Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Drakkel posted:

Supposedly he saw whatever went down at Reverie and immediately called BIG NEWS Morgans whose giving him protection in exchange for insider info

Yeah I know that, I want DETAILS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jerusalem posted:

One of the most confusing things for me after getting caught up on the manga and actually starting to read online chatter about it was learning that there were a significant amount of people who didn't like the Davey Back Fight, because The Davey Back Fight was loving awesome.

Plus it's got the milk/cheese joke!

The earlier an arc is, the more likely people's views of it will be colored by what the anime did. This is especially true for anything before Thrillerbark, the point at which the anime starts to diverge in quality with the manga. Marineford is about the furthest out people get for trying to catch up via the anime before switching over to the manga.

The Davey Back fight gets hit hard because the inserted filler makes it drag and stuffs in some lame poo poo.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 4, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I am extremely excited to see Kuma/Bonnie’s flashback.

this more than anything. vegapunk has been extremely forthcoming with some big setting details and this is something he doesn't want known, so it has to have some serious implications

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I'd love to see the full fight between Shanks and Kidd. Of all the Yonkou, he's still the one we know the least about, especially when it comes to personal strength, so it would be awesome to see why he's such a high-tier threat in combat, outside of vague Conquerer Haki use

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Mister Olympus posted:

this more than anything. vegapunk has been extremely forthcoming with some big setting details and this is something he doesn't want known, so it has to have some serious implications

It must have something to do with the comment about Kuma being a "special race", maybe related to whatever race king is.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mraagvpeine posted:

Here's a whole album of the What If series that image is a part of.

https://imgur.com/a/kOk1j5W

my favorite of the lot: what if vegapunk ate the hedgehog fruit instead

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What if someone probed you for crimes against my eyeballs?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Infinitum posted:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Infinitum posted:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Infinitum posted:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

oddium posted:

my favorite of the lot: what if vegapunk ate the hedgehog fruit instead

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
So, that crossover happened.

Almost a decade ago.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 5, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
he lick he own belly

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Mraagvpeine posted:

Here's a whole album of the What If series that image is a part of.

https://imgur.com/a/kOk1j5W

i wish oda wouldn't mind giving the Lovely Ladies more combat oriented skills and powers. he's getting better at it i suppose, with kiku being a good example. but i wanna see nami fight like that on screen, i'd love to see a knuckle duster that the boys in the crew often get where she gets to use her insane shonen spirit and belief to overcome a badguy after a brutal battle

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

three sword style nami looks loving sick and could you imagine a thousand fist style martial art from robin combining haki fishman karate and her fruit

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

tbp posted:

i wish oda wouldn't mind giving the Lovely Ladies more combat oriented skills and powers. he's getting better at it i suppose, with kiku being a good example. but i wanna see nami fight like that on screen, i'd love to see a knuckle duster that the boys in the crew often get where she gets to use her insane shonen spirit and belief to overcome a badguy after a brutal battle

I guess that's kinda the reason some people refuse to accept Yamato as a man because they want more kick-rear end ladies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're giving those people far too much credit

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

yeah the opposite if anything

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

nami and robin have personalities that would make for classic shonen elongated battles i think, enough so that i hope we at least get one major one for both. nami showed at the end of wano that she holds the belief in every single situation. could you imagine how cool it'd be to have a fight where she needs to hold the fort as luffy recovers/arrives/wahtever, taking all sorts of damage and still holding her head high due to unfailling belief in the captain.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I have faith Bonney has some sick fighting chops still

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

find this convo interesting from the vantage of the past (just met aokiji for the first time), because while it feels very clear that women are not gonna get to fight a ton in one piece (robin making it through alabasta and skypiea without even one mildly interesting fight despite her powers is lol) and it's gonna be like, at least replacement-level shonen sexism, it's also pretty undeniably true imo that by the time skypiea wraps nami is the only character who feels like she's in motion. In part because Luffy and Sanji and Zoro basically already have arrived at what I assume will be their broadly consistent moral stances by the time they enter the series, Nami through like chapter 300 is 100x more interesting than any of them. Curious to see how that plays out

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hey Usopp's got some stuff going on around that point!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved Robin's fight in Skypiea! That dude thinks he's monstering her and is just taunting her over how weak and pathetic and scared she is... and then she goes,"Right, we're clear of the artifacts I didn't want to damage now" and proceeds to just OBLITERATE him with complete ease.

Jerusalem posted:

So loving cool.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Her power up should've been creating a ring with her arms and doing like two submission holds while she hits infinite shooting star presses on the spider lady.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

it's a very neat moment and good character beat but also I think it gets less total screentime than Sanji and Zoro in the Davy Back Fight. It's also not much of a fight but I assume that's part of the idea that Robin isn't characterized as a fighter so much as she just has a power that lets her shortcut fights

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Valentin posted:

it's a very neat moment and good character beat but also I think it gets less total screentime than Sanji and Zoro in the Davy Back Fight. It's also not much of a fight but I assume that's part of the idea that Robin isn't characterized as a fighter so much as she just has a power that lets her shortcut fights
It's better than a "proper" fight. It's honestly my favorite fight in the whole manga. It's not about martial arts and powering up. It's about the characters and their values. It has a great dramatic buildup and it is cathartic as gently caress.

You're right that one of the things it's demonstrating is that Robin is powerful, but she doesn't revel in it. She's not a martial artist who trains or even cares about inflicting violence. But sometimes violence must be done, and she is very good at it.

That's cool as gently caress. Robin's the best. She doesn't need fights, but when they happen they're really awesome because she's really awesome.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

and I mean that's super cool but since we just spent four chapters on Luffy fighting Foxy, I'm gonna guess that whether or not Robin is interested in violence, violence remains a major feature of this shonen manga going forward and the characters interested in it will continue to take the majority of screentime

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. If you think Robin should get more fights I totally agree. Fights are always interesting character highlights and she should get more.

I'm just saying that the one she got in Skypia was phenomenal, and to dismiss it as not even "mildly interesting" is crazy talk.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Valentin posted:

whether or not Robin is interested in violence

*Spoilers*

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 6, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Infinitum posted:

[cool video]
I'm believe the person you're responding to is still reading the manga for the first time. Back around the Davey Back Fight.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

it was a very cool moment and a ruder response than warranted, your post just made it very clear to me that Robin absolutely isn't going to do fights in this fight manga and feeling like I'm going to read 700 more chapters that spend more time with one-off arc mini bosses than with any of the nonfighting crew is a bit of a tough pill to swallow. I know Oda is famous for making a lot of that so I'm looking forward to it but also oof Enel and Wyper and Gan Fall were not super compelling in that respect!

e: generally when "I wish a woman fought more in this fight manga" gets answered with "well there's many good characterization reasons why" and not "well just wait!!!" it's a useful tell for what's coming down the pike, is what I'm saying

Valentin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 6, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ah poo poo sorry my guy :negative:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Robin is my favorite Straw Hat. It'd be cool if she got more fights, but I don't need it by any means.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Valentin posted:

it was a very cool moment and a ruder response than warranted, your post just made it very clear to me that Robin absolutely isn't going to do fights in this fight manga and feeling like I'm going to read 700 more chapters that spend more time with one-off arc mini bosses than with any of the nonfighting crew is a bit of a tough pill to swallow. I know Oda is famous for making a lot of that so I'm looking forward to it but also oof Enel and Wyper and Gan Fall were not super compelling in that respect!

e: generally when "I wish a woman fought more in this fight manga" gets answered with "well there's many good characterization reasons why" and not "well just wait!!!" it's a useful tell for what's coming down the pike, is what I'm saying
Fair enough. Sorry for the implicit spoilers. I was trying to talk more about her attitude towards fights as demonstrated by what you've seen so far.

Robin will get a lot of amazing moments in the rest of the journey. She's my favorite Strawhat, and that's not based entirely on a single fight from 20 years ago.

I also don't want to come across like I'm defending Oda's decision to keep women from being fighters as often. There are cool, strong women in this manga, and Robin is one of them, but Oda definitely has some particular notions about women and violence that seem to hold back some of his characters. But there's a ton of cool stuff (including cool women (including Robin)) that you have to look forward to.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
some of my favorite moments in the manga are Robin moments, like when she looks betrayed for a split second after seeing Law teleport in front of her after she had to crawl through a small hole, I guess she's realizing she could've just done that too

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1632576792048570368?s=20

oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wonder how they're going to show rubber powers in live Live Action.