Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

NC State almost drops a hundo on VT, so expect them to score like 50 against Clemson tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Freaquency posted:

Fabius (the nice little town just south of Syracuse where Boheim is going to retire)

Skaneateles. Just bought a house worth a few million there last year. Right next to slum lord tim green.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
haha Nebraska lost to Minnesota

Freaquency posted:

NC State almost drops a hundo on VT, so expect them to score like 50 against Clemson tomorrow

if Terquavion is back on a hot streak then maybe they hang around into the weekend but yeah chances are good they get trucked by Clemson yet again

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

elentar posted:

why did they hire him in the first place? seems like they must've had other options than just tapping the nearby pensioner who hasn't head coached D1 this century

UCLA tried to hire him but TCU refused to lower his buyout. Lol good job

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
no finals today, probably figuring they’d get lost among the huge slate of major-conference games. instead, full chaos potential from 11 AM for the next 15 hours or so

starts today:
the MAC is always a fun one, though this year they’re down to an 8 team tournament after losing their stupid division structure and just deciding not to invite the bottom four, including all three directional Michigans—not that any of those would have won it. this will hopefully come down to Toledo vs. Kent State, the two teams who could do some damage in the NCAAs. all games in Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, the “premier sports and entertainment facility in northeast Ohio”

the American actually was a little down overall this season, and maybe another year would’ve put up a bigger fight against Houston. but they haven’t had a team quite like this year’s Houston either, who will finally give the conference its first 1 seed since it got cleft off the Big East and C-USA. Memphis obviously is the main threat and the only other team that will earn a bid short of winning the tournament. all games in Fort Worth.

edit: (somewhat) helpful chart https://twitter.com/projsports/status/1633830002134335488?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

elentar fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 9, 2023

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

elentar posted:

why did they hire him in the first place? seems like they must've had other options than just tapping the nearby pensioner who hasn't head coached D1 this century

he wasn't bad by historical TT standards

i think they were trying to get a quick turnaround after beard left and opted for continuity

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
IIRC Adams was seen as the brains of the operation behind Beard, especially on defense. He was also one of the few assistants that didn't want to follow Beard to Austin, which Tech fans loved to point out

I'm amazed at how quickly the bottom fell out - they were great last season, and handily beat Texas both home and away.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Time for some minor miracle to happen and Rutgers to win this game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I guess go Rutgers????

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is just a horrifically bad offensive team.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Feeling good about taking the under on this game

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Get yourself someone who loves you as much as Rutgers loves missing layups and free throws.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

mcmagic posted:

Time for some minor miracle to happen and Rutgers to win this game.

You're facing the right team for it :v:

Man it's the hunter-or-nothing show tonight. Everyone else seems to have butterfingers again.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bill Self is in the hospital.

Immediately Twitter rumors that he "had blood clots thanks to the covid vaccine" popped up.

But it turns out he was ill and while there they found some blockage that could cause problems down the road so he's most likely getting the balloon to clear that out and change some of his eating habits for long term health.

But he's not coaching today and I bet maybe not the Big 12 tournament at all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This game is setting basketball back 30 years.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Five minutes into the game, I mashed the under-121.5 button as hard as I could.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

mcmagic posted:

Enjoy the tournament and thanks for the mercy killing of the Michigan season, fuckin' moses

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rutgers really played like poo poo at the end of the season the last few years but won the key games they needed to get in to the tourney. This was a big boy win.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This is the most obvious call in a meaningless situation so sure let's take 20 minutes to sort it out

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

We’re back to floating an incredibly bloated tournament again so they can expand it just a little bit, guessing “90 teams” this time means 72 in actual fact: https://sports.yahoo.com/is-bigger-better-ncaa-again-considering-expanding-basketball-tournaments-145126270.html

how would you even bracket 90 teams, nobody who suggests that number has ever been a kid making up their own brackets at home and that should be disqualifying for the job

edit: Miami scrapes past Wake, lord please do not let Duke win this and gather any sort of momentum

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 9, 2023

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The Kelvin Sampson Houston Redemption's even spreading to the women's side. The UH women went 15-15 in the regular season but a chaos AAC tournament finds them favored in the final.

https://twitter.com/UHCougarWBB/status/1633845109824552960

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ISU pulling away from Baylor. It would've been nice if I could've watched this game, but I've been with ESPN tech support for over an hour trying to figure out why my account was deactivated. Fun times!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What does IOWA SOLE mean?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Poque posted:

What does IOWA SOLE mean?

Some dumb Nike thing, Purdue had them for the Illinois game.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I don't know if it's Las Vegas, missing Clark, or just nerves but I'm fully prepared for UCLA to drop this game against Colorado.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Declan MacManus posted:

he wasn't bad by historical TT standards

i think they were trying to get a quick turnaround after beard left and opted for continuity

curried lamb of God posted:

IIRC Adams was seen as the brains of the operation behind Beard, especially on defense. He was also one of the few assistants that didn't want to follow Beard to Austin, which Tech fans loved to point out

I'm amazed at how quickly the bottom fell out - they were great last season, and handily beat Texas both home and away.

Definitely seen as the X's and O's guy to Beard's motivational steerage.

But the two worked together. Separated, Beard's energy had no counterweight and Adam's being a loving weirdo was brought into the spotlight.

Bottom fell out because Adams can design a defense, but he is poo poo at relating to players and getting them to play with the intensity required for them to execute that defense. Adam's most successful stop as an HC was at a JR College, and that makes sense since he gets new players each year and they don't have enough time to hate him.

Honestly don't know where TTU goes from this. Like I don't follow the sport to know the hot names. It's likely to be either fast-rising mid-major coach like Beard was, or "assistant that always shows up on coach lists." I don't think that Kirby goes for a retread, that's not his style and Tech fans were super burned by Gillespie and minorly burned by Tubby. I think there's enough money in the program that they may go after some folks with sustained success at mid-majors. Who knows if those people will listen.

Actually, one retread I could see him trying out is Shaka Smart. That's a name that's popped up in a few places.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
North Texas' coach?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Pitt is getting absolutely throttled by Duke, jesus christ

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
is something wrong with the ball in this Iowa game? Absolutely nobody can get a handle on it at all

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Poque posted:

is something wrong with the ball in this Iowa game? Absolutely nobody can get a handle on it at all

it's an ohio state conference game, by rule it has to be really stupid

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

it's an ohio state conference game, by rule it has to be really stupid

Checks out.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Poque posted:

Weird poo poo has to happen so McCaffrey can look justified in being the world’s biggest rear end in a top hat

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Congrats to Iowa for finishing 1-6 against Ohio State, Wisconsin and Nebraska, three of the four worst teams in the conference. What a stupid loving team, send us to the NIT.

When’s the women’s tournament start?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

the mean lunch lady posted:

North Texas' coach?

Seen McCasland mentioned as the most likely option (after a few folks told us no). I'd fade on him personally as we just forced a guy to resign for quoting the bible at athletes, and he's waaaay more religious than Adams is, but he's also substantially younger and wouldn't try to pull the same stupid poo poo.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

UVA needs to kill any possibility of a Duke-UNC final dead right now (and I’m saying that despite it being worse for State, who could definitely beat the Heels again but absolutely will not beat Virginia)

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
UNT plays glacial basketball, I wonder how fans would appreciate that coaching style for a more prestigious program

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Squashy posted:

UNT plays glacial basketball, I wonder how fans would appreciate that coaching style for a more prestigious program

Isn’t that what UVA plays?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

Isn’t that what UVA plays?

winning multiple conference crowns plus a national title has a way of quieting the portion of the fanbase that thinks tempo is everything

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I stayed up to watch the Big Sky final last night and poor NAU was in the final with a 5-13 conference record - but something like 10 of those were by 5 points or fewer and probably half of those were by just 1 point. They stayed within striking distance of Montana State most of the game but just couldn’t get over the hump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The UNLV Lady Rebels got it done last night. Lock up La Rocque, do whatever it takes.