Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

MJeff posted:

Tony Khan should book Ring of Honor because he's the best booker in the world and I want to see more wrestling television booked by him.

To be clear, my suggestion is that he limit himself to pro-wrestling and the Premiere League until he can focus purely on wrestling, which is clearly his truest love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tony doesn't need more hours he just needs another truck of the white stuff

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Rarity posted:

Tony doesn't need more hours he just needs another truck of the white stuff

He’s on he same patches as Sam Bankman-Fried. Same side effects too (bad purchasing decisions)

Um, according to my sources.

My sources are I made it up

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jonny Nox posted:

He’s on he same patches as Sam Bankman-Fried. Same side effects too (bad purchasing decisions)

Um, according to my sources.

My sources are I made it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7l0Rq9E8MY

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pylons posted:

I want Tony unconstrained from the tyranny of quarter hour numbers and commercials. Book the wildest poo poo possible for my $10.

Honestly the outcome where TK's brain goes through the stargate and he books PCO and Luther in a deathmatch (and then together as a tag team) on television is the one i truly want.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The greatest trick WWE ever pulled was convincing generations of wrestling fans that booking a wrestling promotion is some insanely difficult and complex task that requires dozens of booking personal to be successful.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

The greatest trick WWE ever pulled was convincing generations of wrestling fans that booking a wrestling promotion is some insanely difficult and complex task that requires dozens of booking personal to be successful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6DWhkEeDg

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Davros1 posted:

It doesn't, but that doesn't mean one dude should be booking 2 promotions simultaneously. As far as I'm aware that's close to if not actually unprecedented

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The secret is they're the same promotion :ssh:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

forkboy84 posted:

It doesn't, but that doesn't mean one dude should be booking 2 promotions simultaneously. As far as I'm aware that's close to if not actually unprecedented

Definitely unprecedented at the "national promotion on TV" level. There have been promoters who have run multiple indies simultaneously (Mike Quackenbush and the multiple "wrestling is..." promotions, for example) but they didn't have the weekly grind.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I thought in that Marc Maron interview Khan implied that he sketched out the big picture stuff, and selected the matchups for the shows, but a lot of the fleshing out is done by the producers and wrestlers themselves. That doesn’t seem excessively strenuous and time consuming, if so…?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gabe booked ROH and FIP at the same time. While it may be ahistorical, I’ve always felt the stress broke him. He may have always been an rear end in a top hat tho.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah the booking has never just been 100% TK he just has final say on everything. Jericho for example has a ton of booking influence on his programs, and there are countless interviews of wrestlers in the company saying how open he is to hearing ideas and implementing them if he thinks it works.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

coconono posted:

Gabe booked ROH and FIP at the same time. While it may be ahistorical, I’ve always felt the stress broke him. He may have always been an rear end in a top hat tho.

This is true, I always forget FIP existed. And i suppose Evolve & DGUSA had overlap too.

I generally think bookers need to walk away after some point in time, because they naturally just run out of fresh ideas, because booking good shows weekly is exhausting mentally. I don't know exactly what the amount of time is, but you could see Heyman lose steam in ECW after they got on PPV. Now there are mitigating circumstances like the money woes and the constant roster turnover at one point. But still. Gedo seemed to be running on fumes by 2020, but how much of that is just "there's no point doing anything real while there's no fans" I dunno. Still think deciding to turn EVIL like he did when no one could boo was a terrible loving decision. Gabe sort of peaked with Homicide winning at Final Battle '06 and though there was great stuff afterwards with Morishima you also had the Vulture Squad and deciding Jigsaw was better off without a mask which nah dude.

I suppose you can point to Giant Baba as a counter-argument because he was able to see AJPW through maybe 3 different distinct "eras" over a couple of decades.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love the ROH presentation too. The graphics are sick

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Giant Baba did everything through a bar telephone. He thought Misawa was stupid for wanting to put shows together in an office. Dude was on a different level.

Imo bookers generally get 1-2 really great ideas and get away with a lot more because they have talent willing to shoulder the burden of making things exciting.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Does anyone know if Honor Club will do that weird thing that NJPW World does where they charge you on the first of the month no matter what, so if I sub now they'll charge me for February and again on Wednesday for March?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Does anyone know if Honor Club will do that weird thing that NJPW World does where they charge you on the first of the month no matter what, so if I sub now they'll charge me for February and again on Wednesday for March?

thats a japanese billing thing so i doubt it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Booking a show isn't that complicated. It's just picking stories and matches. Producing, running, timing a show? That's all a significantly higher burden and probably something Khan can afford to delegate for RoH.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Nah, it does it the way you would expect. You get a month no matter what.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to watching ROH on my computer, and occasionally cast from my computer to my television.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1629997336452644867?s=20

:unsmith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hell yeah

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They do probably need to address the tag title situation soon

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

They do probably need to address the tag title situation soon

I don't want them to rush it for the sake of things.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Just put Jay’s name on the belts

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

In the longterm, something like a Jay Briscoe Cup as an annual tag tournament would be great.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Read the spoilers, immediately signed up for Honor Club. Looking forward to watching on computer with everyone here.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Would not surprise me if Tony is already planning out some type of tag team tournament and a lot of it being dependant on who he could get for it. Like obviously AEW has plenty of teams to fill out a 16-team tournament, but I feel like it would be cool if it were a 32-team tournament and they'd bring in former ROH tag champs not currently (or only partially) signed with AEW, like ReDRagon, American Wolves, G.o.D., Kings of Wrestling, or Steenerico (as if*sigh*). Not to mention of course teams from New Japan like Bishamon, Aussie Open, TMDK, a version of LIJ, one-off return of Dangerous Tekkers; and perhaps 37KAMIINA and other teams from DDT as well.

Definitely way too much fantasy-booking on my part, but I hope for a good tag title tournament.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1630304370767085569

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Tony, I can't sign up for Honor Club twice!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1630326913599242242

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

this card is insane

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

ugh FINE I’ll sign up for another god drat streaming service

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

...Fine, I guess I'll watch ROH

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this card is insane

god bless tony kahn

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

:eyepop:

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

The feeling when Zack's tron hit was insane

I hope we weren't dogs listening to Shakespeare

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
tony please ive never subscribed to a streaming service ever

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1630342017451696139

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

I'D LIKE TO SAY: Have barricades to slap, but we aren't there yet. Come on tony!!!

i want to slap the barricades and the porpoise