Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Lt. Lizard posted:

This chapter proves that having a girlfriend is very powerful.

This is also the plot of Ottoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

MarriageToxin: Piichii has evolved into...Cubone!
Reminds me of Shin from Dorohedoro

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1628243781823741954?s=20

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Bit sad to see it go, it felt like the little series that could for a while given the subject matter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Bit sad to see it go, it felt like the little series that could for a while given the subject matter.

It really didn't seem to know what it was trying to do after the mom died. Basically abandoned its structure, which could have gone somewhere really interesting (Farmland Saga), but instead, it just drifted over to flashbacks and now... it's ending.

It feels kind of weird to see a couple vets going before Ginko or Demon Bride. Especially weird without a new series coming in hot as a replacement. They're even giving the color page next week to a one-shot by a rookie with no serializations.

Also, if Ichigoki survives, I no longer understand anything about how Jump is operating right now.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Why should I break my back only for my comic to get shitcanned whilst absolute shitfuck like Earthchild gets thirty-some chapters?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Why should I break my back only for my comic to get shitcanned whilst absolute shitfuck like Earthchild gets thirty-some chapters?

Because there's a chance you won't get shitcanned. And then they'll make an anime. And then you'll be a multi-millionaire.

Mangaka are gamblers. They bet that their talent and their luck will pull through against the odds, letting them be some of the few who get rich.

And, if you're in Jump, you're not only closer to the gold than most, but you're making enough to live comfortably on as long as your manga runs. It's a hard job, with hours ranging from 'rough' to 'potentially lethal' depending on your abilities, your approach, and your assistants, but the money is decent even before royalties come into play, and Shueisha does more to promote their titles than most of its competition. (An interview with Aka Akasaka talked a bit about running a manga in Young Jump versus a manga in Dengeki Maoh. Suffice it to say, Young Jump was the better gig, if you could hack it.)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

chiasaur11 posted:

It really didn't seem to know what it was trying to do after the mom died. Basically abandoned its structure, which could have gone somewhere really interesting (Farmland Saga), but instead, it just drifted over to flashbacks and now... it's ending.

Yeah, that should have been a gigantic moment for the series, considering the whole concept, but the only character that seemed to care was Lucky and he basically disappeared while everyone else went "eh." The mangaka may not have been actually ready to do it, but knew cancellation was nipping at their heels and did it in hopes it might spark some renewed interest in the series.

Ah well.

quote:

It feels kind of weird to see a couple vets going before Ginko or Demon Bride. Especially weird without a new series coming in hot as a replacement. They're even giving the color page next week to a one-shot by a rookie with no serializations.

Also, if Ichigoki survives, I no longer understand anything about how Jump is operating right now.

I think HSF and PPPPPP probably got by as long as they did because of how much worse other, newer series were doing and maybe Ginko and Demon Bride are doing well enough that they couldn't slip by anymore.

I do agree on Ichigoki, that series is already setting itself up for the end

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

I think HSF and PPPPPP probably got by as long as they did because of how much worse other, newer series were doing and maybe Ginko and Demon Bride are doing well enough that they couldn't slip by anymore.

I do agree on Ichigoki, that series is already setting itself up for the end

Ginko and Demon Bride are doing pretty badly themselves, so I don't think that's it.

When it was just HSF going away, I was kind of wondering if it was something like Ruri Dragon coming back, meaning they needed to clean pages in a hurry and wanted to give Ginko and Demon Bride until the next round of serialization to settle their accounts. (Ruri Dragon specifically was a bit of blind optimism, but I also figured that Tite Kubo could have something, or there could be some other sudden need for some pages. Basically Jump had a sure seller that they'd need space for.)

With PPPPPP, though, and no serialization pending, I'm much more confused. Jump's got MHA, Mashle, and JJK all supposedly heading into endgame with a year or so left, and even One Piece is looking at a finale. If they were bringing in a lot of new series, then I'd think they were clearing out low performers to be able to cycle in as many potential winners as they could before that hits. But without something to replace them, they're just risking losing sales without any obvious gain. It's unusual to have two final weeks without anything on the dock as a replacement.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

chiasaur11 posted:

Ginko and Demon Bride are doing pretty badly themselves, so I don't think that's it.

When it was just HSF going away, I was kind of wondering if it was something like Ruri Dragon coming back, meaning they needed to clean pages in a hurry and wanted to give Ginko and Demon Bride until the next round of serialization to settle their accounts. (Ruri Dragon specifically was a bit of blind optimism, but I also figured that Tite Kubo could have something, or there could be some other sudden need for some pages. Basically Jump had a sure seller that they'd need space for.)

With PPPPPP, though, and no serialization pending, I'm much more confused. Jump's got MHA, Mashle, and JJK all supposedly heading into endgame with a year or so left, and even One Piece is looking at a finale. If they were bringing in a lot of new series, then I'd think they were clearing out low performers to be able to cycle in as many potential winners as they could before that hits. But without something to replace them, they're just risking losing sales without any obvious gain. It's unusual to have two final weeks without anything on the dock as a replacement.

I don't think Mashle has more than a couple of months left, unless the epilogue is really long or there is some secret villain behind the main bad guy as the manga looks like it is in the middle of the final battle. Mashle's pacing is really unpredictable though, so I could be wrong.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sindai posted:

MarriageToxin: Piichii has evolved into...Cubone!

Piichi kun is great. Though I did find the battle with the skeletons a little confusing, like there was a page missing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm not going to speculate on why these series are ending, but it's important to remember that sometimes when a series ends, it's just due to personal reasons, whether something in the author's private life or business disputes between them and the publisher. It's not always about performance.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
While I'm also surprised Ichigoki outlived HSF and PPPPPP, it is worth noting that Ichigoki only has 11 chapters so far. I don't think it's unheard of for something to end at ch.12, but that seems REALLY short, even by bad shonen jump standards. Even Time Paradox Ghostwriter made it to 14 chaps.

Thinking about it, I wonder what the shortest series was that got canceled that wasn't obviously an intentionally short series or the author leaving due to health/personal reasons. AKA, the shortest run a series had before editors were like "nah, you're done"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm not sure of the actual answer, but Ole Golazo only got 12 chapters so that at least

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think the absolute shortest run was Chagecha from the BoBoBo guy which lasted only eight (or infinity, as he wrote the chapter as) chapters.

I don't think they've had someone turn out to be into kicking puppies or, worse, not be into Kuroshi Work Culture and have to axe something like two chapters in.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 22, 2023

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ruri dragon was real short if we don't hear good news about the author soon :negative:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I kinda hate to say it but I've always thought Ruri Dragon was fine at best. It was cute and all but didn't really knock my socks off with the art or writing. It kind of feels like since the mangaka has taken such a long hiatus it's gained a kind of legendary status, whereas I'm not sure it would have gained such a following otherwise. It's certainly not a bad series, I've enjoyed what there is and would like to read more, but I've definitely seen people on twitter talking about how it's this amazing series and I'm just like ???

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I kinda hate to say it but I've always thought Ruri Dragon was fine at best. It was cute and all but didn't really knock my socks off with the art or writing. It kind of feels like since the mangaka has taken such a long hiatus it's gained a kind of legendary status, whereas I'm not sure it would have gained such a following otherwise. It's certainly not a bad series, I've enjoyed what there is and would like to read more, but I've definitely seen people on twitter talking about how it's this amazing series and I'm just like ???

A comedy where characters underreact to things instead of overreacting to them is pretty rare in Japanese media. That alone counts for something.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Also "just fine and cute" is a step above a lot of the other stuff that's come and gone since.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I agree with this take. Ruri was a very cute manga with decent but not amazing artwork and some characters that seemed fun. But not much else yet. It didn’t run long enough for more.
Honestly reminded me of Magu chan. Just a wholesome perfectly okay manga featuring perfectly likable people.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I agree with this take. Ruri was a very cute manga with decent but not amazing artwork and some characters that seemed fun. But not much else yet. It didn’t run long enough for more.
Honestly reminded me of Magu chan. Just a wholesome perfectly okay manga featuring perfectly likable people.

The reason Ruri keeps getting brought up, aside from people liking it, is because it's a ridiculous sales success.

200K copies for volume 1 is something you don't see very often, and Jump's had so few big hits lately that it stands out even more.

We also got a new sketch from the mangaka just this month, so there's a pulse, even if it's still unclear when it'd be coming back, if at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

We also got a new sketch from the mangaka just this month, so there's a pulse, even if it's still unclear when it'd be coming back, if at all.

The mangaka's brother/sister, sweating as they realize that they're running out of old sketches to show people. Some day the truth will come to light and people will find out about the time they hosed up and dropped the hairdryer into the bath while the author was in it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's unfortunate to see this end, especially when it hasn't even gotten to the last two siblings, but I'm not sad to see it go. It posited the question of what do you do with your life when you're the only one not talented in your family/how does one cope when there's more talented people in your field of expertise. But instead of a message of hard work and perseverance helping bridge the gap a little, the answer it came up with is that talent really is everything. To the point that Lucky never won in any of the contests. And him being this secret genius certainly doesn't help with the weird message.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's such an odd message for pianists, especially. that's one field where even if you are incredibly naturally talented, you still have to put in the work.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i doubt the author knows anything about pianists, the manga could be centered around pretty much any competition with all the care it had for it

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

With that hair it could have been about yugioh

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

drat, seeing that One Piece could be heading towards a conclusion made me google Oda's age and he's only 48. he's been working on One Piece for almost exactly half his life at this point and I wonder if, once OP is done, he'll even want to start another project.

I dropped OP in the Dressrosa arc because it just seemed to drag on forever, and the Big Mom and Wano Island arcs seemed to go the same way. Now that they're done though, it might be time to finally do a full reread. OP has always been my least favorite of the big three but drat if I don't want to be there for the end of the journey.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 23, 2023

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've been reading it for more than half my life lol

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

With that hair it could have been about yugioh

Waiting for a music manga where a schoolboy is possessed by an ancient Piano Pharaoh and uses Shadow Recitals to crush people’s souls, in a bizarre world where all disputes are settled via piano contests. Culminating in Piano Recitals On Motorcycles.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Elite posted:

Waiting for a music manga where a schoolboy is possessed by an ancient Piano Pharaoh and uses Shadow Recitals to crush people’s souls, in a bizarre world where all disputes are settled via piano contests. Culminating in Piano Recitals On Motorcycles.

You joke but "Possessed by the ghost of expert of [thing]" is actually kinda a wide market of manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ruri Dragon formed a pact with the Machikado Mazoku author in not only similar premises but health-related hiatuses.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

You joke but "Possessed by the ghost of expert of [thing]" is actually kinda a wide market of manga.

A while back I read through Hikaru no Go and it was pretty good except for that ending where it just kind of peters out.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Elite posted:

Just read Shiori Experience.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

UnderFreddy posted:

i doubt the author knows anything about pianists, the manga could be centered around pretty much any competition with all the care it had for it

i'll admit, pppppp would be much better if it was exactly the same but with piano replaced with the noble sport of keijo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone remembers the manga about orchestra conducting battles and the main character's thing was that he could see people's hearts?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth TNT posted:

Kind of got that same feeling about the series. Magu-chan felt different since we had the depowered eldritch abomination thing going on, but yeah it running longer to flesh things our certainly helped. Ruri Dragon seliing that much is still incredibly surprising to me though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I get the appeal of Ruri Dragon but the reaction to it given that it actually didn't have enough chapters to have a volume is weird to me

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Everybody loves dragon-girls but the last one got creepy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's such an odd message for pianists, especially. that's one field where even if you are incredibly naturally talented, you still have to put in the work.

I mean, talent kind of *is* everything in the sense that it's a prerequisite to reach the highest levels. Extremely hard work is just *also* necessary, but hard work alone isn't enough.

And there's also a huge element of sheer luck and being born into a well-off connected family. This fellow cellist I was friends with as a teenager had both the talent and work parts - he practiced like 6 hours a day and had the same intuitive feel for it that I did (we both started "late" - middle school). He even got a full scholarship to Jiulliard and was just an amazing guy in general. But he still wasn't able to turn performing into a career, because he was a poor black guy and most people who get careers are from upper/upper-middle class families that can help get them connected in the classical performance "industry." He was even lucky just to get his cello, which was donated to him - good cellos are extremely expensive (I think it's a bit better these days since China makes some good stuff, but you're still looking at thousands of dollars).

I think that you can still easily tell stories about music performance, though, because hard work will always be a necessary part. Though those stories kind of need to involve actual specifics about music performance to be interesting, at least for me. Real life music performance (and probably other competitive activities) are actually remarkably "anime-like" in reality, especially as a teenager. Everyone is aware of who the "elites" are and where they stand in relation to everyone else, and you're making tangible progress as you learn new things. Everyone is familiar with the most commonly performed pieces and what nuances and challenges they have. There's lots of angles to explore in a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, talent kind of *is* everything in the sense that it's a prerequisite to reach the highest levels. Extremely hard work is just *also* necessary, but hard work alone isn't enough.

And there's also a huge element of sheer luck and being born into a well-off connected family. This fellow cellist I was friends with as a teenager had both the talent and work parts - he practiced like 6 hours a day and had the same intuitive feel for it that I did (we both started "late" - middle school). He even got a full scholarship to Jiulliard and was just an amazing guy in general. But he still wasn't able to turn performing into a career, because he was a poor black guy and most people who get careers are from upper/upper-middle class families that can help get them connected in the classical performance "industry." He was even lucky just to get his cello, which was donated to him - good cellos are extremely expensive (I think it's a bit better these days since China makes some good stuff, but you're still looking at thousands of dollars).

This is something I've had to increasingly witness through work and it's very depressing tbh