Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I've got like 150 potions stocked up now. The only items I've used were eggs but I suppose I might as well try the mog amulet since I've got two characters with rare collector on my farming team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It wouldn't really feel right if I actually used game mechanics to clear that song. I cleared everything else (the other 15s and 16s in the theatrhythm category, some scattered ones from other games) in like 3 or 4 tries max with whatever setup i'm using, no point in actually playing the game properly 100 attempts in. It's kinda ridiculous how much harder this is than the entire rest of the game that I know of, you could probably accurately rate it at 18 with nothing else being higher than 16.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Looking at the list more in specific now, I get the reasons for having these characters in a special Summon Type group - Rydia, Garnet, Eiko, and Yuna - but it's such a small group just for one type.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Good healers and defense characters really let you punch above your weight in terms of song difficulty. The trade off of course being damage output, which does begin to matter when you have quests to kill things.

I've personally been using Vanille & Y'shtola the most for healers. Vanille has multiple ways to bring you back from the brink with Oerba's Boon & Full Cure both healing you back to 100% from 10%. Y'shtola just gives a metric boatload of passive regen.

Yshtola can do some absolutely absurd healing so long as you don't die quick because regen is one of the best heals. Lenna's Arise is pretty useful too.

I think technically if you do nothing but perfect chains you shouldn't bring a healer or a defensive type. Most of the time, Agrias's Paeon is enough for me, or Alphinaud's summon poo poo (if you bring phoenix). Unless I'm punching way, way above into the "hard, not fun" territory, I just bring either a healer or a tank. Bringing both feels overkill for where I feel my skill level is at.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Good healers and defense characters really let you punch above your weight in terms of song difficulty. The trade-off, of course being damage output, which does begin to matter when you have quests to kill things.

I've personally been using Vanille & Y'shtola the most for healers. Vanille has multiple ways to bring you back from the brink with Oerba's Boon & Full Cure both healing you back to 100% from 10%. Y'shtola just gives a metric boatload of passive regen.

I've found Minwu to very quietly be my MVP of healing. Arise doesn't seem like much, but super-Regen is going to refill you from fairly low to full in only a few seconds of successful triggers on Supreme and Ultimate and it keeps going for the rest of the song and auto-triggers at 50%. If I'm not making it to the middle of the song with two other healing abilities (including normal Regen), then I've got bigger concerns than lacking a big heal.

And I've found big heals at low percent pretty unreliable anywho. The problem with special character-specific big heals is how the game handles ability triggers- if you have a couple queued already the heal gets shoved to the end of the queue, and if it's one that triggers a character cut-in it also can't pop during summon, which left me hanging a few times when I was trying Vanille as my main Healer in the demo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Someone's made a spreadsheet for party builds for general-purpose quests as well as specific quests.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Noctis seems to be in a ton of builds, which is good because he's an excellent character. And an even better friend.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
All the guy wanted was to camp and fish with his best bros

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Noctis and Aranea have the only boss-focused abilities that can hit multiple bosses, which can be a huge plus. Noctis also has Mug and seems to have some good versatility.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If you want a more general purpose character, Bartz is pretty crazy due to how some of his skills work. His Unique "Job Mastered!!" gives him 150 in all stats when it activates. He can also learn Mimic which copies the last skill that went off.... and coincidentally has the same exact activation requirements as Job Mastered. So if you order his skills with Job Mastered first then Mimic he just instantly gains 300 to all his stats once it pops making him a nutty stat stick of a character. The cherry on top is that these boosts can go past the base limit of 999 so even when you have lots of characters at 99 with star levels he's still gonna go above and beyond.

An even bigger cherry on top is that other characters get Mimic so they can also get loads of free stats.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I liked when, on the main menu, Noctis says to Chocobo, Garland, and Gilgamesh "you guys ... are the best"

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I only wish Noctis had more trigger attacks, hence why I tend to prefer Aranea since she has nice utility blades that come in handy for some bosses. For running field maps, Noctis is super nice to have though. I did end up using that that Mimic Graviga team to take down Yiazmat though. In the process while doing team experimentation, learned that Stone Breath is a physical attack which you wanna use blind or dark buster on, in case anyone wants to try a non-mimic graviga strategy.

Ace, Aphmau, and Lightning #2 is a fun build though. Throw in Onion Knight too for extra attacks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Healers are fairly interchangeable for the most part but the standouts to me personally are Sarah (status removal), Ignis (Regroup also offers damage mitigation, which is nice). Rosa is technically a healer but I also find her a great magical support option - Poison to wear down early foes, Holy for an extra nuke, and Miracle also has a magic defense debuff on a boss which is really nice.

Gladiolus is usually my pick for tank but I imagine Snow could be good too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I find that Noctis's Blink and someone bringing Protect is more than enough on the tanking side.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ramza also has Mimic, as well as his own Scream so he could also boost his stats fairly high with Bartz.

Just noticed FF3 Cid can smash his airship unlimited times. Needs the same amount of triggers as a Meteor though so dunno how viable that is for a team build, though Lightning and Vaan can help reduce that a little. Probably fun for a gimmick team on a super long song anyways to just be crashing airships all day.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

FireWorksWell posted:

Nope, just outfits for moogles, cards and items. Don't stress yourself over them.
I'm irrationally upset that the reward outfit for FFRK is a generic blue shirt instead of something more scholarly for Dr. Mog.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Why do the titles to all the Dissida songs look like I downloaded them off of Limewire

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i don’t know but it seems like something that could be safely blamed on nomura

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Got a SSS Perfect Chain first try on Ultimate Not Alone. The one song I would never let myself gently caress up on.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Draga posted:

Got a SSS Perfect Chain first try on Ultimate Not Alone. The one song I would never let myself gently caress up on.

I have a feeling You Are Not Alone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zurtilik posted:

Relationship with Quetzalcoatl ended. Ifrit is my GF now.

My only experience with FFVIII before yesterday was that demo. I don't think the demo was actually from Pizza Hut but my brain associates the demo with Pizza Hut and so it's all a very greasy memory of me using Shiva a lot.

Edit: oh it was a pizza hut disk.

At the time, the fast food chain Pizza Hut also had a deal where they gave out PlayStation demo discs with their pizzas, and Final Fantasy VIII was in this offer as well. The North American release of the PlayStation demo was rated M (Mature). The full game is rated T (Teen). This makes the Final Fantasy VIII Demo the first Final Fantasy release to receive the M rating.

FF8 was my first JRPG (and maybe even "game I played for more than an hour or so" - I didn't game much as a kid), which I asked my parents for after seeing the PC version in a bin at an OfficeMax.

I remember thinking it was an amazing experience, but remember very little specifically aside from getting swole off of junctioned items returned from the chocobo minigame (that came with the PC version).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ytlaya posted:

I remember thinking it was an amazing experience, but remember very little specifically aside from getting swole off of junctioned items returned from the chocobo minigame (that came with the PC version).

Getting absurdly powerful by messing around with a minigame and the junction system? That's the game, more or less

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Playing through 400ish songs takes an awful lot of time. Hopefully I'll have the series questline done in the next couple days, only a few titles left to go...

Of course then I have to redo the 50% of the quests I didn't do, but details...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jokes posted:

Getting absurdly powerful by messing around with a minigame and the junction system? That's the game, more or less

The great thing about that chocobo minigame is that it ran by itself. It just passively generated a zillion items for you.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I really should be paying more attention to the switch release list! I played Theatrhythm and Curtain Call a lot but I had no idea this game existed in any form until I checked the shop to see when BotW2 was due. Guessing from the amount of discussion here that it was fairly well-received, which is great because the series is complete FF comfort food for me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arguably, the best part of Final Fantasy is the music. Theatrhythm is just the music with party management and some sort of guitar hero minigame attached.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Cranked up my trigger speed to 2x for FFIV Lunar Whale quest with slow triggers then immediately went into Battle of the 4 Fiends without switching it back. That was fun but felt like I couldn't blink the whole time.

Also got Zeromus down after a few tries with a snipe from Alexander after he retreated off screen lol.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How come some songs done in Series Quests, do not show your records for that song in Music Stages? is this a bug?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Some series quest songs have bonus damage done modifiers that do not get recorded.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

im playing through tracks, vibing, but have no idea whats going on below the triggers. I'm randomly completing quests but often am not. I'm playing on extreme. Any tips on what to do with parties? Who to first level, what I should be doing, etc?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Here is a good attempt to get through big bridge from earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5wAulyJtg0

Problem is, at around 1:30 I start to get wrecked because I only have full access to the left stick with this play style (you can see me mash the right stick earlier in the song at parts where there are 2 analogues) and can't do the part with the sets of 4 analogue inputs without 2 sticks. It's impossible to find the perfect play technique for a song like this. Could just do the standard R+L and 2 sticks, but I can't hit the buttons fast enough for that most of the time.

It's also REALLY easy to bad chain on this song in particular. If the bad chaining weren't a thing, it wouldn't be difficult to clear at all.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I don't think I'm gonna go for the platinum on this, Ultimate Brute Justice is just too much for me lol

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

biceps crimes posted:

im playing through tracks, vibing, but have no idea whats going on below the triggers. I'm randomly completing quests but often am not. I'm playing on extreme. Any tips on what to do with parties? Who to first level, what I should be doing, etc?

Really, you can make a pretty great team with more or less any team that isn't like 3-4 healers, but for good characters to use at the start:

Bartz: decent stats overall (only stat that's low is magic), has all the physical wind element skills (so aero/aeroa/aeroaga and tornado). His real utility comes from his special skill Job Mastered, which raises all of his stats up by 150, and can be activated twice in a song. He also has mimic, which takes the same amount of triggers to activate and will always reactivate Job Mastered if both are equipped, so you can raise his stats by 600 just by these two skills alone! Pretty great character to just throw into whatever part because no matter what he's going to be doing consistently good damage or consistently powering up your summons, and even if that's not your bag you can use mimic to do all sorts of weird things...

Cloud: Physical boss-puncher. Gets Omnislash and Ultima Blade, both strong skills that activate when a boss arrives. Also gets added cut, which will do damage every time 5 other abilities are activated, which with Cloud's good strength stat can go a long way in some longer stages at helping do consistent damage.

LIghtning + Squall: Cloud but electric and ice element-focused respectively. Lightning's ultimate skill Army of One doesn't target bosses but can be activated twice in a battle, and she gets ultima blade whereas Squall's ultimate skill does and he gets added cut.

Faris: Gets the skill dual wield (which causes physical abilities to trigger twice) and is fire focused.

That should cover all elements and give you a decent team to work with on physical based quests and what not without having to worry about buffs or whatnot. You can easily get into the weeds of optimizing damage with other characters and whatnot, and some quests will require that but this will help get you started if that's what you want to focus on.

You can also throw in some magic characters are well if want to go that route, with characters like Terra (boss killer, has ultima and riot blade which target bosses, and dual cast which will trigger those abilities twice). Maria (fire spells, ability to buff fire damage, and can poison enemies for nice passive damage), Vincent (fire focused, has the all ablity which allows his skills to multitarget) are also good choices. If you do go with magic characters, I'd suggest specializing towards one element, as these characters do the bulk of their damage via their abilities and so you will want to concentrate on buffs like enfire and faith and whatnot.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

OneMoreTime posted:

You can also throw in some magic characters are well if want to go that route, with characters like Terra (boss killer, has ultima and riot blade which target bosses, and dual cast which will trigger those abilities twice). Maria (fire spells, ability to buff fire damage, and can poison enemies for nice passive damage), Vincent (fire focused, has the all ablity which allows his skills to multitarget) are also good choices. If you do go with magic characters, I'd suggest specializing towards one element, as these characters do the bulk of their damage via their abilities and so you will want to concentrate on buffs like enfire and faith and whatnot.

Other things to take into consideration is just teaching a character Ruin since it's a non-elemental spell that procs on every type of trigger, the downside is having a higher trigger count compared to the elemental spells. This can be alleviated by bringing Lightning #2 and Aphmau. Bartz also becomes a valid candidate just cause his skill buffs all his stats so can still be a caster if you give it to him, and any other Mimics in the party can also copy his stat boost.

Notable Magic Users:

Dual-casters: Terra, ExDeath, Vivi

Trigger reducers: Ace, Lightning #2, Aphmau, Prishe, Onion Knight

Target All Casters: Emperor, Vincent, Kuja

Shantoto: Shantoto

Mimic + Bartz buff: Bartz, Ramza, Tyro, Wol, Ciaran

I might be missing a few characters since I haven't gotten everyone to 99 just yet. Also with Prishe and Onion Knight, you'd have to boost their magic stat with items since their base magic aren't gonna be as high as the natural casters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
adding onto this for easy/obvious characters to clear certain mission types:

Open X Chests: zidane. his thievery skill increases chest drop percentages significantly, feels like 50% or more. in a pinch you can pair him with red xiii (increases movement speed on field stages plus a significant atk+agi buff), but be wary of the defense debuffs that come with his special skills

Kill X Enemies: galuf and yuna. galuf's special skill basically has him nuke the second enemy group to show up, and yuna can instantly call in summons, which when paired with a good non-elemental summon like bahamut will delete the first enemy group and periodically wreck more of them afterward. these two are also great for thinning the herd if there's a lot of enemies before a boss you have to kill

Kill Boss With Ice: squall's lionheart skill triggers on boss spawn and it's dual ice/slash element. pair him with some dedicated ice mages (they're everywhere) and you're pretty much guaranteed to pop the objective if you reach the boss

Kill Boss With Thunder: lightning and golbez. this one's been trickier for me, because lightning's army of one is the only reliable dual phys/elec skill i've seen even if it doesn't trigger on boss spawn (orlandeau also has one but its trigger condition is absurdly impractical), and golbez had been the only character i've found with enthunder. i've had the most luck putting the two of them in a party with a solid dual caster like vivi

also it's been noted that of all the characters, noctis and aranea are unique in that their boss-trigger special attacks aren't one-use, meaning they'll recast them every time a new boss spawns. this is situational but invaluable for missions like the Four Fiends chart, which forces you to kill the aforementioned boss fiends before you can fight golbez

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Krile, Ultimecia, Hope, Rinoa and Aphmau have Enthunder. Lilisette's description says she can reduce thunder resistance but I don't see it in her skills so maybe an error, or I need to level her more.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 22, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Allarion posted:

Notable Magic Users:

I'd also point out some relevant magic support: Rinoa is probably the most flexible, but Y'shtola #2/Hope are options for Wind teams (which she doesn't cover).

Golbez is apparently really powerful on long quests but he does have a notable ramp up time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hold up so I didn't unlock Lenna's Theme for clearing the FF5 quest series? So where is it then??

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The series clear EMS are "loosies" in the Music menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

No Dignity posted:

Hold up so I didn't unlock Lenna's Theme for clearing the FF5 quest series? So where is it then??

It's not in the game.

The EMS songs are the same as they were in the original games, so Home Sweet Home for FFV. I think they only added one new EMS this game anyway (FFXV).