Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There is so much to unpack in that post I'd have to ask for a retainer up front

E-- not quoting it. Digging the awful snype. Bad thread continues to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

E-- not quoting it. Digging the awful snype. Bad thread continues to be bad.

After reading it a couple of times myself, uh... Hoo yeah, it's something. It's something already. Something I'm not as qualified to respond to as I initially thought it was.

Anyway, getting mad the casting of people of colour to play roles assumed to be, but not necessarily "meant" for white people, especially in a fantasy show is kinda sus, just saying that much. And it instantly lumps you in with a bunch of otherwise fairly sketchy likeminded folks on that matter purely by association.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 9, 2023

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Well one of them was dropping the equivalent of the n-bomb in her native language on Twitter back when the casting for HoTD was announced.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Well one of them was dropping the equivalent of the n-bomb in her native language on Twitter back when the casting for HoTD was announced.

Okay so then I would like to amend my post

nine-gear crow posted:

Do the two Scandinavian Nazi racist fucks that co-write his fake history books count?

How's that work for folks?

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

mind the walrus posted:

I can venmo you $3, or whatever your going rate is

Actually it does appear there is a lot more. https://twitter.com/CNymerosMartell/status/1563116506354835458

edit: oops missed your post:

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay so then I would like to amend my post

How's that work for folks?

I prefer the word bigot, but yeah

TERFherder fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 9, 2023

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
They should have cast a black actor for either Jaime or King Robert. All the other casting unchanged, plot and dialogue unchanged.

Edit: actually, replace exactly one of either Jaime, Cersei, Robert, or Joffrey, that would be even better. Dare the audience to make an issue of it.

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 9, 2023

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Kylaer posted:

They should have cast a black actor for either Jaime or King Robert. All the other casting unchanged, plot and dialogue unchanged.

Edit: actually, replace exactly one of either Jaime, Cersei, Robert, or Joffrey, that would be even better. Dare the audience to make an issue of it.

I liked how Louie CK did that in his show. His wife was black. Both kids were super blonde. Definitely seemed odd at first, but got past it pretty quickly. Took about a show to realize they weren't going to address it, that it was supposed to be a non issue.

Unfortunately they did eventually address it a bit ( a one off comment that his wife was bi-racial ) , which sort of ruined the whole thing, but it was great while it lasted.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kylaer posted:

Or you know you could cast the characters who were black in the book but weren't in the show of the "sorry we want to make a show about the confederate winning" duo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TERFherder posted:

I can venmo you $3, or whatever your going rate is
Appreciated but nah it's a bit more than that.

quote:

I prefer the word bigot, but yeah
:hmmyes:

To "go there" one of the more annoying things is the conflation of "racist" and "bigot" as equal definitions in colloquial space. It's not something that can be changed but it still shouldn't be contributed to. That loving Avenue Q song choosing "racist" over "bigot" because it was phonetically better didn't help.

Racists are people who-- when given a clear choice, especially one that would not impact them-- choose to hold to systems that minimize POC to get ahead, even if their personal feelings on race as "eh whatever."

Bigots are people who actually like, give a gently caress about the skin color and features and all that weird diet fascist rhetoric where they actively dislike people based on more arbitrary cultural/physical categories and form reductive stereotypes accordingly.

And there's a lot of overlap of course. Most bigots are racists, but a hell of a lot of racists are not bigots, and we've all done at least one or two racist things in our lives whether we realized it or not.

These weirdos working for GRRM are definitely bigots, and likely racist, but going with "bigots" is the more accurate and safer bet.

TERFherder posted:

I liked how Louie CK did that in his show. His wife was black. Both kids were super blonde. Definitely seemed odd at first, but got past it pretty quickly. Took about a show to realize they weren't going to address it, that it was supposed to be a non issue.

Unfortunately they did eventually address it a bit ( a one off comment that his wife was bi-racial ) , which sort of ruined the whole thing, but it was great while it lasted.
Louis CK is not the guy I look for when I want to think about social equity. That was either deliberate or incredibly poor choice.

Toplowtech posted:

Or you know you could cast the characters who were black in the book but weren't in the show of the "sorry we want to make a show about the confederate winning" duo.
Racially colorblind casting rules tho. In the majority of cases it opens up the casting pool and allows more combinations of actors to find better chemistry. That can be an especially big boon if you're stuck with x, y, or z leads because they're some Producer's kid, which happens very very often.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 9, 2023

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Toplowtech posted:

It's been a long time since I've read the books, the only black character I can remember from the first three books is Jalabar Xo, who does absolutely nothing except hang out in King Robert's court in a fancy feather cape. I don't think he gets a single line.

There may have been more in Feast/Dance, I didn't re-read those the way I did the first three, so I don't recall them as clearly. Still, even if there are, there's a whole lot of book content in which black people are essentially nonexistent, and that's all on GRRM.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
There was Ben Plumm, who supposedly has some kind of Targaryen blood.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 9, 2023

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Kylaer posted:

A black Robert would’ve been fantastic because it would’ve made the whole plotline of him not noticing his kids weren’t his like a thousand times funnier, plus Eddard feeling like a genius for realizing it would be worth a few laughs too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In the end, Robert was the black dragon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nae posted:

A black Robert would’ve been fantastic because it would’ve made the whole plotline of him not noticing his kids weren’t his like a thousand times funnier, plus Eddard feeling like a genius for realizing it would be worth a few laughs too.

Or just change it so that Ned realizes it literally instantly. Like, Robert's carriage rolls up to Winterfell, he comes stomping out of it, everyone bows, Cersei comes out, everyone bows, then Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen step out, all of them lily white and blonde as gently caress and everyone starts going :raise:, then have Jaime ride up like Prince Charming and hop off his horse and stand behind Cersei and the kids and Ned's face just goes :stare: right then and there.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

With the whole scene at double speed and Yakety Sax playing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ironic that known bastard Orys Baratheon was the one and only man in the setting whose hair wasn’t the same colour as his dad’s.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

nine-gear crow posted:

Or just change it so that Ned realizes it literally instantly. Like, Robert's carriage rolls up to Winterfell, he comes stomping out of it, everyone bows, Cersei comes out, everyone bows, then Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen step out, all of them lily white and blonde as gently caress and everyone starts going :raise:, then have Jaime ride up like Prince Charming and hop off his horse and stand behind Cersei and the kids and Ned's face just goes :stare: right then and there.

This would be spectacular.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

mind the walrus posted:

Louis CK is not the guy I look for when I want to think about social equity. That was either deliberate or incredibly poor choice.

It's the best example I can think of where it was decidedly odd to cast a black woman, and it made me look at my reaction to that. Maybe you can share a better example instead of just criticizing mine?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nine-gear crow posted:

This would require a male member of the Stark family to not be an absolute dumb rear end though.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

This would require a male member of the Stark family to not be an absolute dumb rear end though.

Exactly. Instead, he should channel Butthead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojMH45P63jM&t=11s

Buttheaddard Stark.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kylaer posted:

Exactly. Instead, he should channel Butthead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojMH45P63jM&t=11s

Buttheaddard Stark.

Robert: I WANT THAT TARGARYEN WHORE DEAD!

Ned: Uuuuhhh... Settle down, Beavis.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So we're safely past the point where it'll be more than 12 years since the last book was released into stores with still no end in sight.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So we're safely past the point where it'll be more than 12 years since the last book was released into stores with still no end in sight.

Truthfully I never expected him to live this long.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

nine-gear crow posted:

I read a fanfic where Jon Snow looks 100% like Rhaegar Jr and the only one who believes Ned's bastard stuff is Robert

Ned Stark lie? Inconceivable!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Barreft posted:

I really loving didn't either

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Barreft posted:

My Weekend at Bernie's feat. Linda and the Cuban Fuckboy theory not looking so stupid anymore.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

He's still several years under the average life expectancy of a USA male, and his massive wealth would statistically skew him towards the farther end of that bell curve.

With a bit of luck he could have another decade of procrastination ahead of him.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

He's still several years under the average life expectancy of a USA male, and his massive wealth would statistically skew him towards the farther end of that bell curve.

With a bit of luck he could have another decade of procrastination ahead of him.

Yeah, with a little bit of exercise and a healthy diet LMAO

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He’s got a couple years left till he its the life expectancy at birth for U.S. males.

A random U.S. man who is already seventy‐four years old would be expected to live to about his eighty‐sixth birthday.

Now those are figures for a generic man, not one of his wealth, or race, or body mass, and the table I used is notably from 2019. I’m not his life insurance agent; I just want to point out that life expectancy at birth isn’t particularly meaningful when talking about older people.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

George is really fat which probably impacts his health negatively. On the other hand he's rich and seems fairly active and healthy for his age. He can easily live another decade or two, his lifespan is not the limiting factor on him finishing the books he should have finished ten years ago.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Watching auditions of (im assuming) topless scenes really gets the ol heart pumpin.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The wedding of Dany and Drogo was sexually exciting for at least one silver‐haired male.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvbDIq112Ms&t=265s

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Keith Carradine had a similar story on the Duellists ; apparently stallions gonna stallion.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Doing my first reading of Wheel of Time, and I'm on book 2. My opinion of GURM has dropped even further. ASoIaF is really just 'what if WoT had rape?'

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is he dead yet

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No, but Lance Reddick is :(

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

No, but Lance Reddick is :(

It should have been you, GRRM. It should have been you. :smith:

gently caress, I think the first time I posted this was for the late Sir Terry Pratchett :smithicide:

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Book's out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

quote:

Three Kings, One Throne

((No, no, not the Iron Throne. An entirely different throne, on an entirely different world. There are lots of worlds, you know. Lots of books. Lots of thrones)).

The queen is dead. Long live the king.

Ah… but which king? Charles III, you say? Well, maybe in this world. But not in the world of the Wild Cards, which diverged from our own reality on September 15, 1946, when Jetboy died in the skies over Manhattan. History was never the same.

Elizabeth II never took the throne of the United Kingdom in that world. It was her younger sister Margaret who ascended after the passing of their father, King George VI, and it is Queen Margaret I whose long reign has just come to an end there. Her eldest son is about to succeed her as King Henry IX… but his younger brother has his own designs on the crown, and dreams of being Richard IV… and if the whispers can be believed, there may be another claimant as well, a joker prince hidden away for half a century.

Who will claim the throne? To find out you’ll need to check out THREE KINGS, volume twenty-nine in the Wild Cards series (but have no fear, you do not need to read the first twenty-eight to enjoy this one). Tor is releasing the trade paperback edition today, and you will find it at your local bookstore or your favorite online bookseller.

2 GURMs one cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

He hates asoiaf fans so much lol