Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Whew this uh... mating chapter (The Wandering Inn Vol 2) is something else.

Is that the awkward tail-rubbing one? I thought pirate removed that one tbh lol boy that was rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

It was an april fools joke, I thought it was pretty funny for what it was.

I doubt it makes it into the volume 2 rewrite whenever that ends up happening.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

There are two dating chapters that I remember and they both were bad.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I like that the Wandering Inn and the Adventurer's Haven both clearly deserve the other's name more.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

It was an april fools joke, I thought it was pretty funny for what it was.

I doubt it makes it into the volume 2 rewrite whenever that ends up happening.

I figure if you write a hundred thousand words on knotting as a joke then at the end of the day you've still written a hundred thousand words on knotting lol

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I figure if you write a hundred thousand words on knotting as a joke then at the end of the day you've still written a hundred thousand words on knotting lol
yeah but it's pirate so that literally is just one day

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Peachfart posted:

There are two dating chapters that I remember and they both were bad.

Ah, I see you haven't encountered THE SACRED TEXTS

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Big fan of how bumbling the dragon is as I watch Ryoka get her memories back. TWI Vol 2.

I especially like that he has to have her leave and reenter the the cave a couple of times to redo entire conversations because he screwed up so bad.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 8, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ytlaya posted:

This is very good. I like the pacing a lot and the "word chain" concept is pretty neat.

Edit: While I'm not a fan of "systems" with stats and stuff, this story at least seems to be taking a unique angle to it. The only aspect that I have a feeling will be kind of unbelievable is that the protagonist is absolutely going to find some novel applications of skills that people really should have figured out by now (like the luggage one, which can probably be used to hold a metaphysical concept like word-chain debt or something). The stuff with him getting a weird sense from sharing his blood with Gorgon is cool, though. That's a really good excuse for giving the protagonist a unique ability (and one that has interesting interactions with the setting).

I would not be at all surprised if the luggage ability turns out to be next to useless. Gorgon was extremely limited on the hints (it?) could provide and may have given the hint only to indicate the class, not a recommended skill.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it's super powerful. That humans aren't using the system to its full extent isn't even subtext. It's just text. Frequently repeated text at that. The aliens who gave them the powers don't seem to want humans who can make full use of their skill set. All the "magic" in the setting works on a concept of equivalent exchange, so an information disparity is the only way for the aliens to get a better deal than the humans.

The aliens probably never intended the chainer family to trade word chains like that, so there's probably some pretty significant limits to how much the aliens can screw the humans.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

LLSix posted:

I would not be at all surprised if the luggage ability turns out to be next to useless. Gorgon was extremely limited on the hints (it?) could provide and may have given the hint only to indicate the class, not a recommended skill.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it's super powerful. That humans aren't using the system to its full extent isn't even subtext. It's just text. Frequently repeated text at that. The aliens who gave them the powers don't seem to want humans who can make full use of their skill set. All the "magic" in the setting works on a concept of equivalent exchange, so an information disparity is the only way for the aliens to get a better deal than the humans.

The aliens probably never intended the chainer family to trade word chains like that, so there's probably some pretty significant limits to how much the aliens can screw the humans.

(Super Supporter) After reading through everything: I'm pretty sure it's because of an interaction with his connection to Gorgon. His thought when he can't drink hot chocolate in chapter 10 is "The cow didn't give it to me." Let Me Take Your Luggage is about people giving him items, if just so he can take them somewhere else. Given that Gorgon referred to Alden's food offers as "offerings" and the "uneven" feeling Alden is getting from people with Wordchain debt, I'm guessing that every time he gets given an item, he's building up something he can use.

Or it's a loophole related to the Gorgon connection and he's gaining the amazing power of mail theft. One of the two.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

I doubt this is the case (at least to any significant degree), since it's mentioned that their family actually has a closer and more friendly relationship with the aliens specifically because of their heavy use and better understanding of word chains. It's not like they've discovered forbidden knowledge - they're respected/liked by the aliens for it.

I think it's more that the aliens just don't really mind either way, since they presumably hold control over the System and aren't really threatened by any of their vassals. The protagonist is a unique situation because he has gained some sort of abilities outside of the System through whatever he did with Gorgon.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

At Ryoka's 2nd magic training session, and I'm glad she's at least thinking about why the heck the world is so weird with levels and skills. Isekai often just gloss over stuff like that and just use it as a convenient and understandable system that they don't have to think much about and their audience will intuitively understand from games. Having a character who specifically refuses to adopt any skills/classes and questions the whole system leads me to have some hope that the author has some deeper plans for the background of it.
TWI: Vol 2

Edit: continuing my thoughts rather than double post.
Erin's strange mood to make her artifact fairy feast was kinda neat. The fairy's trick of the gold seemed pretty obvious to me even without her skeleton pointing it out. They continue to be jerks but hey at least she got like 3 or 4 innkeeping levels out of it. She's only a few levels away from Relc's in his main class now I think and has only been in this world like a month. I can't really parse what all was going on with her dream a bit earlier exactly, but I imagine that'll be important.

Getting to the Gazi chapter
I'm not sure how I feel about Flos. He doesn't seem like a *bad* guy since he's obviously concerned about his subjects, but at the same time has been incredibly selfish over the last 10 years by letting his people starve to death because he got bored with his world conquest.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 9, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I started reading Super Supportive and I really like it so far. Only on chapter nine but I'm impressed.

I really like how subtle they are with some of the world building. The line that went something like "The aliens arrived in the 1970s. Sixty years later, most everyone agreed that it was a good thing. We probably wouldn't even have cell phones or the internet if not for the Artoans." really wowed me. Earth has been colonized so successfully that the average kid thinks it was a great thing.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Started reading https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/65109/the-villainess-is-an-ss-rank-adventurer and the first couple chapters had me cracking up. Not sure how long the premise of princess completely misunderstanding commoners (and her abilities) can last but definitely worth checking out.

Something about the princess's haughty yet ernest internal voice works perfect with the absurdity of events.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hah, that was a good conclusion to the whole ordeal. (The Wandering Inn: Vol 2) Ryoka traveled across maybe a quarter of a continent, braved fairies trying to kill her. Weaved her way through two armies at each other's throats, and evaded the 3 champions of The Necromancer to deliver…. A trinket and a letter of well-wishing for Az’kerash's 200th birthday.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Holy crap Only Villains Do That is back and I can't wait to see how Seiji gets himself in trouble with UNLIMITED POWER

Edit: also wonder who, if anyone, was teleported to the Yomiko shrine room.

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 10, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hmm… not sure if a religious Pawn and (potentially) religious Colony is a good or bad thing. Maybe it will reduce/eliminate the creation of aberrations when making individuals? At least it gave him some purpose. I also wonder if collective belief in a deity will go about creating one or more in this world. Maybe this will herald the return of the miracles mentioned last book? TWI: Vol 2

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I shudder to think about the kind of trouble Erin could get up to with the power of a god. There sure a lot of people who believe in her, too.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Finished everything that is out for Super Supporter, and yeah, this story slaps. Especially love Gorgon. More alien Buddhas plotting the destruction of their imperial oppressors, please.

I love how much stuff feels like it's setting up for future developments while being so seamless that it could end up being nothing. Main character joking about a teleportation power feels like a guarantee that his transport power evolves to have some teleportation component. Mentioning that it's possible to rank up feels like a promise that the MC will eventually get to higher ranks. All of his disdain for politics is going to make it so tragic as he gets enmeshed in politics through frequent summoning by the Artoan assholes.

Good story so far and it feels full of promise. Kind of wish I stumbled across it when it has another 100 chapters.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Wittgen posted:

Good story so far and it feels full of promise. Kind of wish I stumbled across it when it has another 100 chapters.

This is so true. Wish RR had some option to see rising stars from 6+ months ago that are still updating. A lot of interesting stuff I find either gets dropped before chapter 20 or runs out of plot and goes off the rails.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Kyoujin posted:

This is so true. Wish RR had some option to see rising stars from 6+ months ago that are still updating. A lot of interesting stuff I find either gets dropped before chapter 20 or runs out of plot and goes off the rails.

My follows is a graveyard of good stories hitting that particular wall.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Look at you Ryoka, going from an absolute selfish bastard last book to sacrificing two fingers to save a child in this one. Quite the turn around. TWI: Vol 2

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Just chiming in to say it's nice to have TWI discussion again. When I was getting through the bulk of it it kind of felt like the thread was very over it at the time.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Jesus Christ. I just checked a Wandering Inn word count tracker out of curiosity, and the current total (actually about 4 chapters behind the Patreon) is at 11,197,590. Once you’re through with Vol. 2, you’ll be almost 8% of the way through! Congrats!

(It’s absolutely my favorite ongoing story, good luck with your trip through it!)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Aware posted:

Just chiming in to say it's nice to have TWI discussion again. When I was getting through the bulk of it it kind of felt like the thread was very over it at the time.

there's a couple of regulars in this thread that just don't vibe with pirateaba's prose, plus alot of people were dissatisfied with developments in the previous volume for pretty straightforward reasons

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wittgen posted:

I started reading Super Supportive and I really like it so far. Only on chapter nine but I'm impressed.

I really like how subtle they are with some of the world building. The line that went something like "The aliens arrived in the 1970s. Sixty years later, most everyone agreed that it was a good thing. We probably wouldn't even have cell phones or the internet if not for the Artoans." really wowed me. Earth has been colonized so successfully that the average kid thinks it was a great thing.

One element I find interesting is how there are basically two "sides" to the superhuman "scene." People are turned into superhumans by the Artonans' System so that they can be used as vassal troops, but everything about superhero culture on Earth is still dictated by humans, since the Artonans don't really give a poo poo as long as Earth is churning out super-powered troops for them.

There's also gotta be some greater significance to the word-chain stuff. My hypothesis is that Artonans are spreading that part of their culture as a way to create plentiful ignorant counterparties for their own word-chains. So basically like financial markets IRL, where more sophisticated institutional investors encourage increased retail investment by laypeople through platforms like Robinhood.

Word-chains also function in such a way that one person is losing something and the other gains for any given trade. Unlike financial markets, however, you seemingly can't profit in the long term (since you develop a sort of karmic debt - that our protagonist can now sense). But that doesn't mean you can't still use it to your overall benefit, and teaching other planets how to do word-chains effectively increases word-chain "liquidity."

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Silynt posted:

Jesus Christ. I just checked a Wandering Inn word count tracker out of curiosity, and the current total (actually about 4 chapters behind the Patreon) is at 11,197,590. Once you’re through with Vol. 2, you’ll be almost 8% of the way through! Congrats!

(It’s absolutely my favorite ongoing story, good luck with your trip through it!)

Yeah, when I said it was the longest single written work in human history I wasn't exaggerating. I just don't understand how it's possible and she's still trucking at it.

I took a break in the middle of volume 8 and it's daunting to try going back, as much as I want to continue the story.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Yeah, when I said it was the longest single written work in human history I wasn't exaggerating. I just don't understand how it's possible and she's still trucking at it.

I took a break in the middle of volume 8 and it's daunting to try going back, as much as I want to continue the story.

I believe there are a few non-English stories that are longer, but it takes the English language crown.

This is disqualifying that one story that pastes whole wikipedia articles into it for whatever reason, and is at like... 14m? words, but when you've copy-pasted some 12m of them from a different source it doesn't count.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I spent a few minutes googling and I believe "The Loud House: Revamped" has TWI thoroughly beaten on wordcount at 16,777,215 words. A quick glance at it convinced me that TWI is significantly better written. I say this as someone who stopped reading TWI years ago. I'm inclined to believe that nobody should subject themselves to reading "The Loud House: Revamped."

This article lists several multi-million word series, it's possible one of them is worth reading. I'm neither brave nor bored enough to investigate: https://slate.com/culture/2022/02/l...illion%20words.

It's a surprisingly frustrating topic to research. Most online lists of written works by length neglect to include A Wheel of Time which clocks in at just under 5 million words, well above the lowest word count on all lists and in some cases above the "longest" work in the list. Supposedly there are a couple of multi-million word "novels," but at that length, the very concept of a novel has been rather badly stretched.

Oh hey, goon written Katalepsis has 1.6 million words according to RR. Good job!

How many is BtDEM? The Royal Road word count is inaccurate.

I kind of wonder what the word count of Paradise Lost is up to now.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 11, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'd probably say I'm enjoying The Wandering Inn more than any other web novel that I've read so far. A lot of it is due to the relentlessly innocent and positive Erin. Unlike a lot of Isekai stories where the MC is a broody loser, she's just a really personable person. She keeps building up her collection of lost souls who find their way to her inn and who find their life turned around for it.

I'm just getting to the part where she visits Lady Magnolia and she is somehow thawing the hearts of her butler and maid with her childlike wonder.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm betting its some random Chinese web novel that is actually the longest. They are regularly 1000s of chapters long.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, since that's industry often pays by the word there's a lot of incentive to write an absurd amount and cut corners. There are Chinese web novels with entire paragraphs repeated verbatim hundreds of times, because every time the Gem of Immortality is mentioned you can just copy and paste the full description and make twenty more cents.

I wouldn't be surprised if some have entire books that are just a previous book with a few key terms find and replaced. So instead of journeying through the rainbow city and battling the Azure Dragon he journeys though the Blood City and battles the Crimson Crocodile.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Selkie Myth posted:

I believe there are a few non-English stories that are longer, but it takes the English language crown.

This is disqualifying that one story that pastes whole wikipedia articles into it for whatever reason, and is at like... 14m? words, but when you've copy-pasted some 12m of them from a different source it doesn't count.

Oops I definitely meant to include English as a qualifier in that because I'm sure there's a few Chinese web novels up there too.

It's certainly way more well written than any of the awful fanfic that's millions of words like that loud house thing I broke my eyeballs trying to read lol

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

I was the same, I caught up on all of Volume 8 in the break before volume 9 started and it is definitely beefy. That was the last time I checked the word count so I didn’t realize until today that volume 9 is already up to 1.5 million words on its own. Pirate is wild.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm betting its some random Chinese web novel that is actually the longest. They are regularly 1000s of chapters long.

Almost all the time those chapters will be very short compared to TWI's chapters. I'd imagine a 10:1 ratio.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
from what i recall there's a work written in hindi that blows TWI out of the water in terms of wordcount

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

from what i recall there's a work written in hindi that blows TWI out of the water in terms of wordcount

Are you thinking of the Mahabharata (or the Bhagavad Gita which is part of it)? Google says it’s less than 2 million words if I remember right. Well short of TWI, but still a truly impressive considering it was passed through oral traditions for who knows how long.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

LLSix posted:

Are you thinking of the Mahabharata (or the Bhagavad Gita which is part of it)? Google says it’s less than 2 million words if I remember right. Well short of TWI, but still a truly impressive considering it was passed through oral traditions for who knows how long.

no not the mahabharata, this was a fiction work written in the 20th century that ended up 16-20 million words long

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

LLSix posted:

How many is BtDEM? The Royal Road word count is inaccurate.

Believe it or not, I don't know.

I'm around 1.5 million, probably a little short of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Kyoujin posted:

100%!! Had my heart broken so many times