Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Concerning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mystes posted:

I mean to be fair, making side streets safe for everyone (including kids) to bike on is actually a good idea, and there have been some good videos on youtube about how in reality making streets safe to bike in is a bigger part of the cycling infrastructure in the netherlands than the actual bike paths, but there's no way in hell anyone in the US is actually going to do what it takes to make streets legitimately safe, much less some rear end in a top hat writing into the newspaper to complain about bike paths

I think actionjackson's point is that the dude is arguing against himself. Although looking at a map of that part of St Paul (never been), it's almost all low-density SFH with tons of room for bike lanes everywhere so wtf are people whining about?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

they want bike lanes to allow rich people to bike from rich people houses to rich people destinations, but they do not want poor people to bike anywhere near rich people nor do they want poor people biking to interrupt rich people in cars

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Infrastructure success posted on Reddit.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

eXXon posted:

I think actionjackson's point is that the dude is arguing against himself. Although looking at a map of that part of St Paul (never been), it's almost all low-density SFH with tons of room for bike lanes everywhere so wtf are people whining about?

well yes, it's a huge street (actually parkway in some segments)

that neighborhood is the only one that didn't sign onto the proposal from a transit group here to replace I-94 with a boulevard lol

note the home size - that's not an outlier

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

simply not enough room

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

the parks board of Vancouver, Canada, just voted to rip out the pandemic-era separated bike lanes built in Stanley Park — a large, peninsular urban park that is surrounded by water on 3 sides — so that motorists can once again enjoy two lanes of vehicular access to gawk at trees from.

don’t let anyone tell you that Vancouver is some kind of biking paradise

mystes
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

simply not enough room

Oh it's that kind of thing like parkways where after paving the entire country suddenly when it's bike infastructure everyone is concern trolling about trees, yeah that absolutely infuriates me

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

sitchensis posted:

the parks board of Vancouver, Canada, just voted to rip out the pandemic-era separated bike lanes built in Stanley Park — a large, peninsular urban park that is surrounded by water on 3 sides — so that motorists can once again enjoy two lanes of vehicular access to gawk at trees from.

don’t let anyone tell you that Vancouver is some kind of biking paradise

Why's every city in North America like this :goofy: :blaster:

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Nitevision posted:

Success story here then:

First summer of the pandemic, Montreal put in protected unidirectional bike lanes down both sides of Christophe-Colomb boulevard, a six-lane road crossing fully half the city. They were temporary but well protected, the only caveat being they didn't change the traffic lights to add a bike cycle, so turning motorists were a problem.

All the cyclists used the hell out of it. Residents were happy because the side streets weren't full of bike commuters and kids could use the smaller bike paths without supervision now. Then at the end of the summer they took it out and didn't put it back in, and I was devastated.

And this summer it's going back in again, permanently! As one of the city's major bike highways to use as actual efficient transportation through the city in a straight line without loving around at stop signs and in the neighbourhoods!

It also turned out (who coulda guessed) to be a really pleasant, well-lit and safe tree-lined street when it went down to only one lane of motor traffic in each direction, instead of the usual oppressive four to five lane highway.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Nitevision posted:

It doesn't matter how many people were happily and safely using the bike infrastructure. The people who make the decisions in city government (the high level staffers and electeds) and more importantly the big donors all drive everywhere.

https://twitter.com/HowSenChong/status/1626220959429701632

The Gardiner reduces the commute time of people using it by like 3 minutes, but we have to throw infinite money into this black hole because the people actually making the decisions absolutely feel they're entitled to those 3 minutes.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The British knew about carbrain in 1964

https://twitter.com/MichaelWarbur17/status/1626531109730234370

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

amazing how Britain looks exactly the same as it did 50 years ago

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He was wearing the hell out of those shades tho.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
terminal car brain in the comments and from matty g

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1626407763227168768

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Some of the places shown in this video are in my neighbourhood and I can tell you that not only have the roads not changed, to the surprise of no one, drivers do the same poo poo today.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Chad: yes

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

???

The idea is that we can reduce speeding by changing our infrastructure. Yg continues to be incredibly stupid.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've only bothered to learn one leftist policy position, and yet it fails to solve every problem. Very interesting 🤔

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

BonHair posted:

Yeah, from a Copenhagen cycling extremist perspective, this is suicide. If you need to diagonally cross a street with any sort of car traffic, you do it by crossing first in one direction and then the other. Left turns involve stopping at the opposite corner and waiting for green. Whatever this is needs to fully stop all other traffic while bikes cross, which isn't happening I imagine.

in NL there are a few 4-way crossings where bikes all cross at the same time (cars stopped with red lights, of course) but it's not very common mostly because it's a bit chaotic and you end up with bikes everywhere. traffic lights on each separate crossing is more effective and avoids loads of bikes crossing each other (and sometimes there's also signs indicating which route across the junction is fastest, e.g. straight then left or left then straight)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwPSIb3kt_4 Walt Disney of all people beat them by 14 years.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What is Matty wrong about here? Hes right that his position on cars is better than the majority of leftists on twitter. Is the worry that it is oppressing people to force them to stop using $100k lifted trucks to kill people?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

"seize the cars of people who don't pay their tickets" is a regressive tax, not a safety measure, and given that this is ygelsias the unstated flip side is unlimited turbo boosts through residential areas for those who can afford it

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Look I think he is onto something, but it just needs to be workshopped a bit to make it less regressive:
Seizure of all assets to fund public housing and transit.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yes, it's a stupid half measure that is also half a measure more than most self-styled leftists (not here, obviously, but we're all freakish maximalists about cars) support about car elimination, and no worse of a half measure than bike lanes. Is the cause hurt because he is volunteering time to make drivers who are endangering people where he lives and works more likely to receive harassment and fines? I'm not any happier about this than you are but the real embarrassment here are the supposed progressives in the replies calling him a snitch and telling him to mind his business.

CopperHound posted:

Look I think he is onto something, but it just needs to be workshopped a bit to make it less regressive:
Seizure of all assets to fund public housing and transit.

Now we're talking, and Matty would never support this, which is why the "just don't let them near leadership" rule exists

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Yes, it's a stupid half measure that is also half a measure more than most self-styled leftists (not here, obviously, but we're all freakish maximalists about cars) support about car elimination, and no worse of a half measure than bike lanes. Is the cause hurt because he is volunteering time to make drivers who are endangering people where he lives and works more likely to receive harassment and fines? I'm not any happier about this than you are but the real embarrassment here are the supposed progressives in the replies calling him a snitch and telling him to mind his business.

Now we're talking, and Matty would never support this, which is why the "just don't let them near leadership" rule exists

Basically the issue is that he was snitching on those license plate covers people buy on the idea they block traffic cameras from seeing your plates

From here we run into competing agendas. Oppressing car owners? Cool, and good. Supporting traffic cameras, yet another ploy by corporate America to steal money? Bad. Calling the cops, an action that can very much lead to people getting killed if theres minorities involved? Also bad.

Imo there's better things worth getting mad over online

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Wasn't expecting my blood pressure to rise so fast on a chill Friday

https://twitter.com/mihai_cirstea_/status/1626298177539436544?s=48&t=j7cjsy35e_Lxi1DL2qJefA

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cars have inflated tyres as well, right?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Agean90 posted:

Basically the issue is that he was snitching on those license plate covers people buy on the idea they block traffic cameras from seeing your plates

From here we run into competing agendas. Oppressing car owners? Cool, and good. Supporting traffic cameras, yet another ploy by corporate America to steal money? Bad. Calling the cops, an action that can very much lead to people getting killed if theres minorities involved? Also bad.

Imo there's better things worth getting mad over online

Hmm but did you consider that many of those plate covers/expired (temporary) licenses are on cars owned by cops or friends thereof, in which case tattling on them is probably a waste of time oh well.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wasn't Matty one of the people who said that donoteat's NYT op-ed really blew their mind? I wonder if his interest in making carbrain assholes mad is to do with that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

who is donoteat

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

li-li-lithium-ion :ohdear:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

actionjackson posted:

who is donoteat

the host of "well theres your problem"

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

actionjackson posted:

who is donoteat
C-SPAM › The donoteat thread: Urbanism, Unions, and TRAINS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870560&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

loving hell... there's been an urbanism thread here for four years?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh I somehow never noticed that that cities skylines video person was behind well there's your problem

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
they destroyed all the coastal promenades in this city to make a new coastal highway for "solving" traffic congestion lmao. just a few more lanes bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEzgCT24vR0

its 2023 and zero lessons learned from anything ever

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Polo-Rican posted:

no way. if anything, the polarization has been made permanent. as of the past few years, the suburb dwellers i know would go the rest of their lives without visiting a city if they could

media coverage of the BLM protests of 2020 further convinced suburbanites think every metro is a literal warzone

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
This is the one time that you gotta hand it to Matty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cat botherer.....thank you