Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Smythe posted:

i watched the franklin show on youtube & liked it but nevber listened to wtyp

somebody posted a timestamped youtube link from when RBG died in the middle of recording the 9/11 episode and that is the only truly required listening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i havent listened to radio war nerd since like september apparently? real far behind on episodes, time to catch up lol

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

i say swears online posted:

oof lol. I guess it's less effort but I wonder if the money is better even if it's split multiple ways
mfer is collecting money from people who are in denial or forgot they subscribed

https://www.patreon.com/donoteat

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

i havent listened to radio war nerd since like september apparently? real far behind on episodes, time to catch up lol

im behind on like every podcast that isnt yks, doughboys, and trueanon

rwn rules but some of their epiisodes on the russiian war were so bad

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

big same. I’m like 3 months behind on TAFS bc I wanted to start watching the videos but I just don’t have time. I keep up on trueanon and tech won’t save us but that’s about it

the rwn war ones weren’t always awful but highly dependent on guests. Ames is so afraid of angering the liberal rabbling gbs war psycho class and getting called a tankie so he’s always throwing on a zillion clauses

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

yeah im gonna skip the russian ones since all the stuff in it is outdated by now plus ames and dolan really seemed overly chastised by getting the initial call on russia invading wrong. but the one i have queued up next is about italian fashion with annibale so that is probably going to be fun (even if sometimes have trouble focusing on his meandering style lol)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

True Anon episode on China is pretty good.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

on the Ethiopia episode they were dunking on Abiy for being incompetent in a way they haven't for Assad or Putin

At least Abiy won his war pretty conclusively

The Hersh episode is amazing

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Xaris posted:

the rwn war ones weren’t always awful but highly dependent on guests. Ames is so afraid of angering the liberal rabbling gbs war psycho class and getting called a tankie so he’s always throwing on a zillion clauses

seems like mark's just gotten in his own head about being wrong about russia's invasion of ukraine that he is hedging and caveating everything in that conflict now

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i haven’t looked into it but wasn’t/isn’t there still going on a mini civil war among the RWN community on the ukraine war too?

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

i haven’t looked into it but wasn’t/isn’t there still going on a mini civil war among the RWN community on the ukraine war too?

I don't think you even have to check, given that most online spaces have erupted into a civil war between Ukraine flag emoji posters and anyone who even for a moment questions their views on the war.

RWN just has more of it because the nature of the podcast means you're going to touch the topic more, and if you come from a perspective that's skeptical of Western intelligence or Twitter war reporting / OSINT types you can throw as many caveats on it as you want and still run afoul of a certain type of poster.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They just should have Hersh come on every few months to tell them what rubes they are.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

i watched the franklin show on youtube & liked it but nevber listened to wtyp

It's pretty good. Someone on Twitter once described it as a guy patiently trying to build a brick wall while two giggling jackasses pelt him with snowballs and that's more or less accurate

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

seems like mark's just gotten in his own head about being wrong about russia's invasion of ukraine that he is hedging and caveating everything in that conflict now

you can hear him second guess himself on certain episodes, lol

its fine to be wrong, you dont have to give the ghouls that have been clamoring for a war with russia for years an inch though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you can hear him second guess himself on certain episodes, lol

its fine to be wrong, you dont have to give the ghouls that have been clamoring for a war with russia for years an inch though
yup

Telluric Whistler posted:

I don't think you even have to check, given that most online spaces have erupted into a civil war between Ukraine flag emoji posters and anyone who even for a moment questions their views on the war.

yup

one day I hope someone writes a book on how collectively the internet turned into bloodlust psycho jingoistic stupor overnight

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

KomradeX posted:

True Anon episode on China is pretty good.
:yeah:

good bit to start the episode off as well.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

R. Mute posted:

:yeah:

good bit to start the episode off as well.

loving fantastic with the NPR voices. I'm surprised the Adolf Hitler Fund wasn't sponsored by the CIA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/intellegint/status/1632864644170907654?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

About PDEs : outside of like very trivial problems you fire that poo poo into Mathematica or MATLAB and do numerical solutions

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Xaris posted:

yup

yup

one day I hope someone writes a book on how collectively the internet turned into bloodlust psycho jingoistic stupor overnight

Like the observation early on that it's the first social media war I think neatly explains this. The narrative leading up to the war, actions within the war, and reporting of the war is all meditated through social media and filtered through your personal curated algorithm.

For many that means not even being aware of the bloodlust inherent in what is in their view an even handed and normal response. They're also not aware of how weird or contradictory things they say are because the facts and narrative are reinforced consistently.

Even removing things one step from the actual fighting and talking about things like Zelensky or sanctions basically gets you no amount of room for discussion.

With the fighting itself, part of the bloodlust is the depersonalization of social media and years of relatively (for the aggressors) bloodless "police actions" by the US. Video seems unreal and we've been mostly alienated from the human costs (even PTSD and loss of limbs gets divorced from death in military propaganda), so calling for more combat and digging in for eternal war seems rather low cost.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I made the mistake of of stating that my country should encourage a ceasefire in the local politics thread lol.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the amount of people who are calling russians orks and cheering on gruesome videos of them dying in war

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
:lol: why am i just now seeing this?

https://twitter.com/Isikoff/status/1606704232349958144

https://twitter.com/CONELRAD6401240/status/1606768666451750912

meanwhile, in UkraineTwitter

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1632814155878092800

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
NOTE: i have no idea why twiiter's algorithm felt the need to add that last tweet in my More Tweets area

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Telluric Whistler posted:

Like the observation early on that it's the first social media war I think neatly explains this. The narrative leading up to the war, actions within the war, and reporting of the war is all meditated through social media and filtered through your personal curated algorithm.

People said this about Syria though as well

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

MikeCrotch posted:

i think ukraine split the western "left" more than syria did

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

there was that whole thing in myanmar but no one bothered pointing the propaganda hose at white people during it

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

anarcholiberals saw reactionary terrorists get defeated in Syria and they are desperate not to see that happen again

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

MikeCrotch posted:

yeah but nobody in the first world cares about arabs

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Racism + Biden needed a war + latent USSR xenophobia by boomers and other olds

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's because putin stole the election and gave us trump

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

I made the mistake of of stating that my country should encourage a ceasefire in the local politics thread lol.

You monsterz how dare you want people to stop dying when the orcs need to be punished more

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Not particularly good with Russia pulverizing their neighbor, but loving around as much as we have in Eastern Europe was bound to eventually provoke a reaction.

Broadly, our history of dumping guns on a bloodbath hasn't ever worked out and always bites us in the rear end. When this kicked off I said at the time that military aid for Ukraine was a mistake that risked a wider war and I still believe that.

Got Ukrainian friends here and I feel so badly for them because they all have close relatives who are over there and in danger.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

KomradeX posted:

You monsterz how dare you want people to stop dying when the orcs need to be punished more

I apologize, I now hate Russia and love Ukraine which is why I think it's good for hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians to continue to be killed and maimed in a neoliberal hell state.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not particularly good with Russia pulverizing their neighbor

Yeah they should be slaughtering brown people somewhere else like a proper civilized nation

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

KomradeX posted:

i unironically want these people to get Probed but :lol: if anyone ever gets so much as a Sixer for spreading langley propaganda in the forum where one of the mods literally have a spouse who works for the Cato Institute

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

i unironically want these people to get Probed but :lol: if anyone ever gets so much as a Sixer for spreading langley propaganda in the forum where one of the mods literally have a spouse who works for the Cato Institute

FF isn't a mod unless there's someone else with a Cato wife

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/jeanuh_/status/1632782072015093761

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

I apologize, I now hate Russia and love Ukraine which is why I think it's good for hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians to continue to be killed and maimed in a neoliberal hell state.

Just as any correct and right thinking Liberal would want

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not particularly good with Russia pulverizing their neighbor, but loving around as much as we have in Eastern Europe was bound to eventually provoke a reaction.

Broadly, our history of dumping guns on a bloodbath hasn't ever worked out and always bites us in the rear end. When this kicked off I said at the time that military aid for Ukraine was a mistake that risked a wider war and I still believe that.

Got Ukrainian friends here and I feel so badly for them because they all have close relatives who are over there and in danger.

*British guy voice*"this is the ONE thing we didn't want to happen"

https://twitter.com/ConversationUS/status/1616129928436584448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Love how everyone forget that all wars end with a negotiated peace.