Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

mastershakeman posted:

it's kind of funny that Soloman Thomas busted almost as bad as Mitch

and how the gently caress can Richardson be seriously considered so high if he's that bad in college? Mitch's stats didn't jump out whatsoever (especially with a bad defense so he was throwing a lot) and his team record was crap

Step 1: 10.00 RAS
Step 2: ??????
Step 3: Canton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

mastershakeman posted:

and how the gently caress can Richardson be seriously considered so high if he's that bad in college? Mitch's stats didn't jump out whatsoever (especially with a bad defense so he was throwing a lot) and his team record was crap

Josh Allen broke a lot of brains

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Who can tell me some stuff about Brian Branch? He could possibly be available for the Bucs at 19 and they need a ton of secondary help.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dude is the definition of "sure tackler."

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

fsif posted:

When Allen first broke out the refrain here was that his success was going to trick GMs into drafting toolsy guys that are lovely QBs for the next couple decades.

Anyway pretty cool that Richardson can jump high.

There's been a lot of qbs outside of Allen that had been considered projects with great athletic traits when they were drafted make it recently. Hurts, Lamar, mahomes to a degree. Herbert maybe? A lot of people didn't like the selection due to his college play, even though he was at one time the consensus #1.

All way better/more productive college players then Allen and Richardson, but there's more guys you could point to who were thought of as not the finished product who actually did get there recently. As such, your team's gm should totally trade three first rounders to draft Richardson at 1.1

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm getting frustrated about people mocking him to the Seahawks at 5, I couldn't imagine teams giving up stuff to draft him.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

joe football posted:

There's been a lot of qbs outside of Allen that had been considered projects with great athletic traits when they were drafted make it recently. Hurts, Lamar, mahomes to a degree. Herbert maybe? A lot of people didn't like the selection due to his college play, even though he was at one time the consensus #1.

All way better/more productive college players then Allen and Richardson, but there's more guys you could point to who were thought of as not the finished product who actually did get there recently. As such, your team's gm should totally trade three first rounders to draft Richardson at 1.1

Allen was actively awful in college against G5 competition.

He's a loving unicorn

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Sister committed suicide and it really hosed him up

Yeah I just don’t think football was ever a real priority for him after that. But he’s stuck around and kept making rosters. Seems like he played a respectable percentage of snaps for the Jets last year

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah I just don’t think football was ever a real priority for him after that. But he’s stuck around and kept making rosters. Seems like he played a respectable percentage of snaps for the Jets last year

Yeah he's jumped on doing a lot of advocacy stuff while bouncing around. One of those guys who I feel like doesn't have a high enough profile that he could get a Walter Payton nod. I don't know enough about his work outside the game though and am partial to people trying to do any mental health work so biased.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Dude is the definition of "sure tackler."

I think I heard someone on some podcast say that he's missed **3** tackles in his college career? Something insane like that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Is it a missed tackle if you grab a guy's jersey because that's as close as you can get and he runs out of your hand grip?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

joe football posted:

Did you say at one time Allen was the consensus #1 or am I misreading that? Because that is 100% wrong. And the difference between Allen in college and Hurts, Lamar, and Mahomes is that the later three were really good college quarterbacks.

I 100% agree with that last sentence.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

joe football posted:

I wonder if there’s anyone out there who wants to take a flyer on Tyler Van Dyke because Herbert demonstrated that Mario Cristobal holds QBs back.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cavauro posted:

Is it a missed tackle if you grab a guy's jersey because that's as close as you can get and he runs out of your hand grip?

No, that sounds Ike you having a stroke

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ok

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I'm kind of shocked at the amount of people in this thread that think Richardson completely sucks and couldn't imagine ever drafting him round 1.

Upside wins Super Bowls. The right QB with the right coach wins Super Bowls. Feels pretty easy to imagine taking Richardson top 15 if you believe in your coaching staff and think the guy has an outside shot to be a top 3 QB in the league.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fennesz posted:

I'm kind of shocked at the amount of people in this thread that think Richardson completely sucks and couldn't imagine ever drafting him round 1.

you're shocked that there are people in the draft thread who have seen him play quarterback?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

fennesz posted:

Upside wins Super Bowls. The right QB with the right coach wins Super Bowls. Feels pretty easy to imagine taking Richardson top 15 if you believe in your coaching staff and think the guy has an outside shot to be a top 3 QB in the league.

Why would you think he has an outside shot to be a top 3 QB in the league?

or more of a shot than Will Levis or Hendon Hooker or anyone else that's not in the Stroud/Young tier?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fennesz posted:

Nah, what wins Super Bowls are good quarterbacks. Athletic =/ good. Thinking you can fix someone with a history of problems at the position when a guy with lesser traits, but film that shows good accuracy and decision making is hubris.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fennesz posted:

:yeah:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that seems like a pointless thing to say, most Coaches think they can do that, and guess how that tends to work out?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean if he reaches his ceiling, it's like best QB ever type stuff.

His ceiling is astronomical.

Uh, he likely won't tho.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think it's fair to be high on richardson in part because he's not 24 and you are confident in yourself and your staff as coaches. not gameplan coaches but player coaches. not "player coach" like a player who coaches, or someone who the players like, but someone who is good at coaching a player. improving a player through coaching. that's something that is a paid position. hell, i don't know!

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

wandler20 posted:

What the hell ever happened with him? Seemed like he was a sure fire lock to be a solid to great player.

A lot of people assumed that the eyeball test and his production in college meant more than him being small and short-armed for the kind of stuff he was doing and it ended up not working nearly as well against NFL athletes.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

fennesz posted:

I mean, in the FSU game he threw 11 straight incompletions including simple check downs to his backs. His accuracy is a huge red flag and that's kind of important.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He's a lottery pick. Young and Stroud are most likely gonna be good but they aren't generational talents. So all it takes is for a team to say they want to buy that lottery ticket for an outside chance of hitting it big rather than playing it safe to draft him over the others.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Sataere posted:

Did you say at one time Allen was the consensus #1 or am I misreading that? Because that is 100% wrong. And the difference between Allen in college and Hurts, Lamar, and Mahomes is that the later three were really good college quarterbacks.

I 100% agree with that last sentence.

Nah Herbert was thought to be #1 after his junior year, went back and had some questionable play that soured people on him a bit. Though just looking at his record and stats on paper it's hard to see in retrospect, but I going into the draft people were definitely questioning him

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

joe football posted:

Nah Herbert was thought to be #1 after his junior year, went back and had some questionable play that soured people on him a bit. Though just looking at his record and stats on paper it's hard to see in retrospect, but I going into the draft people were definitely questioning him

Okay, I thought I was taking crazy pills for a second.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dexo posted:

I mean if he reaches his ceiling, it's like best QB ever type stuff.

His ceiling is astronomical.

Uh, he likely won't tho.

Spencer Hall did Richardson, and I guarantee he's watched more of him than most of us have. Even if we don't really go to him for straight football analysis as often as the *waves at everything he does* he knows what he's talking about generally. Won't quote the whole article but the sum up:

quote:

PROS IN ANTHONY RICHARDSON’S FAVOR AS A POTENTIAL QUARTERBACK, BASED STRICTLY OFF HIS PERFORMANCE IN TWELVE GAMES AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL

• Will actually stay in the pocket and look to throw after resetting. He’s not a one read and run college QB, even though there were multiple points this season where maybe that would have been a better call than what he actually did.
  • Read some meat and potatoes poo poo really well. Whether it’s levels-type concepts or basic man beaters off pressure, Richardson eventually made those right calls in 2022. Pretty nice off rollout play-action, too, where he will take easy money by hitting tight ends and running backs trailing him in the flat.
  • Will read checkdowns without pressure. I’m utterly convinced that the key to long-term survival in football involves taking stupid-easy completions whenever possible. Brad Johnson got called “Captain Checkdown” but fourteen years in the league and a ring will get you a comfortable retirement making trick shot videos on TikTok. Richardson will take checkdowns and seems to have no ego about doing so, and Brad Johnson is a god at Pop-A-Shot. Both represent the same goal here.
  • Accuracy and touch on the deep ball are both nice. Richardson’s coin flip is this: While he might throw the ball at fifty miles an hour on checkdowns, that horsepower translates beautifully on deep balls. No one caught them for him this year at Florida, but that wasn’t his fault.

CONS AGAINST ANTHONY RICHARDSON’S FAVOR AS A POTENTIAL QUARTERBACK, BASED STRICTLY OFF HIS PERFORMANCE IN TWELVE GAMES AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL

• Can go late on intermediate throws across the middle. He threw a couple of nasty picks like this, including a crucial one in the Florida State game turning an open slant into a turnover.
  • Misses a good chunk of swing/screens and layups. His placement on the little stuff is mostly a matter of footwork, but we can’t assume instant improvement or a miracle happening overnight. He hammers short passes when he doesn’t have to, and sometimes just misses them on location completely. There’s a thing on bubble screens where placement matters in terms of putting the runner in the right lane to hit open grass, and Richardson missed that kind of touch and technique with some frequency.
  • Still rushes reads under pressure. He improved a lot after Kentucky came after his rear end and it worked. FSU followed suit to less effect at the end of the season, so there was a lot of improvement here. But a good chunk of his misses in the passing game came off hurried throws where Richardson might have made the right read, but either rushed the throw high or frantically put the ball in the dirt. As wild as it may sound for someone this talented, the game hasn’t slowed down for him yet as a college player, and he’s about to attempt to compete in the NFL.

You want a serious concern? That last point is my biggest one right there: He’s going up a full tier with Josh Allen’s potential, but with less than half of Josh Allen’s experience. (Josh Allen started 25 games in college. Richardson, just twelve.) He’s going to be asked to be Daunte Culpepper eventually, but without starting the thirty-three games Culpepper started in college.

He also mentions earlier Florida's receiving corps was already bad and then mostly injured as the year went on, which didn't help much. Florida didn't really let him run like they could have, and he probably didn't really want to so he could prove he could pass. Basically the end result is you're betting on your own franchise to be able to develop him if you draft him, which I guess is not surprising and what we're all thinking anyway.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jt o Sullivan did one of his 40 minute breakdowns on Richardson. I'll give it a looksie at some point. They're usually pretty good. He turned me around on Herbert when all the talking heads were saying he was bad.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

Jt o Sullivan did one of his 40 minute breakdowns on Richardson. I'll give it a looksie at some point. They're usually pretty good. He turned me around on Herbert when all the talking heads were saying he was bad.

Sullivan loves Stroud and so do I

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Grittybeard posted:

Spencer Hall did Richardson, and I guarantee he's watched more of him than most of us have. Even if we don't really go to him for straight football analysis as often as the *waves at everything he does* he knows what he's talking about generally. Won't quote the whole article but the sum up:

He also mentions earlier Florida's receiving corps was already bad and then mostly injured as the year went on, which didn't help much. Florida didn't really let him run like they could have, and he probably didn't really want to so he could prove he could pass. Basically the end result is you're betting on your own franchise to be able to develop him if you draft him, which I guess is not surprising and what we're all thinking anyway.

He sounds like Ryan Tannehill on steroids

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

tarbrush posted:

He sounds like Ryan Tannehill on steroids

But we're not talking about Levis????

:rimshot:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Compensatory picks announced.

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1633953314332348416?s=61&t=5XhQ3IY0TKf9sLs_Mzh2Lw

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m sick and disgusted that the Eagles don't have multiple picks and I’m going to cry

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Niners added 7 draft picks today. lmao

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

joe football posted:

It’s hard to understate how stupid and lousy that Cristobal offense was. He never took the big breakout step forward that people were expecting and that’s why people kinda turned on him a little. It turns out that he probably could have in a remotely competent offense.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Adding 3 third rounders is absolutely insane. That's nearly a top 2nd round pick worth of value. Maybe... havent looked at the latest chart in a while

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s hard to understate how stupid and lousy that Cristobal offense was. He never took the big breakout step forward that people were expecting and that’s why people kinda turned on him a little. It turns out that he probably could have in a remotely competent offense.

It also came out after the season, and was rumored during the season, that they were heavily limiting any run game from Herbert until the last few games where you saw how effective he was and could have been all year. Losing a 1000-yard receiver in Dillon Mitchell and replacing him with, well, not much didn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Amy Pole Her posted:

Adding 3 third rounders is absolutely insane. That's nearly a top 2nd round pick worth of value. Maybe... havent looked at the latest chart in a while

About the equivalent of pick 59 per the JJ chart. Honestly I'd rather have 3 late 3rds than a late 2nd, depending on who is available I guess.
Spreads out the risk nicely.