Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Action Park: Itsy Bitsy Spider Waterslide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

toplitzin posted:

Dryer died just before I left on a ten day trip.

Went to install backup dryer.
Outlet is wrong for modern plugs.
Pull outlet to swap it to a modern 50A receptacle.

It's loving 6/2 Service Entrance cable.
No ground in sight.
Gary used loving construction adhesive to hold the wire in the wall.

The single gang work box also wasn't into a stud, just a floating piece of 1"x2" wedged into the wall.

I'm now running 6/3, my arms hurt and my wallet is smoking.

loving Gary.

I read this like "does this goon know dryers don't come with plugs attached so they're designed to be easy to replace?...:stonk: You know what? Good thing they went about this the hard way"

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How about

toplitzin posted:

Went to install backup dryer.

like just went and grabbed it out of the shed

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe they moved with one and the house came with one. :shrug:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

toplitzin posted:

Wired to a NEMA 10-50R. The wire is 6 with two hot, and neutral. (The ground sheath was used as N, only ground is that at the G/N in the panel.)
In a too small single gang box, also ungrounded.

Well that's not quote as bad, assuming it went to a main panel where grounds and neutrals are tied together anyway. I don't know what the equivalent conductor of that sheath was, it was something though. In the main panel did it get formally grounded on a bus bar? That's what the neutral would do. In mine the neutral was just folded over in the box. It's not a huge difference because in the dryer the alternate wiring just has you jump neutral to ground.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Uthor posted:

Heh, this reminded me of my last place. Plug in the coax cable for my modem, getting no internet. Call the internet company, guy takes off the wall plate and there is absolutely nothing plugged in the other side. There were no wires in the wall. Just a wall plate. He had to run a wire from the post into the house and to the wall plate.

My house was built in 2014 and they fitted an absolute shitload of aerial (analogue and satellite) and phone sockets and not a single one of them works because all of the cables just neatly terminate into a box under the stairs, and are not connected to a single thing. It's bizarre, why go to all that effort and just not do the last bit?

Oh and then the previous owner got a satellite installer that just drilled straight through the wall to fit his own dish and cabling despite there (allegedly) being one in the loft already.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Splicer posted:

I want to pour a whole bunch of marbles down that.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I can see that loop being bad, and maybe the funnel parts being noisy, but that looks dope as gently caress.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Epitope posted:

How about

like just went and grabbed it out of the shed

The basement, but yes.

Platystemon posted:

Maybe they moved with one and the house came with one. :shrug:

Because this.

StormDrain posted:

Well that's not quote as bad, assuming it went to a main panel where grounds and neutrals are tied together anyway. I don't know what the equivalent conductor of that sheath was, it was something though. In the main panel did it get formally grounded on a bus bar? That's what the neutral would do. In mine the neutral was just folded over in the box. It's not a huge difference because in the dryer the alternate wiring just has you jump neutral to ground.

i have removed multiple suicide cords, and am currently rewiring the basement lights because it goes 12/2+g to 12/2 no ground back to 12/2+g

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 21, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

I can see that loop being bad, and maybe the funnel parts being noisy, but that looks dope as gently caress.

Yeah that seriously kicks rear end

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Look again at the design, there's a catcher down below so I'm guessing there's a hole at the bottom of the loop for when flow is low

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

My house was built in 2014 and they fitted an absolute shitload of aerial (analogue and satellite) and phone sockets and not a single one of them works because all of the cables just neatly terminate into a box under the stairs, and are not connected to a single thing. It's bizarre, why go to all that effort and just not do the last bit?

For coax, it's so you can patch the outlets you want to use and not degrade the signal too bad by having literally every room connected and unterminated.

For UTP, it's so you can can patch an outlet as either data or phone, plus you would need to patch your CPE in besides.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sentient Data posted:

Look again at the design, there's a catcher down below so I'm guessing there's a hole at the bottom of the loop for when flow is low

Thats what that is for. I was wondering about that.

Also, they could have made the loop to be fake fairly easily, but then it wouldn't be as cool.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“almost every female bathroom at my university has this narrow, twisty staircase. It's a shame since for the most part the building is accessible, having elevator, ramps and even wheelchair escalators”

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

For coax, it's so you can patch the outlets you want to use and not degrade the signal too bad by having literally every room connected and unterminated.

For UTP, it's so you can can patch an outlet as either data or phone, plus you would need to patch your CPE in besides.

Ohhh that would sort of make sense if *any* of them were actually connected. I'd forgotten about those old "signal booster" things you had to have if you had too many runs off one aerial/dish source.

I'm already thinking about converting the phone sockets to ethernet seeing as it's all cat 5, just need to be willing to spend an hour under the stairs doing it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Meanwhile, in Southwest Sydney that often sees temperatures in excess of 42 degress c (107.6 f) in summer:

Yup, that's $250pw to live in a loving metal GARDEN SHED

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
at least it had a happy ending

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's hard for me to make it out from those pictures, but looks to me it's 250$ a month to live in a (semi)portable toilet?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's hard for me to make it out from those pictures, but looks to me it's 250$ a month to live in a (semi)portable toilet?

That's $1000 a month, to live die of heatstroke in an uninsulated shed shoddily converted into an apartment

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hey, thats TWO sheds.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

Hey, thats TWO sheds.

Luxury!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

wesleywillis posted:

Hey, thats TWO sheds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also the shed has two showers

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

taiyoko posted:

That's $1000 a month, to live die of heatstroke in an uninsulated shed shoddily converted into an apartment

Only $685 USD

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hnggggg

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
I like how there's a handy urinal right outside that one window.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hermaphrodite posted:

I never noticed that, but I'd definitely be pissing out that window.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Hermaphrodite posted:

I went back looking at the 2-sheds thinking ... what windows?!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
First day at the nail and screw factory.
Foreman: "we're starting you out on packaging. You'll be filling these tiny boxes."
New Guy: "what's with the hole in the front?"
"That's a viewing window."
"Won't the screws fall out?"
"No, we attach a really thin sheet of brittle plastic, like a tiny window."
"Ah, so how do you attach the window?"
"We glue it on one and a half sides, sometimes two sides."
"Oh, must be a powerful adhesive."
"Funny you mention that. You know the real soft glue on sticky notes? It's more like that. Store it in a garage or shed and it will just fall off"
"And when you lose the window, then the screws fall out?"
"Exactly. The fun part is that you barely need to touch it for that to happen. It happens on the way home from the hardware store just sitting in the bag. If you drop one from any height, they're gone, baby."
"Why?"
"It's what the customers want."
"What if the customers don't use an entire box at a time, and want to store them for later?"
"Glad you brought that up. Some of our boxes have a perforated cardboard opening that can be resealed. Like that one"
"I don't see the opening"
"Look closer, it's under the giant sticker that tells you what's in the box. You gotta peel that off first"
"But then you no longer know what's in the resealable box when you go to use it again "
"Look, it's what the customers want. Hey check it out, that little window already fell off in the time since we started talking "

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Just do what my dad would do and put the spare screws in whatever empty container you had laying around, mixed with whatever else you threw in there.

I thought I had found them all and half organized everything until I found yet another container with random screws in the basement last month after he passed away. Ah, the memories.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
To bring things back to drainpipes, these come from the 19th century (and reddit) and are just amazing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Not even one with a man making GBS threads on the street?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want to make a joke about them being grotesque, but they are literally gargoyles.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

To bring things back to drainpipes, these come from the 19th century (and reddit) and are just amazing.

Arrested for jacking off on the street to the titty drainpipe but it was worth it beats going into the woods to find the tree that Harry carved a pair of titties on back in '97 they're all deformed and barky now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm already thinking about converting the phone sockets to ethernet seeing as it's all cat 5, just need to be willing to spend an hour under the stairs doing it.

Oh, if the wall sockets are actually RJ12 then I'm wrong.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Oh, if the wall sockets are actually RJ12 then I'm wrong.

Yeah they're full width boxes so just need the faceplates changing as all are cat 5e (I really hope there's enough slack in the cable to do this else I'm going to have to crimp an end on and I don't have a crimping tool). Seems that metal faced ethernet sockets are weirdly expensive though.

Also one of them is in a really weird place in the kitchen and while I was squinting at it trying to work out why you'd put a phone socket that close to a sink I realised that they'd ripped off a splashback at some point to fit a new worktop with edging, and then crudely filled around the back boxes and just remounted the faceplates. Problem is that with a thicker vertical edge on the work surface that's right below the sockets, anything you plug in doesn't sit right anymore because the bottom of the cable gets pushed out by the edging.

The worksurface must have cost a decent amount of money when they replaced it and yet they left all the lovely cabinets in place underneath it. Perfect example of "looks nice but is actually cheap" that we should have spotted.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One of the biggest crimes in modern architecture is the complete lack of embellishments on buildings anymore. Walk around your town or city and older buildings have all kinds of purely decorative stuff on them. Nothing built since the 80s (is this another thing we can blame on Reagan?) has that stuff anymore.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hey I have two pairs of non functional shutters on my condo.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Nenonen posted:

That 7 angle definitely will. Or tree leaves will clog it before that.

Is this just someone's weird way of putting the address on the building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is that a lead pipe?