Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sab669 posted:

Whats your Spec look like?

Music feels insanely good on my high CHA guy. Like a full party of 4, now that I've completed the Merchant's Guild, is enough to slaughter most encounters. If I really want to partcipate in some glorious overkill I also have an ability that summons 2 clones of each Companion, so myself included that's 13 things running at a boss monster or group of monsters I've aggrod.

I wish I understood better how the tree works when I created the character, I probably would've allocated my stats differently. I wasted a few points in Archery before I realized there's really no reason to stop playing Music in order to attack with regular weapons.

As someone who bought this game but hasn't really played it yet, and who loves pet classes in things, I would love to hear you lay out an optimal spec on this now that you know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sab669 posted:

Whats your Spec look like?

Music feels insanely good on my high CHA guy. Like a full party of 4, now that I've completed the Merchant's Guild, is enough to slaughter most encounters. If I really want to partcipate in some glorious overkill I also have an ability that summons 2 clones of each Companion, so myself included that's 13 things running at a boss monster or group of monsters I've aggrod.

I wish I understood better how the tree works when I created the character, I probably would've allocated my stats differently. I wasted a few points in Archery before I realized there's really no reason to stop playing Music in order to attack with regular weapons.

3 int 3 cha 1 str 1 agi iirc on that guy, focusing mostly on dark magic, with a dip into arcane for overload and elemental for a way to fight back when the skeletons inevitably blow up in one shot. I have the speech buff skill too but that's it. The only actual companion I've found though is the dog. I guess it's just spread too thin but an archer basically always one shots me

Meanwhile the 4 str 3 agi axeman is just assblasting everyone lol

Also lmao that basically every quest's outcome is to be a huge rear end in a top hat to someone

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Using New Game Plus in Chrono Trigger to get a full set of Prism gear for everyone is metaprogression

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Paradoxish posted:

Metaprogression kind of serves the same purpose as number-go-up design in non-roguelike games, though. I'm not gonna be all edgy and say they're the same thing, but the design characteristics are really close.
I wouldn't say it serves the exact same purpose because metaprogression can't effectively be balanced around. In a linear RPG there's a power curve that the player follows, and one that the game follows, and they are designed to be correlated. Sure, the player can get ahead of the game and outlevel their current content, but they're still moving along that same progression curve, just at a different rate. That's not the same as roguelites where there's a game progression curve, a player progression curve, and also the wildcard that is the metaprogression curve. There's no way to really balance around where the player is on that one because it's uncorrelated with the other two. The only way to "balance" metaprogression would be to have the initial state put the player at a massive disadvantage, essentially guaranteed to fail any run, and having each run unlock more and more stuff to make the win probability go up with time until it enters the realm of doable. And let me tell you, I hate that kind of progression.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Volte posted:

I wouldn't say it serves the exact same purpose because metaprogression can't effectively be balanced around.

I'd disagree here, I think you can in principle make games that have, for example, unlocks that layer on more complex systems and different playstyles that don't intrinsically increase the win probability.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ulio posted:

Early on it's normal to start over a bit until you get used to a specific build. You also shouldn't pick up everything, that's one habit every other game instills in you. There is a fine balance in terms of decision making are the negatives of a parasite worth the buffs

I wasn't picking up everything just for funsies, I was evaluating which was good or not.

There was one specific instance that soured me, where there's a tower in the first biome (not sure about later biomes, but probably) that heals all the enemies in the area. It already happened it was about mid level and I at first wasn't sure what it was, because all I saw was green bars and once I moved around the level I noticed the tower, which was obscured by the rest of the level.

It also doesn't really help you that usually when this happens, it's in a large open area you can't easily avoid things while you've got tons of fast moving enemies. Conversely, in an area that would have a lot of cover, it would have potentially been annoying to platform around the map while trying to find the entry that would allow you access to the obelisk. Imagine further if you had to get the grapple to really reach this obelisk (which ignores walls for its buff), and you hadn't yet got the grapple, and you'd have to instead just bolt for an exit, or die and start over.

For me, someone who's been gaming all my life, I understood what the game was trying to tell me, because I've seen the mechanic before, but it got me thinking, it was only because I did, I knew what to do. The game tells you, unhelpfully, after you blow up the obelisk, buried in an encyclopedia, but that doesn't help you in the moment. If this was one of someone's first games, they wouldn't have understood that mechanic. There would have been no kill cam, no PC character making a comment of "drat, I shoulda got that tower" so you likely would have wasted half the map or 30+ minutes of a run, to die to something you don't know how to resolve until later on. To me that's not good game design, that's stupid. I'm not saying they have to go overboard like on some recent games like God of War or Death Stranding, where they beat you over the head, but even like a hint in these situations is appreciated. What good is 30+ years of collective game design if you intentionally go back to the start, ignoring any and all quality of life improvements others have cooked up simply because of some sort of sense of implied difficulty? The best fail states are when you understand implicitly what you did was wrong, rather than having to read between the lines.

It makes me now think how would Valve approach a roguelike, since their playtesting of previous games has been known to be so fine tuned (though extremely linear) that anything that they found out was confusing or unfun for players is ripped out and gutted and redone. It would be interesting, I think, to see their take on it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Volte posted:

I wouldn't say it serves the exact same purpose because metaprogression can't effectively be balanced around. In a linear RPG there's a power curve that the player follows, and one that the game follows, and they are designed to be correlated. Sure, the player can get ahead of the game and outlevel their current content, but they're still moving along that same progression curve, just at a different rate. That's not the same as roguelites where there's a game progression curve, a player progression curve, and also the wildcard that is the metaprogression curve. There's no way to really balance around where the player is on that one because it's uncorrelated with the other two. The only way to "balance" metaprogression would be to have the initial state put the player at a massive disadvantage, essentially guaranteed to fail any run, and having each run unlock more and more stuff to make the win probability go up with time until it enters the realm of doable. And let me tell you, I hate that kind of progression.

I don't know, I kind of disagree. There are tons of standard RPGs where you can quickly break the progression curve just by spending a little too much time exploring or by hitting a few extra side quests. It's not easy to actually balance around that in any game that even pretends to be open world or sandboxy, which is why there are all kinds of hacky dynamic leveling systems out there. The roguelites that use metaprogression as a way to boost player power (as opposed to play style variety) definitely seem to balance themselves around the idea that the player is going to keep getting beefier thanks to more item unlocks or whatever.

Old-school JRPGs don't suffer from it nearly as much because grinding means doing intentionally dumb poo poo like running around to trigger a ton of fights, but open-world games and sandbox RPGs clearly have the same issue of dealing with multiple simultaneous progression curves.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

As someone who bought this game but hasn't really played it yet, and who loves pet classes in things, I would love to hear you lay out an optimal spec on this now that you know what you're doing.

For your base stats, I would recommend:

4 CHA (Max Companions)
2 INT (Required for Spell Casting /
0 STR
1 AGI (Required for Sprinting 🙄)

My current guy is 4 CHA, 1 STR, 2 AGI - I was thinking I'd play music to buff my allies and then sit in the back with Leather Armor and a Bow and be like a Robinhood & his Merry Men kinda playstyle, but yea the Music tree is much more standalone and compartamentalized than most of the other trees in the game. The main reason I recommend picking up INT instead of STR/AGI is because it's required for the Crafting trees, and it'd be convenient to be able to Craft equipment for your Companions rather than hoping for drops / shopping.

So at level 22 I am specced like this:

1 Point wasted in Archery, 1 point wasted in Cooking because my buddies do all the Tanking for me, and enough points in Speech to give a long-duration HP & Armor buff as well as an ability that summons your Companions to you. All in on Music:

The way it works is the left tree's 3 abilities are more like a Toggle-ability. Either you're playing 1 of those 3 Serenades, or not you're not.

While playing a Serenade, you gain that ability's stacking buff, and you also generate stacks of "Chords" which are used by the middle tree. The middle tree focuses on consuming your Chord stacks to either deal damage or summons clones of your Companions. Then the right most tree is just a bunch of passive buff duration / damage increasing goodies.

So I mean the gameplay typically looks like either you're running from region to region and you're channeling the Serenade that gives Move speed & Jump Speed, or you're in Combat and you're channeling the Serenade that gives huge Attack Damage bonuses. The third Serenade just gives a basic HOT and seems to be the only ability that lasts as long as the tooltip tells you it will, so you don't really play that one often other than to initially build up the stacks.

In the starting village you can get a Dog companion as well as a Companion in the Inn, and very quickly you'll go down to the Monastery and a Paladin guy can join you, fully kitting you out with 3 Companions which is the max by default. Also press N to open up the Guild menu and Join the Merchants. Completing that easy enough quest chain gives you items that allow you to have a 4th Companion.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:jfc:

I guess Cyanide Studios keeps doing Cyanide Studios.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Also lmao that basically every quest's outcome is to be a huge rear end in a top hat to someone

Yeah, so far that's been my experience as well. There's always at least one option for quests where you're being a dick and/or extorting someone for money. It's kinda lazy that the good option is also usually just to give someone money. I wish there'd be more "okay, I'm willing to help you" and you'd actually have to do something.

I actually like that quests generally have different outcomes, but also agree with that one YT review that said that Gedonia tries to subvert your expectations so often that subversion becomes expected in a way.

For example, I was doing a quest in Ertoron where I was tasked to deal with a plague in the sewers. It turns out that there's some kind of rat queen living down there with some humans too, which was pretty interesting - but when I returned to the quest giver (whose family was living with the rat queen now, btw, on grounds of him being a douche too) I didn't have any necessary points for the skill checks and only remaining option was to go You bad! Now you die! which ended the quest. I guess the plague is still around? The entrance to the sewers also disappears and no one cares if you axe down a guardsman in the middle of the day on the market square. Maybe they all knew he was a douche.

Granted, my dark knight does not have any skills on charisma, but still felt kinda lackluster to simply end it there. (3 STR, 3 INT, 1 AGI)

I've enjoyed my playthrough a lot, got some nice gear from finishing the arena (although I sorely need a new 2-hander to replace my green ravaging axe). There's a weird dynamic between the PC, who is constantly optimistic and cheerful, and the main NPC Wyanna, who is constantly complaining and making sarcastic remarks about everything. Her voice acting is pretty horrendous but as a duo, I've really liked their adventures so far.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

(Replying separately as the other post was already quite long :v:)

RBA Starblade posted:

3 int 3 cha 1 str 1 agi iirc on that guy, focusing mostly on dark magic, with a dip into arcane for overload and elemental for a way to fight back when the skeletons inevitably blow up in one shot. I have the speech buff skill too but that's it. The only actual companion I've found though is the dog. I guess it's just spread too thin but an archer basically always one shots me

Meanwhile the 4 str 3 agi axeman is just assblasting everyone lol

The 1 STR sounds kinda wasted?
Ice Element seems good for an aggro-generating Skeleton

There's also a guy in that Inn in the starting town you can pay to join you - there's a list on fandom of who you can find and where. Not sure that it's a complete list.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also you can buy a respec potion from Ertoron and I think you can make it yourself too with some points in Alchemy, but you can totally get rid of those wasted points.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/blood-bowl-3-is-a-hot-mess-and-not-just-because-of-its-game-breaking-bugs/

quote:

The teams themselves have their own presentation issues. By default, all players of the same type look identical—so, for example, your six elf linemen are all exactly the same, down to their faces and hairstyles. There are no customisation options at all, other than changing your whole team's uniform colours and emblem. For a game based on a tabletop game that's so much about making your models your own, it's disappointing, but it gets actively insidious when you discover the shop.

In this menu, what should be your basic customisation options are sold as individual microtransactions—here a new headpiece, there an individual left glove, and so on. All of them are only applicable to one player type. The review build suspiciously does not reveal what any of these items cost, and it hasn't allowed me to try out buying any of them—but even if they're inexpensive, it's a galling approach. Similarly concerning is the absence of many iconic teams from the pretty small roster, surely to be sold as DLC down the line.

incredible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't realize Blood Bowl was a GW property but that makes total sense.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dang I hadn't ever played a blood bowl before but was kinda interested in maybe giving this one a shot. Are the older ones worth playing still? Are they fun against AI or is it mostly for playing online with other people?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How are they managing to make a worse game with every new iteration?

explosivo posted:

Dang I hadn't ever played a blood bowl before but was kinda interested in maybe giving this one a shot. Are the older ones worth playing still? Are they fun against AI or is it mostly for playing online with other people?

I played the first game a bunch against the AI, it was pretty fun.
Second game was pretty alright too.

They're mostly the same. Exactly same rules just different graphics and different quirks.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

wonton preorders

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jack Trades posted:

2023 seems like it's been a rough year for AA level studios

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Sons of the Forest has been out for a couple hours and is about to triple the (already significant) concurrent peak of The Forest. No surprise I suppose but this’ll be one of the top, idk, 6-8 launches of the year?

Anyone trying it out?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jack Trades posted:

There was an interview with cyanide on... eurogamer? Kotaku? A week or two ago, and it seemed clear that Games Workshop was taking a, uhh, more 'active' role in design decisions. Would be shocked if godawful monetization wasnt implemented by their diktat

It was a bit sad, the dev was struggling even to articulate why there needed to be a third bloodbowl

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

TeaJay posted:

For example, I was doing a quest in Ertoron where I was tasked to deal with a plague in the sewers. It turns out that there's some kind of rat queen living down there with some humans too, which was pretty interesting - but when I returned to the quest giver (whose family was living with the rat queen now, btw, on grounds of him being a douche too) I didn't have any necessary points for the skill checks and only remaining option was to go You bad! Now you die! which ended the quest. I guess the plague is still around? The entrance to the sewers also disappears and no one cares if you axe down a guardsman in the middle of the day on the market square. Maybe they all knew he was a douche.

I've enjoyed my playthrough a lot, got some nice gear from finishing the arena (although I sorely need a new 2-hander to replace my green ravaging axe). There's a weird dynamic between the PC, who is constantly optimistic and cheerful, and the main NPC Wyanna, who is constantly complaining and making sarcastic remarks about everything. Her voice acting is pretty horrendous but as a duo, I've really liked their adventures so far.

I dunno, I've conveniently had the stats and skills to generally be a chaotic good hero sort in my run. Although, Gedonia just has a thing for the sorta morally grey. My result for your example luring the guard captain down to the sewers to be eaten by the rat queen as a sacrifice. He had it coming, I guess? It's probably the least heroic thing I've done though? You can sorta do something about the plague, but you gotta go find this old guy afflicted with it and have high magic or alchemy skills.

The voice acting on the whole is charmingly bad- it's "hired my friends to be VAs" level voice acting. I did the arena way lower level than I should've been, but such is the power of a good boy and a big rear end club. I ended up delaying the main quest a lot, I was already level 20 something before I actually met Wyanna :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

explosivo posted:

Blood Bowl 2 is fun against the AI. Like you won't get a high level game but for starting out it's fine, you can have a great time just learning all the different teams.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just rolled up a Dark Wizard and the Skeletons do die too easily out of the gate. Also it wasn't immediately obvious to me that you can just have 2 summons of any type, whethers its 2 Skellies or 2 Skellie Mages or 1 of each.

So far I'm rolling around with Fire Element on and summong 2 Skellies that way, and I picked up the dog in town to help Tank. The Skeleton Mage does good damage, but it aims poorly and often misses the target so it just seems kinda wasted.

Up to like level 9 and then I accidentally died, playing the summoner/necromancer type seems to want a lot of points in a lot of trees so I imagine it feels bad at first but probably kicks rear end later once established a bit more. Like I put 1 in Tailoring to make a Cloth set, 3 points in Elementalist because the Dark Element skill / how it modifies your Skeleton summons seems terrible :confused:. At first I put a point into Frost but then decided to try out Fire since they do die a lot. I still almost want to spec into Blood or Holy for a more direct self Heal, or maybe Alchemy for Potions. But hopefully now it should be focused on Dark Magic since I got the Element skills I care about, then probably splash Speech for the HP/Armor buff (meager that it is)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 23, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm saving up for the Abomination on my Dark knight. I used skeletons in the very beginning to draw some aggro, but they do die really fast to be really useful. Just recently got the bone dragon (?) and he was hilariously OP, seems like made for boss fights since he's only up for a short time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sab669 posted:

(Replying separately as the other post was already quite long :v:)

The 1 STR sounds kinda wasted?
Ice Element seems good for an aggro-generating Skeleton

There's also a guy in that Inn in the starting town you can pay to join you - there's a list on fandom of who you can find and where. Not sure that it's a complete list.

I thought leather armor would be more helpful in not dying than it was lol

But yeah totally missed that guy, I'll go back later, but to be honest the blood-barbarian build I've got going kind of owns too. It reminds me of Two Worlds :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

wonton preorders

I'll stick to rangoon pre-orders

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tchia releases in March, as announced on Sony's State of Play

Goodbye Volcano High releases 6/13, looks like it's going for a fully animated game (even if the animation is that kinda simple Bojack Horseman-y style)

Baldur's Gate 3 releases 1.0 on 8/31

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 23, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sab669 posted:

For your base stats, I would recommend:

Awesome! Thanks for the write up, I will give it a shot.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
As someone who has played the first 3 God of War games, I am pleasantly surprised as the gameplay choices they made for God of War - Norse Edition. Calling back the axe that will hit enemies on its return path is super satisfying and the son getting me out of jams is cool too. I'm about 7.5 hours in and enjoy it more than all the other GoWs.

I would also like to say that Wasteland 3 > Wasteland 2.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Played the demo of Cult of the Lamb, that might be a buy.

I like how it says "controller recommended" but then I think I lost 1 heart the entire demo on kb/m it just worked extremely gracefully

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 23, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

rocksteady has done it again. powerful

wow i have +9% ammo reserve capacity. AND 4% bonus Impact (tm)

i can feel myself growing stronger by the second!!!! aaaaaa!! this is to go even further beyond!!! my previous gear score!!!!!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I loving hate it when I pick up a gun and it only has +3% impact instead of +4%

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The 7th Guest posted:

i can feel myself growing stronger by the second!!!! aaaaaa!! this is to go even further beyond!!! my previous gear score!!!!!!!

Genuinely not being hyperbolic here, but I never want to play a game that looks like this ever again.

Finding it surprisingly easy to stick to that stance, too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I loving hate it when I pick up a gun and it only has +3% impact instead of +4%
when i pick up a gun that has 3% impact instead of 4%, that is extremely disappointing, on account of my gear score not going up, which is required to access more challenging missions to grow my character and continue the rich and engaging player experience.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

The 7th Guest posted:

when i pick up a gun that has 3% impact instead of 4%, that is extremely disappointing, on account of my gear score not going up, which is required to access more challenging missions to grow my character and continue the rich and engaging player experience.

I almost said yikes out loud when reading this troubling parody.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Looks exactly like Gotham Knights.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

imagine taking 8 years to make this game

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

What does 78 rate of fire mean

how much is 8258 damage

who wants this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
we need to go back in time and prevent borderlands, or at least destiny, from being made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

we need to go back in time and prevent borderlands, or at least destiny, from being made

this is gaming's destiny