Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

I wonder if that one question the reporter redacted from their interview with Gege because they felt it was too spoilerly will ever get published.

It was what Sukuna was interested in Megumi for. And it seems it was to make him his new body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Oxxidation posted:

his hair was later revised to the same color as sukuna’s

Interesting. Do you (or anyone reading) think this has relevance? I know the Brought to You By doesn't see a resemblance but I definitely do imo. We know for a fact now (or at least with 90% certainty) that Yuji is from the Heian era in some way, same as Sukuna, so paternal lineage is possible, or a clone? The specifics are unclear.

It's also somewhat possible that Yuji is from before the Heian era, due to the fact that Druv was an incarnated sorcerer and was alive decades before the Heian era started, if I remember right, so it's possible that Yuji may have even set off the Heian era in some way, was made inactive in some way, and held by Kenjaku until this very timeline. Kenjaku has called Yuji the Eye of the Storm of a new world, and he doesn't say that poo poo casually. We also know that strong sorcerers being born can flip the entire society on its head- after all, this entire re-emergence of Heian is almost entirely precipitated by Satoru Gojo being born. It is implied that his birth changed the entire balance of the world, and his ascendence in particular vs. Toji is implied to have more or less set off the entire story up until now.

Yuji's dad seems like he will play a pivotal part in the understanding of Kenjaku's motivations; We know that Kenjaku specifically mated with Yuji's dad for some reason, we just don't know exactly what. His genes? His Curse Technique? Like Sukuna infers, whatever it is, it's going to be gross.

At the same time, Kenjaku has been very clear that the other death painting wombs are failures, but he has so much respect for Yuji that he almost has some kind of paternal love for him. That must mean his potential is absurd, since Kenjaku only admires strength. Which is why he has nothing but disappointment for Choso even though he's pretty boss in his own right.

So we can be sure at this point that Yuji is re-blossoming as the central part of the story after being largely absent for the Culling Games, and he is set to be one of the strongest. So strong, in fact, that he could surpass Gojo, which would probably mean (putting on my narrative writer cap for a moment) that Gojo dies to Sukuna along the way. This is something that Gojo implied about him in the beginning of the story, and we know Gojo can see people's potential with the Six Eyes. He probably knew something about Yuji that he didn't reveal, and it may be along the same lines as what his grandpa tried to tell him before he passed in the hospital.

And, since the official translation is out, we can be sure of the dialogue. Unfortunately I actually liked the scan translation more than the official one, but theyr'e both really good.

It's going to be a long wait to see the next chapter. I haven't been this hype on JJK since Shibuya.

That also brings up another point, is this the final part of the Culling arc? I don't know what to think about the culling games arc, if it ends soon, it will be by far the shittiest arc in the series. I did go back and read it, and it definitely flows better if you binge it vs. weekly, but it's felt a bit like a hiatus where Gege just mashes figurines together. Though the fights were pretty fuego, especially Hikari vs Kashimo (even if Kashimo's destiny is pretty obviously to get bodied by Sukuna and probably with his own element, like Jogo).

We could be in the final payoff stages of the arc, in which case, it could end up being a pretty dope arc but it has a lot of ground to make up if it's going to be anywhere NEAR as hype as Shibuya Incident. Gege plays the long game though, and whatever he's setting up for the next arc - likely a clash between literal gods of Jujutsu - should be a banger.

Right now it's looking like the culling games arc will end with Sukuna getting his body back, along with whatever fallout occurs from Tengen being absorbed.

e: another possibility is that the Culling Game was, partially, to give Yuji himself more power, as Kenjaku has been clear from the beginning that the culling games have several distinct purposes and that some of those purposes are not revealed. That would square with Yuji getting his giant power-up now that Tengen has been brought under control. Though it feels equally probable that Yuji was being held back by Sukuna; we know that holding another soul in your own takes a lot of effort, so with Sukuna gone, he may just have more power to use.

Regardless, any power-ups that occur right now are highly suspicious and may have to do with the culmination of the Culling Games themselves. After all, we know that their purpose is partially to confer power to certain entities that are not fully understood yet. I assume the current arc ends when Sukuna's body is created from the bath that Uraume and Kenjaku are preparing for him.

That's also nice for Megumi fans as the bath, combined with the fact that Megumi is currently capping Sukuna's power, mean with almost sure certainty that Megumi will remain in the story. He will also reach his full potential at that time, as Sukuna is basically training him right now.

That's actually an interesting side point; Sukuna has, intentionally or not, been training multiple people. Yuji and Megumi specifically. So he may have a longer term goal regarding that, and it may be a vow with Kenjaku. I also think that we'll at some point see Geto's body returned to him, but don't have quite enough evidence to start yammerin' about that yet. If Geto does come back, it would imply imo that Gojo and Geto will fight together, and ultimately be splatted, by Sukuna.

That would be a great way to tie up both character's arcs, considering the huge plot point in Hidden Inventory that Gojo AND Geto are the strongest pre-awaken, and the whole "Gojo loses his only friend and is now lonely at the top and kind of a monster" vibe that was inferred at the time. As Gege was very careful to have Gojo say "we are the strongest" then later the famous panel where Gojo states that he is the sole god of Jujutsu. Having that come full circle and having both Gojo and Geta die heroically, likely to accomplish some larger task in the laundry list to kill Sukuna, would be a good send off with plenty of narrative backstory and foreshadowing.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 26, 2023

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Official is out and whoooooo boy let's start the speculation about what Sukuna is talking about in regards to yuji being from that time... Idk, it doesn't really feel like yuji is a reincarnated sorcerer, it feels more like he is just straight up from the past.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the unabonger posted:

Official is out and whoooooo boy let's start the speculation about what Sukuna is talking about in regards to yuji being from that time... Idk, it doesn't really feel like yuji is a reincarnated sorcerer, it feels more like he is just straight up from the past.

I don't know about that. I feel like he's referring to Kenjaku giving birth lol

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
How many fingers was Itadori on at this point? I think it'd be pretty hillarious if this boils down to Sukuna thinking he was the one massively empowering Yuji but it turns out the Sukuna buff was only for x20% instead of x60+%, and the leftover potential is from Yuji being Kenjaku's bouncing baby boy

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

TheHan posted:

That does make sense, and parallels Gojo’s existence and how it influenced sorcerer development which is really cool. Tho since Yuji is my boy i’m holding out hope that he possesses an x factor that’ll make sukuna look stupid for underestimating him. I wanna see Sukuna in the same spot Mahito was in at the end of Shibuya.

Oh my god yes give it to momma we're so close.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Taima posted:

Interesting. Do you (or anyone reading) think this has relevance? I know the Brought to You By doesn't see a resemblance but I definitely do imo. We know for a fact now (or at least with 90% certainty) that Yuji is from the Heian era in some way, same as Sukuna, so paternal lineage is possible, or a clone? The specifics are unclear.
You have me confused with MonsterEnvy.

quote:

Yuji's dad seems like he will play a pivotal part in the understanding of Kenjaku's motivations; We know that Kenjaku specifically mated with Yuji's dad for some reason, we just don't know exactly what. His genes? His Curse Technique? Like Sukuna infers, whatever it is, it's going to be gross.

If we take the current chapter at face value I don't think Yuji himself has to be related to Sukuna if he's an incarnated sorcerer. His host body could be related to Sukuna via Yuji's paternal lineage. But he could have just been a 10th cursed womb painting Kenjaku refined for this particular experiment.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Seems like his dad had the lineage but was devoted solely to Kaori. Kenjaku might've been involved in her death if that's the case, it's way too coincidental. I wonder if she was a normal person born with a cursed technique but her brain didn't have the capacity to use cursed energy, like Junpei. Kenjaku's body-swapping technique replaces the brain, so that'd be one way around it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Idle thought and speculation: the death paintings are self-aware cursed objects that are implanted in and absorb hosts to become fully fledged beings that are hybrid cursed spirit sorcerers. Yuji isn’t a 10th cursed womb Death painting, but somethi g Kenjaku made from the lessons he learned the inverse of one: a purpose built host that absorbs the power of cursed objects, in this case specifically sukuna. He’s not an incarnated sorcerer, but a being designed to eat incarnated sorcerers if they were to try and take him over and absorb the power of cursed objects and spirits. He’s the evolved human that Kenjaku is trying to make, or rather the prototype of it.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Yuji has a lot of qualities that could plausibly be the result of a heavenly restriction. He's somehow more physically gifted than pre-awakened Maki, while also retaining incredible levels of CE control judging from how many black flashes he can chain. There's also his capacity as a vessel, which seems to be similar to another heavenly-restricted person we know

Heavenly restrictions can overpower cursed techniques, probably even Sukuna's.

Heavenly Restrictions are described as binding vows placed on a sorcerer's body when they are born. Twins are treated as the same person in jujutsu: Maki & Mai are monozygotic monoamniotic twins meaning they shared the same placenta, where the umbilical cord is attached

If they're just binding vows, who is determining the contract's terms and who is accepting them? The mother is also connected to her child by her umbilical cord - this might be how Kenjaku as Kaori was able to place some sort of heavenly restriction on Yuji at birth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Megumi suspected he was the exact same as Maki when he first saw Yuji. Cause he also had normal Cursed Energy levels and could not see Curses.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

yum posted:

If they're just binding vows, who is determining the contract's terms and who is accepting them? The mother is also connected to her child by her umbilical cord - this might be how Kenjaku as Kaori was able to place some sort of heavenly restriction on Yuji at birth.
My only thought to add to this is whether a heavenly restriction can be created by a mortal. Broadly speaking binding vows enforce conduct on one or all parties to the pact. Heavenly restrictions are all about some aspect of a persons state being abnormal in exchange for a massive boost in compensation in others. Mechamaru was given a crippled body but also born with a larger than normal capacity for cursed energy and also had the puppetry CT which I don't think is a coincidence. Toji was born without any cursed energy and instead given a godly body and once Mai sacrifices herself Maki is able to similarly fully inherit their heavenly restriction.

I'd be more inclined to think that Kenjaku had a way of knowing what combination of factors would lead to a heavenly restriction and that's another reason he sought out Yuji's dad and also his mother. There is definitely the argument for genetics being a component since the Zen'nin clan brought about two curseless monsters within generations of each other.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
"You're from that time..." is Sukuna remembering that time he hosed some girl. Yuji is Sukuna's descendant, hence Sukuna being all what the gently caress Kenjaku you are sick.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I Am Fowl posted:

"You're from that time..." is Sukuna remembering that time he hosed some girl. Yuji is Sukuna's descendant, hence Sukuna being all what the gently caress Kenjaku you are sick.

Sukuna explicitly had no children.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

yum posted:

Heavenly restrictions can overpower cursed techniques, probably even Sukuna's.

I believe it all depends on the terms of the heavenly restrictions. Idle Transfiguration got around Kokichi's heavenly restrictions of a frail body.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

A weird part about Yuji is that he did multiple extremely specific things that would have made Kenjaku's plans hard or impossible otherwise.

First of all, it is implied more than once that Kenjaku set up the situation where Yuji ate the first finger, in the school. An almost impossible situation (how do you MAKE someone eat a loving finger on accident), but it was instrumental to Kenjaku's plan.

If Yuji hadn't eaten that first finger, there would have been no one to actually hurt Mahito, besides Nobura, but she wasn't strong enough to say the least, to hunt and ultimately exorcise Mahito the way Yuji did.

Therefore he wouldn't have been exorcised, therefore he wouldn't have been refined by his fighting with Yuji to get strong enough to reach max strength Idol Transfiguration. Kenjaku says that during the scene where he absorbs Mahito. He directly implies that without Yuji being there to be a foil for Mahito, he never would have grown strong enough to be a part of the broader "remote transfiguration" plan in the first place.

Then of course there would be no one to start the chain that brings back Sukuna. Sure, Sukuna can choose his vessel, but presumably needed Yuji to "get the ball rolling" so he could have a place for his soul to start enacting things and ultimately becoming strong enough, after more fingers, to switch bodies.

Kenjaku directly orchestrates everything Yuji does in the entire show, and somehow knows what he'll do in each situation. There's like five different parts of Kenjaku's plan that Yuji is the foundation of.

Now, Yuji is beginning to be a direct foil to Sukuna, which again, is completely in line with Kanjaku's plan for everyone to fight and get stronger and reach a new pinnacle of humanity. If Sukuna didn't have a foil it wouldn't be good for Kenjaku; ultimately Kenny doesn't want everyone to die; he has his own goals that go both ways, as the two sides need to be equivalent enough to perform the ritualistic fighting he requires.

Kenjaku not having a "side" per se is an interesting part of his character that goes beyond what we're talking about. He's not really a classic villain, but that's for another day.

I strongly believe that Yuji is related to Sukuna in some way; I've heard a rumor that he could be Sukuna's humanity, that he shed when he became half curse. Maybe they're literally related. Maybe there's just designed as direct foils for each other.

Regardless, the fact remains that Kenjaku has micro-managed every single moment of Yuji's life so far, in a way that is kind of unexplainable and impossible. How that control is occurring hasn't been revealed yet but it's coming imo. Kenny calls Yuji "the eye of the storm" and so far, he's totally right. I wonder how he's pulling the strings cuz it sure seems like he does whatever Kenjaku wants 100% of the time. And it's not like, top level strategy; he's making Yuji do extremely specific and impossible things like eating a finger out of nowhere that suggests some kind of direct, almost fate-based control.

He knew that Yuji was going to eat that first finger... there's literally no backup plan if he doesn't.

I think a lot of people get wrapped up in "Kenjaku made Yuji to be a vessel for Sukuna" and think of his role as secondary, but if anything I think it's becoming clear that Sukuna is the optional part of this plan, NOT the other way around.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 27, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
idk the vibe i get is more that kenjaku has a whole lot of plates spinning at any one time and he's flexible enough with his plans that he can manage if some plans/experiments don't work out, rather than yuji being absolutely crucial to everything

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sukuna explicitly had no children.

unless the author has decided otherwise

like the thing about when you're writing something is that you can do whatever you want and you're definitely not iron clad beholden to something you said in an interview years ago or even something you wrote in the chapter immediately previous. you can change your mind. you can even have just lied

Patware fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 28, 2023

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Like, was the "no kids" thing stated in the manga or in supplemental material?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think it was written in a data book. Character wise I think it would be strange for Sukuna to have kids. He could have had nieces and nephews though or some other relation.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Really liked the chapter and I don’t think Angel is out of it yet. Echoing those sentiments generally about cool women being dunked on though. At this rate Gojo will lose after Kenjaku uses gender swap gas no jutsu.

Pretty curious about Sukuna comments on Yuji and Kenjaku. Lots of interesting theories but it’s so tantalisingly vague. He better start spitting next chapter.

I had always thought Sukuna’s fire was a response to Jogo’s fire. So I’d been thinking the true nature of his CT was able to copy or mimic or something lol. Seems pretty clear reading the thread it’s a reference to his three weapons (two blades and a bow) and the fire element just happened to match. Oh well!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We actually see the second Finger Bearer use the Bow Ability against Megumi.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

lih posted:

idk the vibe i get is more that kenjaku has a whole lot of plates spinning at any one time and he's flexible enough with his plans that he can manage if some plans/experiments don't work out, rather than yuji being absolutely crucial to everything
Same, this is just the perfect time for a number of Kenjaku's plans because in this era he got access to soul manipulation via Mahito and the ability to use that technique by using Geto as a host. Otherwise he'd probably have been laying low as without Geto there's no weakness in Gojo he could exploit and he's already lost once to a member of Gojo's clan. He's have been sitting on the culling game until Gojo died of old age more than likely, just plugging away at more experiments and prepping more.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I’m super apathetic about Angel getting dunked since she’s barely a character and her connection to Megumi felt really weird and shoehorned in but Yuki losing to Kenjaku was probably the worst fight in the series.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

I think it was written in a data book. Character wise I think it would be strange for Sukuna to have kids. He could have had nieces and nephews though or some other relation.

i think it'd be strange for sukuna to have raised a kid

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

EmmyOk posted:

Eh, data books are quite often straight up wrong or inaccurate with stuff that's been explicitly stated in manga, let alone with additional info, I wouldn't recommend putting any stock in them for predicting future plot beats.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

I’m super apathetic about Angel getting dunked since she’s barely a character and her connection to Megumi felt really weird and shoehorned in but Yuki losing to Kenjaku was probably the worst fight in the series.

It was mostly good until the MY FINAL TECHNIQUE never mind moment.

Also there’s no way in hell Angel is gone. She has another soul inside her like Yuji, who specifically is targeting sukuna. Gege has a bad record with ladies getting dunked on, but I fully expect Angel to pop back with reverse curse tech.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 28, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Is there a premium edition of JJK manga?

I don't collect manga, I use an ipad. I don't think normal, non-premium manga is a good experience, bad paper stock, panels getting clipped by the spine... but I do in rare cases grab premium sets.

So far I have all of the Soul Eater perfect hardcover editions, and Berserk hard cover premium edition from 1-11. Would love to add JJK to that list but I don't really know much about physical manga.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Taima posted:

Is there a premium edition of JJK manga?

I don't collect manga, I use an ipad. I don't think normal, non-premium manga is a good experience, bad paper stock, panels getting clipped by the spine... but I do in rare cases grab premium sets.

So far I have all of the Soul Eater perfect hardcover editions, and Berserk hard cover premium edition from 1-11. Would love to add JJK to that list but I don't really know much about physical manga.

Not yet. I read digitally for the same reasons. If it gets one it’ll be after it finished I imagine. Maybe a single set deal like the OP boxsets. A signature edition like those fma ones would be lovely or even the dorohedoro or Ping Pong ones would own

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

drat ok thanks man. I really like dorohedoro and hope it gets a season 2 in anime form. Could you do me a solid and link to the Dorohedoro hardcovers?

Anyways! FIRE chapter this week. ----Don't unlock this if you don't want spoilers----

Maki entrance, 2v1 Sukuna and throw hands, then Uruame arrives on a sweet Kenny cursed flying fish, freezes everyone again, and they are off to the bath on Nue finally, after of course stopping to talk poo poo about Yuji having zero rizz (which is becoming a real pattern) :boom: interestingly, an entirely new spell from Sukuna, but looks like it might be a modified version of his knife moves.

Mirror panel of Toji's stance and Maki's stance, further confirming that Maki is finally as strong as a man (ty for making this a major plot point Gege, man you can be wack sometimes) after much trials and tribulations:

Uruame dropping that Hello Fresh / is on one:

Getting ready for the bath:

Lots more but I'm not gonna sit here and post everything. Cheers!

It’s also some kind of anniversary or something for JJK so there are colored/extra cool paneling/double panels etc.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 1, 2023

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I read manga

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I will wait to actually read the manga instead of reading what another guy thought about it

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I will wait to actually read the manga instead of reading what another guy thought about it

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Holy poo poo… that’s just crazy enough to work

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's a dope plan

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Taima posted:

all that

please don't do this before a translation drops

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5655/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-215?&date=3-3-2023-5

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
God the kids need to get a win so fuckin bad. :(

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sukuna wouldn't be laughing if Takabe had shown up instead of Maki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I have to admit I'm enjoying just how much of unrepentant rear end in a top hat Sukuna is being and

"Bring me up to speed"
"Kill him"

Is a real cool exchange.