Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Steve Yun posted:

Yoshida is actually under Nayuta’s control

I’m not gonna let a 99% failure rate on guesses stop me

See, I thought that might be the case too, but in this chapter we learned that they each want Denji to do very different things.

Nayuta is all "Keep being Chainsaw Man cause it's cool dingus!"

While Yoshida is all "Please stop being Chainsaw Man, dingus."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

See, I thought that might be the case too, but in this chapter we learned that they each want Denji to do very different things.

Nayuta is all "Keep being Chainsaw Man cause it's cool dingus!"

While Yoshida is all "Please stop being Chainsaw Man, dingus."

Unless I'm missing something Yohida is saying "don't reveal your identity, dignus" not "don't be Chainsawman".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Unless I'm missing something Yohida is saying "don't reveal your identity, dignus" not "don't be Chainsawman".

He says "We don't want you turning into Chainsaw Man" at the cafe, so yeah. He and Nayuta have opposed motives.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The little bit of Nayuta in this chapter helped build her relationship with Denji just a little more and I liked that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, Chainsaw Man part 2 is going to be so fun to reread when it's finished and we have more context for what's happening and why.

It's incredibly fun to read chapter by chapter, but much like part 1 I suspect a lot of things are going to hit differently when we know certain things about certain characters and what their true motivations are.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

My girlfriend finally read the rest of part 1 today because I told her part 2 kinda becomes a shoujo romance. Watching her reaction through the introduction of Asa, Denji being brought in again, "okay even if he did eat someone, that was ONE TIME", like. Oh my god, it's priceless. Week to week I feel like part 2 has been a bit weaker, but in one go, its a blast so far for both of us.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, Chainsaw Man part 2 is going to be so fun to reread when it's finished and we have more context for what's happening and why.

It's incredibly fun to read chapter by chapter, but much like part 1 I suspect a lot of things are going to hit differently when we know certain things about certain characters and what their true motivations are.

I will never not hoot and holler at all the Asa-tism pages and her genuine reactions to all these misunderstandings.

She is like easily in my top 5 manga characters maybe of all time but definitely in current run.

blossommirage posted:

My girlfriend finally read the rest of part 1 today because I told her part 2 kinda becomes a shoujo romance. Watching her reaction through the introduction of Asa, Denji being brought in again, "okay even if he did eat someone, that was ONE TIME", like. Oh my god, it's priceless. Week to week I feel like part 2 has been a bit weaker, but in one go, its a blast so far for both of us.

I think Part 1 was just such a kinetic run, it feels like almost every chapter is some insane reveal or crazy devil or something incredibly hosed up. Part 2 is a lot more subdued and different, but I like a lot. Fujimoto just has such strong character work I can't help but be drawn in by all the weirdos in part 2.

If it brings in sme more of that kinetic craziness we saw in part 1 (and i realize thats a silly ask for part 2 which already had super uniform sword and aquarium spear and justice devil and cochroach devil etc) its gonna just raise the bar.

Only gripe is there is no one quite on Makima's level or Power's level. Asa and Yoru are their own thing right now, and Nayuta has just entered the series. I'd love to get some more regulars in here. Loving the asa show tho.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m enjoying how different it is

Makima was not only a horseman, but she also absorbed so many peoples’ powers that she could do anything, the manga wouldn’t explain it and we’d just assume it was another of her countless devil powers she stole from someone. She even had the backing of the Japanese govt to be unkillable. She even held her own against a devil from another tier up for a minute.

Meanwhile you get her sister from the same weight class who got most of her powers taken from her by CSM and just runs around as a powerless hooty bird stuck in a dumb girl’s body in an endless comedy of errors and even getting her rear end handed to her by the weak baby New Game Plus of Makima

Fami is (probably) also in a similarly precarious situation where she has to scheme from the sidelines to get what she wants instead of doing things herself

The switch to high school drama is great, despite not being action packed it’s still full of surprises

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 22, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The mangaka is at the point where the true intentions and themes of the manga are slowly revealing themselves again, inch by inch.
Even though Denji and Asa both have a close relationship with someone who knows them well, both are starved for a romantic relationship. For circumstances outside of their control, both are driven away from each other, and they are told that parasocial relationships are the ideal. To be loved by one person or to be adored by many. To be admonished by one or to be detested by the crowd.

I imagine this theme will be brought up in conjunction with the motif of war and famine. Perhaps it will be about the parasocial relationships of war, or perhaps the hunger to have more than what you alreayd have.

Also, I am certain that Fami set up that death to frame Asa/Yoru; I suspect she sees some way for Asa and Yoru to grow by becoming marked as a criminal.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

omg chainsaw man plushie

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

blossommirage posted:

You save the world and nobody cares but you eat one person and suddenly you're a cannibal.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Just finished part 1.

A month or two ago someone made a comment to me about Makima being 'such a snack'. They deserve an award.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm not feeling part 2 as much as part 1 yet, either... but some of that is since I caught up with part 1 as the Reze arc was starting, so things were well into motion, while part 2 is still building momentum. Makes things unfair.

That said, if I was going to say things that don't work as well for me with part 2, a few things come to mind.

1) The cast dynamics aren't as interesting yet. Chainsaw Man had Aki, Power, and Denji from chapter 4, and Makima and Denji in chapter 1, and they all bounced off each other in ways that fleshed out their characters, with Himeno, Kobeni and Arai adding more to get through until gunfire started.

In part 2, we've got a similar number of characters we've had around long enough to care about (Asa, Yoru, Denji, Yuko, Yoshida, Nayuta) but they don't have the same web of interactions. Denji never really met Yuko beyond one fight, Yoshida and Nayuta don't seem to have the faintest history together, and no-one else can see Yoru when she's not hijacking Asa's body. What we get is mostly great, but there's just less to play with, since we spent so long focused on Asa... and her main non-Yoru dynamic went away when Yuko did.

Worse, there's the Devil Hunter club as a big chunk of the supporting cast, which hasn't really gotten much of a chance to shine. Sure, it could be a Kobeni situation where they'll be fan favorites by the end, but, well, we're not there yet, and the Nakamura route is open too.

2) There's much less of a through-line. The Gun Devil was a very Shonen Jump kind of main villain, which is part of why he was a decoy, but he gave clear direction to Denji and Aki's goals, even when arcs didn't directly advance things. Meanwhile, Asa and Yoru feel like they're flailing, because they are flailing. Unlike with Denji and Aki's quest, we know the punchline in advance, so the joke's setup feels much more drawn out, and the actual villainous plot feels much more frustrating when we have no idea how it's going.

3) This one's a big one: Skip weeks. Just getting less Chainsaw Man means that any time we're in rising action, or coming off a weaker chapter, or just waiting impatiently to find things out, it's longer. Doesn't make the manga any worse, (in fact, it probably makes it better since it gives Fujimoto more time to work on the art) but it does make the week-to-week experience rougher.

Also, there's going to be an announcement about the anime this week in Jump. So that'll be fun.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ranzear posted:

Just finished part 1.

A month or two ago someone made a comment to me about Makima being 'such a snack'. They deserve an award.

Rereading part 1 is full of gems

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/csperfectshot/status/1628238229957648384?s=46&t=Vrpi9CQyT6jfE-b7HNZuKw

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

does part 2 end with asa and Denji as a couple going into hell to wage war on all devils and rescue power

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
G Gundam, Denji plays the part of Rain

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Maybe it's just novelty, but I find myself likely Part 2 about as much as Part 1 so far. Asa is a great co-protagonist, and the more I think of the tone shift, the more I like it.
Denji in Part 1 wanted all the things he has in Part 2, and now he's moved from surviving to living, showing Pochita his dream, which isn't quite what he expected. The move to relationship drama and mixed signals as the current big fights makes sense for this stage in Denji's life, and it's allowed Fujimoto's comedic stylings to have more of a forefront than the later half of Part 1 (for the most part). When I think of my favorite moment in Part 1, I don't think of the fights, or even necessarily the big reveals, I think of Kobeni at the burger restaurant and the fallout there.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I think 1 was just such a complete story that I wouldn't expect a continuation to do the same thing. Like, I'm expecting an entirely different thrust to this story. So the different pacing and narrative style are working for me. Maybe it won't pan out, but I'm betting Fujimoto will continue being a genius.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I love part 2, and I think it shows how skillful Fujimoto is as a writer to nail the shift in tone.

There’s clearly a lot more people in the background this time doing things, which changes the tone a lot too. Part 1 was public safety vs devils which turned into Makima vs everyone. This time its way more factions. Theres Fami, the chainsawman imposter and the get to be seen Justice devil, Yoshida and obviously the war devil. So the fact that an awkward teenage high school drama is also happening makes part 2 really compelling to me.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we've also lost track of the devil hunter club kid who was stalking Asa

I like that part 2 is a bit of a slower burn. trying to nail the same story beats as Part 1 is a fools errand, so the introduction of a new main character is very interesting to me. plus I really like Asa

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am glad that the setting essentially hit a soft reset button or else it would just be a story of constant escalation.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It took until the aquarium for Part 2 to really justify it's existence and not just feel like Chainsaw Man 2: The Search For More Money. Like the characters weren't bad but it just felt aimless. Maybe I wouldn't have thought so if Yuko hadn't entered, made me think maybe Asa was just gay, and then died to reveal that no Asa is a femcel.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
part 2 was great from the first chapter and has only gotten better. in my opinion

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Big Leg posted:

part 2 was great from the first chapter and has only gotten better. in my opinion

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

those who had less faith in Fuji will be cast down

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Flair posted:

The mangaka is at the point where the true intentions and themes of the manga are slowly revealing themselves again, inch by inch.

Also, I am certain that Fami set up that death to frame Asa/Yoru; I suspect she sees some way for Asa and Yoru to grow by becoming marked as a criminal.

If it goes that way, that seems more like something Justice would do than Fami. We haven’t heard anything from the Justice devil in a while.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I like part 2 more than part 1, but that's because I'm a sucker for slice-of-life bullshit, especially if a super-natural element is involved.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Big Leg posted:

:agreed:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Big Leg posted:

The man did not miss a beat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I also am enjoying Part 2 a bit more than the same time frame in Part 1. The slower pace snd worldbuilding helps a lot.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Chainsawman Part 2 is a JoJo-like part shift and I did not expect Fujimoto to pull that off so well.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Big Leg posted:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Chainsawman Part 2 is a JoJo-like part shift and I did not expect Fujimoto to pull that off so well.

Good comp.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Big Leg posted:

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
much like how it went for me during part 1, pulling my expectations so far out in all directions with every cliffhanger can be exhausting but eventually by the end all possibilities collapse into a "huh, that was actually pretty great" in retrospect

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
One thing I find interesting to think about is that most of the cast are all peers with the main character in this part, while in Part 1 Denji was surrounded by adults who held authority over him.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

wokow6 posted:

One thing I find interesting to think about is that most of the cast are all peers with the main character in this part, while in Part 1 Denji was surrounded by adults who held authority over him.

What is this Power erasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think you'll find Power was superior to Denji in every way :colbert: