Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

it really is just legalising and incentivising human trafficking which we already have a problem with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's really a shame since they were doing so well stopping people being enslaved.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Communist Thoughts posted:

it really is just legalising and incentivising human trafficking which we already have a problem with

Is it a problem or is it a solution to a problem that the rational free market has come up with? Supply and demand, checkmate commie

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Black...women. NO THANKS !! Watching BBC now !

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

forkboy84 posted:

Is it a problem or is it a solution to a problem that the rational free market has come up with? Supply and demand, checkmate commie

Nobody wants to work any more. That's why we'll hand them to immigration if they don't

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Rollie Fingers posted:

Black...women. NO THANKS !! Watching BBC now !

Powering a dynamo by suspending Facebook racists between some black women and Gary Lineker.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1633873565971005442

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/10/david-attenborough-bbc-wild-isles-episode-rightwing-backlash-fears

Can't he focus on the positives of the poop tomatoes

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Mar 10, 2023

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64920557

Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

A documentary subject that would be considered “common sense” back in the 90/2000s needs to be censored is saying something at this point.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
this just goes to show that Attenborough is doing everything right because he makes both the right and left angry. The right by talking about the impact of farming on wildlife, and the left by saying that Africa is overpopulated and they need to stop breeding so much

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/mattuthompson/status/1634238341683003421

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
BBC (Bitchmade Broadcasting Corporation)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I mean what did you think it stood for?

that is bit of a mean joke but I thought it was funny

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i wonder if 10 years of appointing tory headbangers into bbc management positions had anything to do with it

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Gary Lineker for Labour leader

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
If anybody would like a reminder of the tweet ik question
https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1633111662352891908

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
where's michael owen in all this

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

bbc getting morally pantsed by a football player is what they deserve

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/IanWright0/status/1634243318723821576?s=20

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

i wonder if 10 years of appointing tory headbangers into bbc management positions had anything to do with it

yeah this isn't libs censoring themselves to try to be "fair", it's been taken over by chuds

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Tfw the center left have been left behind by the Overton window

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

who’s going to present motd now? my money is on john terry he’s probably desperate for the cash

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/1634246933803069440

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

John Charity Spring posted:

this just goes to show that Attenborough is doing everything right because he makes both the right and left angry. The right by talking about the impact of farming on wildlife, and the left by saying that Africa is overpopulated and they need to stop breeding so much

The worst person you know...

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

and special guest, rachel johnson

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

1: Racism versus football - the battle capitalism never wanted to have yet inevitably caused.

2: I'm very excited, these are two really strong components of British society today and having them square off directly like this means there will be fireworks for sure.

1: Yes, going back a few decades the two were often seen more as allies but the game has changed considerably since then and now they're having to duke it out.

2: What's your prediction then?

1: I'd normally say 'Back the Blue' and go with racism coming out on top, but football has shown itself to be so stubborn and surprising as well as really having the resources to go the distance I just can't rule them out.

2: Yeah, similar thoughts to me then. I'll be watching with great excitment.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Shearer not on MOTD tomorrow either, hat trick

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"So Stanley, what did you think of that shot there?"
"Boris would have scored, and the other team would have clapped on how good it was"

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Looking forward to finding out which former footballer is going to disappoint me by appearing on MOTD.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
welcome your hosts this evening, bob higgins and jim mccaferty

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

matt le tisser

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/joelycett/status/1634269971512426498

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't understand how this has all happened so quickly. I don't want to rhapsodize about "what it means to be British", because obviously I don't know firsthand, but it seems to me that refusing to recognize the basic dignity of human beings, permitting the modern slave trade to operate when, without question, the greatest accomplishment in the history of the Royal Navy was the West Africa Squadron, these things all seem to be less "British", whatever that means to you, than being born somewhere else.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is being British a coincidence of birth, or does it mean something? If it means something, then not only can any migrant become British, but protecting migrants is a demonstration of that meaning in action. Something you choose to do, values you live up to, promises fulfilled. I don't know, it's hard for me to see this, and so quickly, because presumably if Migrants are in the UK, British is something they want to be. The response shouldn't be to make that worthless.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Reestablishing slavery has always been a goal of right-wing nationalism, the only extraordinary part is that they're openly bragging about it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't understand how this has all happened so quickly. I don't want to rhapsodize about "what it means to be British", because obviously I don't know firsthand, but it seems to me that refusing to recognize the basic dignity of human beings, permitting the modern slave trade to operate when, without question, the greatest accomplishment in the history of the Royal Navy was the West Africa Squadron, these things all seem to be less "British", whatever that means to you, than being born somewhere else.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is being British a coincidence of birth, or does it mean something? If it means something, then not only can any migrant become British, but protecting migrants is a demonstration of that meaning in action. Something you choose to do, values you live up to, promises fulfilled. I don't know, it's hard for me to see this, and so quickly, because presumably if Migrants are in the UK, British is something they want to be. The response shouldn't be to make that worthless.

i have a real bad feeling the people at the top got handed information about climate change and other stresses to what we think of as modern civilisation and just kinda moved things up a bit

hence the poo poo about the EU fortress garden that gets leaked all the time. Troubles coming and they know it. This is being framed as anti-migrant policies and a dismantling of human rights protections. They're going to need to make examples of people when things get rough so they need the protections gone fast.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Britain has had no clear reason to exist besides sheer inertia since the Empire collapsed. Therefore, there is no real defining characteristic of Britishness, outside of an ever more distant caricature of history and the entirely negative definition of what we definitely aren't. If you're a ham-faced racist piece of poo poo, it's all too easy to sense that yawning void where your national identity would normally be, combine it with the appearance of people visibly unlike you, and put two and two together to reach a vision of the Royal Navy ramming migrant boats to wank yourself raw over.

This sort of rhetoric has never been that far from the surface at just about any point I can remember, either.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Frosted Flake posted:

The actual answer is that Britishness is a nonsense idea that seems to have died a death with the Empire, albeit maybe on a slight delay because we're collectively too loving stupid to notice for a few decades. And because we're a nation whose "glory days" are in the past according to common definitions (personally I think we can do better than being a miserable racist Empire but what do I know?) there's this massive insecurity about "our" place in the world. I don't know why people my age, born 40 odd years after India achieved independence, are bothered by this in the same way as boomers who might at least remember when we still had some African colonies but then I really don't understand the average Brit & what motivates them & what neuroses drive them.

Britishness isn't about ending the slave trade, it's about being as miserable & cruel as you can be to those worse off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Your observations remind me of a moment from the Opening Ceremony of the 2012 Olympics.

Jerusalem is a hymn still sung in Anglican churches here. It may not have as much symbolic or theological, even felt, meaning in people’s lives, but the general meaning of the song is something I think anyone who’s heard it can apprehend. All of that to say, Satanic mills should come across as self-evidently bad.

When the performance of that song in the opening ceremony transitioned into a celebration of the same forces that constructed the mills, with loving dancing industrialists… what can you even say? Who would have been offended if they actually engaged with the meaning of the hymn and didn’t immediately pull punches? Nobody would have renounced capitalism past or present, turned on The City or any of that, but they still couldn’t commit for even a moment.

I don’t know, it probably doesn’t mean anything in the scheme of things, Vancouver’s opening ceremony was similarly ridiculous. It’s just, well if Rowan Atkinson running on a beach to the Chariots of Fire theme is supposed to make every Briton’s chest swell with pride, and both the film and story it’s based on centre on abandoning racial concepts of Britishness to allow a Jewish person to represent the country on the national team, obviously there’s something being lost if people think their national pride is preserved by keeping people out.

I suppose you’re right that that even in the halcyon days of 2012 there was not a coherent idea of Britishness because it was preoccupied with symbols of the past but not their meaning.