Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
She’s just like me frfr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah I guess to clarify, I figured that it'd been known about by psychologists / sociologists / etc since probably around the time radio wide widespread, but I didn't think it'd be well-known enough in the 90s to casually mention to someone in high school and expect them to know what you mean.

I guess the flip side of this is how much gets said to high schoolers that does just go over their head. I find this getting brought up to be super interesting because that's exactly the type of relationship Makima had with Chainsaw Man in part 1. That she was able to realize it might have given the remnants of the Public Safety hunters some pause when it comes to people getting too close or wanting to get too close to Denji since I doubt most of them would know that we got Nayuta in the mix.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Would you like to get coffee with me?

takes her to get free coffee from the high school club

Anyways the mole is back so the “Yoshida has a devil cohabiting him like Yoru” theory is out

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

EmmyOk posted:

It's because it's set in 1997 so phones aren't ubiquitous yet

No, I know that. It's not him talking about phones that I found suspicious it was his phrasing. Like, instead of "You have a cellphone?" He said "high school students have cellphones now a days?" Which is kind of a weird way to say that.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Would you like to get coffee with me?

takes her to get free coffee from the high school club

Anyways the mole is back so the “Yoshida has a devil cohabiting him like Yoru” theory is out

MAYBE free coffee he isn't sweating the details here

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Clearly Yoshida is Asa and Denji's kid from the future, and he's Marty McFlying things up. He was originally the one to introduce the two of them, been spying on them regularly, and now he's taking an "adversarial" role, giving them something else to rebel against while secretly driving them together!

:v:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No, I know that. It's not him talking about phones that I found suspicious it was his phrasing. Like, instead of "You have a cellphone?" He said "high school students have cellphones now a days?" Which is kind of a weird way to say that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

omigosh! what a great chapter.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Perhaps. But I think it's still because it's unusual for a teen to have one. It's Asa's mother's not hers and the other teens are surprised she has one too. It is odd phrasing but it doesn't seem to stick out imo.

I am curious as to why Yoshida is warning her off now and not before. If he knows there is something hosed up about her I'd assume he'd have known since first meeting. Perhaps he only figured her stuff out after the Aquarium. Hard to imagine him not noticing her spear or wondering how they got out whereas no one else did.

Was the concept of parasocial relationships well known in the late 90s? Obviously with youtubers and twitch streamers it's quite common to hear about it these days, at least online, but I don't recall that sort of conversation happening about TV personalities in the 90s. Maybe could see it happening in the 50s-70s when TVs started becoming more widespread?

It was extant then for sure but I don't think well known. I think Fujimoto is pretty clearly commenting on modern par asocial elements though which Chainsaw is a living metaphor for. The 1997 comment isn't conjecture, it's explicitly in text in case that sounds like something I was reckoning based on context cues.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yoshida is sending Asa some really mixed messages by introducing her to Denji then telling her to stay away from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fHl9bxVT58

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jerkface posted:

omigosh! what a great chapter.

it's time for a new title

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yoshida is sending Asa some really mixed messages by introducing her to Denji then telling her to stay away from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fHl9bxVT58

This was my thought too but I think he's picked up there is something off about her since the aquarium. That doesn't require him being able to see the scars or anything. He's just the only one with enough braincells to actually wonder "how did we get out of here" and see Asa with the spear.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Lol, was Nayuta laying on Denji's butt when she said she smelled something nasty?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Lol, was Nayuta laying on Denji's butt when she said she smelled something nasty?

Looks like it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Was the concept of parasocial relationships well known in the late 90s? Obviously with youtubers and twitch streamers it's quite common to hear about it these days, at least online, but I don't recall that sort of conversation happening about TV personalities in the 90s. Maybe could see it happening in the 50s-70s when TVs started becoming more widespread?

Maybe they watched Tony Scott's The Fan

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So… another two week wait?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the Virginity Devil is trying its damnedest to make sure Denji never gets laid

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Supremezero posted:

"Oh no! He's meeting all of my standards!"

Asa's standards:

1. Breathing

2. Gives her even the slightest amount of positive attention

3. There is no third standard, that's it, those first two are the whole list

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Asa's standards:

1. Breathing

I’m not sure #1 is even necessary

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we saw Asa lose her mom earlier but did we get a confirmation of what happened to dad? you can assume it happened at the same time but this is anime. absentee fathers are a dime a dozen

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

"I'm glad we had this chat. Have a good one."

I have absolutely zero language chops but I wonder if this was an instance where whatever term was used in Japanese translates easily to parasocial but has been in widespread use longer than its English equivalent, leaving you the choice between a clunky paraphrase and a perfectly apt but slightly anachronistic term. Wish more serially published manga had translators' notes, rip that mha guy

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 21, 2023

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Maybe he died in the war, and now the war lives in her!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Scholtz posted:

Maybe he died in the war, and now the war lives in her!

Yoru gets Denji to vomit up nuclear weapons but Asa gets Yoru to vomit up her dad

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Maybe it’s actually been the present day all along, but chainsaw man ate the 21st century leaving things stuck in the 90’s like the Matrix. And Yoshida is the only one who remembers the popularization of the term parasocial relationship.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Valentin posted:

"I'm glad we had this chat. Have a good one."

I have absolutely zero language chops but I wonder if this was an instance where whatever term was used in Japanese translates easily to parasocial but has been in widespread use longer than its English equivalent, leaving you the choice between a clunky paraphrase and a perfectly apt but slightly anachronistic term. Wish more serially published manga had translators' notes, rip that mha guy

Occasionally you can find things like this on twitter, for example apparently Yoshida's "I'd rather not say" is even ruder in Japanese:

https://twitter.com/grimslyaki/status/1628109261279748096?s=20

Edit:

A little more detailed explanation, there's some more good translations on this person's twitter:

https://twitter.com/psicheanima/status/1628130109021380612?s=20

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 21, 2023

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ImpAtom posted:

So... Suicide Devil? Social Anxiety Devil?

Came here to post this. I don't think Yoru was being nice to Asa at the end necessarily, more like she realized something was off with Asa thinking and saying a bunch of negative mildly suicidal stuff.

Mildly obvious prediction: Everyone in the building will probably jump, Yoru will assume direct control to prevent Asa from offing herself, and then Denji will save the day because he's idk too dumb for suicide or maybe something more wholesome.

Also in my opinion everyone (not just here) is way, way overthinking stuff about Yoshida and will just be disappointed when his character ends up being mostly face value.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh, and for extra salt in Asa's wounds:

https://twitter.com/psicheanima/status/1625539727116869632?s=20

Really setting her up for that fall.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh does he ask her to get some tea with him (a common pick up line) or is it more nuanced than that?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Asa's standards:

1. Breathing

She has even lower standards than Denji, which is saying something.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yoshida and Nayuta are kinda advocating for the same thing here, right?

Like what Nayuta is saying is just a parasocial relationship, right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yoshida is actually under Nayuta’s control

I’m not gonna let a 99% failure rate on guesses stop me

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Asa has horrific standards but Yoshida is insanely hot and cool so that really passes him a lot of checks when it comes to teen dating standards

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

Asa has horrific standards but Yoshida is insanely hot and cool so that really passes him a lot of checks when it comes to teen dating standards

he's even got an air of mystery with the Public Safety rumor. that's teen movie love interest fodder if I've ever heard of one before

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

he's even got an air of mystery with the Public Safety rumor. that's teen movie love interest fodder if I've ever heard of one before

he has it all!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Occasionally you can find things like this on twitter, for example apparently Yoshida's "I'd rather not say" is even ruder in Japanese:

https://twitter.com/grimslyaki/status/1628109261279748096?s=20

Edit:

A little more detailed explanation, there's some more good translations on this person's twitter:

https://twitter.com/psicheanima/status/1628130109021380612?s=20
i dunno if the katakana there indicates rudeness per se - it definitely emphasizes the word, but given the characters involved i'd be more inclined to think it's hinting (to the reader at least) that yoshida's not inclined to explain to *Asa*, and he knows there's someone else in there who can hear him too

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yoshida is probably thousands of years old, another irresistible trait in teen novels around the world

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Steve Yun posted:

Yoshida is actually under Nayuta’s control

I’m not gonna let a 99% failure rate on guesses stop me

You might actually be on to something here. Yoshida's job is to keep Denji happy and in line, presumably to keep Nayuta happy/in line.

I don't remember if it's true myself, but if Yoshida was the one who introduced Asa to Denji. He could have done so to try and keep Denji happy by setting him up, but back off once Nayuta got pissed off about it.

The questions are is how he knows about all this, who he's taking orders from (and whether Nayuta controls them), and if he actually knows about Yoru or not.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd beat up Yoshida

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

You might actually be on to something here. Yoshida's job is to keep Denji happy and in line, presumably to keep Nayuta happy/in line.

I don't remember if it's true myself, but if Yoshida was the one who introduced Asa to Denji. He could have done so to try and keep Denji happy by setting him up, but back off once Nayuta got pissed off about it.

The questions are is how he knows about all this, who he's taking orders from (and whether Nayuta controls them), and if he actually knows about Yoru or not.

He did introduce them after the cake eating scene when Denji said why he wanted people to know he was csm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yoshida and Nayuta are kinda advocating for the same thing here, right?

Like what Nayuta is saying is just a parasocial relationship, right?

yeah nayuta's advice pretty obviously lacks perspective in addition to coming from a selfish place (which makes sense, she's a kid). we've continually come back to the question of what denji actually wants now that he's nominally risen above pure day-to-day survival, and it seems probably relevant that nayuta's thoughts here echo the way denji is thinking about chainsaw and fame near the end of part I, and he for the time being appears to choose to stay in that mindset rather than explore further

also fun that yoshida plays femcel asa by appealing to her sense of moral/intellectual superiority (sure, it's easier to get by day-to-day with someone else, but actually there's no guarantee of a good relationship) while nayuta goes purely for scale (which feels like a bit of a reversal of makima's stance; rather than "most movies are bad, so let's get rid of everything bad and make sure there are only the few good ones", it's "who cares about connecting deeply to one person when you can glut yourself on the love of millions")

e: also how have people posted so much about translation and no one said anything about the best and funniest choice in the chapter, "methinks". fuckin reddit-rear end war.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 21, 2023