Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Happy Landfill posted:

I still want to know which meme it was she slipped in to Nona that Carl didn't notice until someone pointed it out after reading the ARC

I think's it's WHARGARBL since it seems I'm the only one who noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think's it's WHARGARBL since it seems I'm the only one who noticed.

Wait, where does that show up? I'm completely blanking :confused: :confused:

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Google Jeb Bush posted:

If you're into books that feel like a nightmare you can't wake up from, try The Pattern Scars

the author married Peter Watts and I could not possibly be less surprised

Oh God :gonk:

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Bayham Badger posted:

A quote from the author, which I think about regularly;

Seconding reading As Yet Unsent, contextualizes a very important relationship that Nona kind of glazes over in the book. It's available on tordotcom for free if your copy of Harrow doesn't have it.

This motherfucker really took the strongest sense of POV I've encountered in fiction and boiled her own writing down to loving memes.

I love it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I honestly think that's one of my favorite quotes from her :allears:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 8, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Happy Landfill posted:

Wait, where does that show up? I'm completely blanking :confused: :confused:

About midway through the book, Nona wakes up and shakes herself making a whargarbl sound. IIRC.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I've done that! Also in the shower, like a dog with its face in a sprinkler

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

About midway through the book, Nona wakes up and shakes herself making a whargarbl sound. IIRC.

It’s in the beginning of chapter 16:

quote:

Nona rubbed her eyes and struggled to sit up; she had been about to say the same thing, but all that came out was “Wharrgarbl.”

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

How did I miss that :doh:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

How did I miss that :doh:

Because it totally works in scene and context and Nona would absolutely say and think exactly that. It's one of the more unobtrusive ones somehow.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My only complaint is that Jod never mocked her by calling her Commander Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.

I mean he did call her "Commander Wake Me Up Inside"

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

My only complaint is that Jod never mocked her by calling her Commander Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.

There's still one more book to go. It could still happen

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Happy Landfill posted:

Possibly, but Jod's reaction to original Gideon shooting her dead rear end indicates that not even he could keep her around or bring her back. OTOH, with superGod necromancy in play from whatever source who the gently caress knows?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Happy Landfill posted:

Don't keep me hangin' on like a yo-yo!

GooseLoon
Jul 21, 2003
My buttocks are unequivocal
https://imgur.com/a/eAnKXot

Didn't catch this before, but seemingly a reference to this https://www.somethingawful.com/flash-tub/sonic-he-man/ (requires something capable of playing flash e.g. the emulator for Chrome).

My money is on a reference to this https://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/firemancomics/aborted.htm being in there somewhere as well.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I woulnd't be entirely surprised, Tamsyn has made the Gideon/Harrow/He-Man/Skeletor comparison before. I do also appreciate adding more "Tamsyn Was/Is A Goon" fuel to my fire

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet but I guess Tamsyn mentioned there being an upcoming sequel to Floralinda, called Queen Floralinda Takes Her Throne. Unfortunately the link to the interview (from fall 2022) doesn't seem to be working, so this tumblr post is the only source I have right now

https://www.tumblr.com/chillyweirdoinacoffin/709156001704738816/princess-floralinda-2-news?source=share

I want more Cobweb :colbert:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
didnt know tim tebow was a tlt fan

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Jod bless

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
re nona: loving friendship bracelets, what the gently caress

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

You know, with a lot of authors, the seeming lack of meaningful social change in broader human society over ten thousand years would seem, uh, rather unimaginative. To put it politely. But instead it feels extremely right for this society forged by loving trillionaires to basically be trapped in eternal capitalist realism with a side order of "end of history" bullshit.

Yes, some questionable motives on his part as well, but when that thought sorted itself properly in my brain I suddenly became a lot more sympathetic to Jod.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

disposablewords posted:

You know, with a lot of authors, the seeming lack of meaningful social change in broader human society over ten thousand years would seem, uh, rather unimaginative. To put it politely. But instead it feels extremely right for this society forged by loving trillionaires to basically be trapped in eternal capitalist realism with a side order of "end of history" bullshit.

Yes, some questionable motives on his part as well, but when that thought sorted itself properly in my brain I suddenly became a lot more sympathetic to Jod.

One you get that their plan was leverage the genius/time/resources of the Earth to build them FTL spaceships so they could skip out and leave the rest of Earth to rot in the waste of the trillionaires' selfish, thoughtless decisions, Jod's "Die you mother-fuckers, die!" seems pretty reasonable.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

John is very complicated but you do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to him.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Reclaimer posted:

John is very complicated but you do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to him.

"How many babies did you kill, John?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He, uh, he used a word that means a lot of dudes

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Reclaimer posted:

No, you don't, but you should be able to understand/empathize with his rage without condoning the actions he took in response to it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Honestly feels like one of the major themes of the entire series.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I would choose to do the major crimes against the rich, and that's before they try to abandon us!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

I would choose to do the major crimes against the rich, and that's before they try to abandon us!

I don't even think it's that they abandoned the world. If they'd just used some of their own money, quietly built ships and left, that would be one thing. From what I gather though, they used and used up the rest of Earth's resources to falsely indicate that they were saving as many as possible and then fled Earth to leave most of the planet to die in the waste that they left behind. That's why it was something Jod can never forgive. It wasn't that the rich were saving themselves, it's that they were saving themselves by effectively killing everybody else.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I mean, who has the monopoly on telling that whole story? A 10,000 year-old Twitch streamer who lies like he breathes and calls himself loving God.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Everyone posted:

I don't even think it's that they abandoned the world. If they'd just used some of their own money, quietly built ships and left, that would be one thing. From what I gather though, they used and used up the rest of Earth's resources to falsely indicate that they were saving as many as possible and then fled Earth to leave most of the planet to die in the waste that they left behind. That's why it was something Jod can never forgive. It wasn't that the rich were saving themselves, it's that they were saving themselves by effectively killing everybody else.

He murdered an entire solar system down to the bacteria

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah but he had good intentions

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Harold Fjord posted:

Also he's really really sorry (but would absolutely do it again in a heartbeat lol)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

They just made him so mad, you know?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They just made him so mad, you know?

Looks into your eyes with utter sincerity: I regret murdering the entire biosphere so very very much

mewse
May 2, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

“don’t say spite, don’t say spite”

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

Looks into your eyes with utter sincerity: I regret murdering the entire biosphere so very very much

While thinking, Because of those pesky Resurrection Beasts. I'd have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling super-powerful ghost abominations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

cows look at sunsets too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
dude plays ipad games at the table during family breakfast and that poo poo is unforgivable