Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Instant Jellyfish posted:

He's getting to the age of social maturity where many dogs no longer want to socialize with a lot of random dogs in public. Adult humans generally don't want to go play with a bunch of strangers and many adult dogs are the same. He may simply not be a dog who enjoys daycare or parks with rude dogs invading his space. Personally, I feel like those are valid needs and I would just manage him by not taking him places where dogs are going to corner him under a bench and putting him away someplace safe when you have dogs over in the house. The Control Unleashed and Behavior Adjustment Training books both have good methods for working on reactive dogs if you're concerned about him getting worse though!

Cool, I'll check out those books. Thanks!

The weird thing is he loves going to the dog park and socializing with dogs as long as he doesn't have space to defend. He loses his goddamn doggy mind on the way to day care and the only time he pulls his leash anymore is to get to their door. We used to think he was defending us but it's really the table/bed/bench or whatever he decides demarcates his spot. He will run and chase and play bow with anyone except these instances.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

My second dog really needed a crate just to be able to nap in, even at a daycare. Otherwise fine, but will go aggressive out of sleep if woken. Is he protecting the table or bench or trying to take a nap?

Aside from the one instance at day care where he was in a bed trying to nap, he is protecting and actively on guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Does he ever guard from humans, or just other dogs?

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Just other dogs. He doesn't care at all about humans when he gets fired up like this.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What're peoples' go to sites for reading up on different dog breeds?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What're peoples' go to sites for reading up on different dog breeds?

Wikipedia is honestly really awesome for this.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The AKC website is pretty good too

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

AKC (or your country's national kennel club) and wikipedia will give you a good general overview. The FCI database has more breeds than AKC but it is less potential pet owner friendly, it mostly just has the official breed standards which are kind of dry and wordy. Once you find breeds you want to learn more about you can check out the parent club, just google "[country] [breed] club" to find which one is the official parent club.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

He's getting to the age of social maturity where many dogs no longer want to socialize with a lot of random dogs in public. Adult humans generally don't want to go play with a bunch of strangers and many adult dogs are the same. He may simply not be a dog who enjoys daycare or parks with rude dogs invading his space. Personally, I feel like those are valid needs and I would just manage him by not taking him places where dogs are going to corner him under a bench and putting him away someplace safe when you have dogs over in the house. The Control Unleashed and Behavior Adjustment Training books both have good methods for working on reactive dogs if you're concerned about him getting worse though!

We went through this with Sherlock. Honestly, he was never a dog park dog but when we moved to our new apartment we started to encounter more and more dogs. Unfortunately, most of those dogs are poorly socialized and have bad boundaries. My partner and I have learned to avoid most interactions through management. It kinda sucks because he really used to love to say hi to other dogs but aside from the rare obvious case, you can never tell when an interaction is going to go bad. Unless he's asking we just take a maximalist approach and avoid everyone. Our walks have become soo much more peaceful and he's so much calmer.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The AKC website is pretty good too

I'm partial to weratedogs

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So got my dog some bones from the butchers for the first time. I didn't want to start off with anything to big so they aren't small but they aren't huge either. Think they are pelvic bones.

(Bananas for scale)

She was happily picking at the left over bits on it, I went to the toilet and came back 5 minutes later and this thing was gone. She had annihilated it, should I be concerned? I didn't realise she was gonna chunk bits off it so easily.

These were sold as bones for dogs, but maybe I got ones intended for small dogs and now I'm concerned about her digestion.

Edit
Never mind she's barfed it all up anyway. Lesson learnt.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 4, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Bones are cheap but I just don't like bothering with them because I'm going to spend the whole time worried he's going to eat them.

Bully sticks are the easy to go, raw hide chews are supposed to be bad but they're cheaper and brisket's predecessor never had any issues

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Mega Comrade posted:

So got my dog some bones from the butchers for the first time. I didn't want to start off with anything to big so they aren't small but they aren't huge either. Think they are pelvic bones.

(Bananas for scale)

She was happily picking at the left over bits on it, I went to the toilet and came back 5 minutes later and this thing was gone. She had annihilated it, should I be concerned? I didn't realise she was gonna chunk bits off it so easily.

These were sold as bones for dogs, but maybe I got ones intended for small dogs and now I'm concerned about her digestion.

Edit
Never mind she's barfed it all up anyway. Lesson learnt.

Yup I have the :ohdear: "did she just eat that bone?" with my own dog. I gave her lambs ear when we first got her, but now she's bigger I give her beef/cow ears. Keeps her occupied for ages and it's adorable watching her find somewhere in the house to stash it when she wants to save it for later. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I've paid for too many tooth removals from slab fractures (2 at ~$360-500 each) due to bones to ever feed them again. Never weight-bearing bones again in my house.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've paid for too many tooth removals from slab fractures (2 at ~$360-500 each) due to bones to ever feed them again. Never weight-bearing bones again in my house.

Our vet (who is also a dog dentist) said never give your dog anything you can’t dent with your fingernail.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HootTheOwl posted:

Bully sticks are the easy to go, raw hide chews are supposed to be bad but they're cheaper and brisket's predecessor never had any issues

fwiw I recently found a brand called Better Belly that’s supposed to be raw hide but super easy to digest. My dogs love them and when they get wet they turn super mushy so they don’t worry me at all. Might be worth a try for anyone looking for something similar.

Are bully sticks generally safe and recommended? I’ve thought about trying them before.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are bully sticks generally safe and recommended? I’ve thought about trying them before.

My vet said no and I’m actually ok with that because they are fuckin expensive lol.

The better belly stuff seems ok? I think it’s still partially raw hide or something though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Why did your vet say no?

They smell and are costly is what our problems with them are

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bully sticks are ok as long as your dog doesn't chomp them down to little choking sizes then try to swallow them whole. I like beef cheek rolls which are supposed to be easier to digest than rawhide. My dogs also go wild for the nylabone hoofs. None of them care for the regular nylabones but the hoof ones are a hot item around here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Why did your vet say no?

They smell and are costly is what our problems with them are

She said even those are too hard :shrug:

She’s a dog dentist so I trust what she says.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s interesting and a good bit soulcrushing when you step back and realize 90% of things “made for dogs” are a 50/50 split of low standards/good marketing. It’s unfortunate.

On a positive note I’ve noticed that Target has started selling individual toys from BarkBox. I’m subscription averse so I never really took it seriously. After buying a few of them though I’m in love with what they’re doing. They’re really well designed and built toys. Super cute and amusing for the owner and the dogs go crazy for them. There’s a good variety too for various sorts of chewers and different playstyles.

That’s the one I got last night. The “chips” pull out a bit so you can stuff treats down in it and shove the chip part back in. The entire thing has a nice crinkle and the base has a squeaker.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 4, 2023

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s interesting and a good bit soulcrushing when you step back and realize 90% of things “made for dogs” are a 50/50 split of low standards/good marketing. It’s unfortunate.

On a positive note I’ve noticed that Target has started selling individual toys from BarkBox. I’m subscription averse so I never really took it seriously. After buying a few of them though I’m in love with what they’re doing. They’re really well designed and built toys. Super cute and amusing for the owner and the dogs go crazy for them. There’s a good variety too for various sorts of chewers and different playstyles.

That’s the one I got last night. The “chips” pull out a bit so you can stuff treats down in it and shove the chip part back in. The entire thing has a nice crinkle and the base has a squeaker.

I love Bark toys! They've gotten huge so you can find them at all sorts of places now but the best variety is straight from their website: https://barkshop.com/

The super chewer line holds up really well and they have a good variety of stuff from kong-likes to balls to stuff to just gnaw on. Scout's favorite toy in the world, the corn to run toy, was from bark. The rip and reveal toys are also very popular but I can't have cloth toys around with my foster in the house because he eats everything.

I also really like sodapup's stuff for similar reasons:
https://sodapup.com/

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Well that was a…very suboptimal way to start a 5k trail race with Pongo, his very first. drat clip for the leash to the belt straight up shattered when he took off. Thankfully I was holding on to the leash to help with navigating him through the crowd so it wasn’t a complete disaster.

Gonna have to find something that I can replace the clip with. My wife discovered a couple months ago that he responds to “ready, set, GO” and just takes off hard, so the force was likely all on the slider bit.

He behaved well with other dogs around, only got leash bitey a couple of times. Very good boys get to finish the peanut butter jar.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

devmd01 posted:

Well that was a…very suboptimal way to start a 5k trail race with Pongo, his very first. drat clip for the leash to the belt straight up shattered when he took off. Thankfully I was holding on to the leash to help with navigating him through the crowd so it wasn’t a complete disaster.

Oh dang! That would be so scary. That looks like a canicross rig built for running like that so I would contact the company and see if they'll replace it or at least warn them that some of their clips aren't as sturdy as they should be.

Scout had such an excellent herding lesson this week. I'm so proud of my clever swine.

For reference, at herding she is very one-sided. She'll go away/counterclockwise all day but ask her to come by/go clockwise and she starts zooming and biting. It's just her weaker side and she just really has trouble controlling herself on that side.

This week we were working super light sheep, which are already hard for her to control herself around, and I was asking her to come by more. Then at one point it clicked. She realized the sheep had stayed by the gate when I walked away, decided to bring them back to me on her own, started off on her strong away side, realized it would be easier to go by so switched mid-stride and then got between them and the wall at a calm trot and brought them to me.

It seems like such a little thing to go right instead of left but it takes such a huge amount of thinking for such a green dog. Our trainer thinks she could get her HT (the babiest of herding titles, besides the instinct test and farm dog which shouldn't count) at this point, although it would be ugly. I'm hoping to do either her HT or PT, not ugly, at ACDCA nationals in October!

Also there was a fresh new lamb at our lesson and I'm trying to convince the trainer to name him Scout Jr.

Scout made sure to sneak in kisses whenever she could.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

froglet posted:

it's adorable watching her find somewhere in the house to stash it when she wants to save it for later. :3:

Yeah that behaviour is adorable. Until your dog decides to try and bury his birthday cake in your bed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Do dogs get seasonal allergies? It’s heavy pollen season here and Pickwick has a bit of a runny nose and occasional wheeze/cough.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yep my dog between April and July has a runny nose and itchy skin. An over the counter antihistamine solves it, there are multiple human ones that are fine for dogs to take.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Yeah that behaviour is adorable. Until your dog decides to try and bury his birthday cake in your bed.

good hiding place :colbert:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Big Red headed to his new foster yesterday. My home was just never a good fit for him and with lambing coming up I needed him to be anywhere else. Luckily a more experienced foster stepped up and volunteered to take him so I drove 3.5 hours to meet her halfway and he was off to Maryland. It already seems like such a better place for him! He's able to be loose with their two cattle dogs and I guess is just going wild playing with everything and running around. The foster has rehabbed crazy cattle dogs before and trains/rehabilitates rescue horses for a living so she's got a great mind for a long term project. Plus she has a ton of cattle dog lover connections so she's already got a couple people in mind to potentially adopt him. I'm so happy and relieved!

Happy trails, Red. I didn't especially like you but I'm glad I could help you along to someplace better.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Big Red headed to his new foster yesterday. My home was just never a good fit for him and with lambing coming up I needed him to be anywhere else. Luckily a more experienced foster stepped up and volunteered to take him so I drove 3.5 hours to meet her halfway and he was off to Maryland. It already seems like such a better place for him! He's able to be loose with their two cattle dogs and I guess is just going wild playing with everything and running around. The foster has rehabbed crazy cattle dogs before and trains/rehabilitates rescue horses for a living so she's got a great mind for a long term project. Plus she has a ton of cattle dog lover connections so she's already got a couple people in mind to potentially adopt him. I'm so happy and relieved!

Happy trails, Red. I didn't especially like you but I'm glad I could help you along to someplace better.
thank you for this update, i'd been wondering how red was going. it's so good that he's gone somewhere that he can flourish :3: the crazy-cattledog-rehab lady and her friends sound like an amazing community, i hope red has a long and happy life. thank you so much for helping the poor creature, at a cost to your own sanity.

a certain fool just had her first birthday. i'm so glad that last year i looked at my situation, decided i was in no position to look after a working dog, and then went ahead and got one anyway. she's grown up into just the sweetest, happiest perfect idiot and friend to all, i really cannot fault her in any way, even when she's being annoying she's so funny that it's impossible to be angry with her. i love her and i'm blessed to have her.

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 13, 2023

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

a strange fowl posted:

a certain fool just had her first birthday. i'm so glad that last year i looked at my situation, decided i was in no position to look after a working dog, and then went ahead and got one anyway. she's grown up into just the sweetest, happiest perfect idiot and friend to all, i really cannot fault her in any way, even when she's being annoying she's so funny that it's impossible to be angry with her. i love her and i'm blessed to have her.

What a perfect girl :3: Happy birthday you lanky blue maniac!

March must be the month for very good cattle dogs to be born because Scout's birthday is on the 28th! Our local dock diving place is putting the finishing touches on their new indoor pool and Scout should be out of heat in time to go swimming on her birthday even though it's still snowy and cold here.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Oh noooo! Will keep in mind :ohdear:

Last week we had the dog behaviourist out to help us with Holly's over-excitement with visitors and behaviour on walks.

We got the report back yesterday, but the one thing she said she'd cover in her report and seems to have missed is how to help her become less afraid of her harness.

Right now, my partner is trying to put the harness on her. She hates it and hides in her crate from it.

I honestly do not know what to do about this. I don't want to force it on her, we're as gentle as we can possibly be when we put it on her, but she needs the harness on to go in the car.

So far we just lay the harness on the floor, toss some high quality treats next to it, and let her go out her crate and retrieve them. She hides if we're near the harness at all. :smith:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Once you get it on her maybe just leave it on for a few days or something.
Kinda like a cone, they hate it but get used to it

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

The goofy thing is that when he eventually does decide to eat his kibble he'll down his bowl in one sitting and then paws at the bowl (it's Correll and makes a loud ringing sound) until I dutifully fill it with another cup. Once refilled he takes a look to verify that yes, the bowl is again full, and walks away from it for another 24 hours.

Just like to note that I posted this nine years ago and he still loving does it

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Soooooooooo Whiskey was doing great. We had a few established routines. He was always a bit dramatic about bedtime, but aside from a few grumbles and whimpers, he would settle and snore the night away.

But he's recently turned about 5 months old.

And I think we have hit the rear end in a top hat stage.

He's stopped doing all the things he was good at and is generally being a shithead. Nipping and biting used to be re-directable, but now you can see him actively choosing NOT to do that and to be a shithead instead. He used to "help" me cook meals in the kitchen before I would give him his meal by laying down on his bed and happily gnawing on a toy and watching me. These days when I tell him to get on his bed, he will walk up to his bed, then turn and grin at me without actually getting in it (Note: He does love his bed. Will go in it whenever I don't tell him to go in his bed).

During the day he has no problems with napping in his crate. He's painfully adorable and lovely to everybody he meets. If he meets a small child, he immediately lays on his tummy, and lets them pat him. He only noses in response. Everybody compliments me on how polite and lovely he is.

WHICH HE IS.

Except to me. Unless he's deciding to be lovely to me. Then he's goddamn amazing. Best hugs. Gentle licks and nuzzles and him staring up at me with them big brown eyes.

So I don't think Whiskey is an rear end in a top hat. I think he's actively deciding: "Okay, I know what I SHOULD do, but what happens if I DON'T do that?" and therefore behaving like an rear end in a top hat.

Which makes me a sad panda because there's less time playing with the puppy and hugging the puppy and more time walking away from the puppy, correcting the puppy and not being nice to the puppy because he's being an rear end in a top hat.

And generally, if I get strict with the puppy he then is much nicer the next day.

So basically, I'm after some validation here. Is it common for puppies to turn into assholes at around 5 months whereby you have to almost re-train them? How long does the rear end in a top hat stage last?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yes: your dog is testing their boundaries.
And I hope you aren't letting them outside alone like you said you wanted to do because I hope you can imagine what would happen when your dog "chooses to be an rear end in a top hat" outside it's going to make them sick.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

H13 posted:

Soooooooooo Whiskey was doing great. We had a few established routines. He was always a bit dramatic about bedtime, but aside from a few grumbles and whimpers, he would settle and snore the night away.

But he's recently turned about 5 months old.

And I think we have hit the rear end in a top hat stage.

He's stopped doing all the things he was good at and is generally being a shithead. Nipping and biting used to be re-directable, but now you can see him actively choosing NOT to do that and to be a shithead instead. He used to "help" me cook meals in the kitchen before I would give him his meal by laying down on his bed and happily gnawing on a toy and watching me. These days when I tell him to get on his bed, he will walk up to his bed, then turn and grin at me without actually getting in it (Note: He does love his bed. Will go in it whenever I don't tell him to go in his bed).

During the day he has no problems with napping in his crate. He's painfully adorable and lovely to everybody he meets. If he meets a small child, he immediately lays on his tummy, and lets them pat him. He only noses in response. Everybody compliments me on how polite and lovely he is.

WHICH HE IS.

Except to me. Unless he's deciding to be lovely to me. Then he's goddamn amazing. Best hugs. Gentle licks and nuzzles and him staring up at me with them big brown eyes.

So I don't think Whiskey is an rear end in a top hat. I think he's actively deciding: "Okay, I know what I SHOULD do, but what happens if I DON'T do that?" and therefore behaving like an rear end in a top hat.

Which makes me a sad panda because there's less time playing with the puppy and hugging the puppy and more time walking away from the puppy, correcting the puppy and not being nice to the puppy because he's being an rear end in a top hat.

And generally, if I get strict with the puppy he then is much nicer the next day.

So basically, I'm after some validation here. Is it common for puppies to turn into assholes at around 5 months whereby you have to almost re-train them? How long does the rear end in a top hat stage last?

Yeah he’s just testing boundaries. Keep to your training and routines and you’ll be fine. It’s rough and might last a few months but just remember that on the other side of it you’ll have a best friend.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Tayter Swift posted:

Just like to note that I posted this nine years ago and he still loving does it

Jarvis does this, too. He has stainless bowls and will bang on them when they're empty. With the water, he'll drink some right away, but with the food he mostly looks at it and walks away.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I got my dog's DNA back and found out that despite not being a purebred GSD and apparently having a Husky grandparent somewhere she is hella inbred. She has the same coefficient of inbreeding as Daenerys Targaryen.

The test also found what I think is her father. No DNA test needed to tell that this is a close relative.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Gangringo posted:

I got my dog's DNA back and found out that despite not being a purebred GSD and apparently having a Husky grandparent somewhere she is hella inbred. She has the same coefficient of inbreeding as Daenerys Targaryen.
i love this satanic underworld jackal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Gangringo posted:

The test also found what I think is her father. No DNA test needed to tell that this is a close relative.

A sibling oopsie maybe? Luckily a high COI isn't dangerous for an individual dog if they've otherwise gotten clear genetic health testing. My purebred has a 30% genetic COI and like a 15-17% pedigree COI because her breeder uses linebreeding a lot to get very consistent dogs. I wouldn't personally breed that close but she's a very healthy dog and exactly what I expected to get.