Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kheldarn posted:

Wow. Full plate for Mega. Finishing that. Doing SOP. Doing Octopath 2.

Can't wait!

oh no

(I sucked at SoP and basically brute forced my way through the story so don't count on that)

wizard2 posted:

:hmmyes:

:hmmno:

ok, so! which games in the franchise and spinoffs, spiritual whatevers, are best if I love the Job System in V? besides XIV and Bravely, of course. am I right in thinking X-2 has something like this with dresses?

Tactics and its spinoffs.

3 is a more limited version of 5 but better than nothing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BisbyWorl posted:

Also a pixel demaster of 11 would take an astronomical amount of work, considering the sheer amount of content an MMO with 6 expacs has.

It was a pixel version but when they announced FF XI was going into maintenence mode they also announced they were making a single player version for mobile.

It got quietly cancelled after 4 years of no news.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The way I describe 11 is that it's a game I desperately want to play without actually having to play it. It seems so cool but also I tried briefly playing it once and hoo boy it has aged like milk.

If nothing else it has given me and my boyfriend our legacy of being cursed by dhalmels.

When we were briefly trying out 11 together we acidentally pissed off a Notorious Monster dhalmel not realizing what it was. I died and then he tried to run away only to discover that NMs have infinite aggro range. That pissed off giraffe literally chased him across the entire map to murder him.

Some months later we were doing things in 14 and were partied together somewhere killing some monsters. In that game when you are partied up nearby monsters will actually chain together in groups when you initiate combat. The area we were in was a place full of floating islands so we go and smack something and then suddenly see an aggro line just going straight up into the sky. We are notably confused until a high level dhalmel sky dives off the island significantly above us to chain together with the other things we smacked. And then it proceeded to murder us because the things on the island way above were significantly higher level.

We do not trust dhalmels.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would not play FF11 but I would read an encyclopedia eorzea-style lorebook about it.

I need to know what happened with the "Moogle Kupo d'Etat: Evil in Small Doses" saga

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It is quite annoying that FF11 lore isn't easily spelled out. You kinda do have to play it to get it. And even then, it's really not particularly easy to follow. Lots of "who is that? should I know who that is?" moments.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's a FFXI LP currently in the works, that might be worth a look

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

wizard2 posted:

ok, so! which games in the franchise and spinoffs, spiritual whatevers, are best if I love the Job System in V? besides XIV and Bravely, of course. am I right in thinking X-2 has something like this with dresses?

X-2 is the big one. 4 Heroes of Light is a predecessor to Bravely, though its job system is a bit more like III than V. Octopath Traveler and its sequel (skip to the sequel if you didn't play the first one) have a job system, though it's not a focus and it's noticeably more restrictive. Tactics and Tactics Advance both have their own spin on it. Stranger of Paradise transposes it into an action game.

Outside of Square Enix, play Crystal Project - that's a strong recommendation for anyone in this thread. The job system is also homaged in Yakuza: Like A Dragon, where the jobs are literally flavored as occupations. Dragon Quest IX's vocation system is the most job system-like in that series. The lesser Mistwalker game Blue Dragon wears its Final Fantasy inspiration on its sleeve and uses a job system.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

wizard2 posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is a great implementation of the jobs system.

If you can somehow play it on the original PSX, bad translation and all, that's your best bet. War of the Lions is available on PSP and I think iOS/Android but there are weird little stutters in the combat and spell effects. Plus while the story makes more sense, everyone talks like they just got out of an audition for a high school production of Hamlet

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Last time I played XI I spent an hour trying to get it to work and less than 5 minutes actually playing it before I uninstalled it.

It's a shame because it's the only mainline FF that's not really accessible these days.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Speaking of LPs, what are the best LPs thread discussion-wise for Final Fantasy? Obviously Elentor's LP of 7 is up there, what with explaining how Sephiroth works as the active antagonist, discussions on character overworld model directing, Keet explaining character design, and Brainamp being the one person in the world not to be spoiled about Aeris's death until the moment the LP reached it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I started playing FFXI like a month ago

It's extremely chill but boy is it arcane top to bottom

It also has the funniest loving retcon I've ever seen where you beat the base game story, watch a very short and barebones cutscene, then zone into a place and a NPC says "boy remember all that CRAZY poo poo that happened" and it plays the cutscene again but with dramatic villain reveals and plot twists happening and then the NPC goes "huh I guess the shock just made you forget"

it's so clumsy I gotta respect it

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Blockhouse posted:

I started playing FFXI like a month ago

It's extremely chill but boy is it arcane top to bottom

It also has the funniest loving retcon I've ever seen where you beat the base game story, watch a very short and barebones cutscene, then zone into a place and a NPC says "boy remember all that CRAZY poo poo that happened" and it plays the cutscene again but with dramatic villain reveals and plot twists happening and then the NPC goes "huh I guess the shock just made you forget"

it's so clumsy I gotta respect it

I did too! Wanted to play a new MMO and figured why not. I have a level 29 RDM/1 BLM. it was kind of trip to make the long trek to Jeuno for the mount quest. I was tickled there was a thing to do to unlock mounts, feels like forever since ive had to do something for that. The Trusts and I even died a couple times on the trip to go farm grass for the it!

Pretty cool. I’m not sure what is expansion-related or not, just enjoying the ride

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I really like FFXI, I still need to go back and finish the other expansions but, despite it's byzantine (probably not the right word since I think that implies a lot of red tape) systems, it's really fun

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you enjoyed FFXI back in the day, you'll really like it now. If you only ever played more modern MMOs, you will probably hate FFXI. If you don't like MMOs at all you'll really hate FFXI.

Unfortunately, FFXI is so arcane and esoteric with all its poo poo you probably won't be able to enjoy it generally. I think the download still takes like 4 hours or whatever because it downloads each file individually or something stupid. Not to mention the password/playonline shenanigans. Just an extremely inaccessible experience.

jokes fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 8, 2023

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
11 was very much a product of the time, from when MMOs were deliberately very byzantine because designers wanted everything to be a group effort and for it to take time and effort and puzzle-solving for people to figure out things. It was a big deal each time a player would discover and finish a new big quest (like a new job quest) for the first time in the game. They’d even get interviewed for playonline sometimes. The closest comp is the original EverQuest but FF11 has the job system, all the FF details and conceits, and, of course, great music.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

I did too! Wanted to play a new MMO and figured why not. I have a level 29 RDM/1 BLM. it was kind of trip to make the long trek to Jeuno for the mount quest. I was tickled there was a thing to do to unlock mounts, feels like forever since ive had to do something for that. The Trusts and I even died a couple times on the trip to go farm grass for the it!

Pretty cool. I’m not sure what is expansion-related or not, just enjoying the ride

hey i'm just gonna say this because you'd get infinite poo poo for it if anybody actually partied on retail and it's part of the classic experience...

level your subjob!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

XI is better than either version of XIV.

I also, should not now or ever be your target demo for pretty much anything unless you enjoy poverty

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you're interested in 14, but don't want to play it/like to play MMOs, Sanguinia is LPing it. From the looks of things, each expansion will get their own thread. Here's the finished thread for A Realm Reborn and Heavensward, and here's the current thread for Stormblood.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Jazerus posted:

hey i'm just gonna say this because you'd get infinite poo poo for it if anybody actually partied on retail and it's part of the classic experience...

level your subjob!!!

Yeah , I need to go do a few things actually. I wanted to finish up the San D’Oria Rank 2 quests and the RoV quest that are in Jeuno’s neck of the woods before going back to buy spells and level BLM. Though I suppose I could level here and let Trusts do the work. I have questions but I’ll take them to the FFXI thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

If you're interested in 14, but don't want to play it/like to play MMOs, Sanguinia is LPing it. From the looks of things, each expansion will get their own thread. Here's the finished thread for A Realm Reborn and Heavensward, and here's the current thread for Stormblood.
those LPs are fine but i wouldn't really call them 'experiencing it.' they're mostly just plot summaries and largely sanguina's own thoughts, not really presenting the actual story.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would not play FF11 but I would read an encyclopedia eorzea-style lorebook about it.

I need to know what happened with the "Moogle Kupo d'Etat: Evil in Small Doses" saga

the player housing moogle mafia gets after your rear end for having a leaky ceiling

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

FFXI was incredible when it came out. The pacing is really contemplative and there are long stretches of distance to travel and time to spend with others getting lost and getting hosed up. Nothing really comes close to recreating that social experience or world immersion nowadays, but that’s okay. I wonder how it holds up on a revisit

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

biceps crimes posted:

FFXI was incredible when it came out. The pacing is really contemplative and there are long stretches of distance to travel and time to spend with others getting lost and getting hosed up. Nothing really comes close to recreating that social experience or world immersion nowadays, but that’s okay. I wonder how it holds up on a revisit

i am playing on the recently launched private server, horizonXI, which is starting out at chains of promathia era (2005) and the plan is to expand the game, eventually into all of the content, but without ever turning on trusts or raising the level cap above 75. there are 2000-4000 people on at any one time, which is roughly what you'd have had on a retail server back in the day, or more.

it's...interesting. the game doesn't respect your time but it respects it more than i remember, at least - travel isn't necessarily quick or easy the first time you do it, but eventually you have a variety of teleportation methods unlocked that can get you pretty much anywhere you want to go fairly quickly. people are generally on board with genuinely trying to make it the social experience it was at the time, and honestly, vana'diel is still a really interesting world with an impressive amount of environmental storytelling going on.

there's a thread up in mmo hmo; if you've ever been curious about what FFXI was like to play as originally intended, this is probably the best chance you'll ever get at experiencing that

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Horizon is also run by psychos (it's a private server after all) and will probably implode upon itself in the next six months

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Endorph posted:

one of the preorder bonuses for A Realm Reborn was a dvd with basically an uncommented let's play of 1.0, and the protag there used the same customization defaults as the Trailer Guy and was named Meteor Survivor.

the name meteor's also appeared in some official merch iirc

Is this on YouTube or anything? Want to see more Trailer Survivor.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I played vanilla FF11 at release in high school. I only got to level 40 or so, despite playing a lot.

The social elements were novel in a way that you couldn't really recreate now. It was really cool at the time to chat with random people from all over the country/world. I remember spending many hours just trying to find good groups that would last more than an hour in the Dunes, though. And I had it relatively easy as a WHM (and one with a female Hume avatar, which is something that actually made a difference Back In The Day).

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I played all of a week of F11 (I did not have the will to continue without RL friends who dropped pretty much immediately lol) but I've always been kinda interested in it. I blame it on the music I guess. Maybe it's worth giving a shot while this private server thing is still running. I genuinely wonder how many new players it actually gets!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I do like the mystique of old style MMOs but that seems like the type of game I could only play if I had six months of comfortable, risk free unemployment, pretty much like 2.0 FF14 lol

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah at the risk of sounding old, playing MMOs was very different back in the day. Now everything is a lot more streamlined and compact and you have quest markers and duty finders and not losing exp when you die.

It's better for the current crowd, but I'm kinda glad I got to experience it back in the day when I had enough spare time to just spend hours getting lost or waiting for spawns or just making a new character entirely.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah I played everquest and later dark age of camelot so I remember the golden time of having time for all that kind of stuff and enjoying it.

Though I don't think 2.0 ffxiv was all that bad, but then again see above lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jazerus posted:

i am playing on the recently launched private server, horizonXI, which is starting out at chains of promathia era (2005) and the plan is to expand the game, eventually into all of the content, but without ever turning on trusts or raising the level cap above 75. there are 2000-4000 people on at any one time, which is roughly what you'd have had on a retail server back in the day, or more.

it's...interesting. the game doesn't respect your time but it respects it more than i remember, at least - travel isn't necessarily quick or easy the first time you do it, but eventually you have a variety of teleportation methods unlocked that can get you pretty much anywhere you want to go fairly quickly. people are generally on board with genuinely trying to make it the social experience it was at the time, and honestly, vana'diel is still a really interesting world with an impressive amount of environmental storytelling going on.

there's a thread up in mmo hmo; if you've ever been curious about what FFXI was like to play as originally intended, this is probably the best chance you'll ever get at experiencing that

Importantly, at that point we were all stupid with bad computers, bad internet, and no understanding of how anything worked outside of word of mouth. Everyone ending up in Valkurm dunes was a purely community-driven thing since the konschtat highlands/la theine plateau were way more amenable at that level and were the adjacent zone to the first zone outside of each city. In fact, they would have been better for small groups of 2-3 people but people were told Valkurm was the fastest so they all went there at 10 and got their asses beat by goblins and hill lizards.

Windurstians were totally hosed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wonder if Valkrum dunes ever got as bad as peak Barrens chat in WoW.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

I have a level 29 RDM/1 BLM.

Level your subjob!!! :argh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I wonder if Valkrum dunes ever got as bad as peak Barrens chat in WoW.

It was basically a misery mire because its where the loot to unlock subjobs dropped.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

WarMECH posted:

Level your subjob!!! :argh:

Wow, there's only a 1-in-64 chance of encountering a Warmech post in the Final Fantasy thread.

Also, indeed, level your loving subjob.

Back in the day (like 2004), I quit playing XI because I leveled down three times in a row due to incompetent healers.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Sometimes I find myself wishing for some of the roughness and community-driven aspects of FF11 before I pull myself back from the brink thinking no, I like not having my night ruined by someone sniping a Dynamis zone or having to sit around for hours for an NM only to get outclaimed.

jokes posted:

Windurstians were totally hosed.

Buburimu was our training weights for when we had to make the run to Jeuno.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've been able to tolerate modern MapleStory for quite a while now so I wonder if FFXI would really be all that bad to me. But the socially-driven stuff is what really pains me, cause I have lots of anxiety about being the weak link in a group no matter what game. This is why I'm glad Trusts exist in it and in XIV as well, it's like... so nice to be able to learn at my own pace before throwing myself into the blender of other people, even if it's not all that hard to begin with.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

a lot of issues I can see people having with ff11 stem from having a relatively clunky setup compared to modern mmos or even maple. like, the standard setup for new players is to be running the game windowed via a 3rd party launcher (because out of the box the game will hard crash if you try to alt tab out and their inbuilt windowed solution sucks rear end) with bg wiki on your other monitor, there's no quest markers and the combat is entirely menu driven.

but if you can get past that you can experience almost the entire game's storyline with trusts, and the only bits you can't is stuff released in the last few years and honestly? who gives a poo poo. rhapsodies is a good enough ending that I haven't felt the need to log back in for the new stuff.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

I played all of a week of F11 (I did not have the will to continue without RL friends who dropped pretty much immediately lol) but I've always been kinda interested in it. I blame it on the music I guess. Maybe it's worth giving a shot while this private server thing is still running. I genuinely wonder how many new players it actually gets!

there are a few running around. i've partied/chatted in linkshell chat with about 10 people who have said they're new to the game, and probably a reasonable number of new people who never said anything. there are a lot of people who played it for a few months in 2005. and haven't played it since. playing, though; this server has a lot more people than any of the previous private servers managed to attract, and they mostly fall into one of those two camps. the proportion of really sweaty vets who have played the game for 20 years is very low.

Alxprit posted:

I've been able to tolerate modern MapleStory for quite a while now so I wonder if FFXI would really be all that bad to me. But the socially-driven stuff is what really pains me, cause I have lots of anxiety about being the weak link in a group no matter what game. This is why I'm glad Trusts exist in it and in XIV as well, it's like... so nice to be able to learn at my own pace before throwing myself into the blender of other people, even if it's not all that hard to begin with.

to be honest, while ffxi combat is fun, the average encounter is not especially complex. pretty much any role other than healer is low pressure stuff, so you could start as a monk or black mage maybe and get a feel for how things work through observation while just punching things or casting spells on the monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I personally wouldn't recommend any spellcaster as a first job because early scroll availability is a fickle beast based entirely on your starting nation and their weekly conquest ranking, and in general scroll costs ramp up quickly to the point where you're either dropping Way Too Much on scrolls sold by npcs or watching the AH like a hawk for someone to post something that hasn't had a listing in a week.