Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Tremors posted:

Does anybody have any recommended heat mats or lamps for starting seeds? I want to grow a few hot peppers from seed this year and realize I need to get on that soon.

I suspect most of the heating mats sold in the garden shops come off the same manufacturing line with different silk screening. My main mat is a Hydrofarm Jump-Start. No complaints so far, it hasn't burnt down the house and I've had it so long I can't remember when I bought it. Overflow/backup is the top of the hot water tank and tbh I can't see a difference in results.

Benagain posted:

I was going to smother the grass with carboard but I read that cuts down on soil air quailty too much.

Any thoughts?

Probably depends on your soil type. I have very sandy soil and this is my go-to method now for planting new areas - a couple of layers of cardboard with a heaping mound of compost and clean soil on top. As long as things are kept moist the soil mycorrhiza breaks down the cardboard before the second planting season. Just be sure to use only plain brown cardboard with no plastic labels, tape, metal staples or other foreign objects that will come back to haunt you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Hexigrammus posted:

I suspect most of the heating mats sold in the garden shops come off the same manufacturing line with different silk screening. My main mat is a Hydrofarm Jump-Start. No complaints so far, it hasn't burnt down the house and I've had it so long I can't remember when I bought it. Overflow/backup is the top of the hot water tank and tbh I can't see a difference in results.

Oh I figured as much. I just didn't know if there was a best pick from the three styles I see are common: just plugs into an outlet, plugs into an outlet with an inline dial for temperature, or comes with a thermostat & probe to manage temperature.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Temperature control is nice but not even necessary for germinating peppers

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Tremors posted:

Oh I figured as much. I just didn't know if there was a best pick from the three styles I see are common: just plugs into an outlet, plugs into an outlet with an inline dial for temperature, or comes with a thermostat & probe to manage temperature.

I use Vivosun mats for peppers. I also use Vivosun thermostats with the little probes but it's really overkill if you're just trying to pop nightshade seeds.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
My crocuses are coming up in New Hampshire. Seems a bit early for my zone.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Unhappy today as I discovered that some animal ate and/or broke all the shoots on my huckleberry this week. I suspected a rabbit was trying to murder my ferns, but this is new damage and they were chewed clean off and most of the leaves also eaten.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
For what it's worth I've never seen any difference (like literally any) between my starts that use heated mats and the ones that I just put in those little cheapo starter cell greenhouses. I start everything in my family room, which is usually around 60ish degrees until it starts getting warmer out. The soil temperature under those plastic starters (when I've bothered to check) is usually around 70 degrees.

I still use the mats because I have them, but I haven't bought more because I'm not convinced they're all that useful unless you're germinating in a very cold room or growing something that requires warmer temperatures.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I germinate in my basement under grow light and the difference in temperature between 60F and 80F if remarkable

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I use my hotbed set to around 80 degrees until the peppers/tomatoes germinate and then turn it back down for the other seeds. I end up with 2’ tall peppers and tomatoes when it’s time to transplant.

I will say that the temperature control is really useful if you’re trying to jumpstart seeds that need a small boost in temp, but won’t germinate if it’s too hot. But you can just use the same kind of $10 temperature controlled used in lizard terrariums.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Heatmat isn't necessary but peppers sprout much faster when I use one in my basement.

e: Finished building my new and improved raised bed this morning. Bumped up my gardening surface area another 18 square feet and another foot in depth. Now just ordered a few cubic yards of leafgro to fill it up and some hardwood mulch for my paths. Shopping for a prefab trellis for the north end of the new bed.

I hope I've never given who has asked the impression that growing vegetables for fun is in any way a sustainable practice. This poo poo is expensive! Cheaper than a lot of hobbies still I guess.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 16, 2023

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
so I have encountered opposition on my quest to grow tomatoes-

They're loving huge and I was shocked but I guess it is a common post. Unfortunately while researching them I have discovered that they turn into cool looking moths so I'm not sure what to do with them. The couple of big ones I found have a reprieve in a container full of spinach my wife was letting go bad, but I'm not sure if I should do them in or not.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I usually toss them out for the birds. They're probably a great snack. They're very common, which means there's no shortage of the moths.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://vineyardgazette.com/news/2017/08/23/hungry-hornworms

quote:

Simply fry caterpillars for four minutes in hot oil, taking care not to rupture the creature’s cuticle. This delicacy is described as tasting just like those fried green tomatoes with a hint of shrimp and the consistency of soft shell crabs

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Cut them in half and put them in your bird feeder.

Suffer not the worms to live. They will literally disappear your tomato plants overnight.

Edit:

Well that's enough internet for today.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

mischief posted:

Suffer not the worms to live. They will literally disappear your tomato plants overnight.

Yes, I drown them.

Unless you see them with passengers. Then pick them off but put them somewhere so the parasitic wasps can finish their noble work.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Last year I kept a sacrifice tomato plant away from my main garden and put some hornworms there. The rest got fed to my chickens and ducks.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Tremors posted:

Does anybody have any recommended heat mats or lamps for starting seeds? I want to grow a few hot peppers from seed this year and realize I need to get on that soon.

I have a Vivosun and it's worked well for me, not necessarily saying it's the best one available or anything. However, last year I started my first seeds, then life basically got in the way of being able to nurture them or do much else, so they all died and I was stuck buying starts from a nursery. Recently I started all my superhot pepper seeds for this year, and when I grabbed my heat mat it was warm. Oops, I never unplugged it :downs:. The nice thing is, that means it can be plugged in for literally a solid year without burning your house down. So that's a plus.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

What in the world; that is probably the biggest chonker of a cat that I've ever seen.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I completely understand the desire to be as no-kill as possible, but horn worms are a major tomato pest and they'll utterly devastate your plants. You pretty much need to either kill them or accept that you're gardening for the moths and not yourself. A big infestation will leave exactly zero usable plants.

Something to keep in mind with home gardening is that you're creating an unusually massive bounty for certain pests that love these plants and it's really hard to actually create the fabled balanced ecosystem of prey and predators, especially if you want to have any harvests left for yourself. You don't need to carpet bomb your garden with indiscriminate pesticides, but some degree of management is unavoidable.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We had a very wet winter and the hydrangeas I killed off by being too anxious to go out and water them are putting out new shoots! Also my antique freesia, English bluebells, hyacinths, and daffodils I bought from Old House Gardens last year are putting up healthy shoots.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

I completely understand the desire to be as no-kill as possible, but horn worms are a major tomato pest and they'll utterly devastate your plants. You pretty much need to either kill them or accept that you're gardening for the moths and not yourself. A big infestation will leave exactly zero usable plants.

Something to keep in mind with home gardening is that you're creating an unusually massive bounty for certain pests that love these plants and it's really hard to actually create the fabled balanced ecosystem of prey and predators, especially if you want to have any harvests left for yourself. You don't need to carpet bomb your garden with indiscriminate pesticides, but some degree of management is unavoidable.

lol I learned this lesson last year planting (native! great for pollinators!) purple passionfruit. which was great for the native caterpillars that devoured my vines entirely before they got established

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hello thread! I need your help please. I have a potted bamboo palm that was inside but it's gotten infested with scale. I've moved it outside and given it a throughough wiping down with rubbing alcohol to remove as many of the scales as I can. But now the wood laminate floor in my house near where the pot was is very sticky. I've tried to use a steam mop on it, and then a citrus based degreasing spray on it to clean it up, but it's still sticky. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Hello thread. I wanted to pop in and say hi as a newly container vegetable gardener. Living in Mesa aka Zone 9b.

If you have any tips or tricks for lower valley desert growing you'd care to share i'm all ears. Hopefully I won't need to much help once I get automated water and a temp shade setup for middle of summer.

Cheers!

sterster fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 20, 2023

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
If you haven’t yet, check out the San Diego Seed Company. They put out a lot of YouTube videos about what to plant in zone 9&10 all through the year.

I moved to zone 8b Georgia in fall of 2021 so I’m still learning a lot. Last year all the neighbors pretty much quit gardening at all through July and August. They just let their plants rot and then start their fall crops at the end of August. We have many more humidity-related diseases here but that might still be a good strategy for you. If you plant a couple early varieties you can get a harvest before the worst of the heat and then plant more for early fall.

I would imagine that you can do all the cool weather crops that I can all through the fall and winter. It’s really fantastic to have your own fresh veg in the middle of winter, all those brassicas and mustards… yum!

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Any tips or specific recommendations for rain collection for a large garden? Our garage in our new place is 4 or 5 feet away from the garden and I am replacing a bunch of the gutters on it soon and thought it might be cool to collect rainwater into a big barrel there for the garden. We live in WI, so we get lots of rain and it makes sense to me.

Relatedly, what about fencing to keep the raccoons, deer, and rabbits out? The garden is really big (10' x 40') so I'll need a fair bit of fencing. I'm trying to strike a balance between aesthetics and function. Also don't want it to interfere with tilling, mowing, and be a pain to get in and out of.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just remember that deer can jump over six feet high.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have a couple of lawns and both have become really loving mossy and I need to deal with it. From what I've been reading around the internet, I need to:

1. Apply moss killer (I'll use Evergreen 4 in 1)
2. Have it rain, then wait 2 weeks or so for the moss to die and blacken
3. Cut the grass
4. Scarify - I intend to buy an electric scarifier since I looked at renting and it's around the same price
5. Rake - the scarifier I intend to get does this
6. Seed

Does this look correct? And if so, how do I know what seeds are appropriate? I'm in the UK, if it comes to suppliers. Also the lawn is pretty patchy as it is, so could do with more blades of grass in it. I assume that's the right terminology.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 7, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have a couple of lawns and both have become really loving mossy and I need to deal with it. From what I've been reading around the internet, I need to:

3. Cut the grass
4. Scarify - I intend to buy an electric scarifier since I looked at renting and it's around the same price
6. Seed

Does this look correct? And if so, how do I know what seeds are appropriate? I'm in the UK, if it comes to suppliers. Also the lawn is pretty patchy as it is, so could do with more blades of grass in it. I assume that's the right terminology.
Moss is usually a symptom of poor conditions for grass-usually shady, compacted, acidic soil (at least in my climate). The reason moss is growing there is not because the moss is outcompeting the grass-it’s because grass won’t grow there. You need to correct the conditions so that grass will be happy there. The moss problem then will take care of itself.

You don’t need to kill the moss, just break up the ground really well at least a couple inches down with a tiller or fork, maybe add some composted bark or something to lighten your soil, and then proceed with replanting grass however you want to go about that. Getting a soil test done and correcting the pH is probably also a good idea especially if your soil is quite acidic.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Douche4Sale posted:

Any tips or specific recommendations for rain collection for a large garden? Our garage in our new place is 4 or 5 feet away from the garden and I am replacing a bunch of the gutters on it soon and thought it might be cool to collect rainwater into a big barrel there for the garden. We live in WI, so we get lots of rain and it makes sense to me.

Relatedly, what about fencing to keep the raccoons, deer, and rabbits out? The garden is really big (10' x 40') so I'll need a fair bit of fencing. I'm trying to strike a balance between aesthetics and function. Also don't want it to interfere with tilling, mowing, and be a pain to get in and out of.

When I lived in a single detached house in the city I set up a system that used multiple food-grade barrels that came from different downspouts and which were elevated at different relative heights on blocks so I could siphon between them to move water around with little trouble beyond moving a hose. I was running 4 220 litre barrels for something like a 400 sqft garden + containers but I also live in a semiarid climate.

I also found it more convenient to use watering cans with my rain barrels than any kind of hose. I think that if I were to set up a new rain barrel system I'd have multiple collection/storage containers which feed into some kind of lower/wider open tub that's set up for easy can dipping.

Oh and make sure to have some kind of mosquito netting for your barrels too.

I got my barrels from a Rainbarrel.ca fundraising event. It looks like they have an American sister organization. I 100% endorse their products. They're far superior in quality to any basic barrel you'll get in a store, and they're like half the price. Just make sure to buy a small tube of silicon for sealing the spouts both inside and out.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

CommonShore posted:

When I lived in a single detached house in the city I set up a system that used multiple food-grade barrels that came from different downspouts and which were elevated at different relative heights on blocks so I could siphon between them to move water around with little trouble beyond moving a hose. I was running 4 220 litre barrels for something like a 400 sqft garden + containers but I also live in a semiarid climate.

I also found it more convenient to use watering cans with my rain barrels than any kind of hose. I think that if I were to set up a new rain barrel system I'd have multiple collection/storage containers which feed into some kind of lower/wider open tub that's set up for easy can dipping.

Oh and make sure to have some kind of mosquito netting for your barrels too.

I got my barrels from a Rainbarrel.ca fundraising event. It looks like they have an American sister organization. I 100% endorse their products. They're far superior in quality to any basic barrel you'll get in a store, and they're like half the price. Just make sure to buy a small tube of silicon for sealing the spouts both inside and out.

Oh thanks, I hadn't even considered having some sort of larger trough that a few barrels feed into. I actually really like that, because I imagine my kids would be able to play with the water there too. Thanks for the Rainbarrel.ca rec, they don't have anything in WI right now, but I'll keep an eye there or look for something similar. I got an awesome composter for like $50 through the state conservation program that is incredible, so I know how well those types of deals work.

And I had not thought about mosquito netting for some reason. I'm assuming that is probably the best course of action since I'll be using it on vegetables.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Douche4Sale posted:

Oh thanks, I hadn't even considered having some sort of larger trough that a few barrels feed into. I actually really like that, because I imagine my kids would be able to play with the water there too. Thanks for the Rainbarrel.ca rec, they don't have anything in WI right now, but I'll keep an eye there or look for something similar. I got an awesome composter for like $50 through the state conservation program that is incredible, so I know how well those types of deals work.

And I had not thought about mosquito netting for some reason. I'm assuming that is probably the best course of action since I'll be using it on vegetables.

While they're full in the summer in Wisconsin you're going to want to get mosquito treatments (bits or disks). Even with netting they will find a way in and out. And BTi is a naturally occurring bacteria that will keep your barrels' mosquito romance hotel from being romantic. Not that it'll keep the mosquitos away, but maybe you won't have a cloud of them in your garden as frequently.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Douche4Sale posted:

Definitely keep an eye on the rain barrel site. They tend to do annual sales which get advertised in the spring and then delivered a bit later. The same orgs in my area to offer them every year.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

3. Cut the grass
6. Seed

Just grow a moss lawn?

(I mean, I live in what's basically a temperate rainforest with a city built on top, so moss in the grass or moss instead of grass is pretty normal here.)

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is anyone here really familiar with growing grapes? I'm curious about how the soil should be and recommended fertilizers.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just grow a moss lawn?

(I mean, I live in what's basically a temperate rainforest with a city built on top, so moss in the grass or moss instead of grass is pretty normal here.)

Is there any reason not to? Our lawns struggle enough with our big dog zooming around kicking up clods of turf.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I love moss. It actually feels nice and looks nicer than grass. Idk why anyone would want to get rid of it.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
how does one "grow" a moss lawn without just waiting for moss? most of our backyard is heavily shaded such that grass barely grows and i would love to blanket it in moss

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Spray a moss slurry on it

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I grab moss from my trees and strategically place it on bare spots and it usually takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Well I guess I've solved my problem with no effort and no money spent?