Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it's not like i want to be the one who outlives you or anything, Henry the VIII-sama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

marumaru posted:

sulets go

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

no one has ever had difficulty processing being attracted to someone until the last 30 years

anyway gwitch AND kamuy in april??? we're so rich

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Islamic Shock posted:

Tsundere Akuyaku etc. is making me wonder: are there actually any IRL historical examples of a tsundere noble anyone actually existing?

dog what

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its an exaggerated representation of a real personality trait/reaction to attraction that billions of people in human history have experienced to varying degrees, not a delineated term. america does not need its first tsundere president

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'historical example' what??? are you expecting ancient chinese scrolls to go 'lu bu's wife was very tsundere'

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Brutus, as he stabs Caesar: “B-baka it’s not like I wanted to overthrow the republic with you or anything!”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like there's an arthurian myth, The tale of La Cote Male Taile, that basically follows all the tropes. theres a few versions of it but basically

a boy named brunor, short in stature, arrives at king arthur's court wearing his murdered father's clothes. he seeks to become a knight in his father's memory. he's mocked by the knights and nicknamed la cote male taile, or 'ill-fitting coat', and works as a serving boy until he rescues a noble lady from some sort of danger. in gratitude, arthur knights him.

later, a different noble lady, maledisant, arrives seeking a knight to aid her on a quest. sir brunor steps up, but she complains that he's young and inexperienced. however, most of arthur's knights are away elsewhere, and of the ones that remain none are willing to take a chance on a random lady who showed up, and so she reluctantly accepts his aid, even as she complains at him.

as they prepare to set out, sir dagonet, arthur's court jester who was knighted as a joke, arrives and challenges brunor to a duel. brunor easily bests him. at first maledisant is impressed, but then dagonet reveals that he's arthur's jester, and she starts mocking brunor that they sent a clown to test him instead of a proper knight. brunor goes and finds a proper knight, sir bleoberis, to try and prove her wrong, but is easily defeated by him, which leads to more mockery from maledisant. she tries to get bleoberis to help her instead, but he has other matters to attend to, and so her and brunor set off.

the man maledistant wants the knights to aid her in defeating is a corrupt knight, sir plenorius. however, she doesn't know where he is, so they seek out the castle of a local noble who might know where he's hiding. brunor senses danger, so he tells maledistant to wait outside. when he gets inside, he's attacked by a hundred knights. with skilled fighting, he barely manages to escape, flee back outside, and he and maledistant run away on her horse. however, she refuses to believe his story, and thinks its more likely that he said something to offend the noble.

as they ride off, they meet sir lancelot, who directs them to the castle of sir brian. brunor and maledisant arrive, and brunor asks to see sir brian, but his knights say that he'll have to defeat one of them in a duel. brunor challenges one of them and defeat him, but then the others gang up on him, beat him up, and throw maledisant and him into the dungeon. maledisant blames him, and mockingly brings up how he claimed to have been able to escape a hundred knights before, so surely a dozen or so shouldn't have been a problem.

lancelot arrives and defeats sir brian and his knights, and rescues them. maledisant mocks brunor for having to be bailed out by a real knight, and asks lancelot to aid her instead. lancelot says he'll aid them on the condition that maledisant stop mocking brunor, and she admits that she doesn't truly hate him, but that a proper knight should be able to handle a few cross words.

lancelot understands, and the three travel to sir plenorius's castle. as they enter, lancelot and brunor are challenged by sir plenorius and his henchmen, a pair of twin knights. lancelot takes plenorius while brunor handles the twins. brunor fights valiantly and is able to defeat the twins, but is greatly wounded, leading maledisant to realize that brunor was telling the truth about his heroics against the hundred knights earlier. when another of plenorius's knights approaches to try and finish brunor off, maledisant shields him.

meanwhile, lancelot manages to defeat plenorius, leading him to call his men off and surrender. lancelot, brunor, and maledisant all return to king arthur's court with plenorius in tow as a prisoner. plenorius is stripped of his knighthood and holdings as punishment for his largely umentioned crimes, brunor is made a knight of the round table, and maledisant confesses her love to him. brunor and maledisant are married, and brunor is given plenorius's holdings, so they live happily ever after in a big castle. the end.

this story is from like the middle ages but it hits basically all the tropes you'd expect from that sort of trope. rich lady picks on an unassuming boy and makes fun of him, boy shows courage in the face of impossible odds, she falls for him, she admits that she's only being harsh as a front, she has a big moment where it becomes obvious how much she cares for him, they get married. tsundere is a jp-specific term but you can find basically the same thing throughout history in basically all corners of the world.

also lancelot kind of did all the work but look, medieval arthuran myth loving loved lancelot. lancelot was the vegeta.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 6, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know brunor never did avenge his father's murder but medieval arthurian myth isnt known for its tight storytelling

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The taming of the shrew was a historical document

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

I know someone said they were getting fed up with Nagatoro, but this last Judo episode really gives you a ton of backstory and kind of informs why she ended up being friends with the dork that was way too into art.

It is kind of a turning point in the overall story.

Yeah, I've been watching for the moments in Nagatoro when it stops being an odd fetish show and about two goofy kids realizing they like each other. Earlier in the season it felt like it had backslid kind of a lot, like an editor demanded they put more of Hayase being obnoxious in, but that was good.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Jesus loving Christ that was a long way of saying somewhat yes but basically no

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i believe this was the short answer version:

Endorph posted:

its an exaggerated representation of a real personality trait/reaction to attraction that billions of people in human history have experienced to varying degrees, not a delineated term. america does not need its first tsundere president

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Fair.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

god was really tsundere towards adam and eve if u think about it

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
some relationships in Jane Austen novels are tsundere-adjacent imo

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Abraham Lincoln was a classic tsundere

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Namtab posted:

god was really tsundere towards adam and eve if u think about it

the snake was the coolest character that season

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jesus loving Christ that was a long way of saying somewhat yes but basically no
you learned something about arthurian myth today. its called culture. usually people pay money for classes on this. give me 500 dollars for your textbook.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tsundere Akuyaku etc. is making me wonder: are there actually any IRL historical examples of a tsundere noble anyone actually existing?

YOur mom

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
hugtto precure is making me wonder: are there actually any IRL historical examples of a smear frame

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Space Flower posted:

hugtto precure is making me wonder: are there actually any IRL historical examples of a smear frame

Wave your hand in front of your face really fast

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space Flower posted:

Bruce Lee's original Green Hornet screen test

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Would one of those novelty clocks where it's a wand that goes back and forth really fast to make it look like the numbers are floating count?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
watch me bend this pencil

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
CW for Mike Tyson doing work

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Vending Machine isekai confirmed for July. :dance:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It sounds like a really dumb premise. Can you sell me on it?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

The girls are cute, OP. Same as any isekai's selling point.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I believe the premise being dumb is the selling point

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Guy is a vending machine maniac, reincarnates as a vending machine. He can use the typical points-based system to buy upgrades and products based on anything he ever purchased before.

He’s paired up with a cute and super strong girl who can carry him around, and eventually her friend who is a researcher.

So yeah the whole appeal is “how do we solve this problem using a vending machine”.

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams

Nitrousoxide posted:

It doesn't backslide on its dumb premise. He really is just a vending machine, he can't turn into anything else. He can't move by himself, he's a heavy vending machine. He can only talk in stock Japanese phrases vending machines use, like "Thank you!" and "Please insert coins" etc. (Though he has a normal internal monologue.)

Basically, it creates a very dumb premise, but does not skimp on the worldbuilding just because it's dumb.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Endorph posted:

also lancelot kind of did all the work but look, medieval arthuran myth loving loved lancelot. lancelot was the vegeta.

The French loved their overpowered OC self-insert. And Mallory really hated Gawain for some reason.

Uh, but yeah the tsundere trope is older than the printing press. And heck, isekai have been around in one form or another for ages too. There are no original ideas.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1633302564660707329

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ZEiJyqDKU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

oh wow it's saito directing. busy guy

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
dunno if he's done anything else, but dog episode of sonny boy + bocchi is quite the resume

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It should mean Freiran getting eaten by a mimic will be great at least

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 8, 2023

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah big win for frieren, obviously theres no guarantees in this business but the director of 2022 aoty bocchi the rock + the animation team of 2021 aoty sonny boy is about the best you could ask for

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
rewatching thru the series, "Interview with Monster Girls" a bit

succubus sensei and vampire-chan the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The French loved their overpowered OC self-insert. And Mallory really hated Gawain for some reason.

Uh, but yeah the tsundere trope is older than the printing press. And heck, isekai have been around in one form or another for ages too. There are no original ideas.

I will forever maintain that “Isekai” is way more specific than just “going to another world” yea yea make your jokes about the literal definition of the word, but it has a pretty unique set of conventions that make it very obvious what your watching/reading. People harp on about the video game mechanics part but that’s actually not the biggest thing when you get down into the nitty gritty of how the story works on a fundamental level.
The real big thing that underlies the whole genre is that returning to the “real world” is neither possible nor desirable. The Normalacy of real life is something that is wholly rejected (ironically this rejection remains true even in the so called “slow life” sub-sub-genre). If the old adage is true, that the only two stories are either the one where Luke Skywalker leaves behind podunk Tatooine to live and become great in the wider galaxy, or the one where Frodo is just trying to get rid of this drat ring so he can go home to his normal life, then Isekai is the former and stories like Narnia and Alice in Wonderland are the latter.