Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pollyanna posted:

it’s not about product, feature, or sense. it’s about money. future bagholders see chatgpt and spew dollar signs everywhere, so don’t think about it too hard and just grift

for a startup seeking vc, yes. for microsoft? their grift is ten thousand subscriptions services and licensing schemes, what the gently caress do they need chatgpt for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

more. more grift

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

microsoft: we will resolutely double down on deploying this worthless bullshit everywhere

as predicted, there is no level of failure that will prevent them from cramming their gpt engine into every single product line they own, whether or not it even makes any sense as a feature

i doubt microsoft views what has happened in the last few weeks as anything *close* to a failure. i don't really see it either, it's tech demo garbage, but that is one successful tech demo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, their star product accused a reporter of murder during a pr fluff piece, by microsoft's standards this is a stunning success

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

I still don’t get what all the phrenology racist brainlords think should be done about the white birth “crisis,” I’ve never seen one of them advocate for making it less financially ruinous to have a kid, or for healthcare outcomes for pregnant people to improve

they are blue maga and believe in trump's 'race horse theory' where if you take a successful man and a successful woman and mash their bits together they will have a successful child. thats it. and of course, they're always the successful parents to be.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

they are blue maga and believe in trump's 'race horse theory' where if you take a successful man and a successful woman and mash their bits together they will have a successful child. thats it. and of course, they're always the successful parents to be.

*points to trump's children* see? it works

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

they go into their choice of eyeglass frames in the article even.

read if you want to be super bummed out

https://www.businessinsider.com/pronatalism-elon-musk-simone-malcolm-collins-underpopulation-breeding-tech-2022-11

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

yes, their star product accused a reporter of murder during a pr fluff piece, by microsoft's standards this is a stunning success

they probably popped the champagne because they made the nyt front page

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the three kinds of people in existence are:
1) the ones who wont read that (most)
2) the ones who are amazed and impressed with that (some)
3) the ones who lol, lmao (us)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's no such thing as bad press.

there's also no such thing as harassment, i assure myself as my llm becomes increasingly unhinged with reporters

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol it's just doing that thing it does sometimes where it repeats a token with slight variations each time

you're married. you're married? you're married! you're married?! you're married!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's broken in quite a few ways, which is why microsoft has expanded its service to answer questions in group chats with your family

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there's no such thing as bad press.

there's also no such thing as harassment, i assure myself as my llm becomes increasingly unhinged with reporters

so, like, are you predicting this to bring msft share prices down?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

they go into their choice of eyeglass frames in the article even.

read if you want to be super bummed out

https://www.businessinsider.com/pronatalism-elon-musk-simone-malcolm-collins-underpopulation-breeding-tech-2022-11
I know about that but there will never be enough of those people to "solve" the population "problem." if the richest million families had 10 extra kids each over 10 years it still wouldn't do much of anything

I am keenly aware it's a rotten argument to its core I just don't get the point of it other than casual racism, it's infuriatingly nonsensical and I also don't get why so many valley tech weenises believe in it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

so, like, are you predicting this to bring msft share prices down?

no, i'm saying this is a bad product that will in an absolute best case scenario be a detriment to everything they shoehorn it into, and they will absolutely shoehorn it into everything they sell.

i'm saying this will in a real and measurable sense make my life worse

idgaf about microsoft's stock

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

I know about that but there will never be enough of those people to "solve" the population "problem." if the richest million families had 10 extra kids each over 10 years it still wouldn't do much of anything

I am keenly aware it's a rotten argument to its core I just don't get the point of it other than casual racism, it's infuriatingly nonsensical and I also don't get why so many valley tech weenises believe in it

well, you see, it's looking a lot like idocracy was a documentary

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its narcissism. they think idiocracy is a documentary. the only value they have to the world is their mba or whatever and one way to (incorrectly) rationalize away the the "well getting a successful career and making money is a lottery but biased against women and poc" is telling yourself the powerball winners are stored in your balls

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

idgaf about microsoft's stock

it's what pr means for a tech company in 2023 though

it is not failing at what it is for.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

ok but if those 10 kids then also have 10 kids in 10 years and those 10 kids have 10 kids soon the entire volume of the observable universe will be my superior genetic material

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you'd think the literal elite would be aware that their status would be threatened if there were 20 million more dudes exactly like them out there

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
medieval lords just did primogeniture

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I would not think the the literal elite would be aware of anything at all.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

its narcissism. they think idiocracy is a documentary. the only value they have to the world is their mba or whatever and one way to (incorrectly) rationalize away the the "well getting a successful career and making money is a lottery but biased against women and poc" is telling yourself the powerball winners are stored in your balls

Powerballs was a good Jackie Treehorn movie

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shame Boy posted:

ok but if those 10 kids then also have 10 kids in 10 years and those 10 kids have 10 kids soon the entire volume of the observable universe will be my superior genetic material

they unironically make this argument in the first bit of the article, yes.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only way to a truly fair society is babies are randomly reassigned immediately after birth. if you have a baby you will get a baby within a week of giving birth. if you're lucky it might be the one with your genetics!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

they unironically make this argument in the first bit of the article, yes.

oh i know, i read that article a while ago and it stuck in my head as a great example of how supposedly smart people can be the dumbest motherfuckers in the universe

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
then again, medieval lords often really valued chastity in pretty good faith, sorta dissipating in the early modern era. you can't assume a modern american elite person believes in their own putative religion in good faith tho

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

then again, medieval lords often really valued chastity in pretty good faith. you can't assume a modern american elite person believes in their putative religion in good faith tho

no i think they believe in money, wealth and power pretty earnestly

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

this joke brought to you by like, an edgy dad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can't assume a modern american elite person believes in their own putative religion in good faith tho

that couple goes into how they are 'secular calvinists' i am not making this up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wealth and power is their actual religion, the putative one is jesus or whatever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

more like hollyweird!!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

in this episode: the interview subjects' barely disguised fetish

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

impressive

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

lol gently caress

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jonny 290 posted:

:dafuq:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Roosevelt posted:

did u get dumped already for another more titillating waifu?

no I didn’t want the joke to get old

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

does "calvin" in this context refer to calvinball?