Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

After being a general pain in the rear end to lenders, I have an official loan estimate and locked rate! :woop: Details for the number curious:

• Conventional 30-year fixed
  • 490k purchase with 5% down
  • Rate is locked for 60 days at 5.5% with no points!!! (shout out to Bread Set Jettison for pointing me to Rockland Trust over in the Boston LAN thread); APR comes to 5.725%
  • PMI is ~$80 with a credit score of over 800
  • Origination charges are $1100 and "services you cannot shop for" are ~3k; total closing cost is just over 10k plus owner's title insurance at 850, which I'll definitely get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

After being a general pain in the rear end to lenders, I have an official loan estimate and locked rate! :woop: Details for the number curious:

• Conventional 30-year fixed
  • 490k purchase with 5% down
  • Rate is locked for 60 days at 5.5% with no points!!! (shout out to Bread Set Jettison for pointing me to Rockland Trust over in the Boston LAN thread); APR comes to 5.725%
  • PMI is ~$80 with a credit score of over 800
  • Origination charges are $1100 and "services you cannot shop for" are ~3k; total closing cost is just over 10k plus owner's title insurance at 850, which I'll definitely get

Congrats dude! Glad I could help.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

After being a general pain in the rear end to lenders, I have an official loan estimate and locked rate!
If the brokers aren’t getting snippy with you, you haven’t pushed them hard enough.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Dik Hz posted:

If the brokers aren’t getting snippy with you, you haven’t pushed them hard enough.

Yeah, now that you have an estimate form with a rate lock you should show that form to a few more folks.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah, now that you have an estimate form with a rate lock you should show that form to a few more folks.
Yup. When they start accusing you of fabricating a loan estimate document, you probably have a good deal.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I did and they were all like, yeah we can't beat that :shobon:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dik Hz posted:

Yup. When they start accusing you of fabricating a loan estimate document, you probably have a good deal.

When the emails start getting angry, that’s when you know you’re getting there.

The house buying process taught me I have a very unique kink.

I have not explored that at home yet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anyone want to give me their unfiltered opinion on buying an attached townhome in Marin (CA)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sounds cool do it op

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I bet you're too chickenshit to put down a 10% earnest money deposit this very instant, you fuckin pissbelly coward!!!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Anyone want to give me their unfiltered opinion on buying an attached townhome in Marin (CA)

Depends on where you're working, how rich you are, whether you hate the sort of person who lives in Marin, and what your tolerance is for termites.

quote:

I bet you're too chickenshit to put down a 10% earnest money deposit this very instant, you fuckin pissbelly coward!!!

Who the gently caress has $275,000 just sitting around in this economy? :v: (Actually, depending on where in Marin he's talking, it could be like $550K-$5M price-tag.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hadlock posted:

What's the drainage like, and where would you be commuting to?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think we're going to do a unicorn 5% down :slick:

Commuting to SF 2-3 days a week probably. Looks like reasonable access to the larkspur ferry so I don't have to drive across the bridge. Wife is a big fan of the public schools up there.

Drainage looks good it's... The road in front of the townhome is at least a 2% grade and it's at least 10' above the "flats'"of the city uh, main plain, so immune to sea rise through at least the end of my natural life

My tolerance for termites is low but it's higher than living in a swamp on the east coast for one more year with so many mosquitoes you can't go outside

Edit: it's a townhouse and it's a lot closer to the 550k number quoted than you might think. Basically the cheapest townhouse in Marin with functional plumbing (actually the sewer lateral is due for replacement and the HOA has paperwork in place to file for the replacement so maybe not)

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 8, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We had fun thinking about it, but decided to rent longer. Both of our jobs aren’t really moored. We might try to find a house for rent, which is definitely in our price range around here. Be easier to nab a good one now that we are local.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I have an accepted offer! We found a beautiful house that we're buying from the original builder/owner and ~40 minutes total to Grand Central in NYC. I think we got really lucky because the house was on the market for ~6 months with too high a price, and our offer was 15% under list.

I guess the next step is shopping around to find the best mortgage lender. Does anybody have suggestions for local lenders in the NYC area?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Congrats!

Update from me, just signed purchase and sales agreement and sent over the rest of the down payment. Now I stop panicking??

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Xyven posted:

I have an accepted offer! We found a beautiful house that we're buying from the original builder/owner and ~40 minutes total to Grand Central in NYC. I think we got really lucky because the house was on the market for ~6 months with too high a price, and our offer was 15% under list.

I guess the next step is shopping around to find the best mortgage lender. Does anybody have suggestions for local lenders in the NYC area?

Nobody ever actually gets "really lucky." It's just the lie we tell ourselves to convince... ourselves that getting into the debtors prison that is home ownership was a good idea!

But congrats none-the-less!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Now I stop panicking??!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Now I stop panicking??

Lol you haven't even begun to taste the exquisite heights of panic yet.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol you haven't even begun to taste the exquisite heights of panic yet.

Strong 8pm-on-a-Wednesday-Home-Depot-trip vibes.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Strong 8pm-on-a-Wednesday-Home-Depot-trip vibes.

"Honey! Keep bailing while I find the street shutoff!"

An actual phrase from the Sundae household

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hadlock posted:

Drainage looks good it's... The road in front of the townhome is at least a 2% grade and it's at least 10' above the "flats'"of the city uh, main plain, so immune to sea rise through at least the end of my natural life

Flooding in Marin is not just oceanic; there are also more and more problems with groundwater.

quote:

As Marin communities look to bolster shoreline defenses against the rising ocean, a new study has made clear another threat sitting a few feet beneath the earth’s surface that could worsen flooding impacts in spite of these fortifications.

Published this month, the report details areas in Marin and three other Bay Area counties that have shallow groundwater, which could rise closer to the surface as denser ocean water presses further inland and enters the groundwater table.

Through time, this groundwater could begin to damage the foundations of homes, underground electrical and sewage lines, expose contaminants and worsen flooding during storms.

“There is still a lot more work to be done to develop strategies to deal with both the type of flooding that is direct inundation from the bay as well as water coming up from below,” said Ellen Plane, an environmental scientist with the San Francisco Estuary Institute and one of the lead authors of the report.

Check where the house is on the groundwater map linked to from the article.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the house is in a rare spot without groundwater issue after checking the map provided, thank you

Looks like the electrical panel is a Zinsco from, almost certainly 1966 which puts it in the middle of the 1960s aluminum wire fiasco :negative:

I don't feel like paying to get the house rewired but probably need to get the panel replaced as house is uninsurable. Presumably aluminum wiring will need to get ripped out but uh, can that be a future problem or should we kill the deal.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Hadlock posted:

Yeah the house is in a rare spot without groundwater issue after checking the map provided, thank you

Looks like the electrical panel is a Zinsco from, almost certainly 1966 which puts it in the middle of the 1960s aluminum wire fiasco :negative:

I don't feel like paying to get the house rewired but probably need to get the panel replaced as house is uninsurable. Presumably aluminum wiring will need to get ripped out but uh, can that be a future problem or should we kill the deal.
In that area, at your price range, is every other house you look at gonna be similar vintage? If so, you'll likely have the same issue again anyways.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

An electrician may not want to install a panel without replacing wiring that is or potentially is dangerous. They'll have to "touch" the runs that enter the panel and they likely don't want to be responsible for anything that happens with those runs subsequently.

Also obviously you should replace dangerous wiring regardless. Do not die in a fire, please. The reason old aluminum wiring is not to code any more is because it expands and contracts with temp changes too much and weathers badly and basically it's poo poo. Get rid of it if you find it.

e. also I don't think this is a deal-killer, just a defect to note on the inspection so you can demand a $10k reduction in the price, and then negotiate down to $2k, and then pay $12.5k this summer to get the work done.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah at this price range everything was built before ~1975. The seller has a fairly unique last name and apparently is an unmarried pulitzer prize winning english major(?!) last time I checked english majors do not have "studs out remodeling in the bay area" money even at their level.

We can afford to buy this but we cannot afford to buy this then immediately rewire the house so that we can meet insurance requirements. Google is unclear if aluminum wiring is insurable or not, or if it's a 20-90% increase in fire hazard insurance.

Edit: we haven't bought it, yet, just trying to understand if we're also buying a $70,000+ rewiring project or not

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also you shouldn't be buying a house if you can't afford an immediate $10k hit in repairs. The year you move in is often the costliest in terms of fixing poo poo. Budget accordingly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

$10k in repairs is fine. $70k is not. I have no idea what that costs in the bay area, it's a 2 story structure so probably pretty extensive work pulling out all the wiring and replacing it I would think. $10k seems really low but maybe I'm grossly overestimating?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is no world where it costs $70k to rewire a house lmao, expecially not a ~$500k townhome

for reference I'm in Concord and my neighbor's contractor quoted me ~$8k to relocate and replace my panel and rewire my whole 1200 square foot house and install a half dozen can lights. That's not including the inevitable drywall repair work which I can do myself. He's probably on the discount range of things so let's say $12k ballpark for you up in Marin and you might go up or down from there depending on the actual scope of work.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 8, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok that's reasonable. It's a little more than $550 was just trying to say I'm not splashing a bunch of cash for something hugely fancy. I think we can sell the wife on $12k. Thanks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like the drywall skimcoat has 2% asbestos in the disclosures. So uh that's required to be disclosed to I guess the electrician, who is now going to charge approximately triple for hazmat stuff I presume, and also why the wiring hasn't been updated yet. Guessing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Are you sure you don't want to stay on the east coast? :v:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:suicide:

Sure as poo poo making me reconsider any construction before 1995

Just added a whole wall of contingencies which means we're no longer going to get the offer accepted :emo:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well, at least you’ve clued me in on another thing to watch out for. :v:

I’m sorry, that really sucks.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hadlock posted:

Looks like the drywall skimcoat has 2% asbestos in the disclosures. So uh that's required to be disclosed to I guess the electrician, who is now going to charge approximately triple for hazmat stuff I presume, and also why the wiring hasn't been updated yet. Guessing.

The funny thing is that you know the electrician will just pocket the money and do everything exactly as they would have anyway.

I've never had any tradesman take me up on my offer of free PPE when they work on my house.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Hadlock posted:

:suicide:

Sure as poo poo making me reconsider any construction before 1995

Just added a whole wall of contingencies which means we're no longer going to get the offer accepted :emo:

I was really surprised when my offer got accepted (out of nine competing offers), even with an inspection and appraisal contingency. We were putting 20% down so I’m guessing that was part of what got us ahead of the next best offer, and due to the realtor not redacting it, I found out they were only putting 5% down.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah and really I don't think there's much asbestos exposure when it comes to skim coat but it's NorCal so getting the state EPA involved and calling in the cavalry

We decided to put in our 5% over ask offer and I guess there's six all over asking offers on this asbestos superfund fire hazard death trap. loving love it. To be fair it's like, probably the only 4 bed 2.5 bath townhouse on the market which are a hot commodity in the post covid WFH world

Back to looking at weird musty duplexes in Daly city I guess

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's theoretically possible to re-wire without disturbing the drywall, if all the new wiring can be fished to existing receptacles.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress a ‘besto I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah and really I don't think there's much asbestos exposure when it comes to skim coat but it's NorCal so getting the state EPA involved and calling in the cavalry

We decided to put in our 5% over ask offer and I guess there's six all over asking offers on this asbestos superfund fire hazard death trap. loving love it. To be fair it's like, probably the only 4 bed 2.5 bath townhouse on the market which are a hot commodity in the post covid WFH world

Back to looking at weird musty duplexes in Daly city I guess

One of the problems with buying in CA (it’s an issue everywhere, but seems supercharged here) is that even if you’re knowingly buying a deathtrap that you know needs work and that you yourself want to live in, you’re inevitably up against 10 people with deeper pockets who magically know a handful of subcontractors who will get the house to a [livable but not great] state for cheaper than you can repair it, and then just rent it out. It sucks