Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Hirez posted:

What is the best little person match? I assume they're professional about it down in Mexico instead of them being a Vince joke, but I don't really know

Probably not the best, but WeeLC from the Extreme Rules 2014 preshow is really really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hirez posted:

What is the best little person match? I assume they're professional about it down in Mexico instead of them being a Vince joke, but I don't really know

Mije & Zacarias vs. Gallito & Microman from Children's Day 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?ZlhRuCWOSgA&t=4489s

This is Microman's debut match and it sold out Arena Mexico. It's awesome. There might be a better Microman match but it's hard to think of a specific one when this stands out so much.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Link wasn't working for me so here's a fixed link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlhRuCWOSgA&t=4489s

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Definitely a Microman fan now

I want him to wrestle Marko Stunt so Marko can work Big Show's style just once

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Why does Yuji Nagata roll his eyes up when putting someone in the Nagata Lock? It feels like a heel move that he kept doing even as a babyface, but it rules so hard

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Why did The Nasty Boys shave their armpits? The pit stop move would have been much grosser and nasty if they had armpit hair.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lily Catts posted:

Why does Yuji Nagata roll his eyes up when putting someone in the Nagata Lock? It feels like a heel move that he kept doing even as a babyface, but it rules so hard

I think you answered your own question

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hirez posted:

I remember weeLC being fun.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Hirez posted:

https://youtu.be/PDNo-t4reK4 wild stuff in here

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Definitely a Microman fan now

I want him to wrestle Marko Stunt so Marko can work Big Show's style just once

There is a non-zero chance if you tweet this at Court Bauer he will book it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

fez_machine posted:

Link wasn't working for me so here's a fixed link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlhRuCWOSgA&t=4489s

Who's this dude in the colorful suit with the pig mask? He's dope.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is Kaito Kiyamiya a geek/ not liked by the booker?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MassRafTer posted:

There is a non-zero chance if you tweet this at Court Bauer he will book it.
Definitely the most tempted I have been to return to Twitter

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

NOAH's strategy of late has been to maximise returns by foregrounding Muto and a few other stars of yesteryear/NJPW at the cost of the promotion's younger talent.

I guess the hope is that they can:

1. Get their young talent in front of enough eyes that they catch on

2. Build up enough of a war chest that they can survive the downturn when they switch to full push of the young guys

A risky strategy for a company that has already the suffered the most famous consequence of the AJPW curse of not really building young talent, when Misawa had to return to the ring because nobody else could draw a crowd

Generation switches are infamously hard to get right in any wrestling company and NOAH is kind of botching it in my eyes

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There's no point getting eyes on your young guys if you then proceed to have then get punked out by old men whose knees basically don't exist anymore. This should seem obvious. Why, if you're watching the show to see Mutoh would you come back next time to see a Mutoh-less show when all the NOAH home team guys look like wimps, men in their athletic primes losing to their broken down dad?

Cyberfight have done a lot of good, the production is world class, but Jesus loving Christ appointing any of Mutoh's hangers on as booker was moronic. Not least because they are all carnie as hell and have proven to be more than willing to plunder in the short-term by bringing in all their buddies at the expense of any future worries. It's like a plague of locusts ransacking one field before moving on to the next, never concerning themselves with the destruction left behind.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What are the defining Usos vs New Day matches? They're five really talented wrestlers but because it's WWE, their matches have all blended into one big haze over the years.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What are the defining Usos vs New Day matches? They're five really talented wrestlers but because it's WWE, their matches have all blended into one big haze over the years.

Going just by the cm reviews, there's three (or 4 if you include the ladder match) that are pretty clearly above the others:

01.01.2022 was another WON **** match.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

TV Zombie posted:

It took him four tries to beat a broken down Keiji Mutoh, and even then Mutoh gave a verbal submission rather than tap out.

So yeah, total geek

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Lily Catts posted:

I don't 100% know the full context behind the spot, but the Japanese commentators call it the "White Eyed God" so I think the bit is he's being possessed by a holy spirit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fez_machine posted:

Generation switches are infamously hard to get right in any wrestling company and NOAH is kind of botching it in my eyes

am I mis-remembering or did NOAH have problems deciding to pull the trigger on (at different times) KENTA and Marufuji back in the day, too?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Misawa died in the ring for a reason lol

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While he wasn't the guy just look at NOAH's handling of Riki-oh's title run to see how they botched young guys push in the day. Not only was his first defense a slow plodding mess against a guy with not a lot of credibility his second defense was on the dome with Misawa/Kawada and Kobashi/Sasaki which sure as hell made him look not like the top guy

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Wasn't he the guy who, despite being GHC, went on before Misawa and Kobashi? It's like CM Punk in WWE all over again smdh

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Third from the top against a young Hiroshi Tanahashi

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

harperdc posted:

am I mis-remembering or did NOAH have problems deciding to pull the trigger on (at different times) KENTA and Marufuji back in the day, too?

They hit the ground running with an elevation of Jun Akiyama on their first couple of shows, but then you look at their first GHC HW champs: Misawa, Akiyama, Ogawa, Takayama, Misawa, Kobashi. And then they have Kenta Kobashi's all-timer title reign end at the hands of Takeshi Rikio, part of the younger generation of guys, his debut was in 2000. But he wasn't really ready to be that guy to end a 2 year title reign by a living legend & then carry the ball, the fans were not sold on Rikio & he didn't have the charisma or the ability to turn them around, though I'm not sure the booking really helped: his first match was against perpetual JAG Akitoshi Saito & he didn't go well.

His next defence (against Tanahashi) was the 4th from top of a Tokyo Dome headlined by Misawa vs Kawada in their first match since the All Japan/NOAH split, and also behind the greatest match of all time (according to me) Kenta Kobashi vs Kensuke Sasaki & somehow Ogawa vs Genichiro Tenryu. Earlier on the card also had great GHC Tag & GHC Jr matches too. And this is a Tanahashi that's only held the IWGP U-30 title to this point.

He got to headline at the Budokan again, this time against Misawa in a match that has 1 review on Cagematch, compared to 25 votes on KENTA vs SUWA, but this is his best defence. But by this point you're 6 months in to the reign and the crowd just do not care. If you watch it, it's that stereotype of Japanese wrestling fans being politely quiet, rather than absolutely ravenous like you'd actually expect for a NOAH Budokan show main event.

And then he drops the belt to Taue. At least the crowd are hot for this one, but it's only because they want Taue to take the belt off this geek.

Next young guy to get a go is Marufuji, he wins the belt from Akiyama with a cradle because they are still treating him like a Junior I guess. His 1st defence was actually in NYC against Nigel McGuinness, it's really good. There's a great match with KENTA at the Budokan & then in his 1st match against a NOAH Heavyweight he loses to Misawa. Marufuji doesn't get another chance with the title until 2014 somehow.

So you've got Akiyama's 2 runs being ended up Junior Heavyweights, which hurts at this point, a lot. You have those guys treated as Junior Heavyweights even as they hold the top belt. They tried with Rikio but I don't think they did with Marufuji. Why didn't they go with Morishima instead of Rikio? Why didn't they at least have Marfuji beat someone in the Heavyweight division before giving up? Man, I don't know. I suspect Misawa is under a lot of stress at this point: NOAH is the biggest wrestling company in Japan at this point but it's still a small business. Obviously they do great business in Tokyo beaten Ariake Coliseum & the Budokan but they tour the country, and in those smaller towns in the northern Japan or in Kyushu or what have you, people are buying their ticket to see Mitsuhara Misawa. Which is why he never takes time off to let his body heal & is probably why he died young. And so when Budokan shows stop being Super No Vacancy Sellouts he starts to panic & sticks the belt on himself, he doesn't feel like he has the time to condition fans to accept Juniors on the same level as the Heavyweights, or to let Marufuji establish himself.

By the time KENTA gets his first GHC HW Title win it's 2013. Misawa is dead, Kobashi has effectively retired (Final Burning happens during his title reign), Akiyama has returned to All Japan & taken Go Shiozaki, Atsushi Aoki, Kotaro Suzuki & Yoshinobu Kanemaru with him in protest at the way Kobashi was released from his contract, rather than being kept on in a backstage role because it's loving Kenta Kobashi, Taue is Chairman & also retires during that run. After he dropped the belt he was off to the WWE, & they'd missed their window.

What it comes down to...Well you can look on Cagematch. Misawa had 53 singles matches in NOAH, his first loss was a year into the company, when he dropped the belt to Akiyama. Then when he dropped the top title to Kobashi in March 2003. His 3rd singles loss was to Takeshi Rikio in 2005, & his 4th singles loss is to Morishima in 2008. At the end of 2008 he loses a match to Takashi Sugiura where Sugiura doesn't actually pin him, it goes 10 minutes & then to the judges. That's it. There's a couple of draws in there too, but even they are to Akiyama & Kobashi. Kobashi has 2 losses in 44 matches, to Akiyama on the 2nd ever NOAH show & to Rikio. The other pillar, Taue, isn't as protected, but he lost a lot more after Misawa's death than before it. Ultimately I just think that Misawa was too conservative a booker, which is funny considering part of the reason he fell out with Mrs Baba was he wanted to break away from her husband's isolationist booking policy & work with other companies. The top guys were too protected as they got older. Which should mean that Rikio's wins over them meant something, but instead people were just kinda pissed off that this guy was being shoved down their throats that they didn't feel should be in that position.

The other thing is that NOAH didn't have round-robin tournaments until right at the end of Misawa's time in charge, Nippon TV Jr Tag League start in 2007, Global Tag League began in 2008, Global Junior HW League in 2009 & then the first Heavyweight round robin tournament didn't begin until 2010. These are obviously gruelling on the body but guys can get big wins in singles matches to elevate them! This is something Baba did so well in the Champion Carnival.

That's too many words on the topic probably. And other people beat me to the points I was trying to make but did it much more succinctly.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It annoys me because you could build an entire company around Nakajima, Kenoh, Kiyomiya, and Inamura. The crowd want to react to them. But Noah look at them not as superstars but as guys to make Fujita look good.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Lamuella posted:

It annoys me because you could build an entire company around Nakajima, Kenoh, Kiyomiya, and Inamura. The crowd want to react to them. But Noah look at them not as superstars but as guys to make Fujita look good.

Just saw that Kento Miyahara lost the Triple Crown to Yuji Nagata, so is the situation much different in AJPW nowadays?

e: vv makes sense tbh! vv

Venomous fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 28, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Venomous posted:

Just saw that Kento Miyahara lost the Triple Crown to Yuji Nagata, so is the situation much different in AJPW nowadays?

eh, nagata didnt really big league kento in the match, where if you watched any of the kiyomiya losses the old guys gave him nothing and even in the wins it was a quick handshake and outta here brother brother.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also Miyahara's been the top guy in All Japan for like a decade now.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also keep in mind in the 2000's NOAH tv was late night and a half hour so hard to show young guys in matches. And while the new talent could draw okay in Tokyo the smaller towns really just wanted to see All Japan Legends so whelp

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

e: vv makes sense tbh! vv

A) The match ruled. B) Yuji Nagata is mobile. His knees work. It's the same reason I have no issue with NOAH having Sugiura, Mochizuki or Kojima winning big matches. C) Kaito Kiyomiya is a 26 year old with one pretty good title reign that got better as it went on, Kento Miyahara is the undisputed ace of All Japan, it's 7 years since his first Triple Crown run. The only man to have held the Triple Crown for longer than Kento is Misawa, & Kento will surpass him. Miyahara is about the only reason All Japan draws enough to stay alive. You watch the shows & see the reaction to him coming out for a meaningless 6 man to anyone else on the show. I love the Aoyagi's & Ashino & all the rest but it's not even the same sport, never mind ballpark.

And yeah, it's what yea ok says. Kaito got made to look like a sad little guy by Mutoh & the hangers on. Nagata is giving, Sugiura, Mochizuki, Kojima are all giving. Mutoh & friends are slash & burn carnies with no interest in the wellbeing of the business, so long as they get paid today. It's not just age, it's a bunch of things.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The moment Kojima steps outside of New Japan he generally becomes awesome. Like, he's a fun Wrestle Dad in NJPW, but his team with Sugi in Noah has been amazing, and his match with Moxley in AEW was fantastic.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lid posted:

Why is it called the powerbomb

No one knows?

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Lid posted:

No one knows?

Probably a big super metroid fan came up with it.
No I will not at the chronology of that statement.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

SG Bamboo posted:

It took him four tries to beat a broken down Keiji Mutoh, and even then Mutoh gave a verbal submission rather than tap out.

So yeah, total geek

I brought up the question because I was listening to a podcast which talked about his Okada match and it gave the impression that the build up to the match and afterwards, that Okada thought Kaito wasn't worth the time. It's Okada but like why would the NOAH booker put their champion in such a difficult position. I'm quoting your post because it reminded me of how after Kaito got the win against Muto, Muto had to be chased down to give some sort of respect to Kaito.

I know Kaito's young but at least some begruding respect should be shown to your potential ace, shouldn't it

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Kento/Nagata was competitive from start to finish, yeah. On paper it sounds miserable (also way to pad the wrestlers who've won the Triple Crown, IWGP Heavyweight, and GHC Heavyweight titles amirite), but the match is genuinely great which is what really matters

For Okada/Kaito I hope it's just the beginning of an interpromotional feud, otherwise... lol.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NOAH was probably hoping the angle and build up would help Kaito but whelp, even on a NOAH show fans didn't see him near Okada's level. And while good probably could of used the time to be a proper bug Okada match but not gonna get that on the Muto show lamo

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Lid posted:

No one knows?

ive been looking for an hour online and all i can say is its Sids fault its called the powerbomb maybe he knows

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I was flipping through youtube and someone was doing a history of the figure four and they had a really old school guy [50's? Maybe] doing a standing figure four to someone. Anyone do that spot these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Suplex Liberace posted:

ive been looking for an hour online and all i can say is its Sids fault its called the powerbomb maybe he knows

Sid naming the powerbomb is something I would've never guessed and yet seems perfect. Also now we need to ask Sid.