Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Honestly, it sounds less like a traitorpunk and more like a traitorpacifista/seraphim. The government weapons lines are way more like robots who have hard programing limits, while all the Punk lines are way more on the fully realized AI android line who have nearly as much autonomy as a normal person. I mean, so far all the seraphim units have been based on the not evil Warlords, but there's nothing saying some idiot didn't authorize the creation of a unit based on one of the less cooperative Warlords.

Some maniac made a S-Doflamingo, didn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Meanwhile, apropos of nothing:

https://i.imgur.com/RcTebIU.mp4

Typically I am pretty sour on the amount of reaction shots/tense still frames that are used to pad out the anime, but this was the perfect amount of build-up/reaction

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Gyges posted:

Honestly, it sounds less like a traitorpunk and more like a traitorpacifista/seraphim. The government weapons lines are way more like robots who have hard programing limits, while all the Punk lines are way more on the fully realized AI android line who have nearly as much autonomy as a normal person. I mean, so far all the seraphim units have been based on the not evil Warlords, but there's nothing saying some idiot didn't authorize the creation of a unit based on one of the less cooperative Warlords.

Some maniac made a S-Doflamingo, didn't they?

S-Shark was in chamber number four and we've seen chambers for five and six, so presumably there are a couple more. They might still be in development though - I think there was some comment alluding to S-Shark still being fairly new.

Perhaps chamber six contains the angriest, most demanding and awful hell-baby to ever exist. Wearing outrageous shades and a pink feather boa.

Realistically though I doubt Vegapunk was allowed to clone a Celestial Dragon, even a disgraced former one.

To address your main point, it's certainly likely there's something more going on with the Seraphim, but Oda really seems to want to limit the suspects to the Vegapunks so I'm going along with that for now. I think Seraphim autonomy is more likely to be part of this arc's resolution or epilogue.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

jassa posted:

S-Shark was in chamber number four and we've seen chambers for five and six, so presumably there are a couple more. They might still be in development though - I think there was some comment alluding to S-Shark still being fairly new.

Perhaps chamber six contains the angriest, most demanding and awful hell-baby to ever exist. Wearing outrageous shades and a pink feather boa.

Realistically though I doubt Vegapunk was allowed to clone a Celestial Dragon, even a disgraced former one.

To address your main point, it's certainly likely there's something more going on with the Seraphim, but Oda really seems to want to limit the suspects to the Vegapunks so I'm going along with that for now. I think Seraphim autonomy is more likely to be part of this arc's resolution or epilogue.

Would S-Croc lend credence to a certain fan theory? Would S-Lizard be completely worthless without an army of stolen shadows? Would there have been enough time for the development of an S-Tiger or the terrifying S-Bug, or are the seraphim grown in real time, leaving those two toddlers at best? Is this where Boney comes in?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

ZiegeDame posted:

Would S-Croc lend credence to a certain fan theory? Would S-Lizard be completely worthless without an army of stolen shadows? Would there have been enough time for the development of an S-Tiger or the terrifying S-Bug, or are the seraphim grown in real time, leaving those two toddlers at best? Is this where Boney comes in?

Yes.
It'd be S-Gecko, and yes probably, unless they were given a different devil fruit.
Doubt there'd be Law or Weevil seraphim, especially if Weevil is genetically engineered already (as many people suspect). That said, it's confirmed seraphim go through an accelerated growth process.
Bonney's age manipulation is only temporary.

Edit: gently caress, Moira's devil fruit power being in play could help explain why the traitor wanted to keep a bunch of people alive but locked up for weeks/months...

jassa fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 27, 2023

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
S-Croc wouldn't be as terrifying as Crocodile since they still haven't copied Logia powers.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mraagvpeine posted:

S-Croc wouldn't be as terrifying as Crocodile since they still haven't copied Logia powers.

ALso a tiny child smoking a large cigar would be comically adorable and not as threatening

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
it's actually S-Bat, since gekko means moonlight and the animal name part is gek[ko mori]a - komori is bat, to go along with his entire dracula thing

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Mister Olympus posted:

it's actually S-Bat, since gekko means moonlight and the animal name part is gek[ko mori]a - komori is bat, to go along with his entire dracula thing

Wait, doesn't Komori mean something, too?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I always thought it was weird that his name was Gekko but it’s been a pun this whole time, wild

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Say, why just the Warlords? Why not clone Marines?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They made a Seraphim Garp and he just told Vegapunk to gently caress off and went to steal crackers from Sengoku.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Mraagvpeine posted:

Depends. Does Weevil have Whitebeard's Conqueror's Haki?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mraagvpeine posted:

My thought is that the process of cloning people/reproducing their devil fruit powers requires submitting to experimentation that is not pleasant - perhaps Vegapunk was only (interested/allowed?) to do it on captured criminals.

This might be why he was specifically so interested in gaining Luffy's aid - he might be one of the only big time pirates that he hasn't already personally made an enemy of.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My wild guess: Pythagoras is the traitor and he bypassed the brain upload by uploading the data logs from his body and not his head, which is his true form. He ordered S-Snake to destroy the body to get rid of the evidence and make himself appear to be a victim. I base this on nothing concrete.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Bleck posted:

My thought is that the process of cloning people/reproducing their devil fruit powers requires submitting to experimentation that is not pleasant - perhaps Vegapunk was only (interested/allowed?) to do it on captured criminals.

This might be why he was specifically so interested in gaining Luffy's aid - he might be one of the only big time pirates that he hasn't already personally made an enemy of.

vegapunk already reproduced kizaru's devil fruit powers to some extent (the earlier pacifistas had his lasers) but he indicated that fully recreating logias is very difficult and it's not clear if he actually got further than that

lih fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 28, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Blackbeard is a Seraphim failed experiment by Vegapunk, which is why he can have two Devil Fruits.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

hatty posted:

I always thought it was weird that his name was Gekko but it’s been a pun this whole time, wild

It definitely is a double pun bc of his Tokage attack too. (Which by itself is a pun as Tokage means lizard but the last two syllables also mean Shadow)

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2023-02-27/eiichiro-oda-asks-chatgpt-to-write-the-next-one-piece-chapter/.195350

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zoro is the alien

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mraagvpeine posted:

Because it's a WG program that was designed to replace the Warlord system. Vegapunk is essentially just a military contractor, and the people coming up with the ideas for the program are locked into a propaganda rather than imaginative mindset.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

quote:

"Robin's role will also be important. Readers will want to pay attention to her knowledge and actions."

Oda then replied: "Sorry, this is boring. Could you please present a more interesting idea?"

:negative:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lmao

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the traitor is the alien

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

lol, gently caress that’s a good pun.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I wish I was even remotely capable of the insane nested puns Oda puts into every single name, like how does he even think of all this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Love that the AI that drew Luffy vs. Lucci for Oda was apparently Carrot all along :3:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I can see the Youtube theory videos now
ENELS BACK CONFIRMED

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Here's a video that's got everything known about the Live Action so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_peZS_jxo

Hell of a Zoro joke, and I can't wait for Netflix to make the news for canceling the most expensive show they've ever made after 1 season.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Drakkel posted:

I wish I was even remotely capable of the insane nested puns Oda puts into every single name, like how does he even think of all this.

I feel like Japanese has a bigger capacity for puns than English.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
one piece is a space ship

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Electric Phantasm posted:

As a Yu-Gi-Oh fan this immediately made me think of Manjoume Sanda from GX and what a colossal translation headache of a pun his name and catch-phrase are.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is Nisioisin's bread and butter and it's made him the bane of translators everywhere

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Soul_StormOP/status/1630317069529907202?s=19

He rocks it tbh

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I didn't know Yama'bro had a second name.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Gyges posted:

I didn't know Yama'bro had a second name.
it's uhhh not a name.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

lmao at the usual poo poo rear end One Piece fans using this as another excuse to misgender Yamato, because "Oiran is exclusively used for FEMALES"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Here's a whole album of the What If series that image is a part of.

https://imgur.com/a/kOk1j5W

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Great art, but man those Twitter replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Here's a whole album of the What If series that image is a part of.

https://imgur.com/a/kOk1j5W

Goddamn that gum gum Zoro is rad as heck.