign up for the Yuri Simoes seminar this weekend in Brisbane

https://bjjdownunder.com/

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

I do this in reverse, in that I attempt Ogoshi and Osoto and when inevitably they defend I'll hit simple foot sweeps like Ouchi or Sasae. I really do want to hit these cool highlight throws, but it seems that at lower belts dudes are really good at defending the big throws, but absolutely oblivious to a follow up footsweep.

That's cool, I do something similar. To clarify my thoughts, I also think of footsweeps like Sasae and ouchi as 'big' throws, in BJJ or Judo practice, in the sense that I want that ippon quality takedown with speed, control and force.

These attacks generall don't require as much power or energy as a uchimata or turning throw, but I still want to get that platonic ideal takedown, clearing their feet and getting good contact and downward force, and that often means serious commitment the same as a turning throw.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

wedgie deliverer posted:

These attacks generall don't require as much power or energy as a uchimata or turning throw, but I still want to get that platonic ideal takedown, clearing their feet and getting good contact and downward force, and that often means serious commitment the same as a turning throw.

I think thats been the biggest hurdle to clear for me to hit bigger turn throws is committing more to attempts. I've started figuring it out with ouchi, where I can say gently caress it and blast through them and get a take down out of it, but when I go for turn throws I tend to abandon it even if uke feels the slightest bit heavy.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

First class since the pandemic. This poo poo is different when you're 40.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Hellblazer187 posted:

What's up fellow youngster! You'll get your gas tank back.

Unrelated: new guy tonight blew the most thunderous rear end I've ever heard when I caught mount on him and he didn't skip a beat. I think he's a keeper.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I think it's probably more the fact that I'm just out of practice and out of shape and significantly heavier than the fact that I'm 40 now. But, well, I am sore today.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

porquenolosdos.gif

I'm a year younger than you, and was off for about 13 months March 2020 - April 2021 and let me tell you the difference coming back was stark.

You adjust tho, keep it up, glad you're back on the mats!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm 38, not in great shape, and I train 4-8 times a week. It's really true what people say about getting used to it, because if I spent six to 12 hours a week in a weight lifting gym practicing progressive overload I'd look like a completely different person, so I wish Jiu Jitsu was actually a better workout.

Edit: yeah it took some number of months for me to regain skill and endurance after a year off during COVID.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 17, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Once I got back to it in march of last year I was pretty much sucking until December. I feel like I'm finally somewhat back to where I was pre april-2020. Eventually you just get reused to it.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

I think thats been the biggest hurdle to clear for me to hit bigger turn throws is committing more to attempts. I've started figuring it out with ouchi, where I can say gently caress it and blast through them and get a take down out of it, but when I go for turn throws I tend to abandon it even if uke feels the slightest bit heavy.

If you can consistently get your opponent to flinch on an ouchi/inside trip attack, you should be able to setup a big turning throw. Maybe just work the timing and angles a bit with your coach if you're struggling.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
One problem with low level randori is that the defense tends to grow faster than the offense until they start to develop better grip breaking and sacrifice throws. That's kind of where me and my usual partners are at, where we've finally kind of broken through a frustrating wall and can't just lock each other down all the time.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
Here we go again. I have another ADCC tournament tomorrow. We have a great team participating and I am the designated driver. That means I have to go and participate, no matter what, since so many people are dependent on me. For the record, I am a 46 year old purple belt hobbyist in a Masters division. My first match will be against a seasoned black belt. He is well known and a tough competitor. I don't have high hopes, but I'm not giving anything for free. Trip report will come at some point, maybe Sunday?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pyle posted:

I am a 46 year old purple belt hobbyist in a Masters division.

Pyle somehow also posted:

My first match will be against a seasoned black belt.

The gently caress? Just how open ARE these brackets?

lol I once saw a 174lb man choke out a 14 year old at one of these, they don't give a single poo poo there.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Jack B Nimble posted:

Masters division is a strange division. It is all about the age and not the belt. We have usually old purples like me, but nothing prevents black belts’ participation. It’s just pure luck who comes against you.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean I've been in matches in both masters 1 and masters 2 and still always been against my belt, but I only compete in the IBJJF so maybe they're not hurting for matches?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Looking forward to the Lachlan seminar tommorow in LA. My first real seminar in poo poo, at least two years.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Ill be 46 this month and when I roll with these youngsters its like FUUUUUUC...

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack B Nimble posted:

lol I once saw a 174lb man choke out a 14 year old at one of these, they don't give a single poo poo there.

ADCC doesn't divide by rank for the most part. Just age iirc.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I have a training partner who won a prestigious tournament at purple because at masters 4 there was only one other dude in his bracket and he no showed.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is the post by ADCC's Instagram breaking down the brackets by experience etc

I wish I was joking that it is basically a screenshot of an excel spreadsheet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoxidyWPMiA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mekchu posted:

Here is the post by ADCC's Instagram breaking down the brackets by experience etc

I wish I was joking that it is basically a screenshot of an excel spreadsheet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoxidyWPMiA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

It's amazing that grappling tournaments don't just fall in on themselves due to their own incompetence and penny pinching nature.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sorry for double post but remembered: I got shown a sweep from half guard knee shield that was completely bonkers and I have no idea what its called to google it

So uke is attempting a cross side knee cut you have a frame, knee shield, and half guard hook on the knee cut leg. Basically you drop the knee shield a bit allowing you to join both your feet together and you do a barrel roll which torques ukes knee forcing them to the side, ideally you get a sweep and come up top, but at higher level it probably introduces a scramble. Anyone know what this is called or seen it before atleast?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Sounds like the giggler sweep (aka John Wayne sweep).

https://youtu.be/dKlm6xRmpIA

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that sounds like the giggler which is a cheat code that myself, commonshore, and a few others have been raving about the past few weeks/months.

Mansour Barnoui, an MMA guy now in Bellator, does it so well in MMA fights.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the giggler is the first technique I'm going to teach to new people from now on.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

*gets z-scissor swept*   oi, u havin a giggle, m8   >:O

e: i should actually learn and practice it tho, it does seem pretty choice

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

butros posted:

Sounds like the giggler sweep (aka John Wayne sweep).

My gym calls it the wiggle wiggle but it is god-tier half guard sweep/setup.

edit nogi version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gMe8TgXt5g

Michael Transactions fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 19, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I too have recently found great success with John Wayne/Knee Twist/Giggler. I hate that last name, though admittedly it has elicited some giggles when I land it.

How do you guys transition into and out of the sweep?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Did the Lachlan seminar in LA yesterday. Pretty amazing details on how to finish inside and outside heel hooks. I like outside more than the inside and some of the grips he uses to maintain the position are pretty bulletproof. Tried live drill trying to escape and it was was very difficult. I think I have a better understanding on how to open up the heel too when they go to tuck it too.

Choi bar stuff was interesting. I feel if you dont get that grip on the arm properly, you could be in some trouble for sure. Also questioned him about the grip on the top leg and that might interfere with him getting his leg over. He was like "show me" and we went live and drilled a couple of passes with him from half. The same grip that Gordon uses to pass half, I used on Lachlan and I noticed it was a little problematic for him to get the leg over to get to the choi bar position. A lot of pummeling in order to escape my grip and I had'nt dropped my hips like I normally do.

RGA LA was very accomodating and welcoming. Beautiful gym BTW. Parking was problematic, but we played Tetris and figured it out :D

Count Roland posted:

I too have recently found great success with John Wayne/Knee Twist/Giggler. I hate that last name, though admittedly it has elicited some giggles when I land it.

How do you guys transition into and out of the sweep?

The John Wayne is one of my favorites. Set it up when you have the far side grip on the sleeve or when the arm is across starting to cross your chest and you have a grip in it in nogi from half. The setup is ridiculously simple and suprising to many.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 19, 2023

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Did you happen to take advantage of the "you can record my recap?" because I'd love to see that.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Did you happen to take advantage of the "you can record my recap?" because I'd love to see that.

He actually didnt have a problem with us recording but indicated that he didnt want us distributing on the internet, "becuase I already have enough content online" :D

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I was inspired to give the giggle sweep a try today and by golly it works a lot. Even the few times I forgot to secure the arm, it still forces a post that created some nice space.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

He actually didnt have a problem with us recording but indicated that he didnt want us distributing on the internet, "becuase I already have enough content online" :D

Cool stuff, and he’s not kidding about his online content. I have a submeta backlog about a mile long.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My girlfriend came home from BJJ last night (I couldn't go) a little down on herself, she said she wished she was a bit better at it and took it "more seriously". She's a two stripe blue belt and rather small. She's about 150lbs but very short with small hands and not much gripping or upper body strength. Pretty much every adult, man or woman, is going to be stronger than her in the upper body.

So, aside from general encouragement I made the observation that her legs are much stronger than her arms and she's never going to have a lot of success relying on grips and grip fighting. I actually showed her that giggle sweep as an example of an primarily lower body move she could try.

Do y'all have any recommendations for an essential list of relatively simple moves for smaller people?

For my part, I'd tell her to go to the back but then my extremely basic Jiu Jitsu brain says "use arm drag to get to the back" and that's an upper body move..

Her triangles are strong enough if she can get them started, but she struggles to get and keep control of the arm. Paradoxically, if she's behind you her RNC is surprisingly hard to stop because her small hands and arms can squeeze through even a small gap snd gets tight immediately.

Oh, unrelatedly, I've never been taught the giggle sweep but, looking at the video, I think my coach's black belt husband might have been using it on me without saying what it was, I have the feeling if I bring the move up him he'll be familiar with it, because he's been training for 14 years but is kind of quiet and modest about what he knows.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is a topic that maps on to the puzzles I'm always trying to solve in grappling and I've spent a lot of time as the smallest guy in the room: smaller people should fight the "always be on top" and "back is best" game plans. Develop a game plan that has as many immediate pathways out from being underneath the opponent and/or for sweeping and/or taking the back, and then a simple high-control game plan for finishing on top or on back. Don't chase moves that sacrifice position for a chance at a finish. Be patient and go after the ones that you can do while maintaining position.

In gi, knee-on-belly lapel strangles are your best friend as a smaller person fighting a bigger person. Lots of the big boys are so thick that you can't properly mount them and they rely on that for getting reversals. If you do a knee on sternum ride against a big strong person, he'll never complain "oh the little person was being mean waah" or if he does they'll laugh at him.

Personally I don't like bottom triangles as a small person because it ends up with me getting stacked, but I know lots of people who still like them, and I'm relatively good at grabbing them in scrambles if not at setting them up from guard. Triangles are more of a long person move, imo. The back triangle or mounted triangles are good choices. So like, get mount, move up, take the triangle, try to finish it without rolling off, if the triangle doesn't work, arm bar.

My own game involves a really aggressive bottom half/wrestle up type of game and then I smash people from N/S and grab kimuras, arm triangles, d'arces, or back control as they try to escape. Mind you I used to be the 150 lb guy rolling against 225+ lb guys, but I've put on muscle over the years and I'm now the 170 lb guy, and I'm told that I have a proportionately strong squeeze/grip, and lots of my favourite moves can benefit from that. Her tactics will vary based on the moves she likes and finds that she's able to finish. But for the love of all that is holy avoid making the bottom game the home base.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Separate post to give just a list

-Scramble up
-Knee tap
-Long-range open guards
-Lots of little trips and things
-Foot locks to cause movement
-Front headlock positional moves
-Back takes
-Crucifix (might need strength to make work idk but it's really available and a relative strength multiplier: your deadlift is stronger than their fly)

And here's the #1, and it was something I had to work hard on - never ever ever conceding a full bottom position. Fight the poo poo out of that. Make them beat every frame, make them put in the effort to flatten you out. Never stop the oompahs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triple post because this is what the cool kids do:

Stephan Kesting did two instructional series on this exact topic, one with Emily Kwok, and one with a little Texan dude whose name I've forgotten. They're old-style instructionals, but they're good, and I learned a lot just from watching the samples from them I found. There are clips of them on youtube. Emily Kwok's thing, as I recall, is a mix of playing long range things like dummy sweeps, and technical adjustments that are necessary to make basic moves work when there's a big size difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not to be all "MY GIRLFRIEND!!" but an actual, real problem she has is she doesn't like laying down in top mount because she has a large bust, so her mount is always upright and vulnerable to bridging.

I'll talk to her about not being on the bottom at all costs. Her coach is also a lady, and short, but she's a heavyweight and I don't think the physically it a one to one map. My coach does use lots of speed and foot work based open guard passing and it seems well suited to the smaller person - pass the guard with back steps and side switching instead of pressure amd when on the bottom just keep moving, lots of inverting.

My own game is almost entirely grip fighting, hand control, and pressure.