Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

coldpudding posted:

This sparked an old memory, I got dragged along to watch my sister perform in a junior ballet show and I got assigned a seat behind a big pillar.:yayclod:
Lucky I had zero interest in watching the show anyway with 80% of the view blocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

canyoneer posted:

Things not great:
Did zero maintenance on the tankless water heater, which means every fixture's hot water line was clogged with water scaling sediment.

I always warn people that tankless/on-demand water heaters are gonna clog up their systems with more limescale compared to a traditional water heater, but every customer always ignores it as they see a chance to save a bit of space and simplify their system. It's good to know that I'm not wrong and one day they will rue that they disregarded my advice.

Then again poorly maintained traditional water heaters aren't much of an improvement. A couple years back I helped my grandmother remove one that was about twenty years old. Now, normally a water heater of that size, when empty(of course we emptied the water first), one healthy adult could probably have heaved it on to the wall bracket with the right lifting technique, and two could've done it effortlessly.

In the end it turned out to contain so much limescale that four grown adults(three of us working physically demanding jobs, so not exactly frail) were panting and sweating by the time we got it out of her basement, we couldn't even carry it up the stairs, we had to lay out ramps and haul it up with ropes. I was tempted to cut the thing open with an angle grinder just to see how much of the internal volume was limescale, but at the end I just wanted to see the back of the loving thing. I'm pretty sure it was heating up two hundred pounds of limescale just to get started on a couple liters of hot water.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

PurpleXVI posted:

I always warn people that tankless/on-demand water heaters are gonna clog up their systems with more limescale compared to a traditional water heater, but every customer always ignores it as they see a chance to save a bit of space and simplify their system. It's good to know that I'm not wrong and one day they will rue that they disregarded my advice.

Then again poorly maintained traditional water heaters aren't much of an improvement. A couple years back I helped my grandmother remove one that was about twenty years old. Now, normally a water heater of that size, when empty(of course we emptied the water first), one healthy adult could probably have heaved it on to the wall bracket with the right lifting technique, and two could've done it effortlessly.

In the end it turned out to contain so much limescale that four grown adults(three of us working physically demanding jobs, so not exactly frail) were panting and sweating by the time we got it out of her basement, we couldn't even carry it up the stairs, we had to lay out ramps and haul it up with ropes. I was tempted to cut the thing open with an angle grinder just to see how much of the internal volume was limescale, but at the end I just wanted to see the back of the loving thing. I'm pretty sure it was heating up two hundred pounds of limescale just to get started on a couple liters of hot water.

the little valve on the bottom is there for a reason! God I don't miss moving old water heaters. At least cast iron boilers can be cut into sections.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

It's often better on old water heaters to unscrew the drain valve out of the base so that bigger pieces can drain out. You also might need to stick a long screwdriver in the drain hole to bust up the big pieces so that they can fit out the hole. Do this before you disconnect the water lines on top so that you can open up the cold side and rinse that poo poo out.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 26, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jows posted:

It's that a Chili's?

That's every single Mexican restaurant in the Midwest.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LimaBiker posted:

I once crimped two RJ45 plugs because the network cable had to fit through a small hole, so a ready made cable wasn't an option.
I never did it before. I had to use a lovely aliexpress crimping tool. It took me just over an hour to crimp those two loving plugs onto the cable.

Fun fact: i grabbed the cable from the roadside trash to replace a piece of worn, bent, old cat5 that didn't make it to the full gigabit speed. I think one of the pairs didn't even work.

For some reason someone was throwing out some perfectly fine cat6 and ever since fighting with it, my desktop has a gloriously fast network connection.

To bring all this back to crappy construction, twenty-some years ago I had a friend living in the house next door and we wanted to connect our LANs, both for local multiplayer games and to share a DSL connection (which at the time was still fairly rare). I already had a spool of Cat 5, so I crimped plugs onto a big piece of it to make a big long ethernet cable, and we strung it between our second-story windows like a clothesline.

It worked fantastically well, and to this day I'm extremely glad it never got struck by lightning.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

To bring all this back to crappy construction, twenty-some years ago I had a friend living in the house next door and we wanted to connect our LANs, both for local multiplayer games and to share a DSL connection (which at the time was still fairly rare). I already had a spool of Cat 5, so I crimped plugs onto a big piece of it to make a big long ethernet cable, and we strung it between our second-story windows like a clothesline.

It worked fantastically well, and to this day I'm extremely glad it never got struck by lightning.

Were we friends twenty-some years ago?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

kid sinister posted:

It's often better on old water heaters to unscrew the drain valve out of the base so that bigger pieces can drain out. You also might need to stick a long screwdriver in the drain hole to bust up the big pieces so that they can fit out the hole. Do this before you disconnect the water lines on top so that you can open up the cold side and rinse that poo poo out.

The only valves this one had at the bottom were a couple of 1/2" pipe sections where the in and out connected, I don't think we were getting much limescale out of that no matter how much work we did with a long screwdriver.

Though yeah the smart play would've probably been to just carve the loving thing with angle grinders and bayonet saws before we started hauling.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Kevin?

Mister Dog posted:

Were we friends twenty-some years ago?

John?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
We recently bought a house, featuring a bathroom which made one of my friend ask if this is where Elvis died

We got the old shower and fixings thrown out and walls replaced in a couple of days, but for the last two weeks we have been staring at this, while we wait for the crew to come in and finish the job we were told would be done quick:

After a lot of astronaut washes, one night at a hotel and some showering at work, they have promised (hah!) to come in on Monday. In the meantime, I bought some washing machine hose and did some crappy construction of my own and rigged this:

If it's stupid and it works, it's slightly less stupid.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have a special place in my heart for brown sinks and toilets. They're so strange looking.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't understand how a contractor can do a demo and then leave. It's completely unacceptable, and should be dealt with immediately.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

evobatman posted:

We recently bought a house, featuring a bathroom which made one of my friend ask if this is where Elvis died

That's hideous. I want it!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It's not as bad as in the picture, we did have one guy here for two days who tore out everything old and put up new walls. According to the company we're using, two out of their three plumbers have been out sick, and the third one has been filling in for all of them. Some kindergartens and schools are closed due to tons of kids being seasonally sick, and it's hitting the parents too, including several of my friends, so I'm willing to believe them.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That's weird. Is there something causing people to be sick all the time lately or something? Strange!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

That's weird. Is there something causing people to be sick all the time lately or something? Strange!
twitter tells me it's vaccines

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/troughofluxury/status/1629574445231636487?s=20

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 26, 2023

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Don't know the story. Someone I know who does construction posted it on Facebook without comment.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Don't know the story. Someone I know who does construction posted it on Facebook without comment.

username/post combo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

It’s impossible to know how decking will line up

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

evobatman posted:

We got the old shower and fixings thrown out and walls replaced in a couple of days, but for the last two weeks we have been staring at this, while we wait for the crew to come in and finish the job we were told would be done quick:

After a lot of astronaut washes, one night at a hotel and some showering at work, they have promised (hah!) to come in on Monday. In the meantime, I bought some washing machine hose and did some crappy construction of my own and rigged this:

If it's stupid and it works, it's slightly less stupid.

You destroyed some American heritage. Needed some light and a japanese boom boom massager seat and youd have been in heaven

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This is so good. I love the little cut on the doorway step corner, to prevent.... ????? Something?!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I bet that door just opens to nothing and it's two stories tall. Parkour House.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

value-brand cereal posted:

This is so good. I love the little cut on the doorway step corner, to prevent.... ????? Something?!

You ever slip going up kinda-steep stairs or you're just drunk and catch yourself on a step several up rather than the handrail? Maybe that corner was at eye height for the owner and it made him nervous.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

value-brand cereal posted:

Probably to prevent whanging your shin on the corner of it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
There is an Elvis special on PBS right now that I'm watching and I open up this thread and the first post I see is the Elvis bathroom.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Used to work with a construction company that would move their office trailers (connected via wide-area radio mounted on a pole, usually) around a lot, and they wouldn't inform us - instead they would take a Cat5 and run it from the old location to the new location, and splice the wires like they were Romex. Usually managed to get 100 megabit going, which considering the Internet connection was less than 5 megabit was good enough. I was shocked this worked, but yeah Ethernet is pretty resilient, not like Token Ring where you could lose the token out one end.

Here's an Ethernet cable being held down by a trailer. Apparently "they always do that to keep it from flopping around" and couldn't understand that's the reason they have no internet.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 27, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

This is how you discover your corners aren't 90 degrees.

Jows
May 8, 2002

The vertical scaling must've gotten out of whack when doing the placement after the mirror.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

I'm guessing that's more for bringing a dolly down than bringing a human in a wheel chair down.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Any chance the door hinges are outside and on the left just to make everything more useless? I can’t really tell looking at the picture on my phone. But I don’t see hinges at all, so probably swings in.

Jows
May 8, 2002

captkirk posted:

I'm guessing that's more for bringing a dolly down than bringing a human in a wheel chair down.

Agreed. It was added after the fact as a fabricated steel structure. I'd say that's good construction.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Assuming the dolly is empty. Or if you're strong enough to not have needed the dolly anyways.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My friend bought a flip and continues to find janky poo poo, but this takes the cake.

Somehow neither he or the inspector caught that a window on the outside didn't match up to any window on the inside. Also the window wasn't even locked before they walled over it!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jows posted:

One of the biggest crimes in modern architecture is the complete lack of embellishments on buildings anymore. Walk around your town or city and older buildings have all kinds of purely decorative stuff on them. Nothing built since the 80s (is this another thing we can blame on Reagan?) has that stuff anymore.

I know. Efficiency and cost cutting has killed all those little works of art and craftsmanship.

For example, this is a sewerage pumping station in Crossness in the UK and it just blows my mind.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Otoh, I kind of get why minimalism is preferred.
"WTF why did my gas bill go up 700% this winter?"
"Well, the pipelines don't gild themselves now do they."

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You're not wrong, but given how costly modern infrastructure is, it feels like you could still do something if you allotted 0.5% of the budget to ornamentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

ornamentation is good for jobs, dammit