Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zbn
May 11, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Tape down a ~cm square sheet of thickish plastic to the concrete floor for a few days and see if condensation builds up under it. That will let you know if you need a plastic vapor barrier between the 2x and the floor. If the paint is in decent shape that probably means it doesn't sweat too much. How bad is the slope? There are some self-leveling masonry compounds you can pour over the existing slab, but that may be unreasonably expensive vs doing what you're considering.

That's a good idea, thanks. The fall is about 8cm over the 3m, so I think it would be a bit much for self levelling compounds. I also looked into other kinds of semi-dry screed but seems like I'd need to batten the floor anyway and it'd be a much more permanent installation, not sure how the costs shake out. If I need to put down a vapor barrier than do I need to do anything special to fix through it (eg squirting silicone into the holes before screwing) or will it be fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, hopefully I'm done the saga.

Installed the flange kit, went quite well

and put on a new American Standard Champion 4.

I seem to recall a few here (Motronic maybe) specifically recommended that series for it's ability to deal with monster loads a few months back when I was looking at replacing a different toilet.

So far so good. Flushed it a few times, even hit it with a plunger just because, and it seems fine.

I'm not going to seal the base up with silicone for a bit. It's very stable, doesn't rock but I have enough thickness to slide a sheet of paper towel thru. I'm going to do that for a few days, make sure I don't see any moisture before I button it up. Just running the fan and everything in the basement, everything is pretty much dried out but just need to keep the air moving on the gyproc as much as possible. I think it could have been worse and dodged a bit of a bullet although I obviously wasn't completely unscathed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Shifty Pony posted:

When the toilet clogs the problem is almost always in the bends of the toilet itself, so it sitting full of liquid shouldn't cause more water to come out of a leaking gasket.

I'm wondering if it is a bad tank seal that gets dislodged by movement like vigorous plunging. Or something crazy like a defective channel which is normally dry but when the flush happens it fills up and leaks so when the flush doesn't drain normally it stays full of water and a bunch leaks out. You might not be able to see either of them because that toilet has a fancy outer shell hiding things.

I would bet tank seal though, and some internal passage between the top of the toilet and the bottom that is letting the water through.
You might have been onto something. When I tipped the old toilet to an angle to try and sop up the rest of the water in the tank with towel, the towels had HUGE nasty black smudges on them. I'm thinking the nitrile/buna (whatever they are) seals in them might be failing. Which is interesting because I never use those in-tank cleaners, but :shrug: Just whatever chlorine comes in from the city water treatment. Either way, I am 95%+ convinced it was an old toilet problem and not a hard plumbing problem. Pretty sure that small crack in the closet flange was basically coincidental to what was happening.

Either way, so far so good. The couple sheets of paper towel I put underneath the toilet up to the closet flange always come out bone dry without the slightest hint of moisture. I'll still keep the base of it unsealed for a few days (I do want to eventually silicone it, helps with cleaning around the toilet IMHO) but after a bit of normal usage, if there is no sign of anything, I'll button it all up. I'm also going to check the rubber bits in the tanks of the other toilets. If I see deterioration like that old one elsewhere, I'm going to take them out of service as preventative action too.

One nice thing about winter in the prairie provinces of Canada, is the air is typically very dry. Low humidity is helping me. I have the vent boots disconnected in the downstairs bedroom and half bath so they're blowing some furnace air in the "crawl" space between levels (nobody could actually crawl in there lol) to assist with any residual dry out as there is no way in hell I could get a fan in there, no access whatsoever. Seems to be working very well from the little bit of feeling around I can do with my hand.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Who makes good quality ceiling fans these days? The one in our living room needs replacing.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hunter

Edit: specifically the expensive premium ones. The cheap ones are trash

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I switched to Minka Aire several years ago and haven't had any regrets.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Got a Modern Forms fan for our screen porch, been nice so far. But they're... not cheap (edit: at least, not compared to what you'll find at LowesDepot). And the styles are pretty particular... I like them, but I have trouble justifying them inside anywhere. Not that I'm really in tune with interior design, but they just seem like you need the right style for them to work. They aren't ugly or gaudy, they're just a particular style.

Mustache Ride posted:

Hunter

Edit: specifically the expensive premium ones. The cheap ones are trash

Every hunter I've come across is pure junk. But we've only ever bought the LowesDepot junk models.

At what price point does Hunter become good? Want to say we've paid up to $150 for a Hunter and still got garbage. Which doesn't surprise me, but it's hard to really trust that a brand that sells piles of junk via big box stores can actually have a reliable option at any price point. Usually companies will try to distinguish their mass-market trash under a separate brand.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 6, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

couldcareless posted:

Who makes good quality ceiling fans these days? The one in our living room needs replacing.

Fanimation is run by an ex-casablanca guy who got out when they were consumed by the ghost of hunter.

I've been happy with them.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

At what price point does Hunter become good? Want to say we've paid up to $150 for a Hunter and still got garbage. Which doesn't surprise me, but it's hard to really trust that a brand that sells piles of junk via big box stores can actually have a reliable option at any price point. Usually companies will try to distinguish their mass-market trash under a separate brand.

I spent ~$350 on a Hunter Symphony that's been OK, build wise it felt a lot more substantial than the Hunter I replaced. My one dislike is the stupid remote system. It feels cheap and lovely. After the initial setup I tossed it into a drawer and plan on ignoring it forever.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I was shopping specifically for fans that didn't have remotes because I hate remotes. Bought 3 Hunter Jettys and they've been fantastic.

Big rear end Fans also makes some residential stuff now that I've put outside and they look and work great: https://bigassfans.com/residential/

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I bought our bedroom fans from Modern Fan Company exclusively based on looks, they work pretty well too. The remote does kinda suck though.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Seconding Minka, I’ve bought six of them over the years and they’re all good. One of them fried itself within a month of install and they sent me a replacement, no issues. Though you have to go through the party that sold to you—no contacting Minka directly for warranty replacements.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I bought 6 Hunter fans for my current house at Costco 5 years ago for like 99 bucks a pop. They work fine, no complaints at all.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
House thread...what is my best option for dealing with a contractor who has not completed the work as agreed upon in the contract? Small claims? I'm guessing I can't get a lawyer to write a nasty letter to get it resolved?

To summarize the situation they installed central air conditioning but subbed the work out to a company who was not legally permitted to do electral work, so they did not get the permit and inspection of electrical work done. I'm tired of waiting for them to get their poo poo together because they already have my money and have no incentive to do anything now.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

House thread...what is my best option for dealing with a contractor who has not completed the work as agreed upon in the contract? Small claims? I'm guessing I can't get a lawyer to write a nasty letter to get it resolved?

To summarize the situation they installed central air conditioning but subbed the work out to a company who was not legally permitted to do electral work, so they did not get the permit and inspection of electrical work done. I'm tired of waiting for them to get their poo poo together because they already have my money and have no incentive to do anything now.

Central AC install is probably over the value of small claims court, find a lawyer and go from there.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well they did the install and it works great.

However to get the permit resolved I think a qualified electrical installer is going to have to inspect the work that was done, accept it as good enough and apply for the permit under their license.

I dunno if it would cost more than 2-3k to resolve it and that's under the 5k limit for small claims.

However I don't know poo poo about the law and I don't know if I can just claim I need all my money back (8k) since they haven't made good on their contract.

It's been almost 3 years since the work was done. I'm in Washington state fwiw

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

However I don't know poo poo about the law

Yes. this is what lawyers are for. Hire one.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Took me a day and a half b/c I'm no electrician, but i have successfully de-Gary-ed yet another circuit in my house.
There's still so much to unfuck. WHY DID YOU USE SERVICE ENTRANCE CABLE FOR APPLIANCES? Grounding your 240v appliances is overrated

Turns out 75% of the basement lighting was running off a spaghetti split from the furnace circuit into 4 other circuits.

Complete with floating grounds, soldered connections, and mixed wire gauge.

There is now one circuit for the furnace, and a new 15a for the rest of the LED lights in the basement.
And both have an actual ground to the panel. :amaze:

There's still at least 2 or 3 mystery circuits in the basement i haven't gotten to yet.

But at least there are no more suicide cables powering things between outlets.

Fuckin Gary...

Side note, I am 100% team Wago for life.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
Well, time to rant and give everyone else a lesson to learn from me!

Gutters. I hate gutters. I live in my 1963 brick rancher and we have gutters that are basically from the the same time period. They suck, and when we moved in I band-aided them, with some cheap rear end LowesDepot plastic mesh nonsense. I did not want to remove gutters, nor replace fascia and redo the gutters. So I decided to pay someone. ( This was my first mistake). I went online and looked around, did some YouTube research, and came back with leaf filter ( steel micro mesh really) as the best choice. Everyone was screaming just to do it yourself AND leaf filter as a company was horrible because they promised grandma that she would never have to send grandpa to the roof to clean a gutter again.

I knew that was a lie, and the sales bro who gave me the whole deal didn't go with that one, that you will have to blow some poo poo off it every now and again. I was prepped for it, and I didn't care tooooo much about paying extra for the dudes to do the needful. Everything seemed very up and up.

Mistake #2!
I didn't measure the fascia myself. So the sales bro who mostly used to do loan originations measured and eyeballed as a 1x6 (it was not, and in fact was a 1x5).

So, the day laborers who do actual work get here and slap out some gutters. They are quick, clean etc. It was also raining like an rear end in a top hat and they just went on doing their thing. So, I didn't get a chance to jump up on the roof before they left with my check ( Mistake #3!)

I finally had some time to get back up there and start measuring for soffit and rake replacement (it got a little soft near the end of the rake). And LOW AND BEHOLD.

1. They tore 3 of my shingles removing the old fascia. This honestly did not bother me too much. I probably would have done it also, and at the absolute worst, the some roof grade sealant would make me not care anymore.

2. Upon further inspection however, I found the atrocities. The fascia is too wide, and instead of stopping what they were doing and solving the problem correctly, they matched it to the bottom of the other fascia, and let it rise up pushing the shingles all the way up, and also mounted the gutter too high on the fascia so that it pushed it up even more.

looking at a place where some fascia was replaced right next to original will show it well:

You can see it pushed up hard core.

3. But also, in the "normal" area, it still is too high for the shingles. Like the WHOLE point was that they didn't push the drat shingles up and "void the warranty" :ghost: . I don't think it's that bad out front, but I will need to look again. I was looking for damage not dumbassery.

So, where I am now:

I have gotten in touch to see what the hell they want to do, but they may ( I haven't had a chance to follow up so hard last week because of work ) have ghosted me. Which will not end well for them. I'm going to start calling outside the group I'm talking to and make a stink out the rear end. I feel like every time the lesson I learn is "do it yourself, NO ONE cares about your poo poo except you". I may also just not have good luck with people ( and this one was admittedly my fault for going with poo poo brand X).

So please, point and laugh and enjoy my teeth grinding.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Frankly surprised people like this don't get outright assaulted more often

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

:pressf:

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ah, good to see you went with the bird nest upgrade

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ptier posted:

(:catstare: at fascia & roof. )

So, where I am now:

I have gotten in touch to see what the hell they want to do, but they may ( I haven't had a chance to follow up so hard last week because of work ) have ghosted me. Which will not end well for them. I'm going to start calling outside the group I'm talking to and make a stink out the rear end. I feel like every time the lesson I learn is "do it yourself, NO ONE cares about your poo poo except you". I may also just not have good luck with people ( and this one was admittedly my fault for going with poo poo brand X).

So please, point and laugh and enjoy my teeth grinding.

Write letters or email. Calling will do no good. You need a paper trail.

Give them a time frame. "If I do not hear from you within (1-week) of this email, I will be filing a small-claims-court suit. Your move."

This may work with the A/C asshats as well

If they don't respond, print those photos out & take 'em to court.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

If you're at the point where you're threatening to sue you should already have an attorney to make that threat for you.

If your employer provides a legal plan as part of your benefits check to see if they include demand letters, a lot of times a sternly worded message on letterhead is all it takes to get things moving.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

devicenull posted:

Ah, good to see you went with the bird nest upgrade

I am a friend of birbs!

PainterofCrap posted:

Write letters or email. Calling will do no good. You need a paper trail.

Give them a time frame. "If I do not hear from you within (1-week) of this email, I will be filing a small-claims-court suit. Your move."

This may work with the A/C asshats as well

If they don't respond, print those photos out & take 'em to court.

Update: I should be having a phone conversation today about it with a person. I will be getting email to keep in contact. They really don't like using those ( looked and sales bro email is his personal gmail).

I think the extra pictures I sent yesterday peaked their interest.

EDIT: Jeez looking at those pictures, I really need to do some rake repairs followed by a scrape and paint. It was the plan, after the gutters... but more so as I look at those. oof. But 60 years ain't bad.

Update 2: Phone call went well. They agree it's poo poo, but for some reason wasn't seeing the fascia above the roof line as a problem. But I don't think they saw the picture right. I sent them the a new pic with drawn on colors and hopefully I'll get that cleared too.

So far Saturday they will be back out to fix all the things.

And I will be hopping on the ladder to check it this time damnit.

ptier fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 8, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I posted this in the AI Tool thread as well, and I know we have some posters that go back and forth, but for those that don't, any specific recommendations?

Thinking of one of the replies, maybe a small stand alone hand held unit might be better than a USB add-on?

slidebite posted:

Do you guys have any of the recent mini-thermal cameras that attach to your cell? Is there a recommended one?

I bought one of the first generation Seek cameras several years ago, I didn't use it much but when I did it was handy.

It's micro USB so looking for something that got (hopefully) higher res, better app (the Seek app was clunky as gently caress) and USB-C. Looks like there is quite a few different models on the market now. I needed to use one the other day so I had to dust off my old original Moto G which luckily did what I needed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

I posted this in the AI Tool thread as well, and I know we have some posters that go back and forth, but for those that don't, any specific recommendations?

Thinking of one of the replies, maybe a small stand alone hand held unit might be better than a USB add-on?

I use an old FLIR One attached to like an iphone 5. Cheapest entry into thermal and I haven't needed anything more.

Edit: They are very useful. I've used mine for checking wall insulation, finding drafts/air ingress areas, AC supply/return differential, main electric service entrance maintenance checks, etc.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 8, 2023

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

I use an old FLIR One attached to like an iphone 5. Cheapest entry into thermal and I haven't needed anything more.

Edit: They are very useful. I've used mine for checking wall insulation, finding drafts/air ingress areas, AC supply/return differential, main electric service entrance maintenance checks, etc.

+1 for the FLIR One. Comes in iPhone and Android flavors.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I just bought a condo! Woo! We are sort of lucky in that we aren’t gonna move in until may, so we get to fix some stuff. The duplex was built in 1902, and converted to condos sometime in the early 2000s

I have some questions on various things because the internet is often unreliable.

1. Old house, so it has very very few outlets and a 60amp breaker. We’re gonna add more outlets and update the breaker to 100-150. Price wise the internet says a good electrician will charge 1500 - 2000 for the breaker and 150 a pop for each outlet. My father in law says “nope 10000 dollars, before outlets are added” so who is right?

2. bathroom related, the tub is a converted clawfoot (rad) on wooden flooring (spooky). I feel like it’s urgent that I tile but am I worried about nothing?

3. It’s an old Boston apartment so paint wise it’s got that landlord special. Think a thick costing of paint over various hinges and other dumb poo poo like wainscot and baseboard. Is there ways to undo that without stripping the walls bare and starting over?

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 8, 2023

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I just bought a condo! Woo! We are sort of lucky in that we aren’t gonna move in until may, so we get to fix some stuff. The duplex was built in 1902, and converted to condos sometime in the early 2000s

I have some questions on various things because the internet is often unreliable.

1. Old house, so it has very very few outlets and a 60amp breaker. We’re gonna add more outlets and update the breaker to 100-150. Price wise the internet says a good electrician will charge 1500 - 2000 for the breaker and 150 a pop for each outlet. My father in law says “nope 10000 dollars, before outlets are added” so who is right?

2. bathroom related, the tub is a converted clawfoot (rad) on wooden flooring (spooky). I feel like it’s urgent that I tile but am I worried about nothing?

3. It’s an old Boston apartment so paint wise it’s got that landlord special. Think a thick costing of paint over various hinges and other dumb poo poo like wainscot and baseboard. Is there ways to undo that without stripping the walls bare and starting over?

1. A residential service upgrade is going to be like 5 grand or more. And that's assuming each unit has its own service from the pole and you just need to upgrade that from a 60 amp service to something more modern. If you have to deal with shared service then you'll likely have to get the condo association involved and it'll be even more of a pain in the rear end. Add regional pricing variations in and 10k is high but not out of the question.

2. Wood floors are fine in bathrooms. Sand them and seal them with polyurethane. If you want tile you can get tile but wood isn't a disaster.

3. Dehumanize yourself and face to stripping. You can slap 1/4" drywall on top of the old paint and wallpaper mess but you can't get around sanding and stripping trim.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oh the reality check you're about to have about how expensive it is to get a skilled trade to do anything for you in a place like Boston is going to be so much fun to watch.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Oh the reality check you're about to have about how expensive it is to get a skilled trade to do anything for you in a place like Boston is going to be so much fun to watch.

I disagree lmao

Also thank you for the pricing on the electrical panel. I can’t figure out why this-old-house says the prices is like 5000 bucks lower.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:munch:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Who makes good quality light fixtures in the UK these days? We want to replace our ceiling lights and sconces and it seems like most websites just sell cheap tat.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I disagree lmao

Also thank you for the pricing on the electrical panel. I can’t figure out why this-old-house says the prices is like 5000 bucks lower.

I paid almost 6 grand to upgrade mine to 220, have them fix unfuck what they could, and install 2 outlets. In Wisconsin, sfh. So yeah.. 10k is a reasonable estimate in :wrongcity:.

My guess for TOH pricing is that they were also in a not-Boston priced area.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Boston is by far the most expensive city I've heard of for this stuff, cost of everything is 3-10x anywhere else.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

slurm posted:

Boston is by far the most expensive city I've heard of for this stuff, cost of everything is 3-10x anywhere else.

finding contractors in boston loving sucks

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

You can probably find some dude in a rural cornfield in Iowa who's happy just to have the opportunity and it's throwing the whole estimate off. 2k for a service upgrade isn't even get out of bed money to an electrician.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

ptier posted:

I am a friend of birbs!

Update: I should be having a phone conversation today about it with a person. I will be getting email to keep in contact. They really don't like using those ( looked and sales bro email is his personal gmail).

I think the extra pictures I sent yesterday peaked their interest.

EDIT: Jeez looking at those pictures, I really need to do some rake repairs followed by a scrape and paint. It was the plan, after the gutters... but more so as I look at those. oof. But 60 years ain't bad.

Update 2: Phone call went well. They agree it's poo poo, but for some reason wasn't seeing the fascia above the roof line as a problem. But I don't think they saw the picture right. I sent them the a new pic with drawn on colors and hopefully I'll get that cleared too.

So far Saturday they will be back out to fix all the things.

And I will be hopping on the ladder to check it this time damnit.

So update on this:

Seemingly they will be out on Saturday to “fix the gutters and they are aware of the fascia situation so they can take care of it.” whatever the hell that means. My guess is there will be a 50/50 chance I get into a yelling match. But whatever.

Fix my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ptier posted:

So update on this:

Seemingly they will be out on Saturday to “fix the gutters and they are aware of the fascia situation so they can take care of it.” whatever the hell that means. My guess is there will be a 50/50 chance I get into a yelling match. But whatever.

Fix my poo poo.

You're much better off instead of yelling (which won't fix anything and will give them a reason to not come back due to verbal aggression) to get everything in writing, like right now I'd be looking for a written statement acknowledging that this was not done correctly and their statement of intent to rectify the issue, in as much detail as you can get from them.