Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fated To Be Fat
May 23, 2009

A branch without a tree.

Varmaan venäläisiä Putlerin agentteja naamioitumassa suomalaisiksi taas, niinpä niin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

it feels like there's already an ocean of fake and misleading poo poo surrounding most topics on the internet, so I dunno how automating the process of derivative white noise posting could radically make things worse

in any case, the solution is venerable and long-established forums, where regdates and public post histories will allow the goonier among us to find meaning in ferreting out bots

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

brakeless posted:

it feels like there's already an ocean of fake and misleading poo poo surrounding most topics on the internet, so I dunno how automating the process of derivative white noise posting could radically make things worse

in any case, the solution is venerable and long-established forums, where regdates and public post histories will allow the goonier among us to find meaning in ferreting out bots

It's already automated, but traditional bots don't provide any original content so it's easy to tell that johanbackman836491 is the same bot as johanbackman32572 when they repeat the same message. In future you will have to assume that everyone is a bot especially if they pass the captcha test.

Fortunately they will still have to answer truthfully to "oot sä joku botti hä?", as they must follow Asimov's laws of robotics.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Pop historian Teemu Keskisarja has announced that he's a candidate for TF. A bit surprising for an academic, what're the reasons?

Been reading too much Runeberg, I guess?

Tossa viime vuoden puolella lainasin Keskisarjan uudehkon Hattujen sotaa käsittelevän kirjan, mutta se jäi sitten kuitenkin lukematta muiden kirjojen ja kiireiden takia. Meni vähän into siihen kun esipuheessa jo kiitetään paria oikeaa tutkijaa, joiden akateemisesti vertaisarvioiden tutkimusten pohjalta Teemu oli sitten raapustanut suurelle yleisölle kirjan. Siis se myönsi ihan suoraan että vitut hän mitään tutkimusta on tehnyt, kirjoitin näiden tyyppien työn pohjalta omaan lennokkaaseen tyyliini yksinkertaistetun version.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
En nyt puolusta Keskisarjaa, koska oletettavasti hän aika rajatulla kulmalla lähestyy käsittelemiään aiheita, mutta tieteen popularisointi olisi tärkeä tehtävä, jota aika harva, etenkään tutkijoista, viitsii tehdä.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Ja on erittäin tärkeää, että suomi pysyy kielenä, jolla voi tehdä tiedettä ja keskustella siitä, puhumattakaan arkipäivän asioista

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Siis eikö tuo ole ihan normaali tapa tehdä tietokirjoja?

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Nenonen posted:

It's already automated, but traditional bots don't provide any original content so it's easy to tell that johanbackman836491 is the same bot as johanbackman32572 when they repeat the same message. In future you will have to assume that everyone is a bot especially if they pass the captcha test.

Fortunately they will still have to answer truthfully to "oot sä joku botti hä?", as they must follow Asimov's laws of robotics.

right, I just very much doubt the ability of bots to produce content that's any less ignorable than, say, youtube comments
like I don't doubt that they can produce stuff that's hard to distinguish from humans, I just tend to ignore a lot of stuff currently produced (probably) by humans

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Warden posted:

Tossa viime vuoden puolella lainasin Keskisarjan uudehkon Hattujen sotaa käsittelevän kirjan, mutta se jäi sitten kuitenkin lukematta muiden kirjojen ja kiireiden takia. Meni vähän into siihen kun esipuheessa jo kiitetään paria oikeaa tutkijaa, joiden akateemisesti vertaisarvioiden tutkimusten pohjalta Teemu oli sitten raapustanut suurelle yleisölle kirjan. Siis se myönsi ihan suoraan että vitut hän mitään tutkimusta on tehnyt, kirjoitin näiden tyyppien työn pohjalta omaan lennokkaaseen tyyliini yksinkertaistetun version.

Tuollain se akateemisen tiedon popularisointi meneekin.
Ei ne oikeatkaan tutkijat sitä kaikkea hommaa 100% itse tee vaan jatkavat muiden työtä ja referoivat niitä.
Kunhan ukko välttelee asiavirheitä ja kirjoittaa viihdyttävästi, niin mitä sillä väliä kuka sen pohjatutkimustyön siihen on tehnyt?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Darkest Auer posted:

Ja on erittäin tärkeää, että suomi pysyy kielenä, jolla voi tehdä tiedettä ja keskustella siitä, puhumattakaan arkipäivän asioista

Tämä.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Suomen kielen tukeminen on tärkeää, kuten on luonnonsuojelu. Mutta hieman yllättävää ehkä että fanaattinen luonnonsuojelija hakee poliittista kotia puolueesta joka eniten kitisee ilmastovouhottajista yms hipeistä. Mut toisaalta en ole akateemikko ja en ehkä havaitse kaikkia maailman nyansseja Temen tavalla.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

gently caress you.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Issaries posted:

Tuollain se akateemisen tiedon popularisointi meneekin.
Ei ne oikeatkaan tutkijat sitä kaikkea hommaa 100% itse tee vaan jatkavat muiden työtä ja referoivat niitä.
Kunhan ukko välttelee asiavirheitä ja kirjoittaa viihdyttävästi, niin mitä sillä väliä kuka sen pohjatutkimustyön siihen on tehnyt?

Sitä kirjaa markkinoitiin sillä, että Keskisarja itse avustajineen olisi kaivautunut arkistojen syövereihin ja kaivanut sieltä uutta tietoa esille, mutta esipuheessa tuli aika selväksi, että ei se nyt näin mennyt todellisuudessa. Olisin toki tämän omassa viestissäni voinut tuoda esille.

Mutta joo, markkinointi on markkinointia, ja tää on varmaan taas näitä mun henkilökohtaisia ongelmia. Plus ihan tottahan se on, että Hattujen sodasta on tosi vähän julkaistu suomeksi mitään, etenkään isommalle yleisölle.

Plus Keskisarjalla tosiaan on tosiaan ihan riittävästi oikeitakin mokia kritisoitavaksi. 2017 kun haastateltiin useita eri historiantutkijoita Suomi 100-vee kunniaksi, niin Teemun "Suomi oli Ruotsin siirtomaa"-horinat lähti sen verran laukalle, että niitä puitiin joitakin kuukauksia sanomalehdissä ja historiantutkijoiden parissa.

Warden fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 21, 2023

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Darkest Auer posted:

That has been a theme as of late, so Teemu Keskisarja's jumping on the language train is understandable. Much has been said about the topic of how English has taken over in bigger cities, but that's usually the case: English is not only the language of business but of the middle classes in the world. The fact that people even write their bachelor's degrees in English is seen as a way to get your foot into the jobs market is telling how much Finns appreciate the language. I can remember my younger self thinking like this, nowadays I realise that ultimately too much energy is wasted on it and can be even detrimental to us, since the rest of Europe (or the world for that matter) doesn't speak English.

There hasn't been a campaign to throttle this, and even Helsinki mayor Juhana Vartiainen suggested introducing English as our third official language besides Finnish and Swedish to better attract expats. But I'm not sure people want to stay in this country, since the pay is better elsewhere. Ultimately using English is basically a business decision (ie. it's cheaper), like when film distributors don't even bother translating film names unless they're for kids or something – sometimes even preferring the English title for a foreign film.

So I applaud the current political awareness to do something about it. There's been talk as of late amongst parties on the issue, so I hope the next goverment will tackle it head on. (Not sure about NC though, they haven't been a "sivistysporvari" party for some time.) No, what disappoints me most about Keskisarja is his weird "africans/orientals coming here and destroying our culture" bit that sounds too similar to a "great replacement" dog whistle. If I meet people who speak or want to learn the Finnish language (for whatever weird reason), is that really the end? If anything I am disappointed so much potential for a source of soft power is missed by these class of uncultured swines, who only think in terms of paper mills and other boring poo poo. gently caress, give these idiots an electric guitar or something. :black101:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Suomen kieli on lahja meille menneiltä sukupolvilta. Se on tässä asiayhteydessä mieletöntä pohtia miten helvetin paljon helpompaa jotkut asiat ovat englannin kielellä. Varmasti on olemassa englannin kielen professoreja jotka osaisivat sanoa että hah hah, Veikko Huovinen osasi kirjoittaa mukavasti, mutta kuinka moni muu kuin kielen lapsena oppinut osaisi ymmärtää mitä hauskaa on Veitikassa, sinisissä ajatuksissa tai rauhantahtoisessa ohjuksessa?

Suomen kielen tulee pysyä osana suomalaista opetuskulttuuria, koska suomen kielellä me, suomalaiset, ilmaisemme itseämme. Miksi kaikki pitää mcdonaldaistaa joksikin parodiaksi suoraan televisiosarjasta The Man in the High Castle?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

No, what disappoints me most about Keskisarja is his weird "africans/orientals coming here and destroying our culture" bit that sounds too similar to a "great replacement" dog whistle.

Every book I've read from him seems to hammer one or both of the two following points repeatedly:

1. Finns have suffered much more than any other people anywhere, ever, barring those who were entirely genocided, and that makes us special.
2. Swedes either mistreated, or neglected the Finns so much that our time as part of Sweden was just as bad, if not worse, than 19th century imperialism.

Teme did not appreciate people telling him about Belgian Kongo after he had stated 2 in public.

Also, his opinions about the Continuation war are pretty drat yikes-worthy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Suomen kielen tulee pysyä osana suomalaista opetuskulttuuria, koska suomen kielellä me, suomalaiset, ilmaisemme itseämme.

Elä sie perkelleen kulttuuri-impperialisti ala! :mad: Juuri tuollaiset yrittivät tuhota saamenkin. Ja yrittävät edelleen.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Elä sie perkelleen kulttuuri-impperialisti ala! :mad: Juuri tuollaiset yrittivät tuhota saamenkin. Ja yrittävät edelleen.

Saamelaisten olisi kenties kannattanut kysyä Josif Stalinilta miten rajat vedellään, ja kuka sai olla itsenäinen valtio.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Rappaport posted:

Saamelaisten olisi kenties kannattanut kysyä Josif Stalinilta miten rajat vedellään, ja kuka sai olla itsenäinen valtio.

Mitä ihmettä sinä hyvä mies selität?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Paskapostasin siitä miten kansakuntien aurinko ja isä jakoi kansallisvaltioita hyväksi näkemillään perusteilla, en osaa ottaa kantaa tuohon YLEn artikkeliin.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

VKK:lla ollut hyvä uutispöhinä tänään

AnoQ paljastaa, että Ukrainassa on kaatunut puoli miljoonaa ukrainalaista ja jokunen tuhat venäläistä - sai kollegoilta raikuvat suosionosoitukset

Helsinkiläinen ehdokas uhmaa aikaa ja haastaa sut oikeuteen jos valehtelet sen iän

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
There is a huge difference between movies being shown in their original language and everyday products being called "original blue running sausage" instead of HK blöö

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Darkest Auer posted:

There is a huge difference between movies being shown in their original language and everyday products being called "original blue running sausage" instead of HK blöö

I don't think anyone is suggesting dubbing films to Finnish, they're mostly done for children's movies. Translating film titles on the other hand used to be an art in Finland, but that was done with decades ago. Which is a shame, since some translated titles are meme-worthy.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rappaport posted:

Twitterissä ja somessa noin ylipäänsä ongelma on se, että ihmiset ovat siellä omina itsenään, ja kuvittelevat että muutkin ovat. Tietenkin tavallaan se vastaus olisi että ydinpommitetaan Twitter, mutta tämä olisi varmaan rikollista ja Suomella ei edes ole omaa ydinasetta.

Se on aika lovecraftinen ajatus että meillä on kohta some täynnä keinoälyjä jotka osaavat jutustella tavallaan mukavia, mutta sitten sinne väliin heitetään jotain "Putin ei tehnyt mitään väärää"-tasoista tavaraa. Miten tuommoiselta suojautuisi käytännössä?

Kehittämällä actual äly of the average Finn.

A lost art to most.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 21, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

Kehittämällä actual äly of the average Finn.

A lost art to most.

The discourse among educators seems to be that älypuhelimet should be used as a resource, not seen as a menace. Of course children can be told that not all Alex Jones memes are educational, but I don't fault the people who think it is a losing battle.

And of course your average Finn is not a child, but an elderly person, and I don't know how you'd go about kehittämään the äly of those.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
parempia ristikoita mokomille

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mutta mitä jos ristikkolehdissäkin laitetaan salatuksi vihjeiksi että "Putin on kansamme ystävä"? :ohdear:

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
https://twitter.com/SinimustaLiike/status/1628282072816095233

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Not exactly subtle about their ideology.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
14 candidates in Central Finland.

How about that.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

:allbuttons:

Also, lmao:
https://twitter.com/okron8/status/1628401800956071937

A misunderstood math teachers' party?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
drat at least they aren't mincing their numbers...words they have to, when legally forced by the electoral commission. I wonder if they enter Vaaliitto with VKK...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sinimusta Liike on anagrammi sanoille "kusilieminatsi". Nää tyypit osaa piiloviestinnän!

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

DarkCrawler posted:

drat at least they aren't mincing their numbers...words they have to, when legally forced by the electoral commission. I wonder if they enter Vaaliitto with VKK...

To be honest I think the manifesto they have up on their webpage is the same one that got turned down by officials the first go around, and the redrafted one is nowhere to be seen. So, not really mincing the words either.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Bushmeister posted:

To be honest I think the manifesto they have up on their webpage is the same one that got turned down by officials the first go around, and the redrafted one is nowhere to be seen. So, not really mincing the words either.

Huh, I did not know that officials could prevent a party from registering and campaigning. Couldn't find this, do you have a source so I can read more? Cheers. :)

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
https://vaalit.fi/puolueen-perustaminen

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Keisari posted:

Huh, I did not know that officials could prevent a party from registering and campaigning. Couldn't find this, do you have a source so I can read more? Cheers. :)

Here's one news story from around when it happened, looks like they just never put the redrafted one up on their site https://www.uusimaa.fi/uutissuomalainen/4146831

IANAL but in general I think Oikeusministeriö will not approve parties for registration if they advocate for outright criminal or subversive activity, but the limits are pretty loose. I don't think I've heard any other group butting heads into it before Kuru and his eggheads.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Bushmeister posted:

Here's one news story from around when it happened, looks like they just never put the redrafted one up on their site https://www.uusimaa.fi/uutissuomalainen/4146831

IANAL but in general I think Oikeusministeriö will not approve parties for registration if they advocate for outright criminal or subversive activity, but the limits are pretty loose. I don't think I've heard any other group butting heads into it before Kuru and his eggheads.

Thanks!

Uusimaa Article posted:

Sinimusta liike poisti ohjelmastaan muun muassa ajatuksen etnisestä rekisteristä, josta olisi käynyt ilmi Suomessa asuvien ihmisten etniset, kielelliset ja uskonnolliset taustat. Oikeusministeriössä arvioitiin, että liikkeen ajamaa etnistä rekisteriä käytettäisiin syrjivään tarkoitukseen eli tiettyjen henkilöryhmien seuraamiseen, eristämiseen ja jopa laillisesti saadun kansalaisuuden oikeudettomaan pois viemiseen.

Sinimusta liike karsi ohjelmastaan myös liikkeen ajaman kaikkien vuodesta 1990 alkaen myönnettyjen Suomen kansalaisuuksien uudelleenkäsittelyn, mitä oikeusministeriössä niin ikään pidettiin ongelmallisena.

:catstare:

Oh wow. This is some 1940 old school nazi stuff. It seems like the process is pretty good as it is now, meaning explicitly anti-democratic and traitorous agendas aren't allowed, but otherwise pretty lax. In the end, the only lasting way a democracy will survive is if the majority does not want these fuckers in power.

But its certainly disconcerting that they found 5000 people who do. And on the other hand, Valta Kuuluu Putinille has a few reps in local elections, but if if I have understood correctly they are also defectors (exiles?) from other parties. Here's to hoping they are voted out soon...

EDIT: I mean that of course they have Ano Turtiainen in the Parliament, for now at least.

EDIT2: Reading more into this, lmao at Tiihonen quitting and forming Vapauden liitto, at this rate these nazis will be like the communist parties, several parties but all fit into one bus as in the old joke.

Keisari fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 23, 2023

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Keisari posted:

And on the other hand, Valta Kuuluu Putinille has a few reps in local elections, but if if I have understood correctly they are also defectors (exiles?) from other parties. Here's to hoping they are voted out soon...

They got a handful of people through in the maakuntas under the VKK banner, I don't know if they're loikkaris from other parties but if they are they had already loikked before they were voted in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Forktoss posted:

They got a handful of people through in the maakuntas under the VKK banner, I don't know if they're loikkaris from other parties but if they are they had already loikked before they were voted in.

Some were homegrown, like semi-notorious internet "lawyer" & "journalist" Tiina Keskimäki. After the split my instinct has been that most people jumping from the persu ship at municipal level have gone over to Tiihonen & Vapauden liitto since while their leader is certifiably as insane as VKK, at least he doesn't claim to talk directly to Jesus. Or threaten to publicly rip anyones arms off.