Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Desumaytah posted:

There's probably the Devil, the Devil Devil, and a the Devil Devil Devil, in descending order of strength.

Okay. Okay. Here goes

The imposter is going to turn out to not be Octopus Devil, but instead Chainsaw Man Devil, a new devil powered by fear of Chainsaw Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Shot in the dark theory: what if the government built a mecha-Chainsaw Man just in case they need to fight og Chainsaw Man?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mraagvpeine posted:

Shot in the dark theory: what if the government built a mecha-Chainsaw Man just in case they need to fight og Chainsaw Man?

Someone put Fujimoto in charge of Shin Mechagodzilla

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Part 2 not being part 1 again is exactly why it's great.

Also being well done helps a lot in smoothing that over.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/bingus_enjoyer/status/1629237319994642432

in conclusion, very different but very good vibes in part 2

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Okay. Okay. Here goes

The imposter is going to turn out to not be Octopus Devil, but instead Chainsaw Man Devil, a new devil powered by fear of Chainsaw Man

I still suspect Nayuta has a hand in the fake Chainsaw Man given her massive fandom combined with her actual love for Denji. Making something that can pick up the spares while maintaining Denji's reputation without costing Denji his downtime seems in character, and matches with all the birds.

On an unrelated note, the art expo revealed official heights for the anime.

Denji 5’8'' (transformed 5’11'')
Makima 5’6''
Power 5’7''
Aki 6'
Himeno 5’9''
Angel 5’1 ft (with halo 5’5'')
Kobeni 5’1''
Beam 5’5'' (with fin 5’9'')
Kishibe 6’4''

That means the anime versions of Makima and Aki are both about 2 inches shorter than they were in concept art, but it's easy enough to match with the manga. (Although Denji seems to be a bit taller compared to Makima later on. Seems the boy still had some growing to do). Similarly, Makima's always looked a little bit taller than Power even with the horns, but that's within normal art style variation.

The only ones that really strike me as off are Tendo being 5'9'' as well, when in most panels she's as tall as Aki, and, oddly enough, Kobeni being too tall. Denji calls her "short chick", and she's tiny looking next to just about everyone, but the anime listing has her being pretty close to average for Japanese heights. Figured something under 5 feet was a more reasonable guess. But I suppose moving the heights a bit closer together helps with shot blocking.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Shrinking from absolutely everything (until it's knife time) will probably give that impression.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’ve liked part two from the beginning and liked it more and more as it goes on. It’s surprisingly hard to compare to part 1 as they’re doing such different things. I’d say my enjoyment of them is equal but different.

The biggest issue with Part 2 is the release schedule. Obviously mangaka shouldn’t be on the insane crunch they usually are so this is only a comment on the actual story.

Stuff like the date was incredible imo. But it took like two and half months to get three relatively short chapters. When the run is finished it will read great but can feel torturously slow following release. I like having a wait between chapters so stuff can sit with you but definitely getting so many double weeks in a row is rough going

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

my homies from the Houseki no Kuni thread know what a hellish release schedule is wrt pacing, CSM is fine

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm a sucker for slice-of-life juxtaposed against an off-kilter setting, and Chainsaw Man: Part 2 scratches that itch.

Nothing beats the contextually banal "annual zombie outbreak and hunting contest" in Dorohedoro. Talk of even more slice sells me on part 2.

Did I blank it out or was Aki actually lighting the Easy Revenge cig only in the anime?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

symbolic posted:

my homies from the Houseki no Kuni thread know what a hellish release schedule is wrt pacing, CSM is fine

I’m a hxh reader so back off bub. Also just because something else has a worse schedule doesn’t mean the lobby waits somehow don’t affect pacing or how it feels to get so little

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

I’m a hxh reader so back off bub. Also just because something else has a worse schedule doesn’t mean the lobby waits somehow don’t affect pacing or how it feels to get so little

im just fuckin around, im in agreement

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ranzear posted:

Nothing beats the contextually banal "annual zombie outbreak and hunting contest" in Dorohedoro. Talk of even more slice sells me on part 2.

Did I blank it out or was Aki actually lighting the Easy Revenge cig only in the anime?

Have you not started part 2? You should really start part 2, part 2 rules.

And speaking of part 2, apparently I wasn't the only one who was reminded of a certain South Park episode by chapter 121 because videos like this have been popping up all over Tiktok:

https://www.tiktok.com/@sanuxmanu/video/7202747696346664235?q=yoshida&t=1677295880534

It's been a delight.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

symbolic posted:

im just fuckin around, im in agreement

:hai:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

symbolic posted:

It's relative. When you're used to monthly, bimonthly feels slow. When you're used to irregular, then three in six months might feel like a flood of content.

Chainsaw Man part 1 and early part 2 were consistently weekly, and the first chapter that required two weeks was an absolute monster that reintroduced Denji and revealed Asa's backstory and had what's still the most action packed fight in part 2 so far.

The skip weeks now only leading into 16 page chapters takes a bit of adjusting, is the long and short. And that goes double when it's a (relatively speaking) weaker chapter like 114. If things are in the normal flow, then every chapter only has to carry its own weight. If there's a delay, expectations build, and disappointment is stronger.

It's kind of similar to how part 2 being weaker than the highs of part 1 is both an unfair criticism and a real thing. What we have is great, and without the comparison it'd feel unbelievably amazing a lot of the time. But because we know Fujimoto can be even better, it lends a certain impatience to see where it's going.

(And, of course, so far the payoff has always been worth it. Denji and Nayuta's returns were better than anyone predicted. My closest thing to a complaint with the actual content rather than having to wait for it is that Yoshida isn't as interesting as Aki in the sidekick role, or as interesting as Makima in the sketchy probably-a-villain role. But we'll see how his part in the story plays out as it goes.)

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the schedule isn't consistent but it's generally been around three chapters a month, which is a similar pace to one piece.

i don't even think that part 2 has really been weaker than part 1 at its best though, the quality has picked up right from where part 1 left off, while part 1 took a fair bit longer to be great.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My big problem with CSM's scheduling is that I ran out of CSM to read.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

chiasaur11 posted:

The only ones that really strike me as off are Tendo being 5'9'' as well, when in most panels she's as tall as Aki, and, oddly enough, Kobeni being too tall. Denji calls her "short chick", and she's tiny looking next to just about everyone, but the anime listing has her being pretty close to average for Japanese heights. Figured something under 5 feet was a more reasonable guess. But I suppose moving the heights a bit closer together helps with shot blocking.

Nobody is under 5’ tall

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Have you not started part 2? You should really start part 2, part 2 rules.

Was trying to stay legit and read it through whatever official source but they aren't making it friendly nor making me want to read anything else they offer; on top of their grammar mistakes and other just weird choices (devilman vs fiend?) I just went through what was on mangadex, took half a glance at their app, and called it a day.

I like reading on my vertical monitor. Gating poo poo in a mobile app is anathema. It was obnoxious enough I didn't even remember the name.

lih
May 15, 2013

it's not gated to the mobile app? you can read it here, but you have to pay for the back catalogue but it's very cheap.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/chainsaw-man

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Whichever I was looking at had part 2 to present for free on a 'can open the chapter just once' kind of deal but it was app only. Mangastream?

$3 ain't bad though. Is it the same translation still?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Honestly, $3 is a great deal, even if you're only reading Chainsaw Man. I subscribed and haven't regretted it. You can also read Goodbye, Eri and Look Back, two one-shots Fujimoto did that are excellent

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm reading Chainsaw Man and One Piece! At the rate I'm going I'll be caught up to One Piece like... next year? But it's something to do between chapters of CSM.

lih
May 15, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Whichever I was looking at had part 2 to present for free on a 'can open the chapter just once' kind of deal but it was app only. Mangastream?

$3 ain't bad though. Is it the same translation still?

you were probably looking at mangaplus? the other official place it's published

it's the same translation but it's fine. 'fiend' isn't really a worse translation than 'devilman' - there isn't really a good english equivalent of 'majin' so both translations just did whatever. 'devilman' is clunky and just a direct translation of the component characters so it's pretty understandable why the official translation went with something else and 'fiend' does the job fine.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lih posted:

the schedule isn't consistent but it's generally been around three chapters a month, which is a similar pace to one piece.

i don't even think that part 2 has really been weaker than part 1 at its best though, the quality has picked up right from where part 1 left off, while part 1 took a fair bit longer to be great.

On average sure but we’ve just gotten three two week breaks in quick succession

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If we're being pedantic, Asa didn't consent to the kiss either. That was all Yoru's decision.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Yoru thought she was wing-manning for Asa but instead ran smack-dab in to dubious consent issues. Good job, Yoru.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
“All’s fair in love and war”
-Yoru, probably

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
All’s fair in love and me

lih
May 15, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

On average sure but we’ve just gotten three two week breaks in quick succession

and before that there were 5 weeks in a row with no break, it's not consistent. there's been periods where there's been more breaks and there's been periods where there were fewer breaks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
He just does this so his issues will line up with the right holiday

On St Patrick’s there will be a bad luck Devil

On Easter a Jesus Devil

On (checks Japanese calendar) Children’s Day there will be a Baby Devil

June doesn’t have any Japanese holidays so we’ll get weekly releases the whole month

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

All caught up.

If I had a nickel for every time Yoshida talks to Asa while she's got her head bonked against the school wall...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lih posted:

and before that there were 5 weeks in a row with no break, it's not consistent. there's been periods where there's been more breaks and there's been periods where there were fewer breaks

Yeah I understand what an average is lol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

chiasaur11 posted:

If we're being pedantic, Asa didn't consent to the kiss either. That was all Yoru's decision.

That’s where Fight Club theory comes in!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Just read a bad translation of 122. Honestly didn't realize people still bothered with such thing, thought I just caught it early.

Looks like things are going to be heating up though. Also the new devil's design is out there in a Darkness sorta way making me think it's probably another primal fear, or maybe it's just that abstract conceptual stuff can look like that? If it is Suicide that might make sense. Maybe a decent translation will allude to what it is better...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Brightman posted:

Just read a bad translation of 122. Honestly didn't realize people still bothered with such thing, thought I just caught it early.

Care to share?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
What exactly is Denji's relationship with Public Safety at this point? He doesn't seem to work for them, but they presumably pay him. The Chainsaw Man escapades seem to be loosely approved, as long as he doesn't reveal himself, but outside of that, it's not clear if they could call on him to do anything or have authority over him anymore.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Jerkface posted:

Care to share?

Okay but it's not great: https://w14.mangafreak.net/Read1_Chainsaw_Man_122

I think this site steals the most recent version, usually it's fine, but as of yet it's still the bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What exactly is Denji's relationship with Public Safety at this point? He doesn't seem to work for them, but they presumably pay him. The Chainsaw Man escapades seem to be loosely approved, as long as he doesn't reveal himself, but outside of that, it's not clear if they could call on him to do anything or have authority over him anymore.

If he turns into Chainsaw Man twice a year, he's good. He turns into Chainsaw Man no times at all, he's even better. Yoshida's group wants to keep Chainsaw Man off the streets so they pay him a monthly fee NOT to turn into Chainsaw Man.