Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Arc Hammer posted:

My bigger question is where all the colonies are being built. There's a Colony Builder working on Industrial 7 in Unicorn but is it the only one? Is it like Tycho Station in The Expanse where it's actually a ship that travels around to asteroids only instead of spinning them up for centripetal gravity they just nom them up to fart out fresh cylinders?

Iirc it’s explained at some point that they move mineral rich asteroids to the Lagrange points and mine them out to build the sides. Luna II was a hollowed out resource asteroid before getting retrofitted into a military base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm pretty sure all the major asteroid bases are former resource satellites: A Boao Qu, Axis, Solomon, Luna II, Fifth Luna etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So they'd tow them into place and then do resource extraction or they plant the Colony Builder onto one end and out pops a cylinder.

They must have been busy as hell between 0080 and 0087.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Didn’t they also mine a bunch of metal on the moon and use a launch rail setup to put it into earth orbit?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You can tell it's early Kamille, too, since there's multiple mentions of how he's NOT A SOLDIER despite piloting a Mobile Suit as a member of an armed radical group.

For FTL versus the colonies, I think it's relevant that, especially at the time Gundam was made, space colonies were considered something that could be made with the technology of the time. The only question was political will and comparative cost. (What's more, once you get orbital infrastructure, asteroids would give all the material you could want for cheap.) More recent studies have been more skeptical, but that's judging Gundam's realism by standards it couldn't have even known about. Including them was working with the most up-to-date proposals for future life in space.

FTL, meanwhile, is (and was) categorically impossible according to pretty much every relevant study, with every exception turning out to be measuring errors. Including it is changing your setting for narrative convenience, abandoning realism entirely, at least on that point.

(Also, even if no-one else cares, I still think Urdr Hunt's Julietta flashback is interesting. Turns out, unlike most young prodigy characters in Gundam, she had three years of experience under Galan and Rustal's commands when we first met her, after years of formal training in Gjallarhorn's orphanariums and some time in the field, even if she kept getting tossed back into training for insubordination.

Seems Gjallarhorn pilots start young in general, between her history and Gaelio being an ex test pilot. Kinda makes sense, though. If your founding legend is about scrappy young pilots saving humanity, and if most assignments are safe, then having teenagers get some piloting experience under controlled conditions would be a mark of pride for the major families.)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Waffleman how did you forget about the furry planet?

excuse me, what?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Technowolf posted:

excuse me, what?

Gundam Build Divers: Re:Rise turned out halfway in to not be a mission in an MMO, but a portal to connect to the planet Eldora where nanomachines make artificial bodies for players to interact with the natives, who are basically animal people. (They used to be a servant species for the precursors, but the precursors sorta went extinct, so they were left in charge.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 21, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Technowolf posted:

excuse me, what?

Gigantic Re:Rise spoilers(you should watch the show, it's an incredibly good show):

The Divers sub-franchise mostly takes place in the confines a giant VR MMO based around Gundam, where people scan in their gunpla and then do full dive VR to enter the game and pilot their Gunpla in either PvE or PvP stuff across a variety of areas ranging from "canon Gundam settings" to "made up fantasy stuff". By the same token, characters range from normal human Feddie/Zeon soldiers to superheroes, catgirls, and furry martial artists.

In Re:Rise, the protagonist crew forms a party and ends up finding a glitchy-looking quest portal that takes them to a new area no one has seen before - a medieval-ish tech level planet populated by friendly furry people who are currently being attacked by mysterious mobile suits. Thinking it's some kind of beta or unintentionally released quest, the crew gets really into solving it, but stuff happens and it turns out that it's not a quest at all. Whenever they go through the glitchy quest portal, they are pretty much being physically isekaied as their VRMMO characters to an actual other planet and all of the furry people there are actual living people instead of game NPCs.

This, of course, changes their priorities and approach by, uh, a lot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The best part of Re:Rise is when the people the writers wanted us to like lose like the scrubs they are and furry capital city gets death starred by the AI about halfway through.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Despite seeing Re:Rise's twist a mile away it's actual reveal was handled pretty good in the series and really helped it feel like the most Gundam of the Build series

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Midjack posted:

The best part of Re:Rise is when the people the writers wanted us to like lose like the scrubs they are and furry capital city gets death starred by the AI about halfway through.

And it was all because the youtuber teammate who just wants cheevos did the equivalent of button mashing to skip cutscenes and accidentally clued in the AI about the furry capital.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

ReRise was really cool and was a great way to expand the build series after the wet fart of the first VR show.

Also the Core Gundam is cool and I was hoping they'd do a MG version of it. It's basically Mega Man.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

amigolupus posted:

And it was all because the youtuber teammate who just wants cheevos did the equivalent of button mashing to skip cutscenes and accidentally clued in the AI about the furry capital.

He failed to uphold Brannigan's Law. However he did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All I've ever wanted

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

So they'd tow them into place and then do resource extraction or they plant the Colony Builder onto one end and out pops a cylinder.

They must have been busy as hell between 0080 and 0087.

How many colonies were actually destroyed beyond repair? A lot of the destroyed colonies would probably be fairly simple to get in working order if they were just gassed or had a hole punched in them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kazami had probably the most fleshed out arc in Re:Rise: He started off furthest behind, being not just bad at the game (like Par) but also thinking he was actually good at the game (Dunning-Kreuger). He gets a lot of people killed, has to sit down and reckon with that, decide who he wants to be as a person and falls in love with a furry at the same time. All this leads to him getting two of the best finisher shots in the show - King Mode and Becoming A Funnel.

Watch Re:Rise, it's good. The hype is real.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Can you imagine being the poor mf who has to identify all the gassing victims, find their kin, and give them a burial.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

wdarkk posted:

Didn’t they also mine a bunch of metal on the moon and use a launch rail setup to put it into earth orbit?

Maybe? I'm not actually sure if that was ever described in gundam as a thing that happened but that was the plan in O'Neill's actual outline of a potential path to orbital habitation as written in the 70s.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Can you imagine being the poor mf who has to identify all the gassing victims, find their kin, and give them a burial.

No, because that MF probably doesn't exist. Just shove them into space once you get around to rebuilding a colony, and if some people are still alive, then they can file the paperwork themselves.

I mean, look at 30 Bunch.

For Build Divers, meanwhile

It's very funny that Kazami's terrible early streams will be considered some of the most important documentary work in the history of mankind. He's going to be the Xenophon of the 21st century.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

chrome line posted:

How many colonies were actually destroyed beyond repair? A lot of the destroyed colonies would probably be fairly simple to get in working order if they were just gassed or had a hole punched in them.

From the Gundam Wiki, it looks like all the Sides between Zeon and the Earth (so almost all) lost at least some colonies and Side 5 was almost completely destroyed during Loum.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's probably worth mentioning that the human population was cut in half by the One Year War. That plus the fact that many colonies were probably 'salvageable' makes the lift a lot more realistic, even before corner cuts like Sweetwater come into the picture--IIRC it was explicitly two half-finished colonies welded together to spin up a refugee containment tank as fast as possible. I somehow doubt Sweetwater was the only example of this immediately following the One Year War.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

It doesn't take the easy route of "oh yeah, we have FTL" but it does take the easy route in that the O'Neill cylinders are basically just magic. There were dozens, if not hundreds of them built across several Sides in the couple of decades before the original show, almost all of which were destroyed in a nearly negligibly easy fashion despite how immense they are and then within a handful of years they might as well never have been destroyed at all and the setting just goes on as if the Sides are back to a status quo. The actual construction of them is of no trouble or consequence, and just kind of happens between shows when convenient or necessary despite the sheer amount of itme and resources it should take to make just one; never mind the dozens or hundreds that UC has had.

In it's own way what Gundam does do is more magical than FTL, and is less about "exploration of space" and more about "exploration of the sociology of space habitation".

tsob posted:

Sure, and I don't really have a problem with the conceit in general; I just feel it's kind of odd to single out Gundam as a franchise for not taking an easy route by using FTL when it handwaves the construction of O'Neill cylinders at basically every turn. Which stands out all the more given that production of mobile suits and/or ships and other structures is of some concern in quite a few shows. It takes the Federation the guts of a year to build back up a notable space fleet in the original show for instance. Which is a bit odd when they can pump out dozens of colonies that measure in the miles long range within a couple of years. They should possess resource satellites nearly on par with the automated factory satellites in Macross for that kind of production, but they definitely don't.

you are correct that despite doing one fairly unique thing for a science fiction setting, not every single setting detail of gundam is similarly measured against the physical reality of realizing those concepts. one might say that it's not that gundam is uniquely a grounded and realistic setting, but rather that some of the specific details it chooses to take a realistic route on are rarely seen explored to that degree. i'm sorry that by voicing appreciation for one particular setting concept i have implied that the gundam universal century in its totality meets that same standard. thank you for setting the record straight that the fighting giant robots show is, in fact, not entirely hard scifi.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Of course that brings up the question of how were there even enough people left alive outside of Sides 3 and 6(and I guess Earth and the Moon) for it to be really worth rebuilding any colony cylinders in the first place if Sides 1, 2, 4, and 5 were as devastated by the initial opening salvos and gassings of the OYW as they should have been, but that aspect of the OYW has basically always been ignored from a Watsonian perspective in favor of the logical if dull Doylist answer of "wouldn't really be possible to do much after the OYW if we didn't just handwave away just how much the Federation should have been crippled by it compared to what we do see in later works"

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

drrockso20 posted:

Of course that brings up the question of how were there even enough people left alive outside of Sides 3 and 6(and I guess Earth and the Moon) for it to be really worth rebuilding any colony cylinders in the first place if Sides 1, 2, 4, and 5 were as devastated by the initial opening salvos and gassings of the OYW as they should have been, but that aspect of the OYW has basically always been ignored from a Watsonian perspective in favor of the logical if dull Doylist answer of "wouldn't really be possible to do much after the OYW if we didn't just handwave away just how much the Federation should have been crippled by it compared to what we do see in later works"

There's a pretty clear degradation in the power of the federation in MSG -> Zeta -> ZZ at least. First they're parasitized by the Titans and then by the time Neo Zeon dropped the colony on Dublin (don't even get me started on the logistics of THAT) the Federation is basically shown to be a hollowed out shell with leadership that barely cares about the war and can't take care of its own citizens. Then Bright and company dragged them to victory (not Victory, small v).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Randallteal posted:

There's a pretty clear degradation in the power of the federation in MSG -> Zeta -> ZZ at least. First they're parasitized by the Titans and then by the time Neo Zeon dropped the colony on Dublin (don't even get me started on the logistics of THAT) the Federation is basically shown to be a hollowed out shell with leadership that barely cares about the war and can't take care of its own citizens. Then Bright and company dragged them to victory (not Victory, small v).

Pretty much everything about the Dublin drop, from the logistics of starting it to the politics of ignoring it to the long term consequences (or lack thereof) makes very little sense.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Randallteal posted:

There is of course, in fact I've pointed it out a bunch in the past, the thing is it should be even worse, basically so bad the Federation should have pretty much immediately collapsed after the war, rather than how it does go in canon where they manage to just bleed out over the following century due to a bizarre and highly improbable(even for fiction) mix of good and bad luck on both their part and of their enemies

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

Pretty much everything about the Dublin drop, from the logistics of starting it to the politics of ignoring it to the long term consequences (or lack thereof) makes very little sense.

The "politics of ignoring it" boil down to "the Federation officials currently in power already believe that Axis's victory is completely assured and are eagerly awaiting their chance to assume positions as quislings in the new regime". The military situation in ZZ was "Axis functionally controls all of space in the Earth Sphere barring wherever the Argama happens to be at a given moment", so it's not terribly hard to imagine them being able to maneuver a colony into position for a drop. The Delaz Fleet managing to do the same in 0083 is way less plausible.

drrockso20 posted:

There is of course, in fact I've pointed it out a bunch in the past, the thing is it should be even worse, basically so bad the Federation should have pretty much immediately collapsed after the war, rather than how it does go in canon where they manage to just bleed out over the following century due to a bizarre and highly improbable(even for fiction) mix of good and bad luck on both their part and of their enemies

The OYW itself didn't break the Federation's strength. They built, supplied, and financed the largest army in history *after* the worst devastation of the OYW had already occurred. They still had a lot of military gas in the tank up until Zeta, which basically saw their military disintegrate itself in a violent civil war and they were never given a chance to ever recover.

Also, the thing to remember is that despite Zeon's propaganda, most people seemed to believe in the Federation as of the OYW. The colony bunches that Zeon destroyed willingly chose immediate death and destruction rather than betray the Federation, and even the ones that dodged that bullet did it in a backhanded way - for example, Side 6's "neutrality" was a complete scam fabricated to protect them from Zeon attack while they did everything they could to continue helping the Federation under the table(weapons testing) and willingly rejoined the Federation after the war was over. This suggests a measure of loyalty that would act as a strong brake against any sort of immediate balkanization and disintegration even if the Federation didn't still have the strongest and largest army in history circa 0080-0081.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

For FTL versus the colonies, I think it's relevant that, especially at the time Gundam was made, space colonies were considered something that could be made with the technology of the time. The only question was political will and comparative cost. (What's more, once you get orbital infrastructure, asteroids would give all the material you could want for cheap.) More recent studies have been more skeptical, but that's judging Gundam's realism by standards it couldn't have even known about. Including them was working with the most up-to-date proposals for future life in space.

FTL, meanwhile, is (and was) categorically impossible according to pretty much every relevant study, with every exception turning out to be measuring errors. Including it is changing your setting for narrative convenience, abandoning realism entirely, at least on that point.

I don't really think it is relevant honestly, because Tomino wasn't using O'Neill colonies to comment on anything or as any kind of sci-fi hook and everything in the original show followed from pretty simple narrative necessity. He used O'Neill cylinders because it gave the mobile suits some place they could stand in space that'd be more visually interesting than constant black backgrounds with pinpricks of light and the occasional asteroid. Whether they're plausible or not had no bearing on his decision so far as I know, and really, none on their actual depiction. Colony cylinders don't even appear that much in the original show, and after the first two episodes we don't see any again until the White Base arrives at Side 6 around 30 episodes later.

I'm not even sure I'd consider Gundam as a franchise to be sci-fi at all personally, and space opera/fantasy seems more fitting to me since sci-fi generally takes one particular invention, idea, conceit etc. and asks how it's existence would change people or society, while space opera is more just about people as they are and the drama that can occur between them in fantastical spaces. And I think the second is more fitting of what Gundam does. Tomino just wanted to tell a story about people, not about how mobile suits, space colonization, Newtypes or whatever could or would shape things. Which isn't surprising, since Tomino has flat out stated that he's not a big fan of giant robot stuff or sci-fi in general, and he just makes stories involving them because that's his job. Whether Gundam is sci-fi or space opera is ultimately just quibbling over terms and definitions though, and if someone else considered the show or franchise sci-fi I wouldn't argue their conclusion.

Also, faster than light travel is definitively possible in some fashion because space is expanding faster than the speed of light. Which had been known for decades prior to Gundam's production, though the rate of expansion and what that meant was, and to my knowledge still is, an open question. You can absolutely travel faster than light though; we just don't know how. Alcubierre drives and some other proposed methods of FTL build off that knowledge.

ninjewtsu posted:

you are correct that despite doing one fairly unique thing for a science fiction setting, not every single setting detail of gundam is similarly measured against the physical reality of realizing those concepts. one might say that it's not that gundam is uniquely a grounded and realistic setting, but rather that some of the specific details it chooses to take a realistic route on are rarely seen explored to that degree. i'm sorry that by voicing appreciation for one particular setting concept i have implied that the gundam universal century in its totality meets that same standard. thank you for setting the record straight that the fighting giant robots show is, in fact, not entirely hard scifi.

Your sarcasm is noted and ignored, because I think it's worth pointing out regardless given that the use of the words "easy route" implies that Gundam is exceptional in some fashion or better than other sci-fi just because it doesn't take that "easy route" others do and use FTL as a narrative convenience.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 21, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it is better, that's a cool and unusual thing to not take the easy route on. that it takes the easy route on other stuff doesn't matter in that statement and i don't understand why anyone would assume that gundam never takes the easy route on anything at all from that. the existence of giant fighting robots in universe - the most visible aspect of the show - is itself so ludicrous a concept for hard scifi that the baseline assumption should be that similar shortcuts are taken elsewhere. this seems weirdly contrarian towards a viewpoint that i don't believe anyone has actually expressed. some in universe explanations for the fast construction and reconstruction of the colonies have been given but that's all focused on the effectiveness of the story in providing an explanation good enough to handwave the reality of the task, not that it's in any way realistic. massive unrealistic construction projects are pretty part and parcel for scifi (or science fantasy or space opera or techology-focused fiction or whatever term you want to use, it really doesn't matter) so the colonies do not stand out, in either a good or a bad way. however, space based stories almost always introduce ftl travel to justify expanding the setting and it stands out that gundam chooses to instead center itself firmly on earth's gravitational arena in a space based setting. this is worthy of recognition because other works of technologically-oriented fiction don't often do that.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 21, 2023

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
G Reconquista is pretty fun so far, I’m about episode 8 now. OP has really grown on me too. I like the goofy backpacks for the g self. All of the HGs are expensive for them though which is making me a little sad haha.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Id say a fast and loose rule for space opera v. sci-fi is that sci-fi settings tend to try to explain how their tech/universe works. Id say UC gundam tends towards sci-fi (even the newtype stuff) while the other gundam series like wing less so.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Burns posted:

Id say a fast and loose rule for space opera v. sci-fi is that sci-fi settings tend to try to explain how their tech/universe works. Id say UC gundam tends towards sci-fi (even the newtype stuff) while the other gundam series like wing less so.

I'd say there's a sliding scale. UC's the most detailed thanks in part to 40 years of stuff, and FC tends to play things loosest, but there's a lot in the middle.

For going heavy on the details, PD has the Ahab reactors used to explain a lot of the setup of the whole timeline. Meanwhile, SEED talks a lot about stuff, but it tends to have one-off tangents for everything, like anti-matter cannons on battleships... when there's no hints of anti-matter technology anywhere else.

Witch From Mercury has been hinting at a lot of logical extrapolations from life in space, but it's hard to say still, since they've been giving almost no setting details beyond the immediate environments.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Burns posted:

UC and 00 lean into the SciFi with an affinity for the older, near contemporary in MSG's case, classic late 60's early 70's stuff.

SEED tries to follow the SciFi mold, but using the newer millennium era materiel. Thus the emphasis on genetic engineering and throwing in random buzzwords like antimatter. On one hand it doesn't have the decades of non series explanations that UC does that help all the pieces fit together; on the other hand the entire setting, backstory, and technological foundation was incredibly poorly thought out. Consider the implications of technology that allows one to prevent Nuclear Fission from taking place or being able to nullify the force put on an object. That's tech that alters our fundamental understanding of physics and could have such wide ranging implications that the show doesn't capitalize on because nobody thought of it longer than it took to make a macguffin to make sure Kira didn't get got the first encounter or why the Alliance doesn't just turn the PLANTS into atomic residue.

IBO is also SciFi, but more in the postpost apocalypse vein like FNV. It also has the good sense to have it's physics rest on unreal technology where the writers can just do whatever with like 00 and UC instead of using technology that interacts with real physics and thus earns more scrutiny.

G is at it's base using a lot of the same messaging and themes as MSG, but discarding a lot of the Hippieism of someone like Dick and instead carving a Kung Fu lens to look at them through.

Wing and X are an interesting pair. Wing is almost totally not interested in any sense of verisimilitude or explanation for it's technology. Space Opera works, although Space Play is more apt. Characters are Big, they have Big emotions, and the movements of the players are large. Every scene is playing to the back row. X meanwhile seems to have been born out of the twin hypotheticals. What if Colony Drops, but too much; What if Mad Max, but Gundam. Given enough care and thought you could make gold out of those. This did not happen, the series seemed rushed to production and virtually nothing about it seems well thought out or plotted. Technology doesn't exist beyond "Is the Moon out". The post apoc setting disappears after awhile reducing the show to a facsimile of MSG, a hollow mask of a show just going through the motions. Calling it a Space Opera implies a level of care and attention that the series does not seem to have. Space Puppet Show is most appropriate to it, a miasma of ideas barely understood and poorly copied into an abbreviated and crude form. And of Course, like Goethe being inspired the Faust Shadow Puppets in his youth, Eureka Seven represents the incarnation of the ideas the shadows emanated into a form suited to them.

AGE is the Brother's Karamazov of giant robot animes of course.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

AGE is the Brother's Karamazov of giant robot animes of course.

“That’s plagiarism,” cried Tomino, highly delighted. “You stole that from my robot cartoon. Thank you though. Get up, Akihiro, it’s time we were going, both of us.”

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Gaius Marius posted:

Calling it a Space Opera implies a level of care and attention that the series does not seem to have. Space Puppet Show is most appropriate to it, a miasma of ideas barely understood and poorly copied into an abbreviated and crude form.

X is rough around the edges but this is too harsh IMO. Starting an AU from its Zeta Gundam equivalent with the Amuro and Char roles reversed is more interesting than the setup for most AUs, Jamil is a cool character, and it starts and ends pretty strong (mostly because the pacing kicks up after it gets cancelled). The only really bad part of X is the slow middle with the beach episode and dolphin newtype stuff. I would put it squarely in the middle of the shows in terms of quality.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say there's a sliding scale. UC's the most detailed thanks in part to 40 years of stuff, and FC tends to play things loosest, but there's a lot in the middle.

For going heavy on the details, PD has the Ahab reactors used to explain a lot of the setup of the whole timeline. Meanwhile, SEED talks a lot about stuff, but it tends to have one-off tangents for everything, like anti-matter cannons on battleships... when there's no hints of anti-matter technology anywhere else.

Witch From Mercury has been hinting at a lot of logical extrapolations from life in space, but it's hard to say still, since they've been giving almost no setting details beyond the immediate environments.

What's weird about Ahab reactors is that much of the setting is written around their existence, but we never find out what they actually are, where they come from, or more importantly how they're made. Ordinarily it would not be a problem (The story is about Tekkadan, and what do they care about those things, except for possibly the last which is probably out of their means anyhow?) but entire battle plans are written around the properties of Ahab reactors so it stands out to me that some fundamental questions about their nature aren't explained.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaius Marius posted:

SEED tries to follow the SciFi mold, but using the newer millennium era materiel. Thus the emphasis on genetic engineering and throwing in random buzzwords like antimatter. On one hand it doesn't have the decades of non series explanations that UC does that help all the pieces fit together; on the other hand the entire setting, backstory, and technological foundation was incredibly poorly thought out. Consider the implications of technology that allows one to prevent Nuclear Fission from taking place or being able to nullify the force put on an object. That's tech that alters our fundamental understanding of physics and could have such wide ranging implications that the show doesn't capitalize on because nobody thought of it longer than it took to make a macguffin to make sure Kira didn't get got the first encounter or why the Alliance doesn't just turn the PLANTS into atomic residue.

SEED had the misfortune to have Fukuda and Murosawa attached to the project, because it's pretty clear from some of the setting material that the guy doing all the background lore, Shigeru Morita (who was a researcher who had worked on SDF Macross and Turn A Gundam prior to Gundam SEED), actually kind of gave a poo poo and really tried to build up an interesting and cohesive universe that the show could take place in and then Fukuda and Murosawa took all his work and ignored the vast majority of it to do their own thing. There are no exact details online or anything, but I don't think it's implausible that Fukuda or Murosawa just decided that the computer systems in CE were quantum computers because quantum sounds cooler. Or that they did the same with antimatter.

The neutron jammer thing is iffier on who is likely to have created it, since it's a fairly central plot element so it seems like the kind of thing Morita must have been involved in even if it feels more like something Fukuda or Murosawa would have cooked up because it sounded cool. It's the "Minovsky particle" of the setting though, so I suppose it's not surprising that even someone with a background in technical stuff who has apparently taught at university level like Morita might come up with a fairly silly concept like that and just kind of run with it while ignoring the more fundamental elements of it's existence for the sake of narrative.

Minovsky particles could probably be reasoned out to do some really weird things if you sat down to think about it too, since they affect so much of the electromagnetic spectrum, and part of the original show's success with them was probably just that the writers left their effect pretty vague since it only comes up as a phenomena loving with radar and it wasn't until databooks like Gundam Century (which Morita contributed to, somewhat ironically) that the details of what Minovsky particles were and did were more solidly established. I don't even think Tomino or writers on future UC shows he helmed particularly gave a poo poo about those details though honestly. Or AMBAC, another thing established in data books after the original show. I don't even know that Tomino really cared about the details of the colony drop in UC0079 at the start of the One Year War as laid out in Gundam Century honestly, and the few mentions of it in Zeta, ZZ etc. seem more like Tomino might still be operating on his original idea of several colonies (if not dozens like X did) having hit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

We've all seen 0083 set to "Danger Zone," but what about Top Gun set to "The Winner?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIPa9s1HDg

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Let's be honest, the only one worth caring about would be some mashup of the volleyball scene from Top Gun with the "Magic" song from when Kou and Kelly repair the Val Waro or something. Or possibly someone animating Kou to do the Cruise run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Warmachine posted:

We've all seen 0083 set to "Danger Zone," but what about Top Gun set to "The Winner?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIPa9s1HDg

Say what you will about 0083 but both The Winner and Men of Destiny are absolute bangers.