Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Be aware that ozone in concentrations that you can 'conciously' smell, is toxic. It oxydises everything it touches, which makes it really effective against smells - but it is also one of the main culprits of damaging/dry rotting rubber (just in normal atmospheric conditions).

If you use an ozone generator somewhere, make sure the ozone can't leak into inhabited spaces, and if you use it in a car air it out very well before driving.

It really does work - but you gotta use it with care, just like you take care not to breathe too much gasoline vapor and have ignition sources nearby when you're loving around with your motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Raluek posted:

i thought i had struck gold because they make a 28x34 jean, it fit great until i sat on a bike and the knee pads came up above my knees

I've seen this from other brands too. They're lazy about making tall sizes, just adding to the bottom (hem?) of the pants. Useless.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

MetaJew posted:

I have a pair of 2 piece Alpinestars leathers (that I want to sell, lmk if anyone wants them) that at one time had a terrible BO smell. I tried everything I could think of to clean them. I would air them out after use, spray the inside and out side with a water and white vinegar mix. I think I also tried spraying the inside with a diluted rubbing alcohol mix. I even bought some very expensive motorcycle leather cleaning kit that I tried using. Visually they spruced up nicely, but the smell didn't go away.

Eventually I learned that hunters, and bow hunters especially will use ozone generators to remove scent from their clothing. I bought a cheap ozone generator off of amazon and stuffed my leathers into a rubbermaid bin, and did my best to make it air tight with the ozone generator inside of it. The stink went away overnight.

So, if you're trying to get rid of a smell, give an ozone generator a shot. If you get a beefier one, you can also put them in your cars or elsewhere if something is smelling musty.

No smell thankfully, just want to make sure any and all mildew is removed so I don’t have to worry about it spreading further, really.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

No smell thankfully, just want to make sure any and all mildew is removed so I don’t have to worry about it spreading further, really.

Buy this:

Underwater Kinetics HangAir... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011G1F8S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Cheaper than the motospecific hanger sold by places like STG, and works great.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

MetaJew posted:

So, if you're trying to get rid of a smell, give an ozone generator a shot. If you get a beefier one, you can also put them in your cars or elsewhere if something is smelling musty.

Neat! I bought a sketchy corona discharge ozone generator many years ago from aliexpress to treat a smelly car. It's zapped many a car since then with great success but never clothes. I've been pondering using it on some stinky synthetic moto gear that didn't get fresh from anything I've thrown at it thus far, so I think I'm gonna give the old spicy oxygen a go. I just need to figure out how to do it safely with the least amount of effort. Unfortunately I have no smelly car to use as an outdoor enclosure ATM. My storage shed is a little musty these days though... Unfortunately it's full of stuff I don't necessarily want to zap so I should probably think of something else. Or just take the motorcycle full of shiny plastic out first, that would work too I guess.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Buy this:

Underwater Kinetics HangAir... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011G1F8S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Cheaper than the motospecific hanger sold by places like STG, and works great.

The issue for me isn’t that my leathers don’t dry before I hang them up, it’s been that where I’m currently living can sometimes have high humidity levels, and can get really warm. If anything has any dust on it, eventually it will start growing mildew if the humidity isn’t controlled (which I’m working on making happen).

So I guess at this point, my question is: Will having my leathers and boots dry cleaned gently caress them up in any way?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It seems that every modular helmet must now come with a proprietary Bluetooth system, by law. I think I'll just buy an RPHA 90S on clearance while my size is still in stock.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Commuted again on the VStrom today in 33-34 degrees. The old Craigslist Tourmaster combo is pretty great. Heated grips and a windshield taller than short me also are a factor

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
26/-3 -29/-1 degrees on my ride this morning. Still fine. My hands were loving freezing on my way in from the parking lot, though

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

FBS posted:

It seems that every modular helmet must now come with a proprietary Bluetooth system, by law. I think I'll just buy an RPHA 90S on clearance while my size is still in stock.

Are you joking or is there really such law somewhere

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I am of course joking but the latest high-end modulars from Shoei, Schuberth, and HJC all have built-in cavities for branded bluetooth modules. I just want to reuse my packtalk bold you jackasses, I'll even drop $100 for a second helmet kit, but stop trying to lock me in.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The module goes on the outside, the only cavities inside the helmet are for speakers, which are nearly universal.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

The module goes on the outside, the only cavities inside the helmet are for speakers, which are nearly universal.

don't be so sure -

Schuberth uses a custom Cardo module that replaces the neck roll in C3 helmets, they build antennas into every helmet but the comm module costs (SRC system). The newer models use a variety of custom Sena modules that fit into custom recesses in the helmet

https://www.schuberth.com/us/products/motorbikes/communication-systems.html

Shoei Neotech and GT Air 2 use a custom Sena module that fits into custom molded recesses that are typically covered by pop-out ABS panels, the battery goes into a recess at the back of the neck roll

https://www.sena.com/us-en/product/srl-mesh

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

don't be so sure -

Schuberth uses a custom Cardo module that replaces the neck roll in C3 helmets, they build antennas into every helmet but the comm module costs (SRC system). The newer models use a variety of custom Sena modules that fit into custom recesses in the helmet

https://www.schuberth.com/us/products/motorbikes/communication-systems.html

Shoei Neotech and GT Air 2 use a custom Sena module that fits into custom molded recesses that are typically covered by pop-out ABS panels, the battery goes into a recess at the back of the neck roll

https://www.sena.com/us-en/product/srl-mesh

I actually own that Schubert helmet and somehow completely forgot about this module bullshit. Ripped it out immediately, because it was inferior to over the counter Sena Evo. I probably wrote a review about it couple years back in this very thread

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Sunglasses suck in a helmet as they fog up instantly. Swapping visors sucks as it's time consuming and not easily done on the fly.

But I've discovered Honeywell/Uvex Genesis safety glasses, which you can get in an assortment of tints, they have a supposedly excellent anti-fog coating, block UV same as sunglasses, and unlike good sunglasses, they cost next to nothing. There's also the added bonus of that incredibly slim chance of riding around with visor up and your eyes still having serious impact protection that ordinary sunglasses wouldn't give.

I'm about to order some and will report back

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

metallicaeg posted:

Sunglasses suck in a helmet as they fog up instantly. Swapping visors sucks as it's time consuming and not easily done on the fly.

But I've discovered Honeywell/Uvex Genesis safety glasses, which you can get in an assortment of tints, they have a supposedly excellent anti-fog coating, block UV same as sunglasses, and unlike good sunglasses, they cost next to nothing. There's also the added bonus of that incredibly slim chance of riding around with visor up and your eyes still having serious impact protection that ordinary sunglasses wouldn't give.

I'm about to order some and will report back

I really wanted to get a helmet with a drop down internal sun shade recently, but nothing in my price range that would fit my egg shaped melon had them.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My cheap Shark helmet has an internal sun visor and it's very nice. I use it a lot

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It took forever to find at MSRP, but the photo-chromatic visor for my Shoei RF1400 is amazing. And worth the premium.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I've heard that the photochromatic visors only last a couple of years before they start to fade to clear? C/D

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'll let you know, I only had mine through one year in Atlanta sun so far.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I used to wear sunglasses in my AGV helmet because the dropdown visor didn't dim worth a drat. But then I found a replacement darker tinted internal visor and have used that ever since. Pretty nice.

Pinlock also solved my fogging problem in all but below-freezing weather.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Carteret posted:

It took forever to find at MSRP, but the photo-chromatic visor for my Shoei RF1400 is amazing. And worth the premium.

The premium and the virtual inability to find one. Almost all of the shields and the pinlocks have been out of stock for months. I managed to find a dark smoke on ebay but that's it.

How do you feel about the chin latch thing for the visor? I'm not a huge fan but I'm also very not used to it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It took me no joke a year to find mine. The chin latch is weird and I've convinced myself to trust it, but it doesn't inspire confidence and I'm never 100% it's actually fully latched. I double and triple check it almost as often as I double check that my turn signals are cancelled. Maybe it's not adjust correctly with the gasket and pinlock?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

opengl posted:

I really wanted to get a helmet with a drop down internal sun shade recently, but nothing in my price range that would fit my egg shaped melon had them.

I wear Arai, so no internal shade here, and I'm not about to install their goofy external one

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

metallicaeg posted:

I wear Arai, so no internal shade here, and I'm not about to install their goofy external one

that external shade just seems like a ploy to sell more visors after the sunshade scratches them to poo poo (or whatever gets trapped under it does)

I am BEGGING someone besides Arai to make some non-poo poo long oval helmets, I can't be the only egg-headed bastard on the planet who wants a helmet with a design and features that don't scream "barely updated since 1963, with a gently caress-you price point". Sadly Arais are literally the only helmets I've ever tried that actually fit my melon

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 7, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jazzzzz posted:

that external shade just seems like a ploy to sell more visors after the sunshade scratches them to poo poo (or whatever gets trapped under it does)

I am BEGGING someone besides Arai to make some non-poo poo long oval helmets, I can't be the only egg-headed bastard on the planet who wants a helmet with a design and features that don't scream "barely updated since 1963, with a gently caress-you price point". Sadly Arais are literally the only helmets I've ever tried that actually fit my melon

I'm severely long oval and I settled on an LS2 this time. It fits well. No speaker pockets though which stinks but I made it work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Try suomy

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Me and my long oval noggin settled for a Kabuto last time around, after something of a saga finding any long oval helmet in the Australian market at that time.

I don’t have enough hours in it to give a proper assessment of what it’s like long term, though. The cheek pads are probably not even fully broken in and the helmet is probably coming up due for replacement soon (5 year rule)… 😟

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jazzzzz posted:

Tried a GT-AIR II?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

Ha, I wear the Quantum, which is Arai's round head model.

It looks like Pinlock is coming out soon with a photochromic insert that'll fit the VAS-V visor:
https://pinlock.com/product/pinlock-protectint-arai-dks116/

e: looking at revzilla reviews of other inserts it looks like they suck

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 8, 2023

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

metallicaeg posted:

Ha, I wear the Quantum, which is Arai's round head model.

It looks like Pinlock is coming out soon with a photochromic insert that'll fit the VAS-V visor:
https://pinlock.com/product/pinlock-protectint-arai-dks116/

e: looking at revzilla reviews of other inserts it looks like they suck

My only experience with a photochromic pinlock was the better part of a decade ago and it was pretty bad, but it kinda makes sense since the visor itself is blocking some UV

Xakura posted:

Tried a GT-AIR II?

Yes, and it's not perfect but it's close. I'll probably buy one to replace my Signet-X, but my inner dad still wants a modular (no LS2 I've tried fits right, the ones I tried on also feel really cheap). Closest modulars I've found are AGV's sportmodular and the Neotec 2 but they both still give me forehead hot spots. Shoei does a custom fit program in Europe and Asia where they will add foam to the liner to tune the helmet to your head shape, but it's not available here

Slavvy posted:

Try suomy

Hard to find over here but if I can find someone selling them that does doesn't charge restocking fees on return I'll give it a shot

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My GT-Air is five years old this spring so I was going to replace it. I was also going to take this time to upgrade from my crusty old Sena SMH10 to a newer Sena with all the latest bells and whistles (I'm especially looking forward to ambient mode, dang it'll be nice to hear better with plugs in).

I took a look at the new GT-Air IIs and saw the new panels for the built-in Sena SRL2 integration. As far as I can tell the SRL2 is the same slimline garbage as my old Sena, and it's missing everything that I'm looking forward to. Whats worse, the SRL panels make it impossible to add a normal Sena without putting it almost at the back of the helmet. Ugh.

So tl;dr: I think instead of upgrading the GT-Air that I loved, I am going to get an RF-1400. I've never had a helmet without built-in sun shade, either the GT-Air's builtin or the swap of dirt bike goggles. The photochromatic visor for the RF-1400 is backordered indefinitely, what are my options here? Do I really carry two visors and swap them out? Do I keep pinlocks on both? What's the best way to carry the spare? Do I just go with best effort and squint/ride-open as needed? Any other lifehacks or advice?

EDIT: I guess I can also fit an Arai, I'll try that out alongside the RF-1400 next time I'm in the shop. MY WIFE has an Arai so I know it'll take a Sena 30K pretty well.

EDIT2: I don't think my Ray Bans will fit in a helmet, my helmet pads are pretty snug on the sides, but maybe there are some sunglasses I can fit under there. So that might work too. Not looking forward to having that pressure on day-long rides but I guess for those I'll have luggage to hold swapped visors.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 28, 2023

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
RF-1400 has a vastly different fit than the GT Air / II, hopefully it works out for you

Your Ray Bans might work if they have bayonet temples that go straight back over your ears. I have a pair of Randolph aviators that work really well under helmets but they are charging 319 loving dollars for a new pair these days, so gently caress that noise. Maybe see if you can find a pair on eBay - there seem to be a ton of them available

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Hm, I tried them both on today and the RF-1400 felt the same good snug as a GT-Air. Maybe I'm just between the two shapes. I'll wear it for a few more minutes next time and check for hot spots.

I don't mind finding some low-profile sunglasses if it's something that's worked for others. Good to know what options I have. After never having to worry about sun glare before I just wasn't sure how irritating it'll be to deal with.

(And the size/weight of the GT-Air has always been a minor annoyance so it's a nice silver lining to be forced into a lighter, smaller helmet. Upsides.)

Ulf fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 28, 2023

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

FWIW I've gotten away with just using the tinted visor on my RF-1200, it's not as aggressive as I thought it would be. The caveat to that is that I have relatively good eyesight and most my night riding is in the city, but I have gone out of town on the high way the odd time and I didn't feel like I was flying completely blind.

I used to use sunglasses under my helmet in my early kart racing days and its certainly a viable option although I would really push to find something that's as comfortable as possible if you go that route

I'm due to replace my RF-1200 and I'm kinda hoping the X-15 comes out in North America some time soon.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
In case anyone in the US is still looking for the RF-1400 photochromic visor (out of stock everywhere for the last few years), my local shop has about 100 in stock today and does mail order: https://performancecycle.com/shoei-rf-1400-helmet-photochromic-shield-cwr-f2/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Arai finally bringing the Quantic to the US, it’s called contour x here though.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Anyone ever try an electric visor shield for fogging in colder weather? Pinlock kind of sucks. How are the electric visors? I am thinking of trying to ride in the upper 30s\slightly above 0c and not have a miserable time.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 6, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Ah, they work fine. The issue is that very very few motorcycle helmets have them available, you need to use a snowmobile helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Hmm. Do you wear a balaclava under the helmet?
I went riding once when it was 40 with handwarmers in the riding gloves and the visor slightly cracked.
Was terrible, fingertips were cold. Face was numb. Cracking the visor is generally not advised for safety.
High 40s or low 50s is OK.
Not sure if I'd want a whole heated helmet. Maybe for backcountry snowmobiling in sub zero temps.

I snowboard and don't wear heated gear but stuff is insulated.
Trying some heated riding gloves soon.

My core was mostly OK.

This year in the northeast we have so many days above freezing with dry roads. It seems feasible to enjoy riding with proper gear.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 6, 2023