Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know one large busted grappler who will smother her opponents and laugh about it.

But instead of using high mount then she should use knee on belly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not to be all "MY GIRLFRIEND!!" but an actual, real problem she has is she doesn't like laying down in top mount because she has a large bust, so her mount is always upright and vulnerable to bridging.

If this is the case, to CommonShore's earlier comment knee on belly should be a decent option for her if she prefers to stay upright.

EFB by the man himself

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

To be entirely unhelpful, I would suggest they video tape themselves rolling a bunch of times and figure out where the holes in their game seems to be and find moves to fill in the gap instead of learning a bunch of moves they may or may not even like to do.

If theyre getting entirely stomped out by less experienced people entirely and its not all former wrestlers and absolute giant there maybe a more fundamental problem, conversely if they're doing well and just messing up a little it could be they suck because theyre a blue belt what doesnt train 24/7.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mostly think she doesn't fight as hard as other people because she's not a combative person, and I suppose, when you're small, conceding a flattened out bottom position is hard to come back from. Honestly I'm no natural born killer myself and conceding a bottom position is something I'm bad about .

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

I mostly think she doesn't fight as hard as other people because she's not a combative person, and I suppose, when you're small, conceding a flattened out bottom position is hard to come back from. Honestly I'm no natural born killer myself and conceding a bottom position is something I'm bad about .

Agreed for sure! It's hard! Way harder than it seems! I spend a lot of time teaching people about this and not just going "oh, well that's the pass, I guess flat on my back is my life now time to start trying to remember my bottom side escapes." And often we don't realize when we're doing it! But when you listen to old-school guys talk about jiu jitsu they repeat the refrain of "the battle in the moment", and a big point in development is learning what that means and how to identify that in any given position.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I sort of arrived at a version of this when I started to think of tournaments as "they never just give you anything". In tournaments you fight, the whole way, the whole time, and it can lead to surprising, even sort of shocking reversals. More than once I've had a momentary internal reaction of "hey! You're not supposed to get out of that there! I had that!!".

I've sort of begun to try to cultivate the (safe) version of that sort of continued resistance in the gym. I don't mean refusing to tap to a sub, I mean things like "not agreeing" to a sweep or a pass.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Defenestrategy posted:

To be entirely unhelpful, I would suggest they video tape themselves rolling a bunch of times and figure out where the holes in their game seems to be and find moves to fill in the gap instead of learning a bunch of moves they may or may not even like to do.

I’ve been signed up to BJJMM for a while (you might have seen the podcast) but they have a premium service if you subscribe where you can send in videos and they review them and send feedback. The last video I sent in was a 5 minute roll and got 25 minutes of feedback that was amazingly detailed and specific to my needs. I would 100% recommend people try this out and it’s easily with the cost especially if you have really clear things you want feedback on.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Being strong sure doesn't hurt when you're attempting an arm drag, but I hit them on bigger guys and fall victim to them from smaller women all the time. If you find yourself in a literal or metaphorical arm-wrestling contest, it probably means that your timing was off for whatever reason and you need to try something else, but I wouldn't write them off entirely.

CommonShore posted:

Separate post to give just a list

-Scramble up
-Knee tap
-Long-range open guards
-Lots of little trips and things
-Foot locks to cause movement
-Front headlock positional moves
-Back takes
-Crucifix (might need strength to make work idk but it's really available and a relative strength multiplier: your deadlift is stronger than their fly)

And here's the #1, and it was something I had to work hard on - never ever ever conceding a full bottom position. Fight the poo poo out of that. Make them beat every frame, make them put in the effort to flatten you out. Never stop the oompahs.

This is pretty dang close to my list too. I'll add that you can and should finish footlocks for their own sake--they're a classic giant killer move for a reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bPOWS4MQMk

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Agreed for sure! It's hard! Way harder than it seems! I spend a lot of time teaching people about this and not just going "oh, well that's the pass, I guess flat on my back is my life now time to start trying to remember my bottom side escapes." And often we don't realize when we're doing it! But when you listen to old-school guys talk about jiu jitsu they repeat the refrain of "the battle in the moment", and a big point in development is learning what that means and how to identify that in any given position.

Teaching people to turn on their sides in almost every defensive position is a hard thing to nail down. Most of the time when you see people are mounted, they are laying flat on your back, but you dont have to be there, in fact a lot of escapes require that you get to your side in order to complete the escape. Same goes with half guard, and closed guard too! (think bump sweeps, getting to the back, etc etc).

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Teaching people to turn on their sides in almost every defensive position is a hard thing to nail down. Most of the time when you see people are mounted, they are laying flat on your back, but you dont have to be there, in fact a lot of escapes require that you get to your side in order to complete the escape. Same goes with half guard, and closed guard too! (think bump sweeps, getting to the back, etc etc).

I've been trying to teach this too, instead of a laundry list of techniques

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

starkebn posted:

I've been trying to teach this too, instead of a laundry list of techniques

Sometimes the conceptual things are the most complex to get people to understand and implement. Take for example lying on your back: I say to them, "Now show me a hip escape where your back/or either shoulder blade doesnt come off the ground". They cant do it and therefore understand that to create space ( in that sceanrio), you have to get your side (where there is, conincidentally, less friction).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

this actually connects to a couple concepts classes that I used to teach but forgot about because I didn't write them down. Gonna write them down as soon as I finish this post in fact.

In addition to "get on your side you monkey" that fits into this is "if here heavy, there light." Try this out sometime (I showed it to someone yesterday, in fact, which is why I'm thinking about it) - get someone to mount you and do the basic elbow/knee/hip escape. Then tell them to resist that, which they'll do by leaning into that knee and getting heavy on that side, at which point it's trivially easy to shrimp back and move the knee that's behind you. If they resist that one, then the elbow/hip/knee escape is back on the table. The same principle works really well for foot sweeps.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Nestharken posted:

Being strong sure doesn't hurt when you're attempting an arm drag, but I hit them on bigger guys and fall victim to them from smaller women all the time. If you find yourself in a literal or metaphorical arm-wrestling contest, it probably means that your timing was off for whatever reason and you need to try something else, but I wouldn't write them off entirely.

If you're stronger/bigger than your opponent, you armdrag by pulling them across your body.

If you're weaker/smaller than your opponent, you armdrag by pulling your body beside theirs.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Count Roland posted:

If you're stronger/bigger than your opponent, you armdrag by pulling them across your body.

If you're weaker/smaller than your opponent, you armdrag by pulling your body beside theirs.

I believe a good armdrag off the top is always in the form of the second form where you're gripping their arm to pin them in place and then you basically just walk around them. Even with a strength advantage it is really, really hard to drag people bodily without them giving you forward momentum in the first place.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
When I imagine myself arm dragging someone from bottom guard, I imagine myself 1) breaking their grip off my hips 2) holding onto their wrist or sleeve. I just hesitated to suggest it because both of those steps require grip fighting. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I thought.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I actually showed her that giggle sweep as an example of an primarily lower body move she could try.

Do y'all have any recommendations for an essential list of relatively simple moves for smaller people?

Going back to this OP, I think you’re on to something focusing on the lower body (or entire body) against an opponent or a part of the opponents body and not just arms.

I’m trying to think of examples besides the triangle where you are primarily using your legs and the arms are there more to support than playing the main roll. Omoplata applies too, as does something like finishing a kimura from side control where you lock the grip but then use your whole core to separate the arm from their body to finish (as opposed to just trying to rip their one arm with your two). What other examples can you guys think of?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lasso and spider guards are basically just a lower body workout that woll also rip the skin off your fingers.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There was the earlier example of the crucifix.

There's those versions of the Americana and Kimura that you do with your legs from scarf hold.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I'm dumb and out of practice, but is the s mount viable as a control position for a smaller person who doesn't want to maintain body contact necessary in traditional Mount? It is a lot more upright than trad mount.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not to be all "MY GIRLFRIEND!!" but an actual, real problem she has is she doesn't like laying down in top mount because she has a large bust, so her mount is always upright and vulnerable to bridging.

I play a pretty upright mount. When you’re trying to get from low mount to high mount, you can pinch your knees inwards and elevate your hips a teeny tiny bit off your opponent, and it makes it hard for them to effectively bridge you off. Then if you’ve got your hands on their head or shoulders or whatever (so that you have something to push off, so you can climb) you bait them into bridging, the bridge sucks because you’re not quite connected, and you use that opportunity to slide your knees up really high, get under those armpits, turn the corner and armbar from s-mount. If you ever feel like you’re getting too high and they might slip out the bottom, you pick their head up off the mat and it shuts that down.

I’m on the smaller side at my gym, my training partners are mostly bigger. I am a 78kg man and sadly I do not have huge tits

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
Trip report:

ADCC on Saturday. I had to wake up before 6:00 to gather everyone for my ride and to start the 2 hour drive to other city. This time we just had to have a blizzard in the morning and my car was buried under snow and due to weather conditions, this 2 hour drive was a 3 hour drive. Luckily we started early and made it to the venue on time. All four of got registered and made the weight. Also my friend who tried some quick fasting and lost several kilos in few days, made it to 87,9kgs. He didn’t eat or drink before the comp and looked just like a man who doesn’t eat or drink.

The venue itself was too small for this event. We had two working toilets for competitors and us nervously making GBS threads before competition led to long lines. I was able to do my nervous making GBS threads ritual just before the start.
I met my opponent just before the start and we talked. He was a 44 year veteran competitor and a black belt. I knew from the start that I would have no change in wrestling this able-bodied person to the ground, so I decided to sit my rear end on the ground for my own safety and dive for the leg lock. If that wouldn’t work, I would probably just lose, but I would make it safely to the bronze match. I lost, match in Youtube: https://youtu.be/nY5gidxjqOA

The bronze match was against my friend from a same team. He had just made an insane weight cut and I knew he was tired. I was nervous as I knew he is bigger and better wrestler and I didn’t want to get under him. I just wanted him on the ground somehow since I knew his game, knew I could pass guard and get a mount. The standing was horrible and even referee pointed that we are on the match to do something besides slapping. That pissed me off and made me even more nervous. Somehow I got my friend on the ground, passed guard, took sidecontrol and mount. For some reason I didn’t get any points and in my nervous state shouted at the referee. I got a warning for running my mouth, but points came later. I knew my friend is almost impossible to submit, and I had good positions in mount and back but I was unable to finish, so I decided to wait for points. I won 5-0. My teammates did not take a video of the match despite me specifically requesting it, so thank guys.

The day was good and fun. It was also my birthday. I turned 46 and got bronze as a present. Our team succeeded as well and we took home three gold medals and three bronzes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's awesome! Congratulations!

If they didn't record, did your coach at least catch the match?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Somebody might have caught it. I think its pretty standard now for most organizations to record matches.

edit: SJJIF and IBJJF record all matches. All IBJJF matches can be viewed on Flo. You can even watch me get my rear end kicked in a few of them!

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 22, 2023

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I got wrecked at my local Grappling industries against a buddy of mine. I also lost to a blue belt in the absolute (I outweighed him 50lbs easy).FML

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I was in open mat mode. I couldn't switch gears into smash mode. Any tips? Roll harder in the gym? I have been rolling SUPER light all month cuz I hurt my foot.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

heeebrew posted:

I was in open mat mode. I couldn't switch gears into smash mode. Any tips? Roll harder in the gym? I have been rolling SUPER light all month cuz I hurt my foot.

Just roll how you feel like rolling and don't sweat a loss. But if you want to win a competition match you need to turn up for it, I guess getting someone to roll with some heat in your gym is a good way to start getting used to it.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I roll like a demon when I’m hangry so just cut your caloric intake to like 1500 calories per day a few days before the next comp and I guarantee youll be really pissed off and unleash the smesh

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

So maybe a dumb question here but has anybody had an issue with choking sounds freaking them out a bit? If so, how'd you get past it?

This all stems from my first tournament, I think. I had this dude in an arm triangle and he was making some awful gurgling noises before he tapped while his girlfriend was on the sidelines screaming for him to get up. That felt like a pretty hosed up situation and ever since then when someone starts to gag or whatever when I set a choke in, I panic and kinda back off the choke or I just let go of them. Then I get real passive the rest of the round/open mat/class.

I don't want to hurt anyone in practice, obviously. The tournaments are different and I can deal with it there but we have a couple folks in the gyms here that just don't want to tap and have come real close to nap time on a week night. It happened twice with one dude tonight. Had him in a guillotine and he made this awful noise and started to go a bit limp on me so I turned him loose and asked if he was alright. He said he was fine, he just wanted to try to wrestle out of it :wtc:. The next time we rolled, I put a collar choke on him and he pulled the same poo poo except this time I put it on real slow and the sound just freaked me out so I turned him loose again and he was like "why'd you stop? you had me!" :froggonk:.

After those rolls, I didn't want to choke or even try to sub anybody for the rest of the night. I just kind of played defense the rest of the evening. It really kinda messed with me. I'm not trying to wreck anybody in practice.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

butros posted:

I roll like a demon when I’m hangry so just cut your caloric intake to like 1500 calories per day a few days before the next comp and I guarantee youll be really pissed off and unleash the smesh

double post because also this. my last tournament i cut weight and was starving so i went out to collect heads.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

knuthgrush posted:

Had him in a guillotine and he made this awful noise and started to go a bit limp on me so I turned him loose and asked if he was alright. He said he was fine, he just wanted to try to wrestle out of it

Eh, believe people when they say this imo

I tend to make choking noises too but I'm fine and tap when i need to

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If they're not new, yeah, you can keep going. I make a lot of little coughs and gurgles if I'm being choked. But OTOH I'm also plenty willing to stop and check on someone if I hear something weird, and I'm not offended if someone stops when I make a weird noise, because they're just being careful and I did just go "glurgh" as they tightened their choke. We can just start again, nbd.

If they're new I definitely stop and check and am also a lot more skeptical if they say they're fine.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I tend to play light with chokes because I generally only use three chokes, The Fat Man Choke, Ten Finger Guilotine, and the shin behind the neck bow and arrow all of which feel awful if you slam them on tight, and generally, because of this I think no one tries to fight out.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

knuthgrush posted:

So maybe a dumb question here but has anybody had an issue with choking sounds freaking them out a bit? If so, how'd you get past it?

This all stems from my first tournament, I think. I had this dude in an arm triangle and he was making some awful gurgling noises before he tapped while his girlfriend was on the sidelines screaming for him to get up. That felt like a pretty hosed up situation and ever since then when someone starts to gag or whatever when I set a choke in, I panic and kinda back off the choke or I just let go of them. Then I get real passive the rest of the round/open mat/class.

I don't want to hurt anyone in practice, obviously. The tournaments are different and I can deal with it there but we have a couple folks in the gyms here that just don't want to tap and have come real close to nap time on a week night. It happened twice with one dude tonight. Had him in a guillotine and he made this awful noise and started to go a bit limp on me so I turned him loose and asked if he was alright. He said he was fine, he just wanted to try to wrestle out of it :wtc:. The next time we rolled, I put a collar choke on him and he pulled the same poo poo except this time I put it on real slow and the sound just freaked me out so I turned him loose again and he was like "why'd you stop? you had me!" :froggonk:.

After those rolls, I didn't want to choke or even try to sub anybody for the rest of the night. I just kind of played defense the rest of the evening. It really kinda messed with me. I'm not trying to wreck anybody in practice.

Time for exposure therapy. Next time your drilling chokes, get your partners to make the most horrible sounds possible. When you realize they aren't dead (or that their significant other isn't going try to will them back to life like it's loving payday 2 or something), hopefully your fear of injuring someone will be reduced.

Or you'll be a nervous wreck, I dunno. Maybe therapy as well?

At the end of the day, you have to allow your opponents the Agency of being in a combat sport. They understand the risks and you know your not there to injure someone on purpose. If they want to "try and fight through the choke" when you have it on good, that's on them.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

The gurgling noise tells you that they aren't out yet and you should keep applying the choke. When the gurgling turns to snoring or just stops completely and they go limp that's maybe when you should check.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's awesome! Congratulations!

If they didn't record, did your coach at least catch the match?

Nope. I suppose nobody saw the match. On their defense, I must mention that there were three mats and our team's matches just happened to happen at the same time. During my match, my teammate was on the other mat fighting for gold. His match started earlier, so everyone was looking at that and had their backs turned on us. The noticed our last seconds and took couple of pictures as my hand was raised.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Somebody might have caught it. I think its pretty standard now for most organizations to record matches.

Local ADCC mentioned before the tournament that they don't have resources for streaming or recording. They asked for volunteers for future, but this time there were no cameras.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi, I'm in the process of moving across the globe so I may not have time to post the Grapplehut Huddle on March 1st so it's just easier for me to post it today.

Grapplehut Huddle, March 2023

MARCH'S BIG GRAPPLING EVENTS

Mar 3 - IBJJF x FloGrappling Grand Prix (on FloGrappling)

Mar 11 - Polaris 23: 66kg Women’s Grand Prix (on UFC Fight Pass)

Mar 25 - Medusa 4: Flyweights (on UFC Fight Pass )

Mar 26 - Combat Jiu Jitsu Worlds: Welterweights (on UFC Fight Pass)

THE NEWS

With last month’s news that the ADCC are partnering with the live streaming services of UFC Fight Pass, there have been a few new announcements and updates. Mo Jassim, who is tasked with organizing the 2024 ADCC World Championship, announced through his Instagram, and alter through the ADCC_Official Instagram, several important things are going to change for ADCC over the next two years.

First, the 2024 ADCC World Championship is aiming to be held in a stadium and that discussions have already begun on this. The 2022 ADCC World Championship was held at the Thomas & Mack Center on the University of Nevada, Las Vegas campus in Las Vegas, Nevada and was the largest arena the event was held in. In addition to this, there was also an increase in the production of the event to make it more akin to watching another combat sports event such as a MMA, boxing, or pro-wrestling show with fighter walkouts, large entrance stage, professional announcers, etc. ADCC plan to film and record a lot of footage over the next two years that will be “showing every step necessary to put on the sickest grappling show ever.”

It was also revealed that across all the ADCC Opens, which are more similar to a regional tournament just using ADCC rules, points based off your standings will be tracked. While this wasn’t directly stated why or how it will be done, it is likely to then be used to justify invitees to the ADCC Trials which are the tournaments that help determine about half the competitive pool for the World Championship.

In addition, Jassim also stated that the plan is to sell tickets to the 2024 ADCC World Championship beginning on Black Friday, but again no specifics were given at the time.

Also this month was news that the online streaming service FloSports were named in a class action lawsuit. FloSports, who own and operate subgroups covering sports via FloWrestling, FloGrappling, FloMMA, etc. are being sued for allegedly participating in unlawful billing practices.

The suit, which was first filed in November 2022 in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York, is hoping to seek damages on behalf of customers who were charged for FloSports subscriptions nationwide using these alleged unlawful methods. The full complaint can be found here via ClassAction.org.

The suit alleges that the streaming platform unlawfully misled customers to believe they were being signed up for a monthly subscription, but to only then charge the customer for a year subscription. The suit also claims that FloSports unilaterally charged customers with renewals without the customer’s consent which is in violation of both federal and New York state laws. According to the suit, “over 900” complaints were filed against FloSports on the Better Business Bureau’s website alleging that the company engaged in deceptive billing practices and failure to respond to inquiries by customers about said billing practices.

This suit is still in the early stages of the legal process and will likely take several years to complete fully. At present, the court must certify the class of consumers that have been damaged by FloSports’ actions before the case can continue and move forward.

While I personally am not part of this suit, I can confirm that for the 2019 ADCC I caught this…method and immediately called FloSports’ customer support and resolved that. Then, if you may recall, for the 2022 ADCC I pointed out that the monthly option wasn’t available via FloGrappling’s website but you could sign up via FloRugby or some other platform under FloSports and pay for just a month’s subscription. It is hard to find any sympathy for FloSports being on the receiving end of this lawsuit given the litany of complaints against the company over the years, which doesn’t include these billing practices that have caught them in hot water.

Back on August 7th, 2022 the jiu jitsu community shockingly lost one of the notable figures within the competition scene with the murder of Leandro Lo. Henrqiue Otavio Oliveira Velozo, a military police officer, shot Lo following an altercation in Sao Paulo at a night club.

It was announced that the initial hearing into the murder trial, for which Velozo is facing, will take place on March 24th, 2023 following a delay in the proceedings. The delay was made by the defense claiming there was an “incompatability of dates.” The news of this delay was announced, in Portuguese, by the official Instagram account of Instituto Leandro Lo, a group aiming to aid those in need on and off the mat.

TECHNIQUE: Tozi Pass

Last month we looked at the body lock pass, a pass that I personally have been using to better be able to get past more limber opponents because I am not a fast/agile guard passer. In the past few weeks I was reintroduced to the Tozi pass, also called the Sao Paulo pass, and have opted to use it in my very small bag of tricks. Unlike the body lock pass where you want to be outside of your opponent’s guard, the Tozi pass begins when you’re in a full guard position.

Here is a quick clip of someone using the Tozi pass in a competition setting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0BcoOQem3Q

So what is the Tozi pass? The Tozi pass is a method of breaking from the opponents closed guard and securing, at minimum, a top side half-guard position.

Most people learn early on the “dig the elbows into the uke’s inner thigh to break open the guard” method of guard passing. The Tozi pass is similar in that the end goal is to break open the closed guard legs but rather than applying pressure to the uke’s thighs, you’re using your body (specifically your hips) to wedge them open. So, how does it work?

Rather than posturing up to then attack the guard, in the Tozi pass you find yourself leaning down almost to the point you’re face-to-chest with the uke. In some scenarios this is because the uke has an overhook on on of your arms which is forcing you down. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. As from this position, with good shoulder placement, you can apply pressure to the uke’s midsection making it almost impossible for them to be able to sit up and attack.

The way the should needs to be placed is so that the tip of your shoulder, where the clavicle meets the humerus, is at a pointed angle pressing the midsection area just around the belly button up into the upper body of the uke. In essence, imagine you’re driving your uke’s intestines up towards their heart underneath their rib cage. At least that’s how it feels and was described to me by a coach.

With your shoulder creating that pressure, the hand on the same side as that shoulder should be palm to the floor and is meant to provide balance so you don’t get swept to that side. You, ideally, don’t want it too far out as that can lead to getting caught in an inverted armbar or possibly, if your shoulder pressure is too weak, a kimura. There’s even a variant of grabbing the uke’s lapel to help keep the arm in as seen in this match by Roberto “Cyborg” Abreu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koxSZXmHku8

With your other hand, the one that is not applying the shoulder pressure, you want to be controlling the uke’s hand on the same side. So for example if you’re applying pressure with your right shoulder, your left hand is meant to be pinning or preventing the uke’s right hand (from your view it’d be on the left) from doing anything to prevent your movement.

At this point with the pressure applied you can then focus on your knee/leg placement. The ideal situation, as described to me, is to not do a quick switching of the legs as your not creating enough pressure on the uke’s guard. Instead think of it more as a back step. So, if we’re applying pressure with your right shoulder, then you will be back stepping over your right leg. The placement of your right knee needs to not be up tight and close to the uke’s butt like you would have it in say the body lock. Instead you want a bit of distance from their butt. The specific distance is hard to gauge but I’ve found about 6 inches is enough space but that’s not guaranteed to work for everyone.

From here, your left leg (again because we’re stepping back over your right leg) should be a bit straightened out towards the back. Almost as if you’re in a pigeon pose from yoga. With your left hand you’ll then be grabbing the uke’s right leg (your left side) and making sure to pin your left elbow to your body. Why? To prevent the uke’s left leg (your right side) from hooking your bicep and catching you in a really crummy position to be caught in that basically ends up in you being in a semi-full nelson lock with the uke’s legs applying pressure.

With the uke’s leg grabbed, you then apply pressure down towards your feet and not the mat. With that pressure they will start to loose their full guard hooks and then simply back stepping over your right leg will open the guard. If your shoulder pressure is strong enough, they won’t be able to sweep you from this position as the uke won’t be able to sit up to create the leverage.

At this stage you can step over the uke’s leg you have grabbed and you are now in a top half-guard position. For a visual breakdown here is Roberto Tozi demonstrating it a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDJgxz6LYVw

The Tozi pass can also be utilized in no-gi using pretty much all the same mechanics aside from grabbing the pants leg. Instead you’re just grabbing the ankle area of the uke as demonstrated by Lachlan Giles here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJr_vyZ8bo

So what are the pros and cons of the Tozi pass?

Pros

- The pressure can be quite strong and severely limits the uke’s movement options.

- It is relatively a safer guard pass option than most full guard passes (in my personal experience).

Cons

- At first can be difficult to figure out the exact right placement of the shoulder for the pressure and the lack of pressure almost ruins the pass mechanics.

- Due to a lack of good shoulder pressure, your opponent can easily sweep you or stifle your own movement.

HISTORY TIDBITS

For me, one of the best things I do to pass my time is to find any weird, obscure, or random trivia knowledge and squirrel it away in my brain for whenever I can use it to seem like I’m a lot smarter than I actually am. Today is no different as I came across the story of a man who participated in two sports I actively enjoy; jiu jitsu/judo and sumo.

The man’s name is Soshihiro Satake, though he was sometimes called Nobushiro Satake. If you’re familiar with the history of judo and jiu jitsu, you may recognize one of the men in the photo above. To the far right is Mitsuyo Maeda, the man who is credited with supposedly teaching the Gracie family in Brazil the art of judo which would then be used and developed into Gracie Jiu Jitsu or more commonly known as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu today. You may have heard of him from various stories on the origin of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Soshihiro Satake, who is the second from the far left, was a former amateur level sumo wrestler who had a decent degree of success. However, in the late 1890s Satake would go on to join the Kodokan and begin the process of learning judo. Specifically, Satake and Maeda would both learn from Sakujiro Yokoyama who was one of Jigoro Kano’s (the man credited with the founding of modern judo) first students.

In 1903, Kano’s students began traveling throughout the world as part of Japan’s attempt to develop relations with other nations. As a result these students would also be able to spread judo as well as part of a happy coincidence. For example, Yoshitsugu Yamashita who was one of Kano’s earliest students found himself in the United States and would eventually see himself teaching then United States President Theodore Roosevelt in private judo lessons and be given a teaching position at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland to teach naval officers judo as well.

It was then determined that Satake and Maeda would also travel to the United States, as well as the other nations within the Americas, to showcase judo. At this time both Satake and Maeda would participate in open demonstrations that were less of an actual match and more of a friendly rolling session for anyone to watch. Maeda and Satake were recorded as appearing in England in 1907, Mexico in 1909, and then Cuba and other Central & South American countries between 1911 to 1913 to demonstrate judo to the locals.

Satake would then find himself in Sao Paulo, Brazil in 1914 along with his friend and partner Maeda. Within a year they would then move on to Rio de Janeiro, for much of the same purpose. However, in Brazil the locals cared less for demonstration matches and wanted to see actual fights. As a result the duo would up the showmanship of their demonstrations claiming Maeda to be the “World Jiu-Jitsu Champion” and that Satake was the “Jiu Jitsu Champion of New York” and then hold their events with a new twist. Spectators would be paid if they could either beat or simply survive 15 minutes with Maeda. Satake and other Japanese judokas would serve as an under card of sorts doing more controlled exhibition matches while Maeda would be pitted into an actual fight to drum up interest in the show.

Over the next few years Maeda & Satake’s troupe of judoka would travel throughout Brazil doing their shows before Maeda & Satake would eventually split up in 1916. This was the first time since leaving their home 12 years prior the two would be separated. Maeda would go on to travel to Europe while Satake would continue to showcase judo in Brazil. Later in 1916, Satake would go on to establish a judo/jiu jitsu school as part of the Rio Negro Athletic Club. Which is believed to be the first judo/jiu jitsu academy in Brazil though there is a bit of debate whether or not Mario Aleixo’s school, founded in 1913, is considered legitimate as Aleixo was not a Kodokan black belt.

Satake would stay in Brazil for another five years, which coincides with Maeda’s return to the country in 1917. Later the two would join up again and travel to New York in 1921 as part of another tour of judo demonstrations.

Satake’s later life is not so much well known though it is theorized he returned to Brazil and lived there until his later days. Several elder Brazilian judokas and jiujiteiros claim that they were taught by Satake in the late 1930s and Satake’s death is claimed to be in 1942. Though these accounts are hard to verify as accurate.

To this day, the Rio Negro Athletic Club still exists as well as Satake’s grappling program that he established there. It is believed to be the only continuously operating program of its kind that began under the “Maeda era” of judo/jiujitsu. One of the supposed students of Satake was Vinicius Ruas Ferreira da Silva, who would go on to teach his nephew Marco Ruas. The same Marco Ruas who would go on to win the Ultimate Fighting Championship VII tournament as a matter of fact.

Thanks to the politics that deeply attempt to intertwine the Gracie family’s creation of Gracie, or Brazilian, Jiu Jitsu it seems like the greater contributions to the establishment and growth of both judo and jiu jitsu in Brazil by Satake, as well as other Japanese judokas, have been mostly forgotten or swept aside. Using Maeda as the origin for their story, the Gracie’s essentially erased one of Maeda’s oldest and closest friends and one who was considered on par with Maeda both as a grappler and as a teacher.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pyle posted:

Nope. I suppose nobody saw the match. On their defense, I must mention that there were three mats and our team's matches just happened to happen at the same time. During my match, my teammate was on the other mat fighting for gold. His match started earlier, so everyone was looking at that and had their backs turned on us. The noticed our last seconds and took couple of pictures as my hand was raised.

On the bright side, now you can tell everyone you either won with, or were DQ'd for, the flying butt plier.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

butros posted:

The gurgling noise tells you that they aren't out yet and you should keep applying the choke. When the gurgling turns to snoring or just stops completely and they go limp that's maybe when you should check.

Yeah this. I gurgled today and was totally fine.

Remember this is a sport about consent. People are entirely (well, mostly) capable of deciding for themselves when they've had enough. Respect their choices.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Being not aggressive enough in a competition is a problem for me. I basically just move towards my opponents like Im Jason stalking my prey and then only react and set up moves when they stand there like victims (which suprisingly happens a lot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

is the lawsuit the big news that you hinted at?