Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Long term is 20%, how high do they want to raise it

39.6% but only for high income folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Long term is 20%, how high do they want to raise it

to 40, but it scales starting on > 500k of capital gains profits and tops out much higher gains. IE: not an issue for you

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 10, 2023

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
In what possible reality would a GOP held house pass such a thing?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Subvisual Haze posted:

In what possible reality would a GOP held house pass such a thing?

Or Dem held house for that matter.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Id wait to see how the market reacts to Bidens proposed capital gains tax increase first. If that triggers a tantrum there will be a lot more blood.

No one will care because nothing Biden proposes has a nonzero chance of getting through Congress.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the president's budget proposal is never real, it's just the kickoff in a political football game. Given the republicans own the house, you can basically assume there will be zero tax increases and lots of cuts to essential programs, as the "compromise" bill that is eventually passed, several months late.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Seems pretty efficient way to dry up investment. If you're gonna take on the enormous investment risk, and wait over a year just to keep 60% of the profit, might as well just stick it in a savings account

Seems like an empty useless gesture

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Seems pretty efficient way to dry up investment. If you're gonna take on the enormous investment risk, and wait over a year just to keep 60% of the profit, might as well just stick it in a savings account

Yes, you're right, I'd rather make zero money than 60% of lots of money, this is very sensible

are you one of those people who declines a raise because "it'll put me in a higher tax bracket"

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Especially when so much of the money made in the market at the moment is from 0dte options trades, it's hilarious and horrifying to imagine what the market would be like if none the of the big players had any incentive to hold stocks long term. Imagine your parent's lifelong accumulated retirement savings trading like Tesla and gaining/losing half its value every month or so.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Proposing it now is an empty gesture for his base, yes.

Your idea re: dumping money in savings accounts for fear of taxation reflects a common American trope and is part of why we'll never have reasonably taxed capital gains. Of course if you can make more on a savings account that's where you should put the money, but anything you make from savings is also taxable income.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Proposing it now is an empty gesture for his base, yes.

Your idea re: dumping money in savings accounts for fear of taxation reflects a common American trope and is part of why we'll never have reasonably taxed capital gains. Of course if you can make more on a savings account that's where you should put the money, but anything you make from savings is also taxable income.
The intelligent billionare would dump all their funds in a federal tax exempt municipal bond fund like VWALX

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

we best not repeat the mistakes of the 1940s through 1970s, well known as a period of economic stagnation and disinvestment in the US due to high tax rates

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 10, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

to 40, but it scales starting on > 500k of capital gains profits and tops out much higher gains. IE: not an issue for you

Does that $500k number track inflation

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Does that $500k number track inflation

It's only been proposed, it's a bit early to worry about inflation going forward.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

i expected more talk of a top-20 us bank and s&p 500 member getting hit with a bank run today among the collapse of the entire VC scene

https://twitter.com/BurryArchive/status/1633988433961177088?s=20

SIVB 266 -> 82 in less than 36h

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

we best not repeat the mistakes of the 1940s through 1970s, well known as a period of economic stagnation and disinvestment in the US due to high tax rates

Should work fine as long as we replicate the important precondition "every other industrial economy in the world has been bombed into powder" like the US benefited from post-WW2.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's only been proposed, it's a bit early to worry about inflation going forward.

A lot of the tax code is written around an imaginary $400k income limit which seems fine unless you live in California

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Hadlock posted:

A lot of the tax code is written around an imaginary $400k income limit which seems fine unless you live in California

Also fine unless it is 2023.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

Should work fine as long as we replicate the important precondition "every other industrial economy in the world has been bombed into powder" like the US benefited from post-WW2.

My point was that high taxes do not in fact prevent investment. Being the last industrialized country standing isn't a requirement either. China has grown like gangbusters for the last several decades despite not selling the rest of the world material to rebuild after a war

Hadlock posted:

400k household income in california puts you in the 98th or 99th percentile. Marginal tax rates on income above $400k is in fact still fine if you live in california except for a very small portion of people

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 10, 2023

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

My point was that high taxes do not in fact prevent investment. Being the last industrialized country standing isn't a requirement either. China has grown like gangbusters for the last several decades despite not selling the rest of the world material to rebuild after a war

Capital seeks maximum return. The US could have their cake and eat it too post-WW2 by happy virtue of being the only industrialized economy left standing in a global free trade paradigm. But the world economic order that the US profited on, much like the UK before them, is a globalized free trade one. And globalization cuts both ways, capital and costs can flow in and out freely. At this point if the US significantly increased capital investment tax rates, capital investment would happily relocate itself to environments more favorable for maximal investment returns like China or Vietnam or some western corporate tax haven like Ireland.

If we stick with the globalization model, jacking up local tax rates doesn't work, capital just moves abroad. If we want to prevent that we'd need to abandon globalism for protectionism, which in addition to being a lot of work (which seems impossible in our current sclerotic gerontocracy), would result in drastically more expensive consumer goods domestically.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nah it's fine for literally everyone. There is nowhere in California where capital gains income above $400k (or as proposed, $500k) being taxed at a rate that starts at that point to scale above 20% would leave you unable to afford reasonable housing, transportation, food, clothing, college education for your three kids, a huge amount every year poured into your 401k and investments, and a lot left over for your vacations, nice cars, and candles.

Capital doesn't only invest in the US because of low taxes, it invests in the US because of high returns, liquidity, reliable regulation, political stability, accurate recordkeeping, and many more reasons. Vietnam may offer lower cap gains taxes but it hasn't got a forty trillion dollar stock market.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 10, 2023

drk
Jan 16, 2005

pmchem posted:

i expected more talk of a top-20 us bank and s&p 500 member getting hit with a bank run today among the collapse of the entire VC scene

As it turns out, banking high risk companies dependent on cheap capital combined with holding significant assets in long term treasuries does poorly in a rising rates environment.

I also got a laugh that they have a non-trivial amount of loans collateralized by "premium wines"

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

e: whoops, late to the cap gains rate raise conversation:

Easiest way to do it would be increase the cap gains tax rate by like 1% per year for 10 years. Slow drag but not worth selling for.

DNK fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 10, 2023

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/BurryArchive/status/1633988433961177088?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

De-globalization is in fact happening right now. The energy market, which used to be the most fungible and global commodity market, is now split into two markets. Russia being cut out of the SWIFT network means that they are developing their own alternative that will likely be tightly integrated with Chinese finance. The US just leaned on the netherlands to slap an export ban on the latest chip lithography technology to china, so now companies can't expand their chinese fabs with those new machines even if they wanted to.

It's of course not clear how much further this trend will continue or if it's just a temporary thing but the past couple years are evidence that deglobalization is possible

pmchem maybe we ought to have that economics discussion thread

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Well it's all marginal rates. If you make a bit over $400,000 you don't explode and die, you just pay more on the excess over the first $400,000.

Also, the way Social Security is taxed is the opposite, once you hit the annual max your payroll taxes actually drop and you're capped out on that particular tax for the rest of the year.

Basically, I'm not shedding too many tears for those poor unfortunate bastards who hit half a million in taxable income per year.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

drk posted:

I also got a laugh that they have a non-trivial amount of loans collateralized by "premium wines"

Gives new meaning to liquid assets

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Thinking about putting in a limit order on 200 more shares of SoFi around $6

With SVIB falling over might buy some more shares of SoFi if we get into the $5.50s today. Looks like it was $6.04 but it can probably go lower on this news

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Not being from the US, hearing all these years about this Jim Kramer fellow I always assumed it to be some standard financial news type of show. Imagine my surprise when I came across this show on a trip to the USA while flipping channels in the hotel and it's just some guy ringing bells and honking horns while shouting BUY BUY BUY.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

Subvisual Haze posted:

The intelligent billionare would dump all their funds in a federal tax exempt municipal bond fund like VWALX

Uh huh. Quick question, what was the value of VWALX 10 years ago? Oh. Same as it is right now? Interesting.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

Not being from the US, hearing all these years about this Jim Kramer fellow I always assumed it to be some standard financial news type of show. Imagine my surprise when I came across this show on a trip to the USA while flipping channels in the hotel and it's just some guy ringing bells and honking horns while shouting BUY BUY BUY.

yeah its kinda, a hedge fund manager looked over the fence at morning zoo radio hosts and had the epiphany that cocaine can be *fun* and not just a tool to get through the workday

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My guess is that he wanted to pitch a finance show and that's the concept they came up with. The format isn't boring and I think he's one of the longest running shows (20 years? 22 years? he came on at the peak of the dot com boom) on cable news. Before that he taught finance at U Michigan or something so he's not some random talking head with zero credentials like a lot of the fox news commentators (I think tucker carlton or whatever is a trust fund baby from some wealthy family with no formal journalism credentials). The downside for Cramer is that he's one of the longest running shows on cable news and it's easy to track his predictions against a objective number.

Full disclosure I own a share each of SJIM and LJIM because I'm highly amused by the whole situation

Looks like SOFI (also a bay area bank) down to $5.87 lets see if it crosses $5.75

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Scrungus posted:

Uh huh. Quick question, what was the value of VWALX 10 years ago? Oh. Same as it is right now? Interesting.

It's a bond fund, it distributes pretty much all its earnings. You don't look at share price for bond funds.

Not saying it's a good idea but still.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are VWALX dividends not taxed as well? Looks like 2-3% annual dividend return

Inflation calculator returns $17.xx value for $10 back then so it's lost half it's core value since 2000, ignoring the dividend return

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1634197816359747585

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

that's spicy

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Hadlock posted:

Are VWALX dividends not taxed as well? Looks like 2-3% annual dividend return

Inflation calculator returns $17.xx value for $10 back then so it's lost half it's core value since 2000, ignoring the dividend return

Aiui interest from muni bonds have some special tax exempt treatment as a way of basically giving a federal subsidy to localities that want to borrow money for schools, roads, whatever. This basically lowers the interest rate on those bonds because a lower tax free yield is equivalent to a higher taxable yield. Then you have various muni bond funds and money market products with pass through taxes to let people take advantage of that tax treatment without having to go out and shop for a basket of munis manually.

Obviously there's no point in these products in a tax advantaged account like an IRA or 401k where interest payments aren't taxed. The target market is high net worth high income individuals with money in taxable accounts that want a safe-ish income stream and can take advantage of the tax benefits.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

De-globalization is in fact happening right now. The energy market, which used to be the most fungible and global commodity market, is now split into two markets. Russia being cut out of the SWIFT network means that they are developing their own alternative that will likely be tightly integrated with Chinese finance. The US just leaned on the netherlands to slap an export ban on the latest chip lithography technology to china, so now companies can't expand their chinese fabs with those new machines even if they wanted to.
In such a splitting global market I would expect the main beneficiaries to be non-aligned trading partners like Brazil, India, or the Southeast Asian sphere. Not at high risk of eating western sanction damage like Russia/China, but also able to pursue an independent economic/foreign policy unlike Europe.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SVB has been closed by the FDIC.

https://www.fdic.gov/news/press-releases/2023/pr23016.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like I may have caught the morning trading knife at $5.58 SOFI curious to see if FDIC news moves it lower