Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charles Ford posted:

So since "humanoid" means "non-human, but human-like", is an inhumanoid a double negative, like an actual human after all? Possibly that doesn't look human, but is?

"Inhumanoid" isn't an actual word, it's a conflation of 'inhuman' (lacking human qualities such as compassion) and 'humanoid' (human-like but not fully human, was originally used in reference to indigenous peoples). It means whatever you want it to mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
The latest episode of the MonsterTalk podcast has a pretty decent, if boring, explanation for the Dover Demon. The guest is pretty tedious though. I thought it was funny that the notes for the discussion reference both The Field Guide to North American Monsters and Mysterious America. Both of those books were very important to me as a kid and I still have them on my shelf.

It's an owl. Same as the Kellysville Goblins and Mothman

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Barn owls and heavy drinking are the biggest drivers of new cryptids.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Buddy I've tried both and still never seen a monster.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BrownPepper posted:

It's an owl. Same as the Kellysville Goblins and Mothman

:monocle:

Like clockwork

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
But I thought that the owls are not what they seem???

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Owls are interdimensional shapeshifters and only through extreme intoxication can we glimpse their true nature.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
Yes, we all know that all owls are actually screen memories covering up your alien abduction.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's physically impossible for an actual animal to move it's neck that way, it's clearly of interdimensional or interstellar origin.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

well yeah, they're from Ga'Hoole

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also the Van Meter Visitor was a sandhill crane, whose range definitely spreads to Iowa but it's a pretty rare sight there. It also has a handy explanation for the "glowing red eyes" phenomenon reported in a lot of flying cryptid cases:

And of course sasquarches and yetis are bears. Here's a great post from earlier in the thread:

sephiRoth IRA posted:

So I used to work for an unnamed laboratory that was funded primarily by state and/or federal funding. Details have been changed a bit. I use this preface simply to highlight how egregious the following story is given how serious the use requirements are for this kind of funding.

Initial rumblings were coming from the infectious diseases section that some malfeasance was happening in relation to the relatively new director, Anna. She was taking a ton of trips and leaving the running of the lab to the manager. This is normal, but we're talking multi-week trips.

Furthermore, Anna had been using a ton of extremely pricey sequencing reagents for a "pet project" according to the manager (like thousands of dollars per run, and these are supposed to be for testing patient viral specimens for diagnostic confirmation!)

We grilled the manager on what she meant by "pet project" and she couldn't provide any more detail. She told us that when she asked the director for detail, she was told that Anna was doing some assay development.

We talk to Anna, and she provides us with some test development validation paperwork. It all looks okay, it's for a disease state we didn't have an assay for, so we tell her to cut the extended travel and start doing her job.

Another six months go by and we're starting to wonder where the final validation package is. The manager tells us that Anna has been out sick a fair bit and still maxing out her leave.

We go back to Anna to ask for the validation and give her more poo poo about the leave and she breaks down in tears. The whole sordid story comes out. She had been working for months with a group in Hungary that believed they had found loving bigfoot.

She was flying back and forth to goddamn Romania and traipsing into the woods with these lunatics to collect fur samples from trees. Anna would then package it all up, bring it back to the lab in the US, and do extensive sequencing comparisons. She had burned literally 80k+ of state dollars on Bigfoot studies! We were hosed. Like everybody even tangentially involved.

We went to the state, smoothed things over as best we could. Anna was disgraced, fired quietly, and the manager took over as Director. Everything was kept quiet because the state couldn't afford the hit to their reputation thanks to recent gently caress-ups with their community outreach to historically disadvantaged communities. Basically money that was earmarked for improving these programs was moved to other unrelated projects at the request of the (completely white) leadership team and someone in the media got wind. I didn't get the full story but basically another funding snafu would sink them.

Keep in mind Anna was a great hire. She brought a ton of sequencing knowledge and basically launched our sequencing division single-handedly. I asked her before she left whether she'd found any evidence of bigfoot's existence and she told me

"No. I hosed my whole life to prove there are bears in Romania."

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the Van Meter Visitor was a sandhill crane, whose range definitely spreads to Iowa but it's a pretty rare sight there. It also has a handy explanation for the "glowing red eyes" phenomenon reported in a lot of flying cryptid cases:

And of course sasquarches and yetis are bears. Here's a great post from earlier in the thread:

Hmmm. How big were this "Anna's" feet?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
So, it seems that Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, the President of Mexico, has tweeted a photo of an Alux, a creature from Maya mythology. According to the president, "Everything is mystical."

Worth noting that currently thousands of people are taking to the streets in Mexico to protest a change in Mexican electoral law that's widely seen as a power-grab on the part of President Lopez Obrador, so you'd think he'd have less mystical things on his mind.

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2023/02/amlo-posts-on-twitter-a-photograph-of-an-alux/

stereobreadsticks has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Feb 27, 2023

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think it’s more that the current election system in Mexico favors the conservatives and this is just the latest example of the Mexican right finding ways to demonize him for the sin of having actually won in the first place.

I was going to say, imagine Republicans calling Obama a dictator for trying to alter the electoral college or preserve the voting rights act, but it’s kind of impossible to imagine Democrats actually wanting to improve the system in the first place.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Someone on my parent's Nextdoor has reported a chimp in their backyard. New cryptid confirmed?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BrownPepper posted:

Someone on my parent's Nextdoor has reported a chimp in their backyard. New cryptid confirmed?

They're probably just racist

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I think it’s more that the current election system in Mexico favors the conservatives and this is just the latest example of the Mexican right finding ways to demonize him for the sin of having actually won in the first place.

I was going to say, imagine Republicans calling Obama a dictator for trying to alter the electoral college or preserve the voting rights act, but it’s kind of impossible to imagine Democrats actually wanting to improve the system in the first place.

I'm not making a statement on the validity or lack thereof of either side's arguments regarding the Mexican electoral system in the cryptozoology thread (and for the record I was a supporter of AMLO until recently, he kind of lost me due to his handling of COVID but whatever), just saying that the president of a large and influential country tweeting out evidence for the Alux is kind of funny.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrownPepper posted:

Sometimes people's exotic pets escape or get brought to the public's notice in weird ways, like that tiger that was discovered living in a tiny apartment in Harlem back in 2003 and caused a bit of a panic:

Postscript to that story: Wikipedia reports that the tiger was taken to an animal sanctuary in Ohio where it got to live with other tigers and roam around a big enclosure and experience the elements for the next 16 years until it died of natural causes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

the tiger was taken to an animal sanctuary in Ohio where it got to live with other tigers and roam around a big enclosure and experience the elements for the next 16 years until it died of natural causes.

Uh huh...I'm not about to be fooled by your elaborate euphemisms, buddy

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Sometimes people's exotic pets escape or get brought to the public's notice in weird ways, like that tiger that was discovered living in a tiny apartment in Harlem back in 2003 and caused a bit of a panic:

Postscript to that story: Wikipedia reports that the tiger was taken to an animal sanctuary in Ohio where it got to live with other tigers and roam around a big enclosure and experience the elements for the next 16 years until it died of natural causes.

I'm pretty sure she saw a raccoon but thats a sick picture

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If this turned up at my back door in the middle of the night I'm pretty sure I'd assume it was a cryptid

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
The Hopman Prophecies

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

This explains a lot. The podcast always felt dodgy when I stopped listening to it a while ago now

https://twitter.com/benjamingrundy

I know this is late but holy poo poo this sucks. Dude is a full on crazy. And I always thought he was the more reasonable moderate one of the Mysterious Universe guys. Glad I never bought anything from them. I gave a recent episode a listen and it is all Covid is planned China is evil crackpot poo poo said so casually without the kind of indulgent irony they used to portray. Oh well, there's a few gigs of podcast data freed up.

anyway. Crop circles are almost definitely fake (...unless?) but man they look cool.

Bogart has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Feb 28, 2023

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Bogart posted:

anyway. Crop circles are almost definitely fake (...unless?) but man they look cool.

This is another of my periodic recommendations of Jim Schnabel's "Round in Circles" for a great rundown of crop circles and the crop circle community. He listens to all views, talks to everyone involved, entertains and examines all theories. And then, two chapters before the end, there's a massive mic-drop moment. A very Fortean book.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

nonathlon posted:

This is another of my periodic recommendations of Jim Schnabel's "Round in Circles" for a great rundown of crop circles and the crop circle community. He listens to all views, talks to everyone involved, entertains and examines all theories. And then, two chapters before the end, there's a massive mic-drop moment. A very Fortean book.

I’ll second picked it up based on a rec earlier in the thread and the book rules.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bogart posted:

I know this is late but holy poo poo this sucks. Dude is a full on crazy. And I always thought he was the more reasonable moderate one of the Mysterious Universe guys. Glad I never bought anything from them. I gave a recent episode a listen and it is all Covid is planned China is evil crackpot poo poo said so casually without the kind of indulgent irony they used to portray. Oh well, there's a few gigs of podcast data freed up.

Yeah, them slowly becoming (or dropping the facade of not being) complete raving far-right loons was a huge disappointment to me, especially since they had tried to distance themselves from the actual Alex Jones/Trump fan conspiracy fringe for a while. There were occasional anti-China bits but nothing too out of the ordinary for what passes for the mainstream views on China here in the US (or Australia, I'd imagine). Covid really seems to have done for them what 9/11 did to people twenty years earlier.

This is a very small thing but while them becoming far-right whackos is sad but not weird, one lingering question I have about Mysterious Universe is that very briefly, back in 2016 or so, they brought on a third host, who then a few episodes later completely vanished and I don't think was even mentioned again. Really curious just what was going on behind the scenes for that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Old Norse tracts from the 13th and 14th centuries mentioned a monstrous sea creature called the Hafgufa which would feed by tricking huge numbers of fish to swim into its open mouth. It seems to be related to a sea monster related in Greek manuscripts from around 300 AD and an Icelandic story from around 1200 AD about a monster called the aspido.

quote:

In the Speculum regale (aka Konungs skuggsjá, the "King's Mirror"), an Old Norwegian philosophical didactic work written in the mid-13th century, the King told his son of several whales that inhabit the Icelandic seas, concluding with a description of a large whale that he himself feared, but he doubted anyone would believe him about without seeing it. He described the hafgufa as a massive fish that looked more like an island than like a living thing. The King noted that hafgufa was rarely seen, but always seen in the same two places. He concluded there must be only two of them and that they must be infertile, otherwise the seas would be full of them.

The King described the feeding manner of hafgufa: The fish would belch, which would expel so much food that it would attract all the nearby fish. Once a large number had crowded into its mouth and belly, it would close its mouth and devour them all at once.

Its mention in the Speculum regale was noted by Olaus Wormiaus (Ole Worm) in his posthumous Museum Wormianum (1654) and by another Dane, Thomas Bartholin the senior (1657). Ole Worm classed it as the 22nd type of Cetus, as did Bartholin, but one difference was that Ole Worm's book printed the entry with the skewed spelling hafgufe.

This is apparently a depiction of a hafgufa, if you've seen a lot of olde timey maps you've probably seen this guy around a lot:

There were a lot of guesses as to what this might have actually been but scientists have recently noted humpback whales off the coast of Vancouver and Bryde's whales in the Gulf of Thailand as well as in Beibu Bay in China using a feeding technique they're calling trap or tread water feeding where they sit vertically in the water with their head poking out and their mouths wide open and they just wait, and large numbers of fish actually swim right in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZDtHn39QI

Looks like that solves the mystery!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh yeah, we can definitely trust Ol' Wyrm when it comes to sea serpents/ocean dragons, definitely no ulterior motives there.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but I figure it's at least conspiracy adjacent. Does anyone know of a good breakdown of sovereign citizens and what their whole deal is? I'm trying to explain it to my wife but...it just sounds very stupid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Beachcomber posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but I figure it's at least conspiracy adjacent. Does anyone know of a good breakdown of sovereign citizens and what their whole deal is? I'm trying to explain it to my wife but...it just sounds very stupid.

Here's a quick explainer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN-JSFeYQ_o

Conspiracy bingo: see how long it takes before someone blames the entire scenario on Jewish globalists :v:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Slightly cheating, but an interesting Reddit thread about people seeing anomalous, absurd or even fictional things:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/11h4hwc/sightings_of_fictional_characters/

Including reports of setting Santa Claus:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2012/12/23/saw-paranormal-santa-claus/4HNUxlrZLFvo3T46VNTSJL/story.html

These cases are interesting, but less for "what did they see" and more for "why did they it". You can easily handwave away a lot of Fortean cases by asserting that witnesses are lying / crazy / stupid but that's always seemed like a lazy explanation to me. Mike Dash explored this a bit in Borderlands with his inner space hypothesis, that maybe cryptids etc. are more to do with psychology, perception and memory.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I always maintained that Santa should be classified as a cryptid. :colbert:

Parents can book a home visit from a Santa which I guess accounts for some of those sightings. The parents usually arrange a meet-and-greet but sometimes they have Santa sneak around and have the kids 'discover' them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
47, we’ve booked you in as a clandestine Santa. Only give the children their presents. Do not get spotted. If you are recorded, destroy the evidence.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
finally finished Inhumanoids. and it comes to some interesting conclusions:

quote:

One day or night (no one knows exactly when save for God Himself), millions of His people will be instantly transformed and taken up into the sky to be with their Creator without knowing ‘the pain of death.’ This global event will set off the ‘Great Tribulations’ period of seven years as spoken of in the Book of Revelations and cause worldwide chaos because most people won’t recognize it for what it really is.
Imagine the panic those left behind will feel when they suddenly see their children, brothers, fathers, mothers and friends instantly vanish right before their eyes. Cars will crash, planes will go down, people will jump off buildings; and then the flying saucers will fill the skies. “Of course!” everyone will exclaim, “It was the aliens. After all, they’ve been doing it all along!” Now the ‘aliens’ must take on a role as the evil abductors of our loved ones, which is no stretch at all, right? Once the entire world is fooled, even the ‘very elect of God,’ the world becomes united under a false assumption and the stage is set for one ruler instead of many.
Under these circumstances it would be all too easy for us to follow the man who promises war with the alien threat to regain the ‘hostages.’ This man will rule the entire world and eventually be revealed as the ‘Antichrist’ of Biblical infamy. Perhaps even the hairy inhumanoids will step forth as well, as they seem to be intimating that they will, and assume the role of ‘opponents’ to these ‘invaders’ whose minions they have been all along. Regardless of whose side you pick now; you lose.

quote:

We need to take a hard look at these beings and ask some hard questions regarding them; especially the Bigfoot entities, which many feel will one day turn out to be the long sought for ‘missing link’ between apes and men, validating Darwin’s ‘Theory of Evolution’ and casting into doubt forever the notion of ‘Divine Creation.’

TLDR-aliens are going to be used by the anti-christ to explain the rapture, and unite people into a world government to fight the non-existent aliens, bigfoot is a demon sent to make us think there is a missing link, prove evolution and make people stop believing in god.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I know they have an entire alternative argument as to why the fundamentalist/evangelical strand of Christianity did not actually appear in the 19th century, but instead represents the Real Provisional Constitutional Christianity, but you'd think they'd at least try to address the existence of Christians who believe in evolution, either as-present or as a working theory with God's involvement being numinous and subtle.

Then again, they're probably the real enemy of all of it: Liberals.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ambitious Spider posted:

finally finished Inhumanoids. and it comes to some interesting conclusions:

TLDR-aliens are going to be used by the anti-christ to explain the rapture, and unite people into a world government to fight the non-existent aliens, bigfoot is a demon sent to make us think there is a missing link, prove evolution and make people stop believing in god.

If Bigfoot/yeti is a scam to make us think that evolution is real then they're playing a REALLY long con, they've been tantalizing the public with the idea for over 100 years now but they're still in the "vague rumours, blurry photos and weird footprints" phase of the hoax and haven't doled out any actual evidence to entice the wider scientific community

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
For me, personally, the rise of the antichrist is a small price to pay if it means we get to see the hairy inhumanoids finally step forth

Edit: that is all really interesting- thanks for summarizing the book!

BrownPepper has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Mar 6, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

If Bigfoot/yeti is a scam to make us think that evolution is real then they're playing a REALLY long con, they've been tantalizing the public with the idea for over 100 years now but they're still in the "vague rumours, blurry photos and weird footprints" phase of the hoax and haven't doled out any actual evidence to entice the wider scientific community

That's exactly what I was gonna say, Satan's doing a pretty piss poor attempt at undermining Christianity if the best he can do is bits and pieces of non-evidence that most of the world either laughs at or ignores. I say step it up, the concept of an eschatological intergalactic alien/bigfoot war takes things further than I've seen before, and I'm excited to watch it play out.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ohhh, this is a good thread idea! Cryptids are an interesting topic to think about - as I'm Australian though, I obviously choose the Bunyip as my favourite. (We even have a local paper called The Bunyip in my state, now that I think about it)

Also, on the topic - I actually bought a book on cryptids/cryptozoology a little while ago, to help provide ideas for a Delta Green TTRPG campaign I'm running. There are certainly a lot of cryptids concocted catalogued these days, that's for sure!

EDIT: Also, FWIW I personally think that if one cryptid turned out to be real, the most impactful one would possibly be the Mongolian Death Worm. Since I mean, drat, imagine being paranoid about worms underground after seeing real footage of one during the massacre of a town, or something! (Also, clearly it must be the ancestor of the sandworms in Dune, if so)

Major Isoor has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Mar 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
While not quite the Mongolian giant death worm, Australia is home to the Gippsland giant (death... just when people aren't looking so it hasn't been recorded yet) worm!

https://www.giantearthworm.org.au/