Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is that a sports car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Waltzing Along posted:

Is that a sports car?

It's a truck.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Nedry one seems very cheap compared to the rest of them. Like someone pointed out in the comments it's almost identical in scale and content to the triceratops set yet the latter costs 2.5 times as much. That one is a no brainer for me. They are all tempting to be honest. I like the big fig dinosaurs personally. They really rocket the price of sets up though. Tempted to grab the T Rex breakout now and replace the ugly brick built t trex with the big fig.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

240/260 Z car from the 70s also seems like it will show up eventually.
Man, a Nissan 2-pack of a 1970 240Z and a 2023 Z makes so much sense that it feels inevitable, especially now that we have that new highlighter yellow color to build the modern Z.

solarNativity posted:

I need a Speed Champions Chevy C10. You could make it a polybag.
got u

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I have looked at all 375 entries into the BrickLink Designer Program, and these are the ones I personally feel are the best of the lot. There are several more I would put here if not for their ridiculously bloated part counts (and therefore high price tags) because god drat, some of these folks have got to learn to keep their piece budget under control. One of the ones I've included definitely commits this sin, but I like the design a lot, so I'm including it anyway.

Brick Cross by brickester
3,044 pieces (estimated $300 USD assuming ~10c ppp)

This is a redesigned and scaled-back version of a previous build by the same designer called The Meeting Point that I believe made it to 10k on Ideas but was ultimately rejected. I miss the angled center building, but everything else about this model feels greatly improved from its predecessor. The interiors are great and that roof is beautiful. I think if this is intended to be a modular and sit in a line with other buildings, having one of the structures' only form of interior access be a hinged side wall makes no sense at all, but that's a nitpick. I will stress again, though: I REALLY miss that angled center building. Still a great build.

Container House by ExeSandbox
2,526 pieces (estimated $250 USD assuming ~10c ppp)

I adore this design. It looks fantastic. The containers look just about perfect, especially the doors at the ends. There are some cute and tidy brick-built solutions for things, like the candle supports, one of the potted plants, and the little sides of the front steps. I've never seen bushes done this way before but I like it a lot more than I would have expected. It's hard to make out the whole interior, but it looks pretty nice. My biggest design issue is the gap in the awning over the staircase, but the overall design of it looks so good, I can look past it. The actual biggest issue here is one that I think affects, like, half or more of all of the entries: way too many pieces. A lot was spent on making the inside walls look clean, since the exterior is all outward-facing SNOT, so basically each wall was built twice. Plus, as much as I like the olive ground, tiling the whole thing was a terrible idea. It took up a ton of pieces, and LEGO's design language tends to make studs feel more appropriate for grass than tiles anyway, so I don't know what the benefit was supposed to be, except to give the entire model this super polished, stud-free look. I don't think it was worth it at all. I would love to see the piece budget DRASTICALLY reconsidered to get this thing down to 1,500 pcs or so.

DownTown Loft by STL_Brick_Co
1,312 pieces (estimated $130 USD assuming ~10c ppp)

Personal bias here: this was built by a friend of mine, and I think he did a fantastic job in a couple of ways that set it off from the loving thousand other modular buildings by far: 1) it is REASONABLE IN SCOPE and has a realistic parts budget and price point. 2) The mechanical function of the garage door opening realistically when the chimney is pressed is really fantastic and looks amazing. You can see it on his insta, it's dope as hell. I think the level of detail is about right here. There's enough stuff during construction (like all the SNOT windows) to keep it engaging, and there are enough interior details to feel complete while still keeping the budget down. It's not trying to compete with the big, full-size official modulars and is just doing its own thing. He also fully brick built it already to ensure there are no issues. I respect it a lot.

Farm Holidays by Jonas Kramm
2,044 pieces (estimated $200 USD assuming ~10c ppp)

Phenomenal. This is my personal pick for the very best of the best. It's just outstanding. It paints such a scene, it looks tremendously fun to play with, and there are so many elements to engage with. Animals, 2 buildings, the truck, the tree and bees, and so many bits to give it all context. The architecture is interesting with the corrugated roof and all the louvers. I love the water pump. Although the creative parts usage is a LITTLE modest for a Jonas Kramm build, it still stands out a ton amongst all the super straightforward builds throughout the BDP, especially all the flowers made with various minifig accessory components. The tree is pretty much a copy of the ones from the A-Frame, but I forgive it; it looks good here. The interior of the house feels a tad chaotic and sloppy compared to the rest of the build, and that's my biggest complaint here, but I still like this a hell of a lot.

Retro Ant Habitat by timtoon
465 pieces (estimated $50 USD assuming ~10c ppp) [I am bumping this up from $45 because those big panels are expensive]

lol this rules

in conclusion: I don't like any of the spaceships and all the castle poo poo either has way too many pieces, looks boring, or is a knockoff of a better design. And like half of them are doing the quarter circle tile scalloped roof thing. fight me

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t think those are ants

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The tower with all the little pieces I thought was cool

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

I have looked at all 375 entries into the BrickLink Designer Program, and these are the ones I personally feel are the best of the lot. There are several more I would put here if not for their ridiculously bloated part counts (and therefore high price tags) because god drat, some of these folks have got to learn to keep their piece budget under control. One of the ones I've included definitely commits this sin, but I like the design a lot, so I'm including it anyway.

Brick Cross by brickester
3,044 pieces (estimated $300 USD assuming ~10c ppp)

This is a redesigned and scaled-back version of a previous build by the same designer called The Meeting Point that I believe made it to 10k on Ideas but was ultimately rejected. I miss the angled center building, but everything else about this model feels greatly improved from its predecessor. The interiors are great and that roof is beautiful. I think if this is intended to be a modular and sit in a line with other buildings, having one of the structures' only form of interior access be a hinged side wall makes no sense at all, but that's a nitpick. I will stress again, though: I REALLY miss that angled center building. Still a great build.

Container House by ExeSandbox
2,526 pieces (estimated $250 USD assuming ~10c ppp)

I adore this design. It looks fantastic. The containers look just about perfect, especially the doors at the ends. There are some cute and tidy brick-built solutions for things, like the candle supports, one of the potted plants, and the little sides of the front steps. I've never seen bushes done this way before but I like it a lot more than I would have expected. It's hard to make out the whole interior, but it looks pretty nice. My biggest design issue is the gap in the awning over the staircase, but the overall design of it looks so good, I can look past it. The actual biggest issue here is one that I think affects, like, half or more of all of the entries: way too many pieces. A lot was spent on making the inside walls look clean, since the exterior is all outward-facing SNOT, so basically each wall was built twice. Plus, as much as I like the olive ground, tiling the whole thing was a terrible idea. It took up a ton of pieces, and LEGO's design language tends to make studs feel more appropriate for grass than tiles anyway, so I don't know what the benefit was supposed to be, except to give the entire model this super polished, stud-free look. I don't think it was worth it at all. I would love to see the piece budget DRASTICALLY reconsidered to get this thing down to 1,500 pcs or so.

DownTown Loft by STL_Brick_Co
1,312 pieces (estimated $130 USD assuming ~10c ppp)

Personal bias here: this was built by a friend of mine, and I think he did a fantastic job in a couple of ways that set it off from the loving thousand other modular buildings by far: 1) it is REASONABLE IN SCOPE and has a realistic parts budget and price point. 2) The mechanical function of the garage door opening realistically when the chimney is pressed is really fantastic and looks amazing. You can see it on his insta, it's dope as hell. I think the level of detail is about right here. There's enough stuff during construction (like all the SNOT windows) to keep it engaging, and there are enough interior details to feel complete while still keeping the budget down. It's not trying to compete with the big, full-size official modulars and is just doing its own thing. He also fully brick built it already to ensure there are no issues. I respect it a lot.

Farm Holidays by Jonas Kramm
2,044 pieces (estimated $200 USD assuming ~10c ppp)

Phenomenal. This is my personal pick for the very best of the best. It's just outstanding. It paints such a scene, it looks tremendously fun to play with, and there are so many elements to engage with. Animals, 2 buildings, the truck, the tree and bees, and so many bits to give it all context. The architecture is interesting with the corrugated roof and all the louvers. I love the water pump. Although the creative parts usage is a LITTLE modest for a Jonas Kramm build, it still stands out a ton amongst all the super straightforward builds throughout the BDP, especially all the flowers made with various minifig accessory components. The tree is pretty much a copy of the ones from the A-Frame, but I forgive it; it looks good here. The interior of the house feels a tad chaotic and sloppy compared to the rest of the build, and that's my biggest complaint here, but I still like this a hell of a lot.

Retro Ant Habitat by timtoon
465 pieces (estimated $50 USD assuming ~10c ppp) [I am bumping this up from $45 because those big panels are expensive]

lol this rules

in conclusion: I don't like any of the spaceships and all the castle poo poo either has way too many pieces, looks boring, or is a knockoff of a better design. And like half of them are doing the quarter circle tile scalloped roof thing. fight me

Have sets been trickling in over the last day or so, because i swear i looked at every page and definitely did not see that farm house.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

Have sets been trickling in over the last day or so, because i swear i looked at every page and definitely did not see that farm house.

It was there. It's just easy to miss stuff because there's a giant wall of stuff to look at and the thumbnails are pretty small.

It's definitely a bog standard bricklink interface, all the features are technically there but it's never quite good enough to be enjoyable to use.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Ant farm is awesome and such a creative and brilliant idea.

I like castles and space and all that stuff, but there is already so much like that. All the castle entries just sort of blur together for me. Maybe I'm just not quite the right audience though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Issue I see with the castle and space stuff is they're all kind of doing the same thing, with the same techniques and the same looks. Which maybe isn't completely fair because the city stuff is a lot of cloning too but at least the setting allows for a wider variety of color and design.

But with a castle you plop down a base, build some rocks, then stack a variety of 1x2's to make a craggy looking brick wall. Or if you want a not-castle, use some reddish brown to build a frame and fill in the gaps with tan. Then finish by bolting on approximately one million 1x1 leaf pieces to create texture. Spaceships can get more color but the designs are kinda samey, make a big wedge with a canopy.

My favorites, at least in terms of concept, was the skateboard adventures and the polar bear. They stuck out to me as original ideas. The duomo of florence gets an honorable mention for the concept of being an architectural wall hanging, but I feel like it needs some work.. more depth or more color or something. We've all got shelves stuffed to the brim with display pieces so it feels like nailing stuff to the wall is the next place to go.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bird with big dick posted:

I don’t think those are ants

They’re retro ants. Ants were different back then.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ngl I expected the ants to be Lego frogs

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Skateboarders and the Mayan looking temple are my two favorites.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

xzzy posted:

Spaceships can get more color but the designs are kinda samey, make a big wedge with a canopy.

I really like this spacecar that someone posted on Rebrickable a few days back:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-141112/mirrordecks/76914-ladybug-spinner/#details

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks for sharing these - they're all really cool.

And yeah, as cute as the bushes, bike rack and backlot are, the container house doesn't really feel like it needs a full baseplate.

The downtown loft is probably the one of that bunch I'd be most likely to buy - I really dig the idea of a narrow modular

e: As for your Hotel - it's also great - first thought was the open back was a bit odd, but seems like a smart way to keep parts down, and it's not too hard to hide the open back.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 9, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Issue I see with the castle and space stuff is they're all kind of doing the same thing, with the same techniques and the same looks. Which maybe isn't completely fair because the city stuff is a lot of cloning too but at least the setting allows for a wider variety of color and design.

But with a castle you plop down a base, build some rocks, then stack a variety of 1x2's to make a craggy looking brick wall. Or if you want a not-castle, use some reddish brown to build a frame and fill in the gaps with tan. Then finish by bolting on approximately one million 1x1 leaf pieces to create texture. Spaceships can get more color but the designs are kinda samey, make a big wedge with a canopy.

It's disappointing, because building castles is objectively the correct thing to do with Lego but the state of MOC building is sadly lacking. Everyone should be looking at Neuschwanstein and saying "hold my beer", but instead we mostly get squat gray cubes with some greebles.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Oxyclean posted:

e: As for your Hotel - it's also great - first thought was the open back was a bit odd, but seems like a smart way to keep parts down, and it's not too hard to hide the open back.
Yeah there was just... kinda nothing to gain by enclosing the back. The landscaping doesn't extend around the back and it's not a modular. It just felt like a waste of pieces that would increase the price with no benefit to the model IMO. That said, I ensured that none of the interior details overhang the white tile line that frames the back, so all you would have to do is pop the white tiles out and stack some bricks to fill it in.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looks like it sold out already. Thing is super popular.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

obi_ant posted:

The Houses of the World GWP? It was originally released in Jan. They reissued it again just now because they (presumably) didn't move their whole stock the first time. I would guess that the issue there was the absolutely enormous price threshold, easily met by purchasing Rivendell.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

the holy poopacy posted:

It's disappointing, because building castles is objectively the correct thing to do with Lego but the state of MOC building is sadly lacking. Everyone should be looking at Neuschwanstein and saying "hold my beer", but instead we mostly get squat gray cubes with some greebles.

I made a castle that isn't squat gray cubes with some greebles!

It isn't very good though I enjoy the tower.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really like this biplane, because it looks cool, but is apparently also an alternate build for the titanic.

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/series-1/301/BLACK-BIPLANE

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

obi_ant posted:

I’ve only ever seen it marked as Sold Out. Shame it’s a cute little set and I’d spring $20 for it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve only ever seen it marked as Sold Out. Shame it’s a cute little set and I’d spring $20 for it.

$20 would be nice. But right now you'll need to spring $250 for it or $50 or so on the secondary market.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I broke my vow. I bought a minifig scale Star Wars set for the first time in 24 years. I know that they could make me go broke and take over my apartment. I picked up the Mandalorian's starfighter. Sixty bucks for 400-some parts was not great, but it ended up more impressive than I thought it would be. Also I already lost one of the missiles in my apartment behind a bookshelf.

I'm pleased to announce that Grogu can sit in Mando's lap.

This is The Way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big thanks to the people talking about Speed Champions over the last few pages, I kinda overlooked those sets thinking they wouldn’t be for me. I saw the Countach in Carbohydrates fave list and so I grabbed it in store today as it was *the* car for me growing up. What a super fun build! Definitely had some ‘ohhhhh neat!’ moments for sure.

Probably for the best there’s no current big boy build of it with working doors, as I’d so want it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
You can apparently modify the 911 Porsche (okay, completely rebuild) into a Countach with working doors if that’s your thing :eng101:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-82416/firas_legocars/10295-lamborghini-countach/

(Idk if there’s other instructions, this is just the first I found)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I buy speed champions sometimes just because they are cheap and clever builds and then I don't really know what to do with them. They usually end up in a box. The Countach is like, nostalgia overload though so it gets proudly displayed on the shelf.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Countach looks so good, but if it was a diablo I'd have bought it already.

The skyline is my first speed champ, and I've yet to build it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I buy speed champions sometimes just because they are cheap and clever builds and then I don't really know what to do with them. They usually end up in a box. The Countach is like, nostalgia overload though so it gets proudly displayed on the shelf.

I like building them and the designs are great but yeah they don’t display especially well. Too small and take up a lot of space if you have more than five or so. I need to find a new way to display them. Maybe stick them to a vertical wall somehow?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I feel like most brickheadz display solutions should work with Speed Champions as well. I’ve been toying with affixing a small about 10-15 cm deep board to the back of my display cabinet so the bigger sets in front have a little more vertical space to breathe but you can still see the back with the SC/BH.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
When dealing with the 4x4 turntable piece, why does it provide friction and click sometimes but other times the round piece ontop of it will spin freely?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, I was missing a bag from the A-Frame Cabin roof and customer support told me to just order through the missing pieces service and then it was rejected for ordering too many of the same part. Not my fault you put 20 1x3 tiles on one bag, Lego!

Customer support sorted it out though. And then I found the missing bag, of course.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You’re stealing from LEGO

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Just had a very weird experience with the packaging of the Hydro Bounty. It has one of those 'extra' bags for separate parts that are too cumbersome to pack into the regular packs. I was checking the parts list for another reason, when I noticed it listed four of this part, when the aforementioned extra bag only had two of them. For whatever reason, they could put the other two in bag #4, but not in whatever other bag needs them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

You’re stealing from LEGO

They gave me VIP points for my trouble too! I feel really bad about the whole thing.

Also I lost the canoe, so I feel bad about that. Think it was the cats.

Also the trees on the A-Frame are boring to build.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

smackfu posted:

Customer support sorted it out though. And then I found the missing bag, of course.

How do you lose an entire bag

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

How do you lose an entire bag

“Bag 11” is three bags, two big and one small that just has this:

4 x FLAT TILE 1X3, NO. 36
4 x PLATE 1X1
20 x FLAT TILE 1X3
16 x GLASS FOR FRAME 1X2X2

Also it was behind a couch cushion. Darn cats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

smackfu posted:

Also the trees on the A-Frame are boring to build.
At least they're not that many pieces. Think of how much more boring they would be if they kept those dense tallboys from the ideas submission