Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What happened to ruin the sauce?

I left it on the stove for too long and it burned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7199064203057990917

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I want that plate, love the curdled vomit pattern

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!
Has anyone got a fresh discord link I could get please, the one 100+ pages back is now invalid :)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

harpomarxist posted:

Has anyone got a fresh discord link I could get please, the one 100+ pages back is now invalid :)

https://discord.com/channels/693442063118893086/693442063118893089

PS it was someone here who recommended Paprika, right? I immediately downloaded it and have been using it since. It’s excellent. Thank you!

therattle fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 18, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

therattle posted:

PS it was someone here who recommended Paprika, right? I immediately downloaded it and have been using it since. It’s excellent. Thank you!

Half the goons in chat, at least :hfive:

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

therattle posted:

Thank you but this does not work - it stalls out. I need an invite. I have a pressing question about adding salt to a dough.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What a crumby situation

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

harpomarxist posted:

Thank you but this does not work - it stalls out. I need an invite. I have a pressing question about adding salt to a dough.

https://discord.gg/6XYw6ZbW

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

What a lovely man you are

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

harpomarxist posted:

What a lovely man you are

I try.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Costco is having a half price sale on whole Dungeness crabs, but you have to get there before lunch or they will be gone

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It's 5 bucks a pound fresh off the boats in Half Moon Bay. Of course there's a lot of reasons why folks can't get out there, but if you can check out your local fisherfolk.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Can’t believe it took me this long to make my own guac. For some reason I assumed it’d be more involved than literally smashing up 4 small avocados, finding some good veggies to add (a shallot, garlic, tomato, jalapeño and cilantro) and then a bit of lime juice and salt.

Anyone have their own guac pro tips? Seems like something you could customize a decent amount.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Anno posted:

Can’t believe it took me this long to make my own guac. For some reason I assumed it’d be more involved than literally smashing up 4 small avocados, finding some good veggies to add (a shallot, garlic, tomato, jalapeño and cilantro) and then a bit of lime juice and salt.

Anyone have their own guac pro tips? Seems like something you could customize a decent amount.
If you've got a mortar, start by roasting a fresh hot pepper until the flesh is done and the skin is covered in black spots. Either peel the skin under cold water or don't, crush the pepper in the mortar, then start adding the other guac ingredients.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Anno posted:

What I’m about to tell you cannot leave this safe place. It is perhaps the trashiest, most offensive, shame-inducing behavior in my entire cooking repertoire.

Make whatever guac recipe you want, then add 1Tbsp of mayonnaise for every avocado you use. Stir it in very thoroughly.

I learned this from my Party Aunt, and it noticeably improves every guac recipe. If you leave it out, it will be missed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

What I’m about to tell you cannot leave this safe place. It is perhaps the trashiest, most offensive, shame-inducing behavior in my entire cooking repertoire.

Make whatever guac recipe you want, then add 1Tbsp of mayonnaise for every avocado you use. Stir it in very thoroughly.

I learned this from my Party Aunt, and it noticeably improves every guac recipe. If you leave it out, it will be missed.

This seems like the kind of thing you're almost better off just never knowing about.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

This seems like the kind of thing you're almost better off just never knowing about.

It truly is. If I could go back and unlearn it, I would.

When I do it, I feel shame. When I don’t do it, I know that I am being shamed into eating guac that is not as good as it could be.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you've got a mortar, start by roasting a fresh hot pepper until the flesh is done and the skin is covered in black spots. Either peel the skin under cold water or don't, crush the pepper in the mortar, then start adding the other guac ingredients.

I don't! I need to get one.

Doom Rooster posted:

This might be more shameful: I really dislike mayonnaise. Maybe if it's super tricked out into some kind of fancy ~~aioli~~ but otherwise I just can't take it. It doesn't seem like you'd be able to taste it much mixed in like that, but just the knowledge it's there would be enough.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Doom Rooster posted:

I might try this with kewpie, good idea or??

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BrianBoitano posted:

I might try this with kewpie, good idea or??

Absolutely.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I put some pork to sous vide overnight and it errored-out at some point so I've no idea what temperature it reached and for how long :cry:

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
You gotta be careful with the circulators that the water level doesn’t fall too low, I had that happen with chicken breasts a couple times early on but fortunately I was near the kitchen and heard the beeping. I usually top off the water after adding the bags now, and I have a cover for the cambro that fits around the circulator for long cooks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
In my quest to Koreanize everything, gonna make shakshuka with gochugaru instead of harissa

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

I knew what this was going to be before I clicked the spoiler and I was already like "nope, nope, nope"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Steve Yun posted:

In my quest to Koreanize everything, gonna make shakshuka with gochugaru instead of harissa

Me and my Gochu Gang, we about to Koreanize the culinary world yo :ocelot:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay, I would not recommend gochugaru. At least store bought gochugaru. The Alton brown harissa has way more flavor, aroma, complexity

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, I would not recommend gochugaru. At least store bought gochugaru. The Alton brown harissa has way more flavor, aroma, complexity
huh? why are you comparing gochugaru with harissa?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They’re both pepper pastes?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
You are thinking about gochujang. Gochugaru is a chili powder.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Er oh yeah I used gochujang

Anyways koreanizing borscht highly recommended, shakshuka not so much

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Er oh yeah I used gochujang

Anyways koreanizing borscht highly recommended, shakshuka not so much

Don’t worry, I did exactly the same thing, but I thought it would be quite a good idea with go to Jang (this is how dictation spells out gochujang).

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Doesn’t gochujang have an absolute fuckton of sugar? I’d imagine it won’t work terribly well outside of the context it’s meant for. It’s like that Sriracha stuff: so loving sweet Omg.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I could see gochujang working if you balanced it out with some vinegar. It would take some trial and error, but it would be possible. Would it be superior to more traditional methods? Dunno.

mystes
May 31, 2006

dino. posted:

Doesn’t gochujang have an absolute fuckton of sugar? I’d imagine it won’t work terribly well outside of the context it’s meant for. It’s like that Sriracha stuff: so loving sweet Omg.
it's pretty sweet but it also depends on whether you mean the paste or prepared sauce and if you're making your own sauce out of the paste you can control the sweetness to some degree

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

it's pretty sweet but it also depends on whether you mean the paste or prepared sauce and if you're making your own sauce out of the paste you can control the sweetness to some degree

I was thinking paste, which isn’t particularly sweet AFAIK

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i don't care how much more healthy brown rice is, white rice is too good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brown rice is an entree, white rice is a side or vehicle for sauces.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I never want brown rice. If I’m going brown, might as well go all the way to Wild Rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Brown rice works well in certain settings. Particularly those where white rice might lose its shape.