Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Somehow this thing has a 5 year warranty on it for manufacturers defects and someone is coming out Monday. Better be the drat compressor. I don't know if I have California or the class action lawsuit to thank for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Bathroom exhaust fan.
Since I've lived here (7ish years) there has been a combination of: hit the switch and the motor spins up and starts sucking air within a few seconds to: hit the switch, and motor hums, and spins slowly for......... A while, probably sometimes a minute plus before it starts spinning fast enough to suck air out. It's probably as old as my place is, so somewhere about 12-15 years old.

It works fine for months on end and then one day recently started humming and spinning slowly before finally spinning up and sucking air out. It'll do that for months, then one random day I'll hit the switch and it will start working immediately again. And so on.

Is this a symptom of a weak/failing motor? Or something else?
The fan part has been cleaned or otherwise had dust and crud removed from it with no immediate improvements.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

wesleywillis posted:

Bathroom exhaust fan.
Since I've lived here (7ish years) there has been a combination of: hit the switch and the motor spins up and starts sucking air within a few seconds to: hit the switch, and motor hums, and spins slowly for......... A while, probably sometimes a minute plus before it starts spinning fast enough to suck air out. It's probably as old as my place is, so somewhere about 12-15 years old.

It works fine for months on end and then one day recently started humming and spinning slowly before finally spinning up and sucking air out. It'll do that for months, then one random day I'll hit the switch and it will start working immediately again. And so on.

Is this a symptom of a weak/failing motor? Or something else?
The fan part has been cleaned or otherwise had dust and crud removed from it with no immediate improvements.

If it's a Broan you can buy the fan + metal plate part at Lowes and swap it out. If you have open it until you see the fan, you just unplug it and remove the lock screw and the plate tilts out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks, I've had it out before for various things and taken the fan blade off the motor and whatnot.

I don't think its a Broan. Hell I'm not sure what it is TBH.

If its just the motor I'd probably just buy a new one from somewhere. Then I don't have to worry about fitment unless the motor is NLA.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I keep getting puddles in my garage, and I'm wondering if it's at least partly because of the coating (I swear it wasn't me who did it). Here's a picture:

This is in Minnesota, there are no drains, and the pooling tends to happen toward the back two corners of the garage. All I've come up with to do at this is let the car drip outside for a while after trips, running a floor drying fan, and vacuuming the rest. I'm curious what fixing it might entail though. Drains? Removing the coating?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nitsuga posted:

I keep getting puddles in my garage, and I'm wondering if it's at least partly because of the coating (I swear it wasn't me who did it). Here's a picture:

This is in Minnesota, there are no drains, and the pooling tends to happen toward the back two corners of the garage. All I've come up with to do at this is let the car drip outside for a while after trips, running a floor drying fan, and vacuuming the rest. I'm curious what fixing it might entail though. Drains? Removing the coating?

Floor drying fan with a timer will do it. Just start it when you park the car, it'll push the water around and it'll dry out (I also have an epoxy floor). If you can get it behind where the water pools it'll work a lot better. They're usually safe to get a little wet (YMMV with cheap fans!)

No real reason to remove the floor, epoxy's way better then bare concrete.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I want to dab a little black paint on some screw heads to make them stand out less. But I'd like to not make the screw never-take-outtable. Any tricks of the trade for keeping the Philips drive on the head usable? They're #10 screws so not tiny

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

alnilam posted:

I want to dab a little black paint on some screw heads to make them stand out less. But I'd like to not make the screw never-take-outtable. Any tricks of the trade for keeping the Philips drive on the head usable? They're #10 screws so not tiny

Any thin paint is going to do fine. Think about something like spraying black spray paint into a cup (or it's own lid) to put on with a little brush.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

Any thin paint is going to do fine. Think about something like spraying black spray paint into a cup (or it's own lid) to put on with a little brush.

Why not spray directly on the screw heads? Screw em into a piece of scrap cardboard to make life easy.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's a shittier option but you can try using a sharpie.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Nail polish!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shoe polish!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Polish sausage!

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Sausage polish!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Leave them unpainted. Call it "live edge industrial".

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
Why not just buy black screws? They’ll be like $4 and a whole lot less messing around

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

alnilam posted:

Paint them with whatever.

When the time comes that you might need to remove them, just get a sharp pointy thing (like another screw) and dig the paint out of the head.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DC to Daylight posted:

Why not spray directly on the screw heads? Screw em into a piece of scrap cardboard to make life easy.

Because it's thin paint/no prep and will come right off when you use a screwdriver on them.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

DC to Daylight posted:

Sausage polish!

Never on a job site. Always wait until you get home.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

captkirk posted:

Never on a job site. Always wait until you get home.

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

NoSpoon posted:

Why not just buy black screws? They’ll be like $4 and a whole lot less messing around

Weren't available for the size and type I needed. The hardware store guy was the one who suggested dabbing them with black paint and then this follow-up question occurred to me.

Thanks folks, I'll try some real thin paint or nail polish depending on what I have around

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

wesleywillis posted:

When the time comes that you might need to remove them, just get a sharp pointy thing (like another screw) and dig the paint out of the head.
Or, and stay with me here because this is really out there, a loving metal screwdriver? I don't know what paints y'all are working with that could stand their ground against a metal screwdriver but I've never seen one in my life that wouldn't just immediately flake out of the way--aside from maybe enamel coatings, which would still probably shatter off if you knocked the back of the screwdriver with a hammer.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

Or, and stay with me here because this is really out there, a loving metal screwdriver? I don't know what paints y'all are working with that could stand their ground against a metal screwdriver but I've never seen one in my life that wouldn't just immediately flake out of the way--aside from maybe enamel coatings, which would still probably shatter off if you knocked the back of the screwdriver with a hammer.

Lookit this guy that's never gone through a box of pocket hole screws and found 10% of them unusable due to blue paint...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:toot: LG tech arrived, we were first on his list, it's the compressor, and so he just vented all the refrigerant into the kitchen.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

:toot: LG tech arrived, we were first on his list, it's the compressor, and so he just vented all the refrigerant into the kitchen.

Yup. They will also replace it and not vac the system at all. They just shove refrigerant through the low side and leave the high side open until "all" of the air is out.

This is what happens when you don't pay enough in warranty reimbursement to do jobs properly.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
He is vac'ing it right now! He's got digital gauges hung and everything. Though it is put on with some kind of crimp thing not solder so we shall see. He torched the old one off. It's LG "factory" repair not authorized third party but I know that's still a sub.

edit: He's been vac'ing it for a long time now. :v:

Edit the second: He got obviously tired of waiting and charged it. After sitting there being annoyed at the charge he just vented the gas into my house and is vac'ing again.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 6, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

He is vac'ing it right now! He's got digital gauges hung and everything. Though it is put on with some kind of crimp thing not solder so we shall see. He torched the old one off. It's LG "factory" repair not authorized third party but I know that's still a sub.

edit: He's been vac'ing it for a long time now. :v:

Edit the second: He got obviously tired of waiting and charged it. After sitting there being annoyed at the charge he just vented the gas into my house and is vac'ing again.

Just lol.

Also, it's gonna leak if he didn't solder on service ports. Did he at least put a new drier on when the compressor was swapped?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Lol now that you mention it I think that's the part I see on the floor next to him brand new. I can't quite see what he's doing but the torch was put away after he got the old unit out.

I just went and looked, dryer looks new, it's too shiny to have lived back there for a while. Whatever he's hooked up to for ports looks like it comes from the factory that way. Perhaps the replacement parts are made to be hooked up? (vs the factory parts where they induction-weld them closed or whatever.)

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 6, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

I have definitely been confounded by gummy paint on screw heads in the past. I can usually work through it with a lot of elbow grease but I'm trying to avoid that issue.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Buy the LG guy an account so he can explain himself.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

withak posted:

Agreed, I am made of questions.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Second vac didn't hold either, he didn't charge it. Put 100psi of nitrogen into it which held at 0.1psi leak in 10 minutes. He started showing me pictures of his guages. 115.3 -> 115.2 psi. Then he vac'd it again thinking it was working, showed me the guage which was obviously floating and too high. He said it was working. He took apart the old dryer and dumped only a couple of beads on the floor, but found some obvious "crud." I asked if it was clogged up. After 30 minutes of messing around quietly he went out to the truck and got a new condensor. He's trying again.

:v: So great.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I hate spiral screw extractors. They never, ever work... except when they do. I had to extract the agitator bolt from a washing machine whose head rusted away so bad that I couldn't even hammer on a socket. For those of you who don't know, that bolt is hidden away inside of a recess about 2 inches wide and 6 inches deep, so no vice grips or other wrenches can reach it. That spiral screw extractor did the trick!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Congratulations on being the first person in the history of extractors/easy-outs/whatever the gently caress other people call them, to use one successfully!!

:toot:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The trick is to befriend a machinist. I quickly realized that I did more harm than good trying to extract bolts so now I just bring it to him right away

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Opopanax posted:

The trick is to befriend a masochist. I quickly realized that I did more harm than good trying to extract bolts so now I just bring it to him right away

withak posted:

LG guy swapped on the new condenser, vac'd it, held it for 30m, and charged. This time it equalized correctly with high/low sides showing an actual delta. A few hours later, I have ice! In the icemaker! He scheduled a followup in a week where he's at least going to call, I'm hoping I can get him out to hook up the manifold and see where we're at but I have my doubts on that. He said not to fill it with a bunch of food for 24hrs, just put in ice packs and non-perishables to hold temperature, and make sure it's making plenty of ice. Said I can call the head office to make a spoilage claim once he closes out the ticket in a week. Dude spent 3.5hrs on this and seemed to actually want it done righter than I was expecting. Hopefully there isn't a bunch of crud in the evap just waiting to blast through and clog everything up again.

Honestly if I get 5 more years out of this I will at least only grumble a little bit when it croaks since it will be 10 years old at that point.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That was supposed to be machinist but I guess masochist works

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Opopanax posted:

That was supposed to be machinist but I guess masochist works

:thejoke:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh, I assumed autocorrect got me. I am not a clever man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Oh, I assumed autocorrect got me. I am not a clever man

I had to double check I didn't accidentally edit your post.