Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

gileadexile posted:

At this point I wake up every day and sometime, at some point in the day, I wonder if today will be the day we get absolute confirmation.

I think the nature of this phenomena is such that we will never get absolute confirmation

and definitely not from the US fucken' government

(although it depends what you mean by absolute confirmation - after all, you've actually seen one with your own eyes, which is a lot more than I have!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I miss living in the countryside where there were so many stars in the night sky.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Petey posted:

okay it's pretty funny that twitter + this thread looked at two planets and thought they must be UFOs. not a genuine lmao but an earnest lqtm

It was one random Twitter post and one other goon post who immediately recanted when shown an article lol.

Non thread regs are haughty.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You know you're in for a worthwhile and intelligent post when you see the words 'this thread'

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
sending gratitude to the mysterious wanderers in the sky

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Projecting gratitude to this thread

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I desire to see the nat geo series. I do not desire signing up for Hulu

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Slavvy posted:

You know you're in for a worthwhile and intelligent post when you see the words 'this thread'

:c00lbutt:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Demilich posted:

Look, I'm not endorsing pirating but you have to ask yourself how much that would really matter if everything in the docuseries is true.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Here's a weird one - I've noticed an uptick (or perhaps am just more cognizant of it lately) in what, to me, appear to be obvious bot or trollfarm accounts shitposting underneath notable Ufological figures.

For example, this firstname stringofnumbers lastname account I found the other night drive-by posting at Diana Pasulka using the name and profile picture of the former head of the East German secret police lol.

It's an interesting mental exercise to try and come up with a list of actors or groups that would even bother to focus smearing such a niche interest or group of folks, and something I'm tempted to look into further.

Greenstreet that you?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Objurium posted:

Here's a weird one - I've noticed an uptick (or perhaps am just more cognizant of it lately) in what, to me, appear to be obvious bot or trollfarm accounts shitposting underneath notable Ufological figures.

For example, this firstname stringofnumbers lastname account I found the other night drive-by posting at Diana Pasulka using the name and profile picture of the former head of the East German secret police lol.

It's an interesting mental exercise to try and come up with a list of actors or groups that would even bother to focus smearing such a niche interest or group of folks, and something I'm tempted to look into further.

Greenstreet that you?

not enough racism to be Greenstreet

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

not enough racism to be Greenstreet

Maybe not overtly but the rest of that account is posts complaining about WOKE FIFA etc so it's in the same ballpark lol.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Riot Bimbo posted:

i watched the moon with jupiter+venus the other night and it was pretty cool and yeah those bodies are obv. moving relative to the rest of the night sky. if you view through some tree branches or another fixed point with some kind of foreground reference it's impossible to miss

i actually look at the stars now and have been for a while so it's pretty funny to think they could be mistaken for UAP, like 100% y'all need to be enjoying the sky if you can.

ofc when i return to the seattle area soon, there are basically no reliable views even when the light polution doesn't smother out the sky almost completely so it'll mostly be minding them by other means

still yall should know how to identify your planets and stars 100%

Long ago while Jupiter was in the sky, very close to earth, a buddy handed me a pair of binoculars and told me to point them at Jupiter.

I was blown away to see you can clearly view Jupiter's satellites with nothing but binoculars.

nightbird
Dec 29, 2021
You can't change the volume in my dreams

Hooplah posted:

Projecting gratitude to this thread

This.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

if you can't watch the new Leslie Kean UFO doc because you live outside America this account has some interesting posts about it at least!

https://twitter.com/wow36932525

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Long ago while Jupiter was in the sky, very close to earth, a buddy handed me a pair of binoculars and told me to point them at Jupiter.

I was blown away to see you can clearly view Jupiter's satellites with nothing but binoculars.

You can see a couple of them with the naked eye if it's an extremely clear night and you know how to look around your blind spot. Similarly, you don't need that powerful a telescope to image the rings of Saturn. I can't remember the specs on the thing but a guy I know brought some scope to the park some years back and let people look through it; you could clearly see the separation between the rings and the planet body. My camera's 600mm telephoto lens, plus a little bit of digital zoom, sees the planet as a pronounced ellipsoid - not quite seeing the separation of the rings but definitely that they're there.

I think it's wild that we're still discovering new moons of Jupiter. Just a month ago they discovered 12 more, which puts the count at like 90.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Leave it to Jove to always have more kids than previously thought.

nightbird
Dec 29, 2021
You can't change the volume in my dreams
had sex with a particularly comely rock and created a moon would be extremely on brand

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Why on earth did they make any of this public.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Inspector Hound posted:

Why on earth did they make any of this public.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah the wild intensity of that week punctuated by the shutdown feels like the loudest confirmation that Something's Up of the last few years, and despite all the flirting with outright confirmation and an increasingly engaged public nobody's losing their minds about it.

fuckin the cow's out of the barn, just show us the cow debris, we promise not to poo poo ourselves

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Objurium posted:

Greenstreet that you?

at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Musk himself wasn't setting bots out on trending topics just to juice engagement numbers

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

gotta roll things out slowly for the majority of slow people

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hell yeah I'm a UFO guy

Unethical, Fat, Old

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

Anyone talk about how actually the US military is a clownshow of incompetence where they got owned by the gyna balloon and followed it up by going sicko mode on a couple weather balloons because they have no idea what they are doing and overcompensated?

I'm pretty sure they were ordered to start shooting down weather balloons after a few days of media coverage that was all "why don't we shoot everything down all the time?".

Military leadership most likely didn't want to do it because it's monumentally expensive to fly jets and launch ordinance, and if we made it the standard reaction, we would be burning through mountains of resources to accomplish what, exactly?

Would be funny if we decided to shoot all balloons down forever and you could force us to waste millions by buying, inflating, and releasing weather balloons.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Riot Bimbo posted:

i watched the moon with jupiter+venus the other night and it was pretty cool and yeah those bodies are obv. moving relative to the rest of the night sky. if you view through some tree branches or another fixed point with some kind of foreground reference it's impossible to miss

i actually look at the stars now and have been for a while so it's pretty funny to think they could be mistaken for UAP, like 100% y'all need to be enjoying the sky if you can.

ofc when i return to the seattle area soon, there are basically no reliable views even when the light polution doesn't smother out the sky almost completely so it'll mostly be minding them by other means

still yall should know how to identify your planets and stars 100%

yeah that's like step 2 after "is it a plane"

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

flag is backwards

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I'm pretty sure they were ordered to start shooting down weather balloons after a few days of media coverage that was all "why don't we shoot everything down all the time?".

Military leadership most likely didn't want to do it because it's monumentally expensive to fly jets and launch ordinance, and if we made it the standard reaction, we would be burning through mountains of resources to accomplish what, exactly?

Would be funny if we decided to shoot all balloons down forever and you could force us to waste millions by buying, inflating, and releasing weather balloons.

Hell yeah

give me a biplane and a pistol and let me at every science fair balloon threatening the Canadian/US border.

I'll be an ace

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
How much parallax in planetary position is there by geographical location?

What I mean is that all of those reports about 'two parallel lights stationary in the sky' seemed to come from around the same place, no? So if they are indeed Saturn and Venus, would you not see the same thing looking into the sky from the East coast? Or is there actually an appreciable change in perspective of the solar system based on where you are on Earth (I'm obviously talking about more than just being in the opposite hemisphere).

EDIT: Nvm, there are repies in the Twitter thread saying they can see the same thing from the other side of the continent. Question stands though, is there appreciable parallax for any objects relatively close to Earth, based on your geographical location?

Mister Speaker has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Mar 2, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shifty Nipples posted:

flag is backwards

for when he is kissing himself on the lips in the mirror

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

:sickos:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

Hell yeah I'm a UFO guy

Unethical, Fat, Old

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

What I mean is that all of those reports about 'two parallel lights stationary in the sky' seemed to come from around the same place, no? So if they are indeed Saturn and Venus, would you not see the same thing looking into the sky from the East coast? Or is there actually an appreciable change in perspective of the solar system based on where you are on Earth (I'm obviously talking about more than just being in the opposite hemisphere).

EDIT: Nvm, there are repies in the Twitter thread saying they can see the same thing from the other side of the continent. Question stands though, is there appreciable parallax for any objects relatively close to Earth, based on your geographical location?

Most reports are from US and Europe which are on close parallels so it would look the same around the same time (dusk)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

i am harry posted:

jupiter and venus are not that close to eachother from any viewpoint on the planet

powerful pre-Copernican posting

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Every time in my life when I saw a very bright stationary light low in the sky at dusk it was always Venus. 100% of the times.

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

Shifty Nipples posted:

flag is backwards

what the flying-saucer-shaped gently caress

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

no. the distance to Venus is much larger than the diameter of the Earth, it would not be a measurable effect. distance to Saturn many times larger still.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mister Speaker posted:

No because then astrology wouldn't work

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Every time in my life when I saw a very bright stationary light low in the sky at dusk it was always Venus. 100% of the times.

That's a screen memory. There's no credible evidence Venus even exists, let alone can be seen with the naked eye. I regret to inform you that every time you think you have seen Venus, that you have actually been probed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The Demilich posted:

Hulu isn't available in my country. I noticed the whole series started popping up on torrent tracker sites today, I guess after the final episode aired. Hopefully just mentioning availability doesn't break any :filez: rules.

As someone with only a passing interest in the subject it was a really good intro to the state of modern UAP research and the kind of thing I could share with people without going down the woo :tinfoil: route that watching any kind of Youtube video on the subject inevitably leads to.