Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Louisville officially finishes the season with 4 wins. Has there been a worse power conference season in recent memory? Or distant memory? Even the worst usually beat their out of conference cupcakes.

In a really poo poo season, Michigan fans are still commenting that it's all comeuppance because the block was clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Charleston trying to piss away the Colonial

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Bird in a Blender posted:

Dude, Iowa State finished 2-22 just two years ago. That included 0 conference wins. It was awful.

It was an honest question, I really wasn't sure if any team had a season like that or not.

I tend to try not to remember two years ago. That was Kentucky's worst since the 1920s.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Had a post some number of pages back, Louisville is utterly terrible but I think maybe not quite as bad as one or two BC teams, the Iowa State team, a couple Oregon State squads, and not much else. They’re special.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The thing for Louisville is they put up this record in a dogshit ACC

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

RIP McNeese you ran into the one thing you couldn’t account for, an even marginally competent opponent

Ungratek posted:

The thing for Louisville is they put up this record in a dogshit ACC

Should definitely be taken into account. There were so many wins on the table this year that a lot of ACC teams left shamefully behind.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

oh I forgot to mention the Northeast title, which Fairleigh Dickinson might win on the court here but they already have the automatic berth because 1-seed Merrimack is ineligible

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Will UNC finish the season as they deserve with a stupid loving loss to Boston College? Find out tomorrow!

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Northern Kentucky has now won 4 of 7 Horizon League tournaments since becoming eligible for the NCAA tournament. This will be their 3rd time dancing (thanks to covid in 2020).

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Gonzaga just loving up St. Mary's with a chisel, they own this conference so hard

elentar posted:

oh I forgot to mention the Northeast title, which Fairleigh Dickinson might win on the court here but they already have the automatic berth because 1-seed Merrimack is ineligible

Merrimack won the conference title by a point for all the good it will do them

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I knew Saint Mary's were frauds when they lost to Washington back in November.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well tomorrow's wednesday and northwestern is not playing in the big ten tournament. what a world.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

R.D. Mangles posted:

well tomorrow's wednesday and northwestern is not playing in the big ten tournament. what a world.

neither is psu. hosed up but true

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I would appreciate it if our giant teen baby would beat everybody else up.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
im in Vegas for the tournaments, the team I work with plays in the next 48 hours, just a ton amount of basketball being played here. I took the elevator today with the Portland women's team (on the way to their game haha, go Pilots)

on a personal note, hail Purdue

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

finals today:
Southland, 5 PM: TAMUCC and Northwestern State made it to a 1-v-2 matchup after all. TAMUCC took both games between them so far this season.
Patriot, 7:30 PM: Colgate tries to defend home court against Lafayette, who is very bad but managed to make it this far. With a few other teams falling elsewhere, Colgate could still manage a 14 seed.
Big Sky, 11 PM: Northern Arizona has put on an amazing run to make the final as a 9 seed; they'll play Montana State, led by name-teamer RaeQuan Battle

starts today, bear with me:

the MEAC has, extremely quietly, had its best year in two decades. maybe not through one team as good as NC Central’s best from years back, but three teams that won’t be an immediate out and would deserve better than the play-in game: Central, Norfolk State, and Howard (perhaps the sentimental favorite since they haven’t made the tournament since 1992), with Maryland-Eastern Shore in the waiting if the bracket gets scrambled. all games at the tournament’s semi-permanent home in Norfolk, which has helped NSU in recent years.

the SWAC, on the other hand, is not any better than usual, though if Grambling State can make it through they’ll definitely be better than the average SWACrifice. Texas Southern has been the class of the conference for almost a decade but fell off this year, opening room for Grambling as well as Alcorn State to make a mark. all games in Birmingham at the Bartow Arena, UAB’s homecourt.

C-USA is better than they have been since the American split, with NCAA lock Florida Atlantic giving them the chance of their first multi-bid year since 2015; they’re a deep, balanced team who could cause a 1 or 2 seed some real trouble in the round of 32. the best bet to steal a bid is whoever emerges from the North Texas-UAB side of the bracket; if they play the Tylor Parry-Jordan Walker battle will be worth the watch. oddly, all games will be held in the Dallas Cowboys’ practice facility.

the Mountain West is in rarefied air ahead of the ACC; even if that’s more to do with the latter’s incompetence, still the league has a very strong top half of San Diego State, Utah State, Boise State, and Nevada, with New Mexico a potential spoiler. They got 4 bids last year and could match that this time out, especially if one of the bubble teams seizes hold of a spot. They also don’t have any truly wretched team on the order of a Louisville, so it’s possible this bracket gets a little loopy. all games are at the Thomas & Mack Center, a somewhat more respectable Vegas venue.

the Pac-12 is what is usually is, a conference with a few useful teams, a thick middle, and a few absolute embarrassments (note per previous discussion that Cal is worse than Louisville this year). UCLA has a decent shout for a 1 seed, Tommy Lloyd seems to have righted the Arizona ship, and USC/Oregon/Arizona State etc. are a decent supporting cast. still might struggle to get more than 3 bids. all games will also be in Vegas, which is hosting just an array of college ball this week, at the T-Mobile Arena.

the Big East is a strong conference unfairly dragged down by Georgetown; the Marquette/Xavier/Creighton/UConn quad is as strong as any other conference, Providence at least seems capable of stealing a bid, and St. John’s can cause problems as the fastest team in the country. not sure there’s an actual national championship contender in the bunch, but this year who even knows? all games at MSG, as per usual.

the SEC has a very soft underbelly like the ACC but a much better top two-thirds or so, with even punching bag Vanderbilt suddenly going on a tear this year to get in shouting distance of a bid. beyond them Arkansas and Mississippi State need wins here the most. legitimately wild that Alabama and Tennessee could meet in the semis; if they exhaust each other then it’s open for whoever makes it through the other side, with Texas A&M the hottest team besides Vandy. all games in Nashville.

what can i say about the Big Ten that Northwestern and Rutgers fans haven’t already? an absolute meatgrinder of a conference, with only Minnesota and for a while an extremely obliging Ohio State as a respite. Purdue is obviously a beast, Indiana is coming on strong, and like half the conference will pull 7 or 8 seeds. also, as many have noted, a weird outlier year, not just with Northwestern getting a bye but also Wisconsin and Ohio State playing on Day One. all games in Chicago, of course.

finally the Big 12, the strongest conference this year and 8 of the past 10. a lot of that is just not having any weak teams—even Texas Tech and Oklahoma more than held their own, and the Sooners beat Alabama besides. West Virginia is four games underwater in conference and still a top 20 Kenpom team! you could toss any of these into the tournament field and they’d do just fine, though there’s probably not any one team as good as recent Kansas, Baylor, or even Texas Tech contenders. all games in Kansas City, why not.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I never want Arkansas to lose a basketball game, but I do think that the Razorbacks best chance for NCAA success will come from the 7/10 line, so they either need to lose to Auburn or win 2 or 3 games at the SECT depending on what other teams do

I am really nervous about the idea of Nick Smith playing in a lot of back to back games so might be better for a loss to make sure he doesn’t re injure himself also

At least we avoided Wednesday night sadness, big positive for the year

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

elentar posted:

Should definitely be taken into account. There were so many wins on the table this year that a lot of ACC teams left shamefully behind.

Loved getting swept by Boston loving College, yet again

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

It was an honest question, I really wasn't sure if any team had a season like that or not.

I tend to try not to remember two years ago. That was Kentucky's worst since the 1920s.

Ha no worries. That year still stings for me. I barely watched any games, but just watching that losing column tick up the whole season was so painful. The weirdest thing is we had Tyrese Haliburton on the team, who was drafted 12th overall. We had someone that good on the team, and yet they were still awful. It was mind boggling.

E: I forgot this was a shortened season because of COVID, so it probably would've been better if they had more out of conference games, they only played 4 OOC games. If it was a regular season, they probably would've gotten to like 6 wins instead.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 8, 2023

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It's incredibly funny that Jerry Stackhouse got co-coach of the year in the SEC. Not that I think Dennis Gates should've won over Buzz Williams, but they finished with one LESS win than last year. How does that get you coach of the year in a conference?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

elentar posted:

finally the Big 12, the strongest conference this year and 8 of the past 10. a lot of that is just not having any weak teams—even Texas Tech and Oklahoma more than held their own, and the Sooners beat Alabama besides. West Virginia is four games underwater in conference and still a top 20 Kenpom team! you could toss any of these into the tournament field and they’d do just fine, though there’s probably not any one team as good as recent Kansas, Baylor, or even Texas Tech contenders. all games in Kansas City, why not.

Tech and OU are probably both destined for the NIT tournament where they will be immediate front-runners.

Tech's probably going to be fully firing their coach, though, so we'll see if they get a "relief because the rear end in a top hat is gone" bounce or if they are not quite as good. I love watching Adams' no middle defense snuff the life out of teams, but boy howdy did we not realize how much of a weirdo the dude was once Beard left.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Mike_V posted:

It's incredibly funny that Jerry Stackhouse got co-coach of the year in the SEC. Not that I think Dennis Gates should've won over Buzz Williams, but they finished with one LESS win than last year. How does that get you coach of the year in a conference?

Co- with Stackhouse is correct and I definitely think Gates should have gotten it over Buzz. I would personally much rather play A&M again before I would want to play Mizzou.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kayakyakr posted:

Tech and OU are probably both destined for the NIT tournament where they will be immediate front-runners.

Tech's probably going to be fully firing their coach, though, so we'll see if they get a "relief because the rear end in a top hat is gone" bounce or if they are not quite as good. I love watching Adams' no middle defense snuff the life out of teams, but boy howdy did we not realize how much of a weirdo the dude was once Beard left.

Speaking of Beard; looks like he's a candidate for the Ole Miss job.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
DEACS

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/DonnaDitota1/status/1633589474688143360?s=20

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

seriously thought they’d have to drag him off the court

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh poo poo Northwestern State has a dude with one arm

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I know that Boeheim is not the first legend to get forced out the door at their school, but man I never thought I would see the day where Syracuse actually did it

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Cal is loving terrible

edit: way to roll right loving over BC, you are the worst

elentar fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 9, 2023

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
So how does the NIT work? Do I need to bring a dish to pass? What’s the parking situation?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

chaoslord posted:

I know that Boeheim is not the first legend to get forced out the door at their school, but man I never thought I would see the day where Syracuse actually did it

everyone is really trying not to use the f word

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Declan MacManus posted:

everyone is really trying not to use the f word

Fine?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Fabius (the nice little town just south of Syracuse where Boheim is going to retire)

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

elentar posted:

Cal is loving terrible

Three wins. Three measly wins. At least one of them was by double digits over Stanford.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Who would lose most in a Cal vs. Louisville matchup

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Watching bad basketball can be fun sometimes. You might find yourself asking questions like

Are you really going to try to make this a fast break and run to the rim from 60’ away, one on three?

You’re gonna shoot like that? From there?

Why do you insist on dribbling even more?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

i will never count out NC State's ability to throw away a big lead but VT looks really ready to be done with this

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

warms my heart to watch ewing eat poo poo in any context

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/cmsilvajr/status/1633668438227918848?s=46&t=l3BNUY1tDwZOYN9ilB4yAg

Seemed like this was coming after the suspension but it’s Officially Official now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

why did they hire him in the first place? seems like they must've had other options than just tapping the nearby pensioner who hasn't head coached D1 this century