Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I’ve been thinking about getting a dog for while, been doing research and preparing for what to expect. One of the things I’m concerned about is that I already have a cat. Has anyone else here adopted a dog when they already had a cat? How did that process go? What should I expect? If it helps, my cat is curious and a bit outgoing, but definitely doesn’t like when someone is in her face until she gets to know you.

When we adopted a puppy we had two cats, of which we had also adopted separately. To get them to know each other we separated the dog from the cats and let them gain a smell of one another through a doorway. This may take a little time, and it is for the best for both your existing cat, who may be scared, and your dog/puppy, who may not have any experience with cats and could easily get hurt by cat claws.

While it took a little time, eventually they grew to have a mutual respect for one another. They all got along pretty well, although one of my cats got along better with the dog, probably because he was rather aloof and just liked to lay around.

That said, training a puppy can sometimes be a stressful thing, and I would be lying if I said I didn't have more than my fair share of laughs of watching my cats bat my puppy in the face when he wouldn't stop trying to play with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Cosmo has been doing great out of the crate but kept in our living room (where he spends 90% of the day anyway). Last night he was out and roaming around for five hours with no issues! Gamechanger and we're very proud :)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket met a 5 month old German Shepard puppy, and was his cranky self (the third face jumping got a stern bark, making the pup yelp and hide, and then ty and lick an apology from behind and between its owner's legs) but because we each rounded the same block from different directions we saw the puppy again and Brisket ran up to say hi this time. Again a stern correction had to be given, a little too stern so I pushed him away and apologized to the cute little puppy myself.

Then when we get home, as soon as he's off leash he immediately engages in a full zoomies. For like a good five minutes any action from me will set him off to run to the other room, back a few times before gets gets in a low play stance. My guy, this is what the puppy wanted! And now you're telling me this is also what you wanted? Just do it with the puppy!

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to whoever recommended "The Power of Positive Dog Training" earlier in the thread. I pick my dog up next week, and this book has covered pretty much everything I wanted to know about how to start training her when she gets here.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dude McAwesome posted:

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to whoever recommended "The Power of Positive Dog Training" earlier in the thread. I pick my dog up next week, and this book has covered pretty much everything I wanted to know about how to start training her when she gets here.

If it didn't include a chapter on how to post a lot of pictures remember it's important to post a lot of pictures.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
For example, this is Brisket meeting a new pup who is trying to escape and say hi.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

If it didn't include a chapter on how to post a lot of pictures remember it's important to post a lot of pictures.

It didn't but it was a glaring omission

HootTheOwl posted:

For example, this is Brisket meeting a new pup who is trying to escape and say hi.

And I appreciate the example, this is v cute

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

We took Cosmo for a walk to his new favourite pub, where he gets showered in attention and his favourite treats, today

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

In my continuing effort to run the bright out of my Dutch Shepard's eyes I'm setting up a a bicycle leash.

I'm looking for a good running harness that fits dogs shaped like her with smaller necks but expansive cheats. I got one and it's okay, but the size that fits her well in the chest can't quite shrink enough for her neck.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Gangringo posted:

In my continuing effort to run the bright out of my Dutch Shepard's eyes I'm setting up a a bicycle leash.

I'm looking for a good running harness that fits dogs shaped like her with smaller necks but expansive cheats. I got one and it's okay, but the size that fits her well in the chest can't quite shrink enough for her neck.

Are you looking for one specifically for biking? Or just in general?
This is the harness I'm looking at for biking my dog:
https://www.alpineoutfitters.net/collections/harnesses/products/copy-of-urban-trail-adjustable-harness-half-back-shorty-custom-crafted

But I keep buying other things so I still just use the cheapo petsmart H style harness I got for her when she was a puppy or the ruffwear front range (but that one you have to be careful with some styles of clips because they'll pop off if you twist right).

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Gangringo posted:

I miss my Dutch so bad. Yours looks gorgeous. I also had insane problems with getting things to fit right. Either they were too short along her back or not tight enough around her chest

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Today in bizarre discoveries I think either Maria or my dad has taught Holly the "heel" command.

I normally use a different phrase to her when walking but today I said something like "geez dog you need to heel" and her ears perked up and she immediately came to my side and walked there for a long while. :stare:

I thought it was a fluke so I tried it again after she lost her focus. Again, she gave me an interested look and returned to my side like a little robot. I definitely rewarded that one, and I really want to know how on earth they did that. It's like they've installed a cheat code on her, heh.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket has a scab on his head. Don't know how he got it. It's been about a week now, for the first few days he didn't touch it, but then he started scratching it open so now he's got to have a shame cone.
Little guy is not happy.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Adrianics posted:

We took Cosmo for a walk to his new favourite pub, where he gets showered in attention and his favourite treats, today

My wife really wants us to get a shiba, following encountering one with our dog during a visit to the vet. Our dog is foreground, his mini doppelganger is background.

Gangringo posted:

I don't know how available they are worldwide but it sounds like a 'Perfect Fit' harness would fit ... perfectly. You mix and match three components - back/chest/strap and this lets you account for any size and shape. It's good for odd crossbreed combinations that don't fit other harnesses. My dog has one on in the picture above.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 22, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

help

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Turn it off and on again

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

HootTheOwl posted:

Turn it off and on again
thanks! it worked

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Looks normal to me???? What absolute goobers.

Is she missing premolars? There are lines in the US where that's really common, especially in the more working focused lines.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

a strange fowl posted:

thanks! it worked

Make sure to keep petting to prevent this.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

My wife really wants us to get a shiba, following encountering one with our dog during a visit to the vet. Our dog is foreground, his mini doppelganger is background.

Ahhh I had to double-take this photo to realise your dog isn't a shiba lol. What kind of dog is that? They're beautiful!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just got the all-clear phone call for Pongo’s dental surgery. Thankfully with the x-ray they didn’t find any other teeth that needed work, just the two canines that got root canals. His primary form of exercise is fetch, so I really didn’t want to pull them with him being only 4 years old or so.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Adrianics posted:

Ahhh I had to double-take this photo to realise your dog isn't a shiba lol. What kind of dog is that? They're beautiful!

He's half Siberian husky, half American akita.

From this where he was maybe Shiba sized:

To this:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Scout and I went to a barn hunt seminar today. Barn hunt is a sport where dogs search through a maze of straw/hay bales looking for rats (who are safely secured inside pvc tubes with tasty snacks). We were supposed to reward our dogs with really tasty treats when they sniffed the rat tube. Scout sniffed the rat tube and then would not take cheese because she just wanted that rat. By our second time on the course she was dragging me to the start box and air scenting for the rat before I released her. So I guess we have another sport for me to throw money at. It would be cheaper to just feed her $20 bills at this point.

The tube started on top of the bale in the bottom left corner, I had to grab it before she rolled it into the tunnel never to be seen again. There's straw in her mouth because she was trying to gnaw the tube open.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

This is Pepper and she is all tuckered out after moving from the country to the city and she's doing a very good job being brave despite all of the new noises and people.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dude McAwesome posted:

This is Pepper and she is all tuckered out after moving from the country to the city and she's doing a very good job being brave despite all of the new noises and people.

:swoon: such a nice looking girl
Welcome to the thread

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Scout and I went to a barn hunt seminar today. Barn hunt is a sport where dogs search through a maze of straw/hay bales looking for rats (who are safely secured inside pvc tubes with tasty snacks). We were supposed to reward our dogs with really tasty treats when they sniffed the rat tube. Scout sniffed the rat tube and then would not take cheese because she just wanted that rat. By our second time on the course she was dragging me to the start box and air scenting for the rat before I released her. So I guess we have another sport for me to throw money at. It would be cheaper to just feed her $20 bills at this point.

The tube started on top of the bale in the bottom left corner, I had to grab it before she rolled it into the tunnel never to be seen again. There's straw in her mouth because she was trying to gnaw the tube open.

Well, it's nice to know your dog is actually a normal dog and you don't have mind control over them! Coz sometimes your posts here leave me with some very mild envy. :v:

(This is 100% what my dog would do, without a question.)

Dude McAwesome posted:

What a good girl :swoon:

Obedience classes started today, and Holly has decided to start demand/attention barking because I wouldn't let her investigate/play with other dogs. Besides that, she was actually pretty good (especially for a dog I couldn't walk before class coz it was too hot outside).

Oh well, we're working on it. In a couple of weeks I'm having a dog behaviourist out to our place to work with us on Holly's confidence with delivery people and manners with visitors, as well as her leash walking. I think a lot of this will improve in time, she's 11 months old and still very much full of that puppy excitability, but I'm about 4 months pregnant and know we've got a bit of a deadline before the house rules surrounding visitors and going for walks will need to change.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket had a boo boo on his head so he got the cone so he'd stop scratching it.
But it snowed

So I took it off him, since it had been a few days.
He started scratching again

So the cone is back on.
Like I said, but a big deal but he can't keep picking open his scab

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

When you want to stay in bed but also want that buffalo horn waaaay over there

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Ours does that in the summer when she sleeps

We think it's to not lose her bearings when she wakes up?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh my god I love these dogs so much!!!

Thanks for the advice itt when I asked too. Really appreciated that. I’ll be back here to post my new pup and the OG with some more questions too.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

froglet posted:

Well, it's nice to know your dog is actually a normal dog and you don't have mind control over them! Coz sometimes your posts here leave me with some very mild envy. :v:

Oh Scout is an absolute shitgoblin and I regularly threaten to turn her into a hat. We do All The Things because otherwise she's completely insufferable! She's also almost 3 and has improved hugely in the last year. The first 18 months were a total shitshow of just praying eventually the daily training would kick in. Luckily it did!

Holly sounds absolutely delightful and like a totally normal 11 month old puppy. I hope you have a lot of fun in training!

HootTheOwl posted:

Brisket had a boo boo on his head so he got the cone so he'd stop scratching it.

Poor bud! That looks really ouchie. Shaving it a bit might make it heal quicker. Sometimes when they have long hair those types of wounds stay moist and take forever to heal. They look stupid but it can really help (I say as my pyr has a huge naked spot on her butt from a hot spot).

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

sometimes i feel guilty that i don't have time to stop and say "good dog" individually to every single good dog posted in this thread, which is all of them :3:

froglet, the holly saga makes me laugh because caboodles are the one breed that are too full-on even for iris. she can handle anything else, but it's hilarious watching her scoot away from these tiny dancing curly lamb creatures like "i was bred to be kicked in the head by oxen, but you, you are too much"

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
My 7 YO with our 11 month old dog at the last class of our first round of agility classes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62S_4Zcm1CY

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chin Strap posted:

My 7 YO with our 11 month old dog at the last class of our first round of agility classes.

That trot :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chin Strap posted:

I love this so much! I'm always so happy to see kids at dog sport events :3: I always make a point of telling juniors how great they're doing when I see them.

For those who think Scout is somehow a very good dog and not a terrible agent of chaos, she just managed to open a door (that opens inward!), dump an entire huge bottle of dish soap on my hardwood floor, dump an expensive coat supplement powder on top of that, then somehow got the dishwasher open and got this mixture as well as a bunch of slobber on my clean dishes. She's now worn out from her adventures.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

For those who think Scout is somehow a very good dog and not a terrible agent of chaos, she just managed to open a door (that opens inward!), dump an entire huge bottle of dish soap on my hardwood floor, dump an expensive coat supplement powder on top of that, then somehow got the dishwasher open and got this mixture as well as a bunch of slobber on my clean dishes. She's now worn out from her adventures.

the best dog :swoon:

cattledogs are maybe not as constantly naughty as some other breeds, but when they decide to act up they do it spectacularly

e: as i was typing that, iris decided to jump off the bed and headfirst into the wall with a tremendous bang

e2: then she went outside and dug a hole in the solid gravel path big enough to bury a basketball in :psyduck:

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 1, 2023

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Oh Scout is an absolute shitgoblin and I regularly threaten to turn her into a hat. We do All The Things because otherwise she's completely insufferable! She's also almost 3 and has improved hugely in the last year. The first 18 months were a total shitshow of just praying eventually the daily training would kick in. Luckily it did!

Holly sounds absolutely delightful and like a totally normal 11 month old puppy. I hope you have a lot of fun in training!

Poor bud! That looks really ouchie. Shaving it a bit might make it heal quicker. Sometimes when they have long hair those types of wounds stay moist and take forever to heal. They look stupid but it can really help (I say as my pyr has a huge naked spot on her butt from a hot spot).

Hahaha, she is delightful, and it's nice to know I'm not alone in the "I have a extra gremlin dog" space! However, even when she's being a gremlin... It's hard to be mad, and having a three week break from her antics has definitely recharged my patience.

Maybe I'll share some pictures tonight!

a strange fowl posted:

sometimes i feel guilty that i don't have time to stop and say "good dog" individually to every single good dog posted in this thread, which is all of them :3:

froglet, the holly saga makes me laugh because caboodles are the one breed that are too full-on even for iris. she can handle anything else, but it's hilarious watching her scoot away from these tiny dancing curly lamb creatures like "i was bred to be kicked in the head by oxen, but you, you are too much"

Not that it matters, but Holly's an Australian cobberdog. Think "fancy Labradoodle" and you're basically there - labradoodles with one or two other things bred in to be low-shedding, highly intelligent and trainable (this includes "training" them in all the wrong things :negative:), and are intended to be used as therapy pets, emotional support dogs, guide dogs, etc... Though I joke I mainly need therapy as a result of the dog.

She's a bit bigger than a cavoodle, but is 100% a "dancing curly lamb creature" that even more energetic dogs like my parents and brothers kelpie/blue heeler cross dogs frequently find to be too much.

... Though I think my parents and brothers dogs suspect Holly is an exotic sheep that thinks she's a dog.

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Our 1 year old neutered rescue pup has developed a significant issue with space guarding. He's OK at home with a couple dogs he knows and is fine at the dog park, but he gets snarly and snappy when we take him somewhere with a table or bench he can get under and protect. If we abandon the table he goes back to normal almost immediately. He also doesn't like new dogs being in the house but will play with them just fine in the yard. He seems to be getting worse - we take him to day care 2x a week and he's usually great there but was snappy with other pups when he was trying to take a nap yesterday which is the first time he's exhibited this behavior away from us (he did have a long day on Tuesday and may have just been exhausted). He doesn't seem to be protective of toys or food, just his space.

He's extremely sweet and gentle around people and we want him to be a good boy with dogs too. The internet doesn't seem to have any great suggestions, just "talk with a trainer." We already are working with a trainer who has been extremely helpful with other stuff but can only get time with them so often and he seems to be changing for the worse day by day. Any suggestions?

Dog Tax:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

He's getting to the age of social maturity where many dogs no longer want to socialize with a lot of random dogs in public. Adult humans generally don't want to go play with a bunch of strangers and many adult dogs are the same. He may simply not be a dog who enjoys daycare or parks with rude dogs invading his space. Personally, I feel like those are valid needs and I would just manage him by not taking him places where dogs are going to corner him under a bench and putting him away someplace safe when you have dogs over in the house. The Control Unleashed and Behavior Adjustment Training books both have good methods for working on reactive dogs if you're concerned about him getting worse though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My second dog really needed a crate just to be able to nap in, even at a daycare. Otherwise fine, but will go aggressive out of sleep if woken. Is he protecting the table or bench or trying to take a nap?