Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

I actually can't remember how Eri's quirk works, why would loving him up stop the quirk?

because then the rewinding is working on all the damage rather than just de-aging him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Electric Phantasm posted:

I actually can't remember how Eri's quirk works, why would loving him up stop the quirk?

It was established on-panel in the final fight against Overhaul that if you keep taking damage Eri's quirk has to keep rewinding that damage rather than rewinding you out of existence, so Deku fought Overhaul by slinging Eri onto his back and going full max 1000% power grind-my-bones-into-powder-every-time-i-move mode so the rewinding would have to constantly keep reconstituting his crushed bones instead of killing him.

It doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it, but it was the climax of an arc so it's pretty well established.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Because the way it works is kind of nonsense. Basically, when Eri rewinds you, she reverts you to a previous state, but if you're actively loving yourself up (like Deku was vs. Overhaul) you're constantly entering a new state of being hosed up that she has to rewind you from before any actual de-aging takes place. It doesn't really make sense under normal logic, but I can interpret the anti-logic that holds it together.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

SKULL.GIF posted:

That would be a good moment for Overhaul himself to join the world's BIGGEST party.

Does his thing and then immediately loses his arms afterwards

I mean I have to assume he's getting brought back somehow because he was around for the Nagant fight

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 26, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

quote:

Eri's quirk

Thanks everyone and yeah I can forgive the idea not making complete logical sense since it led to infinite 100% Deku and the climax of Eri's arc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Overhaul's presence in the story indicates to me that part of the end of the series is gonna be Eri "forgiving" him or showing that she's recovered by rewinding his arms back on, which he then uses to fix everyone's major booboos so we can completely negate anything bad that might've happened. Midnight gets to be the only UA-adjacent person to die.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Also make Mineta the only UA student to die and we might get something salvageable.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Also make Mineta the only UA student to die and we might get something salvageable.

Mineta will be the one to finally put All For One down for good.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Can't rewind ALL the grapes

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

Overhaul's presence in the story indicates to me that part of the end of the series is gonna be Eri "forgiving" him or showing that she's recovered by rewinding his arms back on, which he then uses to fix everyone's major booboos so we can completely negate anything bad that might've happened. Midnight gets to be the only UA-adjacent person to die.

What happens if Eri rewinds a corpse?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Arist posted:

Because the way it works is kind of nonsense. Basically, when Eri rewinds you, she reverts you to a previous state, but if you're actively loving yourself up (like Deku was vs. Overhaul) you're constantly entering a new state of being hosed up that she has to rewind you from before any actual de-aging takes place. It doesn't really make sense under normal logic, but I can interpret the anti-logic that holds it together.

I believe as the fight was ending the rewind effect got strong enough that even being in 100% Full Cowling wasn't enough to stop it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rhonne posted:

He uses his balls to attach All for One to Gigantomachia's butt. Gigantomachia then spends the rest of his life chasing his tail.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

At this point, I honestly am half-expecting this.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Mineta is more tolerable than half the characters in this series at this point

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It also doesn't hurt that Toga currently makes up half of the characters in the series.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Get his rear end, Harvey Bird Goth.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I don't think AFO is taking damage fast enough to outpace the rewind.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also is he actually using Eri's quirk I honestly have forgotten at this point.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also is he actually using Eri's quirk I honestly have forgotten at this point.

Yes, the doctor reversed engineered it from the quirk destroying bullets and he said that it will eventually cause him to vanish, which is why he's trying to hard to get to Shiggy before he's completely gone.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Considering how they've been shrugging off any attempts to damage them all this time, I can't imagine them doing any damage to actually hinder Eri's quirk working on him even now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RareAcumen posted:

Considering how they've been shrugging off any attempts to damage them all this time, I can't imagine them doing any damage to actually hinder Eri's quirk working on him even now.

This is fair, Izuku was literally exploding every bone and muscle in his body at 100% after all.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
Deku also didn't monologue for 20 minutes in between dishing out/receiving attacks.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It was great because I saw some anime-onlys be completely unsurprised by Nana's ability being Float, because he was straight up flying for that entire conversation.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mineta is more tolerable than half the characters in this series at this point

The saving grace of this arc so far is that I barely see him at all with all these reoccurring characters coming out of the woodwork.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5656/my-hero-academia-chapter-382

"Shooting a huge energy blast" continues to be incredibly boring.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Oh, look! Another giant cool finisher move completely no-sold in two panels, only to lead immediately to another character's big return/move and how this will surely be what stops All For One.

Not so fast, All for Bishounen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this pattern has continued for, what, six or seven months now

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

Oh, look! Another giant cool finisher move completely no-sold in two panels, only to lead immediately to another character's big return/move and how this will surely be what stops All For One.

Not so fast, All for Bishounen.

I'm much less annoyed by this than the Shigaraki fight because it still apparently caused All for One to de-age himself again. I'm not really sure what bullshit Horikoshi is going to attribute that to, but at least it had an effect instead of the fuckall everything did to Shiggy until Deku showed up.

I bet the next twist is going to be that he's too young now for Gigantomacia to recognize his voice.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Are we going to see a hero punch a baby at some point

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Are there any remaining fan-favorite characters other than Overhaul/Eri/All Might who have yet to show up to unleash their Big Moment? I specify fan-favorite because that's exactly what we've been getting this entire arc, I don't expect Sugarman or Lunch Rush to have a save-the-day. But it feels like we're running low on the number of rabbits Hori can pull out of his hat to do a Not So Fast All For Potato.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You know whats funny about the pattern is that if the anime is adapted at a pace of about two chapters per episode we will be seeing back to back character introduction and no sells for like 2 months.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Also I've realized that if Kirishima's here, that means he beat Midnight's killer off-screen. RIP all hope for an Immortals arc.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I don't fully understand why this manga feels like it is both in a hurry to wrap and also desperately stalling for time.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Caidin posted:

I don't fully understand why this manga feels like it is both in a hurry to wrap and also desperately stalling for time.

Remember how the Ninja War spent a year on randies and C-listers fighting infinite regen zombies? And the oniy interesting fight among them went to some nobody samurai?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
They better not kill All Might at this point, there's no reason other than to make me sad.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Diabetic posted:

They better not kill All Might at this point, there's no reason other than to make me sad.

Honestly I've been waiting for that to happen for a long time, but now I feel like it's too late to have much impact unless he and AfO do a mutual kill or the like.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Nephthys posted:

I'm much less annoyed by this than the Shigaraki fight because it still apparently caused All for One to de-age himself again. I'm not really sure what bullshit Horikoshi is going to attribute that to, but at least it had an effect instead of the fuckall everything did to Shiggy until Deku showed up. .

I think that's just a manifestation of Eri's quirk slowly rewinding him out of existence. I agree with one of the posters above: I can't wait until they are fighting the AfO baby. :allears:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Caidin posted:

“Horikoshi is currently dying” neatly explains both of these

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
This manga is very good at making me give a poo poo for a chapter or two, and then immediately undoing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
All Might should’ve died at some point but we are well past whatever opportunity there was for that

I can’t even remember the last time he was relevant