Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Mega64 posted:

No clue why they didn't add more DLC though, but then again it took them forever to add DLC to Mario Kart 8 DX so...

MK8DX is an unusual situation because it was already a "base game + DLC" release of MK8, so creating *even more* DLC nearly a decade after its very original release seems unprecedent. Now that I'm thinking about it, I guess Nintendo has always been a little weird with DLC and has experimented with a bunch of different models and ideas. They're not easy to predict

I really wish the Mario Kart "model" was used for mainline Mario game, though. A new Mario kingdom / world / whatever every few months... a true gamer's dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Dogmeat posted:

maybe if it was like 20 bucks, but it's not.

it's video game tennis. that's it. and it's not an especially fun or noteworthy take on it.

Cold blooded but I respect the take

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

WarpDogs posted:

MK8DX is an unusual situation because it was already a "base game + DLC" release of MK8, so creating *even more* DLC nearly a decade after its very original release seems unprecedent. Now that I'm thinking about it, I guess Nintendo has always been a little weird with DLC and has experimented with a bunch of different models and ideas. They're not easy to predict

I really wish the Mario Kart "model" was used for mainline Mario game, though. A new Mario kingdom / world / whatever every few months... a true gamer's dream

They also probably looked around and wondered how to improve on the gameplay or advance it. And you can't. Because it's a perfect game. All you can do is release more tracks forever.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pungry posted:

I'm going to have to "well, ackshually" this one. The opening of Peach's story of Mario Superstar Baseball has Lakitu appraising Peach's team, and saying something like "woah, is that your grandfather?!" when he gets to Toadsworth before recognizing that it is Toadsworth. Toadsworth has been Peach's nanny for a long time, as seen in Partners in Time, and progressed to being her butler when she got older (Sunshine), before dying after Mario Super Sluggers.

Yeah that was what I was thinking of. I remembered him saying "And... your father?!" if he said other stuff after that that indicated Toadsworth is not her father, I don't remember. :shrug: It's been years and years since I've touched that game.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
They can improve the gameplay by finally realizing that the Lightning Bolt item sucks rear end and should be removed from the game.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Metro 2033 Redux for under $4 is a really great deal. Haven't played one of these games before....but it looks great on the Switch. So far, so good.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Bowser's Fury was totally gonna be Odyssey DLC. The area it takes place in is even referred to as a Kingdom. Considering it's visual themes of being in the ocean polluted by paint-like black sludge, it could even have originally been related to Isle Delfino. My theory would be they changed plans and moved it to 3D world when they wanted to have their Wii U games get a second chance on the Switch.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hmm, no.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
toadsworth is peach's impa

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Bowser's Fury does feel like a proof of concept for an Odyssey 2 or new 3D Mario altogether

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Think they'll ever make Mario Maker 3D?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Never

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
In 50 years when we’re all dead, Super Mario Maker 64 will be released to critical acclaim

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mandatory lesbian posted:

Got an oled switch, so look forward to the switch pro being announced within a month. I sacrificed that tax return for you

Nintendo said they were increasing production, not letting existing stocks run out; you've got about 18 months to 2.5 years.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Metro 2033 Redux for under $4 is a really great deal. Haven't played one of these games before....but it looks great on the Switch. So far, so good.

The first one is kinda meh, but Last Light really steps it up

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I never heard much about that game programming game Nintendo made after it came out, I did watch a lot of tutorials at the start despite not buying it. Seemed still pretty tricky for mild results

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I finally got my Metroid Prime yesterday. This game looks really good in places.

Khanstant posted:

I never heard much about that game programming game Nintendo made after it came out, I did watch a lot of tutorials at the start despite not buying it. Seemed still pretty tricky for mild results

It looked interesting, but I figured it wasn't going to have enough depth for me to want to mess with it like that one thing for playstation.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

what game is this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kvlt! posted:

what game is this?

Game Garage or something.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

what game is this?

Game Builder Garage.

I got like halfway through the third set of lessons? It’s cool but there’s kind of a lot of dialogue to sit through in each part. And I just never picked it back up

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
its no mario maker 2

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

American McGay posted:

Many have been saying this.

Including me!! I’ve been saying it!!!!!

nom epique posted:

Is Mario tennis aces worth a cop if I don’t know anyone else whomst has it? 1 player?

The gently caress is it with you and cops

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

nom epique posted:

Is Mario tennis aces worth a cop if I don’t know anyone else whomst has it? 1 player?

Not really. tbh the GBC version probably had the best single player.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Oooh good shout, $4 is hard to beat, I had some money left on my account so I got both just in case.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finished Metroid Prime Remastered, was surprised by how much of it I remembered but got a nice PTSD recollection of annoyance to re-learning Fission Metroids existed. Little fuckers can either eat Plasma Beam or share a Power Bomb if they split.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I'm almost face to face with GlaDOS in Portal 1. Then I play Super Mario Bros for a bit and the tone is a bit different.

I'm getting better at Super Mario. I made it to the second castle this time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm on the last map of Engage and I want to play Rune Factory 5 next. I've been meaning to check that one out for ages.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Finished Metroid Prime Remastered, was surprised by how much of it I remembered but got a nice PTSD recollection of annoyance to re-learning Fission Metroids existed. Little fuckers can either eat Plasma Beam or share a Power Bomb if they split.

This is the correct response to those things. gently caress THOSE THINGS.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A joycon has developed drift. I take the joycon to an electronics repair store at the mall, they bring it to the backroom and the guy holding the repair kit takes one look at the joycon and shouts "I CAN'T OPERATE ON THIS JOYCON. HE'S MY SON!"

How is this possible?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

A joycon has developed drift. I take the joycon to an electronics repair store at the mall, they bring it to the backroom and the guy holding the repair kit takes one look at the joycon and shouts "I CAN'T OPERATE ON THIS JOYCON. HE'S MY SON!"

How is this possible?

He hosed and cummed in your Nintendo Switch while you were on holiday.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Only explanation op

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

tale as old as time

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yep, sadly.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Another case closed by Switch Thread Gang.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Home sick today and you know what, I'm going to play Metroid Prime

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thread got real Jeff Mahannah for a moment

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The music and voice acting in octopath 2 really are top tier and imo on a higher plane than the pixel art itself. Don't get me wrong the art style owns but they really nailed the delivery on the audio stuff and I'm engrossed in pretty much all the storylines (except for the dancer but at least she has some solid skills)

Only time the pixel art sort of matches the glory of the music and voice acting is when you're facing off against a boss with a ridiculously detailed sprite. Then again who doesn't love oversized boss sprites in their retro RPGs?

Get octopath 2 if you're looking for an SNES style classic square RPG with a ton of modern additions

I still haven't figured out the secondary job stuff and I don't want all my dudes looking like inventors so I'm gonna wait to unlock more of that before I play with it

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 6, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I assume Octopath 2 does the thing where the first person you select is the one that you're forced to keep in your party for the rest of the game? If so, who's the best choice?

I picked the merchant in the first game, and while she was a fun character, after a few hours I realized I never really wanted her in my party and would've rather had a mainstay like the magic guy or thief for their abilities.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Morpheus posted:

I assume Octopath 2 does the thing where the first person you select is the one that you're forced to keep in your party for the rest of the game? If so, who's the best choice?

I picked the merchant in the first game, and while she was a fun character, after a few hours I realized I never really wanted her in my party and would've rather had a mainstay like the magic guy or thief for their abilities.

They're only locked to your party until you fully complete their story, then you're free to rotate them out

There's like six hundred conflicting articles and youtube videos telling you why XYZ is the best starting character, but Throne is by far the best to have around because like 85% of sidequests are steal this item from an NPC, and then there's a whole lot of "immovable NPC stands in front of door with good loot behind it"

Good thing her two actions are steal and knock out door bouncers???

You get a shitload of free gear, money and stat-boosting nuts from stealing too, so it's just shooting yourself in the foot by not starting from word one with the steal action that just scales off your level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Choose the one who looks neat, all the characters are good

postmodifier posted:

They're only locked to your party until you fully complete their story, then you're free to rotate them out

There's like six hundred conflicting articles and youtube videos telling you why XYZ is the best starting character, but Throne is by far the best to have around because like 85% of sidequests are steal this item from an NPC, and then there's a whole lot of "immovable NPC stands in front of door with good loot behind it"

Good thing her two actions are steal and knock out door bouncers???

You get a shitload of free gear, money and stat-boosting nuts from stealing too, so it's just shooting yourself in the foot by not starting from word one with the steal action that just scales off your level

It is in fact not a big deal