Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

that and every single enemy having different sprites depending on how much damage they'd taken

They didn't have to put in the effort for it but I'm glad they did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bruceski posted:

FFMQ was simple, but great for what it was. Music slapped, gameplay was good enough.

I never owned FF4 (rented it multiple times) or FF6 (borrowed it from a friend), MQ was the first FF game I actually bought at a used game shop, it was great

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

put down theatrhythm to play some more of jack's game. finished cycling through the main missions on Chaos difficulty to unlock some job uncaps and increase my gear level, and moved on to the first dlc and Bahamut difficulty. once of the patches decreased the difficulty of Chaos and Bahamut difficulties, but I am dying more to bosses on Bahamut. Maybe the trial modifiers I'm using aren't helping matters, but I still kinda found a groove to playing through it.

been leaning on the axe weapon type more and more. just something really fun about being able to max charge a weapon skill and obliterate a boss's break bar.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Detective No. 27 posted:

he pissed his sleeping bag that night.

because of you nuking his save, or..?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I do think they spaffed FF14's track list, just about half the representation is from ARR including a load of mid field and trial tracks from before the game found it's feet but they still didn't include The Maker's Ruin in that list and then the expansion picks are good but there's barely of them, no Heavensward or any variant of the Ishgard theme and a ton of brilliant trial/raid themes left on the table too. I really would buy a season pass that is just all FF14 all the time to fill in the missing pieces

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 19, 2023

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

They picked the wrong Heavensward boss theme.

Revenge Twofold is the far superior song to Ominous Prognisticks.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Im in the middle of life stuff and cant swing a $100 purchase atm but I have over 10 hours in the demo and all my Final Fantasy dudes are Level 40. It's a lot of fun hearing everybody's takes!

FFXIV has SO MANY beloved and iconic music tracks for any sort of work, it's staggering. After I you guys said that Battle 1.x wasnt in, and the fact that we got two different versions of Y'shtola, I realized a lot of hard calls were going on that I wouldnt entirely jive with, so:

No Dignity posted:

I really would buy a season pass that is just all FF14 all the time to fill in the missing pieces

pls & ty

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

No Dignity posted:

I do think they spaffed FF14's track list, just about half the representation is from ARR including a load of mid field and trial tracks from before the game found it's feet but they still didn't include The Maker's Ruin in that list and then the expansion picks are good but there's barely of them, no Heavensward or any variant of the Ishgard theme and a ton of brilliant trial/raid themes left on the table too. I really would buy a season pass that is just all FF14 all the time to fill in the missing pieces

Makes sense since a lot of the ARR tracks are nostalgic at this point.

I don't think they needed Ifrit's theme, but I can see why they included it.

I guess Oblivion is practically a Heavensward theme at this point considering how much Ysayle was a core part of it, sometimes I even forget that it's technically an ARR theme.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
also certainly Im not the only one but I always thought the chorus of Through The Maelstrom has bigtime TV Party Tonight Black Flag energy and its one of the tracks Im excited to head for first when I bounce back to XIV after clearing Mystic Quest

swell ye seas of old, Leviathan, Leviathan~

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Considering how good the last few songs have been from Endwalker, there's just a lot of songs that I'd like to see in Theatrhythm. Anyways, protip, invest in Terra just cause she's been my main go-to for boss killing for the boss killing quests, and she's able to dual-cast her boss nuking skills. Honest, anyone who's able to dual cast is probably worth investing in just cause I suspect that's one of the ways to clear the use many abilities quests. I've been pairing Terra with Kefka and Rinoa, just cause Kefka can inflict mini, and Rinoa should just be in every magic team. Cid Raines ended up being my solution for clearing the Emperor, but that was also before Terra learned Ultima.

Anyways, there's similar setups you can probably run with Cloud/Chaos/Sephiroth for physical teams. Aranea's an interesting character to pick for boss killing too, since hers is actually unlimited unlike everyone else who has only one shot, though it's unlikely you'll run stages where you'll have to kill multiple bosses. She's got Silence Buster though just for stopping Exdeath from petrifying all your nukers right away. I suspect AC Cloud needs a very specific team comp to be any good, but he might be only useful just for one very long song anyways. Faris is probably also worth investing in just cause she can dual-wield all her skills though I haven't experimented to much with her yet. Vivi is basically her magical equivalent being able to dual cast every spell he's got.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Noctis' boss ability is also unlimited, not sure whose else is. I suspect it might be the non-elemental ones, since Cloud/Squall's are elemental, but I haven't unlocked/levelled everyone yet.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Songs with bosses first up, proccing Play Rough as soon as things begin and making sure you have Faith and Enspell really show that Shantotto was indeed more powerful than the Shadowlord.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I do have everyone's unique skill unlocked so I can confirm that only Noctis and Aranea have unlimited uses on their boss nuking skills. Aranea has a pretty good supporting kit though, with Ultima Blade, Berserk, and a few other elemental blades for good measure. Noctis's toolkit is a lot more limited, and I suspect he's more suited for field maps considering his high agility and his skill is scaled off his strength and agility. I feel like there's probably a bunch of better team comps you can build for speeding and boss killing without Noctis though, since Chocobo and Onion Knight will straight up give you a speed boost among other things.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

rinoa that is not appropriate

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Noctis also has Holy, and while his Magic isn't the best it's okay for a physical attacker and serves as an extra nuke. Being non-elemental also means it's good against bosses like Chaos that resist everything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jesus, I just realized the quest mode does not contain all of the Final Fantasy songs (minus DLC obviously) you can play. There is so much content here, and tons of challenges to take on. 20 hours in and I have all of the quest mode songs cleared up through Final Fantasy XIII series.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

kirbysuperstar posted:

rinoa that is not appropriate

Shantotto’s regular pose gets a laugh or smile out of me everyone I see it. She is not impressed. Do not step to the mad magician.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Onion Knight's stats outside Agility and Luck might be terrible, but his unique skill Sprint might make him one of the best fixer-upper characters for FMS levels- Super-Haste on top of a 50% reduction on requirements to trigger abilities make him a potent utility damage character with some scrolls and stat ups.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mr. Locke posted:

Onion Knight's stats outside Agility and Luck might be terrible, but his unique skill Sprint might make him one of the best fixer-upper characters for FMS levels- Super-Haste on top of a 50% reduction on requirements to trigger abilities make him a potent utility damage character with some scrolls and stat ups.

sick! I love obtuse Magikarp types. are there any more like that in the game? Im going all in on Bartz in the demo rn.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A couple of important notes for Theatrhythm.

First off, there's a chance you get a Black Screen of Death and ruin your save file. I don't think anything's concrete yet, but it seems to be linked to changes without saving with a song. The main culprit seems to be deleting summonstones and then closing the game without playing a song afterward to "save", but someone mentioned it happening after doing the same from unlocking a Feat. So to be safe, always end every session by playing a song and doing nothing else.

Second, it seems the bar charts for FBL are a good chunk behind what they were in CC and the Arcade release. It's suggested to move the delays to -15, but even that may not be enough, and particularly so for certain TVs. This video explains it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Q6VBn8dh0

So if it feels like the notes aren't matching the beats of the songs, that's probably why.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Got a strange request: anyone here have a screenshot of the FFT phone port main menu options? The iOS port is showing a black screen for me but I can still click on things. I want to change volume and turn off the extra prompts and a picture will allow me to guess at it. Thanks.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

wizard2 posted:

sick! I love obtuse Magikarp types. are there any more like that in the game? Im going all in on Bartz in the demo rn.

The other big one I've seen is Princess Sarah. She's a Healer and not a very good one in terms of healing abilities or stats... but she gets Age-old Hymn for her unique skill, which cancels out the first THREE instances of Status Effects in a song which is absolutely massive for a lot of teams that can otherwise chew through enemies fast enough to run into problems with tracks with lots of status-spammers, especially Stone/Toad. Restat and reskill her otherwise into something that looks like a decent damage dealer and break her out for any track that's loaded with status effects.

Another 'needs help' character I've been trying to solve is Golbez. Onyx Dragon is a MASSIVE 2.5x magical damage multiplier for Golbez who's already got an great native Magic stat, but only activates once you've killed six enemies. I'm trying to figure out what kind of team will let him kick into Onyx Dragon nice and early, but there's just a lot of songs where six enemies is a pretty big ask even with a team of roided out muggers who can absolutely paste a bunch of chumps. I think the ultimate answer is going to be a good team after a LOT of stat ups, and otherwise get saved for stages which start with a lot of chaff for now.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

bees x1000 posted:

Got a strange request: anyone here have a screenshot of the FFT phone port main menu options? The iOS port is showing a black screen for me but I can still click on things. I want to change volume and turn off the extra prompts and a picture will allow me to guess at it. Thanks.

This?

I'm on android so not sure if it makes a difference

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Second, it seems the bar charts for FBL are a good chunk behind what they were in CC and the Arcade release. It's suggested to move the delays to -15, but even that may not be enough, and particularly so for certain TVs. This video explains it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Q6VBn8dh0

So if it feels like the notes aren't matching the beats of the songs, that's probably why.

i just made this adjustment and started one of my favorite charts (Battle 1 for FFIX, Ultimate) and my score promptly dropped from 920k to 830k despite getting a perfect chain

maybe it's because i use the trigger sfx as mentioned in the video, but i'd say that if the defaults work for you then you should stick with them

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Definitely, if what you've been doing works for you then go with that. Figure this might help some people out though.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

fridge corn posted:

This?

I'm on android so not sure if it makes a difference

yeah that's it, I'll give it a shot. thank you.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

There was some calibration screen from pressing Square on the trigger input timing slider,, definitely helped after I used it recently.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

wizard2 posted:

Red XIII's stats are kinda middling everywhere but he can basically convert himself/the team into a glass cannon - Sacrifice gives him 140 Str in exchange for taking more damage, and his unique Howling Moon gives the party 60 STR/AGI in exchange for taking more damage. He also gets Cheer for more buffing so he's a pretty decent support bot, or you can give him an actual physical ability to make use of his roided out STR (his actual offensive abilities are limited to First Strike and uh, Tornado).

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

There was some calibration screen from pressing Square on the trigger input timing slider,, definitely helped after I used it recently.

I also found when I use different controllers I have to redo calibration. My Nintendo Pro Controller and my 8Bit Do+ have different latencies or something.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

djfooboo posted:

I also found when I use different controllers I have to redo calibration. My Nintendo Pro Controller and my 8Bit Do+ have different latencies or something.

controller latency is definitely a real thing, especially for bluetooth vs wired controllers

It's a pretty small amount, but added on top of everything else it can for sure make a difference, especially for rhythm games where timing is very precise

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

YoshiOfYellow posted:

For you, mayhaps. Ominous Prognisticks is one of my favorite generic boss themes in FFXIV, period, and I'm grateful to see it represented.

I don't dislike Revenge Twofold, though, and it would be welcome in an FFXIV megapack.

Also, Heavensward's piano-played night themes would be amazing additions for traveling.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Bell_ posted:

For you, mayhaps. Ominous Prognisticks is one of my favorite generic boss themes in FFXIV, period, and I'm grateful to see it represented.

Is this the Thordan fight? I like that song but it sucks that it only shows up for like, the last 10% of the fight. One of my favorite transitions, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FireWorksWell posted:

Is this the Thordan fight? I like that song but it sucks that it only shows up for like, the last 10% of the fight. One of my favorite transitions, though.

I think it's the music that plays for the final boss during Heavensward 4-man Dungeons.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

They're both real good and the real enemy is the 2.0 chaff music that sucks. Though I'd wager that all made it in because it was already in curtain call.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm not gonna lie n it's been so long since I wandered around the original ARR zones that hearing some of the field themes in here is pretty nice

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Curtain Call's XIV rep was all ARR and nothing else so it's free for them to keep all that stuff in even if it overwhelms the rest of the game's representation. It was my first time running into all of that music though, so when I finally did play XIV I could point at the screen and be like I know that one!! Wow!

I've gotten to the ending of every series quest now so I have every character and every song available. My teams seem pretty good but they're still unable to clear several of the missions that require big boss clears or lots of enemy kills. Phys is Zidane/Orlandeau/Paine/Chaos, and magic is Tyro/Seymour/Garnet/Shantotto. I forgot a few of the big recommendations for other stuff, but I think that maybe I should raise a pure summon team for the missions that require summon-related things at the very least, and maybe get some other busters in. A lot of the villains you unlock for clearing Series Quests seem pretty good. Sarah would also be nice for cleansing statuses because those certainly affect my damage way more than anything else I feel like. Any other big recommendations? Sephiroth, Cloud, Rinoa, Terra, Vivi... I'd like to 100% quests at some point for sure. Orlandeau doesn't even seem that good when he was stupid broken in Curtain Call, cause of how little high damage abilities he actually has.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Are there any villain healers?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm not gonna lie n it's been so long since I wandered around the original ARR zones that hearing some of the field themes in here is pretty nice

I was more complaining about the arr fight music. The land breathes, nemesis and hard to miss were never particularly good. Not sure who is real attached to Engage either. Primal Judgement has always been kinda lousy and I could do without good king moogle mog which is a fun meme but I usually skip it when it comes up on my music playlist. A light in the storm also terrible but this forum in general inexplicably loves it so maybe its me and not the kids who are wrong on that one.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Alxprit posted:

Curtain Call's XIV rep was all ARR and nothing else so it's free for them to keep all that stuff in even if it overwhelms the rest of the game's representation. It was my first time running into all of that music though, so when I finally did play XIV I could point at the screen and be like I know that one!! Wow!

I've gotten to the ending of every series quest now so I have every character and every song available. My teams seem pretty good but they're still unable to clear several of the missions that require big boss clears or lots of enemy kills. Phys is Zidane/Orlandeau/Paine/Chaos, and magic is Tyro/Seymour/Garnet/Shantotto. I forgot a few of the big recommendations for other stuff, but I think that maybe I should raise a pure summon team for the missions that require summon-related things at the very least, and maybe get some other busters in. A lot of the villains you unlock for clearing Series Quests seem pretty good. Sarah would also be nice for cleansing statuses because those certainly affect my damage way more than anything else I feel like. Any other big recommendations? Sephiroth, Cloud, Rinoa, Terra, Vivi... I'd like to 100% quests at some point for sure. Orlandeau doesn't even seem that good when he was stupid broken in Curtain Call, cause of how little high damage abilities he actually has.

I'll admit that I've grinded some of these characters up significantly with attribute ups/cards/whatnot so this may not 100% apply. But for me what has been working so far is:

Physical:

1. Garland: Decent strength without any strength ups (260 at level 99), his unique ability Deranged Soul multiplies all the party's physical abilities by 1.3 the second a boss shows up. Some of these songs have bosses show up within the first enemy group or two, which makes this insanely useful! Less so the end bosses on each of the series quests since those tend to be more around group 4-5.

2. Cloud: Just simply has great abilities. Omnislash does moderate wind damage 3 times the second a boss shows up, naturally learns ultima blade and added cut. Nothing special but gets the job done.

3. Chaos: High stats (261 strength and 204 magic) which means his ability Utter Chaos wrecks bosses. Gets Ultima Blade too which helps. Can also be made into more of general killer with sacrifice/elemental blades.

4. Squall: Cloud except with ice element to his abilities instead of wind and no ultima blade, so Cloud's better unless you need to hit ice weaknesses (which is more common than you'd think).

More utility/situational physical:

1. Galuf: High strength (246 at level 99), has barrage and fire/fira/firaga blades. Special ability is Ianiuki, which deals moderate fire damage to all targets when the second battle starts. Very useful for clearing a battle quickly so you can get to the boss quicker.

2. Gilgamesh: Ridiculous strength (272!), has meteor blade. Main thing with him is his ability Morphing Time which multiplies his physical abilities by 2.5. It's takes quite a few triggers to activate so he's more useful for killing bosses who show up later (like end bosses in series quests).

For Magic:

1. Ace: relatively low magic (something like 180 at level 99? But his ability Cut Cards is stupid: it reduces the amount of triggers needed to activate his abilities by 50%. It actually allows him to cast Firaga more than twice in a battle! Very focused on fire magic, only other non-fire spell is Tornado which doesn't synergize well with Cut Cards (since it can only be casted twice).

2. Vincent: Also fire focused with fire/fira/firaga and his unique ability, Satan Slam (high fire damage, requires very little triggers overall and can be casted twice, but reduces strength by 50 each time). His real utility lies in the fact he learns all, which makes his magic target EVERYBODY. Doesn't split the damage either, which makes him really really useful for clearing enemy groups.

3. Terra: She was a boss nuke in Curtain Call and that hasn't changed here. Learns Dualcast, learns Ultima, and Riotblade is massive single-target fire damage to the boss. Also learns Meteor Blade which is somehow useful on her since she has a good Strength stat as well (181) though doesn't work with dualcast

4. Vivi: Good magic stat (257), learns Fire and Thunder magic, has an even better version of Dualcast (Dual Black Magic, which strengthens his magic by 1.1) and also learns meteor for good measure

This is just a start mind you, I haven't really dug into all of the boss characters and from what I understand, Golbez and Edea have great utility, but that should get you started at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

OneMoreTime posted:

I'll admit that I've grinded some of these characters up significantly with attribute ups/cards/whatnot so this may not 100% apply. But for me what has been working so far is:

quoting this to reference later