Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
When starting out I think it's always a good idea to shoot raw+ jpeg. It takes up more room but memory cards are cheap and will allow you to share stuff with friends instantly but have the raws to come back to when you wanna try and improve the photo yourself.

With this you can also try matching your cameras output with your raws as a way to learn.
You say you use darktable? Its great but complicated to begin with, lots of duplicate modules.

https://pixls.us/articles/darktable-3-rgb-or-lab-which-modules-help/

This was written by one of the devs of darktable, you don't need to read it all, just skip down to the recommended beginner workflow bit, it helps a lot.

That last image with the purple whites, the chromatic aberration module should help with that.

There is also this channel which does very good tutorials on each module and what it does
https://m.youtube.com/@audio2u

If you like film styles then try these https://github.com/iblazhko/darktable-filmstyles

Just remember to have the box ticked to replace the previous style as you go through trying them out, otherwise it's gonna apply them on top of each other and look weird.

Megabound posted:

Has anyone ever taken your photo before or are you just that delicate of constitution that any time someone takes a photo of you you need someone to rush over with smelling salts?

:dafuq:

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

In my opinion, unless you really love editing just shoot in jpeg. As long as you don't over expose you'll be fine, a little under exposing is ok and can be easily fixed.

Mega Comrade posted:

When starting out I think it's always a good idea to shoot raw+ jpeg.

Or this.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

melon cat posted:

Public spaces like parks typically require a permit for any photography, especially if you’re jumping out the bushes and with a strobe like some sort of weirdo who is tone-deaf to social cues

Also taking photos of people in public and being really standoffish about the intended use of the photos is a great way to get punched in the face

Do what you will with this information

"Typically" is pulling a lot of weight there. Within the US, it varies state to state, and withing states, frequently from city to city. Im actually not aware of any state that requires permits for shooting in public space. With cell phones, ring cameras, and dash cams, thats entirely unenforceable. My own experience is quite the contrary, and permits were generally necessary when using a tripod (D.C. this is the rule) and not at other times. US precedent is you have no right to your own image as it appeared in public with the exception of commercial use. Selling street photos is not commercial use, by the way.

Within other countries, there are varying levels of right to your own image.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Lol oops, wrong thread!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 10, 2023

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That belongs in the bird thread

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
We are looking for a GAS cure, not bird flu.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

When starting out I think it's always a good idea to shoot raw+ jpeg. It takes up more room but memory cards are cheap and will allow you to share stuff with friends instantly but have the raws to come back to when you wanna try and improve the photo yourself.

With this you can also try matching your cameras output with your raws as a way to learn.
You say you use darktable? Its great but complicated to begin with, lots of duplicate modules.

https://pixls.us/articles/darktable-3-rgb-or-lab-which-modules-help/

This was written by one of the devs of darktable, you don't need to read it all, just skip down to the recommended beginner workflow bit, it helps a lot.

That last image with the purple whites, the chromatic aberration module should help with that.

There is also this channel which does very good tutorials on each module and what it does
https://m.youtube.com/@audio2u

If you like film styles then try these https://github.com/iblazhko/darktable-filmstyles

Just remember to have the box ticked to replace the previous style as you go through trying them out, otherwise it's gonna apply them on top of each other and look weird.

:dafuq:

Thanks so much for the detailed response, I will check out all of those tutorials asap! Although my camera only allows me to take low quality jpegs at the same time as raw (can't shoot high quality jpegs simultaneously for some reason?) using them as a guide seems like a great, and in hindsight obvious, idea. I'll have a tool around with those styles as well.

I'm not married to darktable but it seems pretty good for free software! The plugin based workflow makes a bit of sense coming from an audio daw background, at least.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

In my opinion, unless you really love editing just shoot in jpeg. As long as you don't over expose you'll be fine, a little under exposing is ok and can be easily fixed.

Or this.

Honestly I will have a go at this too - I've not really mastered using a camera yet and generally shoot in auto or one of the priority modes, once I get a better grasp of manual mode I like this idea a lot more lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

field balm posted:

Honestly I will have a go at this too - I've not really mastered using a camera yet and generally shoot in auto or one of the priority modes, once I get a better grasp of manual mode I like this idea a lot more lol.

When in doubt, just under expose a little to be sure that way you won't blow out any highlights. Sometimes it's hard to get an accurate reading on the meter, and depending on the camera, if you try to get the exposure dead nuts it will still over expose. It depends on the camera tho, so you'll just have to play around a bit with it to figure out the sweet spot.

For instance on my 20D if I tried to depend on aperture priority it would always over expose, but shutter priority did fine. And sometimes in full manual the meter would be perfect and still over expose it, so I'd have to adjust so the meter was just a bit lower and it would be perfect, poo poo's weird sometimes :v:

But once you figure it out it beats the hell out of dealing with RAW files all the time.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 11, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
To piggyback on the raw thing a little bit, I recently started shooting some scenes at different exposures for the purpose of HDR'ing them in photoshop, and I've been... underwhelmed with the results. Part of it I'm sure is that I don't really know what I'm doing, but a lot of the pictures come out a lot uglier than just your single exposure shots. My camera has an inbuilt HDR setting already and those tend to look a lot nicer than manually sticking them together, the only downside being that the auto HDR photos output to JPEG only, and I loving love fiddling around with sliders in photoshop. Does anybody want to sing the praises of HDR, or is it just not worth the effort?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

That’s probably a subjective thing, but I personally hate it

Photography is an exercise in editing, to me. A process of determining what information to include at each step. The frame is an edit, the exposure is an edit, development/post processing is an edit

Using HDR to try to include as much info as possible seems… counterproductive, unless you’re just doing real estate photography or documenting something (and then, they rarely use hdr, instead just making two exposures for interior/exterior then masking)

Plus unless done absolutely perfectly, you always see the halos/fringing and the colors seem off. Unfortunately that’s sometimes seen as a style… which, alright.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Photography is an exercise in editing, to me. A process of determining what information to include at each step. The frame is an edit, the exposure is an edit, development/post processing is an edit

Agreed, altho I prefer editing in camera and getting it right the first time as opposed to shooting with post processing in mind.

But I think that comes from using film for years before digital was even a thing, you had to get it right in camera because there was only so much you could do in the darkroom.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HDR is counterproductive because people use it to eliminate contrast and contrast is what makes photos read well (yes there's exceptions I'm generalizing here). HDR if you need to but remember you don't need detail in every shadow.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

melon cat posted:

Public spaces like parks typically require a permit for any photography, especially if you’re jumping out the bushes and with a strobe like some sort of weirdo who is tone-deaf to social cues

Also taking photos of people in public and being really standoffish about the intended use of the photos is a great way to get punched in the face

Do what you will with this information

I don't know where you are but in the US, they can say whatever they want but it won't hold up.

ACLU posted:

Taking photographs and video of things that are plainly visible in public spaces is a constitutional right
https://www.aclu.org/issues/free-speech/photographers-rights

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
In the US, most private parks want you to purchase a permit if you're doing anything commercial, but public parks you wont need a permit unless it interferes with the public. Like making a movie, or having a several hundred person wedding, etc. Public spaces for a person snapping stuff, you can do whatever you want. 9/11 kinda tried to curtail that because idiots thought every nerd with a camera was carrying C4 in their bags, and also planning to fly planes into the the hot barista at the local Starbucks on the corner but none of that held up in court.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 12, 2023

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Re: the Darktable poster, I'd also take some time to understand my camera's meter. It should have several modes like Evaluative/matrix, center-weighted, spot, try each of them out for a while. Auto will work fine until you start worrying about photographing subjects in motion or foreground separation.

And also with an optical viewfinder, what you see through it won't be the actual image captured (as opposed to electronic ones that show you almost exactly what the exposure will be). So you'll need to adjust and infer what the exposure will be after taking the photo.

Lastly, the meter can be fooled by overly bright/dark subjects, so you'll have to manually compensate. For example, a black cat can come out as gray when photographed because the meter is fooled to overexpose upon reading a black subject.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Philthy posted:

In the US, most private parks want you to purchase a permit if you're doing anything commercial, but public parks you wont need a permit unless it interferes with the public. Like making a movie, or having a several hundred person wedding, etc. Public spaces for a person snapping stuff, you can do whatever you want.

Dupage county in Illinois requires a permit for "commercial or portrait" photography in their parks. Which is pretty normal, but for a while their web pages insinuated anyone with a DSLR was obligated to buy a permit.. they reworded that eventually. They do still have language forbidding shooting strangers or staff but that's in reference to permit holders.

So I guess what I'm saying is check websites before going out. Or just do whatever because 99% of the time there's no enforcement.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So really odd question, is their a way to get raised printing done?

Did a trip to Alaska with a good friend last year, unfortunately we did this trip because she slowly going blind and wanted to see the northern lights before she did. I took a crap ton of photos and would like to get some printed with a textured surface of some sorts so she can at least feel the image later in life. Is this a thing that can be done or would I have to DIY something up?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Shrieking Muppet posted:

So really odd question, is their a way to get raised printing done?

Did a trip to Alaska with a good friend last year, unfortunately we did this trip because she slowly going blind and wanted to see the northern lights before she did. I took a crap ton of photos and would like to get some printed with a textured surface of some sorts so she can at least feel the image later in life. Is this a thing that can be done or would I have to DIY something up?

I’ve done some 3d printed lithophanes that you can shine a light through to create an image. They basically are a 3d representation of a normal image. Found this while trying to google for an explanation: https://youtu.be/yIjKwKClFqs

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Brought my 50-150mm Sigma to an event today and the autofocus refuses to kick in. Other lens working fine so it’s not the body. Taking pictures of dogs running around in MF is not my idea of a good time, and I’m guessing having someone take a look at repairing it is gonna be some decent $$ right? Sigh.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Is there a way to transfer photos from an as card to an external hard drive without a computer? There’s a thing called a Gnarbox but it’s $$$ and also looks like the company may be defunct?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Arcella posted:

Is there a way to transfer photos from an as card to an external hard drive without a computer? There’s a thing called a Gnarbox but it’s $$$ and also looks like the company may be defunct?

Gnarbox is a bad idea but unfortunately I don't know of any other product our there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You could probably accomplish the same thing with a headless raspberry pi zero 2 using some fastboot Linux and whatever script

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hadlock posted:

You could probably accomplish the same thing with a headless raspberry pi zero 2 using some fastboot Linux and whatever script

I've done exactly that! Well, with an rpi4. I even scripted it to automatically start the sync when the devices are plugged in.

Regrettably it's not fast though. Even the newest pi (assuming you can find one) is only usb 2.0 speeds.

I based the script off one I found for those ravpower filehubs, which are/were an embedded linux file server thingy (which also had abysmal transfer rates).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Well the general point of street photography is to take candid images unnoticed, and using flash completely defeats the purpose

well, up until the photo was taken this is possibly still true

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Anyone else alone irl in their love for photography, shooting, gear discussion, etc? I don’t know anyone who even brings a camera anywhere anymore. All my friends who I shot with 7-8 years ago have dust on their Nikon D7100s and have settled on their phones for photo needs. I get that the quality of phone photography has dramatically improved over a decade, but I’m blown away by how many people have lost interest in the shooting experience that one can only get from a real camera.

In 2012 the camera industry shipped 20 million DSLR and mirrorless bodies and 30 million lenses. Last year it was just under 6 million bodies and 10 million lenses. This really is becoming a niche hobby.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know anyone with a DSLR or mirrorless setup. Best I got is seeing someone with a setup out on a trail and we might exchange pleasantries but that's about it.

It's clearly not a dead hobby or else they'd have stopped making bodies but it's definitely a lot more niche. I pretend I'm in a community by watching youtube videos.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i discovered TFP a year or so ago and going to meetups introduced me to a few locals and while I don’t really go to the groups anymore i’ve kinda become friends with a photographer so yeah i know one person

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I got the impression that a lot of people got a DSLR for a specific need then tried to play around with photography to justify the expense, rather than justify the expense to pursue the interest in photography.

Now phones fulfill the general need the latter doesn't happen.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The other day I had someone ask about my rangefinder and we talked about how you hardly ever see them in the wild anymore. It's getting the same way with DSLRs too apparently, you have to really love photography to carry a DSLR around these days :v:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I don't really think I've ever known anyone with more than a point and shoot at any time in my life :shrug:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I had one guy where I live now and we both had 5D IIIs. But, he's since dropped any real active shooting as his marriage imploded and reignites.

Before I moved 8 years ago, my across the street neighbor was also a canon 5d (II) guy and we'd occasionally shoot together.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Pretty much alone here too. I had one local friend who I'd go shooting car stuff with, but he moved states so now I'm pretty much only ever shooting with other folks when I'm traveling and meet up with them, or they happen to be in my area.

Mega Comrade posted:

I got the impression that a lot of people got a DSLR for a specific need then tried to play around with photography to justify the expense, rather than justify the expense to pursue the interest in photography.

IME what used to happen is most folks got sold on a DSLR because they wanted to take 'the best and coolest photos' of their vacation/family/etc, but then the reality set in that gear doesn't make the photo and their boring snapshots still look like boring snapshots, so they just stop taking it around because it's annoying to carry and expensive.

But yeah, either way phones still killed that whole part of the market, both by being Good Enough™ and... ironically, in a lot of ways the wide angle lenses, computational photography, and 'selfie capability' can kind of throw people into taking more interesting photos almost by accident. Or at least do it way more than any big high resolution sensor could.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Mega Comrade posted:

That’s probably true. Or if not the specific need, the gap between a phone and a DSLR photo quality was enormous in 2012, so it was fun to have. That and the immediate way we share photos today make carrying a camera cumbersome.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Yup.

The other day I had someone ask about my rangefinder and we talked about how you hardly ever see them in the wild anymore. It's getting the same way with DSLRs too apparently, you have to really love photography to carry a DSLR around these days :v:

I am a DSLR dinosaur and the Nikon F Mount is my La Brea Tar Pit.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I do wet plate collodion so there is like... one other active shooter in my state whom I know of (who only shoots in the studio now). Most of what I know was taught by another goon local to me who also used to do a lot of wet plate, but he's generally slammed with work these days starting an unrelated business, so I mostly shoot alone.

As you can imagine, when I take the large format camera and portable darkroom setup out I get a *lot* of questions and comments from passers by. Normally I'm happy to chat and explain stuff, if I'm particularly keen to be left alone I just put my respirator on and people give me a wide berth :v:

Brrrmph posted:

That and the immediate way we share photos today make carrying a camera cumbersome.

I think a lot of it's this; having to go home, load them onto your computer, probably run them through LR or PS, export, upload to Instagram... where it most likely gets ignored by the algorithm in favour of dumb animal videos and lifestyle porn.

I hardly ever use my mirrorless setup these days, generally it's phone for everyday stuff and film or wet plate for when I'm being more intentional.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I live in the greater Tokyo blob, so there are still plenty of locals (both at events and also just around for street photography) and tourists with cameras, and plenty of them are mirrorless. It’s a reason I jumped away from the DSLR too, it became harder to take with me while taking photos with the phone felt soulless.

My wife had a very old Sony mirrorless, and I got her to get a Fuji XA to share lenses and batteries with me, and I have family interested in using “proper” cameras who I’m going to be teaching and shopping with soon. But out of friends groups, I know I’m an outlier as well.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If you want to shoot with people, look up if your town/city has a photography club. Mine does even though it's not q particularly large town, I went to a meet once and it was a good 60+ people.

I ended up not joining though, I prefer shooting alone and the competitions and talks didn't interest me much personally. I should probably reconsider, would probably help me get better.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I rarely shoot with other people but I do have a couple of friends with aligned interest who I go out with a fair bit. I'm a member of a few photography clubs too, one for printing, one for shooting and one for cameras and collecting so I know a lot of people in the hobby, but prefer to shoot at my own pace.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Wildlife photography is booming around here, loads more people out taking bird pics then there used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i've met a lot of local photographers and it's almost always been just finding someone who i like the work of on flickr (in the past) or instagram and asking to hang out and chat about work.