Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Panthers treating the draft like it’s Madden, only without the fun of acquiring half of the 5th round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

Apparently it's already out that Carolina will consider trading down a spot or 2 if they like more than 1 QB.

Is this them daring Houston to come get Young.

This is 1000% Carolina "leaking" it to drive up potential trade value. They're just looking for options.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Traded Mack to who now

move the team back to San Diego

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Dexo posted:

Arizona on draft day is going to get a silly offer for that third pick.

Indy might really be left holding the bag.

This is setting up incredibly well for Seattle. They're already almost certain to have either Andersen or Carter sitting at #5, and if Arizona trades back for a QB needy team then they'll have their pick of the two.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Panthers are just trying to make the Texans think Indy is going to jump up so they can recoup something. IMO no way they drop back past 2.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was thinking they are seeing if Houston moves up because they probably believe it's for Richardson or Young. They probably don't want Stroud who has the same agent that Deshaun Watson does.

Indy Carolina thinking they can get Stroud at 2 and some picks back maybe

kiimo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 11, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kiimo posted:

I was thinking they are seeing if Houston moves up because they probably believe it's for Richardson or Young. They probably don't want Stroud who has the same agent that Deshaun Watson does.

Indy thinking they can get Stroud at 2 and some picks back maybe

How religious is Bryce young?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

BlindSite posted:

Panthers are just trying to make the Texans think Indy is going to jump up so they can recoup something. IMO no way they drop back past 2.

It's a really stupid bluff because Houston has to buy into the idea that Carolina is willing to open the door to a scenario where three QBs are off the board before they pick.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

xbilkis posted:

It's a really stupid bluff because Houston has to buy into the idea that Carolina is willing to open the door to a scenario where three QBs are off the board before they pick.

Also that they traded up to #1 without knowing who they’re taking.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Carolina is not trading down.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

wandler20 posted:

Carolina is not trading down.

Lord I hope not. My bears fan buddy was hearing all the Carolina scuttlebutt so we loaded up on some bets before the trade went through. Would be devastating if they traded out lol

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Never say never and all that but like I said, the only way this happens if if they know for sure who other guys are taking, which they won't and they can't.

The pie in the sky dream scenario would be to drop back to 4 so that Indy could take someone like Richardson, texans take young, arizona hold and we took Stroud, but you'd been too worried about Seattle or the Raiders or someone jumping into Arizona's spot.

I also just watched a video by the dudes who did the QB breakdowns with McCown and they said without saying that they'd spoken to McCown and it's Stroud and they tried everything to keep Moore but the Bears were firm.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

BlindSite posted:

I also just watched a video by the dudes who did the QB breakdowns with McCown and they said without saying that they'd spoken to McCown and it's Stroud and they tried everything to keep Moore but the Bears were firm.

I know some people are saying Stroud isn't worth it, but I think they are wrong. I think this could very well be a trade that works out for both teams.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I guess it's somewhat reassuring that Stroud has impressed so much that it's become a 1A and 1B situation at quarterback. I still think Bryce Young is a once every few years level of talent and would be a tad bummed if the Texans don't get him.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Kirios posted:

I guess it's somewhat reassuring that Stroud has impressed so much that it's become a 1A and 1B situation at quarterback. I still think Bryce Young is a once every few years level of talent and would be a tad bummed if the Texans don't get him.

Bryce Young is the better quarterback, but I'm not convinced the difference is that vast. And his size terrifies me.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I am going to die laughing if Carolina gave away that much to take Richardson.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sataere posted:

Bryce Young is the better quarterback, but I'm not convinced the difference is that vast. And his size terrifies me.

And I say that Stroud is the better quarterback , and I'm convinced the difference is vast because of the size concerns!!!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ornery and Hornery posted:

And I say that Stroud is the better quarterback , and I'm convinced the difference is vast because of the size concerns!!!

Oh that's why I'd take him number one. I think Young's ceiling is slightly higher, but Stroud's floor is significantly higher.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

The Big Jesus posted:

Also that they traded up to #1 without knowing who they’re taking.

I could believe half of NFL front offices doing this.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Stroud is definitely the best fit of the top 3 for Reich's system. He could probably make something that works for Young or Richardson, but Stroud's skillset fits what he normally likes to do like a glove.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the bears would be foolish not to at least look into this. with the draft haul they just got, they could easily trade up to #1 and have their qb of the future

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I was always confused why Richardson was the only "If you can coach him up and he puts it all together, then he could be a true game-changer" QB prospect in the draft when CJ Stroud's last game in college was him leveling up to put on an otherworldly performance against the best team in the country.

Just because Stroud is already good doesn't mean he doesn't also have untapped potential and an insane ceiling. Good on Carolina for making the right call if that's who they end up going with

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I tend to believe the rumors right now, Stroud makes all the sense in the world for the Panthers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kiimo posted:

move the team back to San Diego

I would enjoy this

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm now all in on the Colts getting Richardson and the wild ride it'll come with

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

If the Colts take Richardson at 4 I'm completely fine with it. My fear was them trading up for him or Levis, but if we're keeping all of our other draft capital I feel a lot better about those picks.

I'll be curious to see what the behind-the-scenes dealings looked like with this trade. If Indy was trying hard to get up to that spot and just got outbid by Carolina, that'll make me a lot more nervous than if they were putting out feelers but otherwise content to stay at 4.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't forget while those top 3 qbs are being drafted some team will be sitting back thinking, "those teams that picked, they all ""will leave us"" with a great option." and then that team will select thjeir qb next year. levis isn't pronounced that way

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sataere posted:

Oh that's why I'd take him number one. I think Young's ceiling is slightly higher, but Stroud's floor is significantly higher.

Yep, as I said in the other thread it's no surprise Tepper's playing the "bad cop" by saying he wants Young to try to tempt another team into trading with the Panthers to grab Young.

Seems clear as day to me Carolina's taking Stroud.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

If the Colts take Richardson at 4 I'm completely fine with it. My fear was them trading up for him or Levis, but if we're keeping all of our other draft capital I feel a lot better about those picks.

I'll be curious to see what the behind-the-scenes dealings looked like with this trade. If Indy was trying hard to get up to that spot and just got outbid by Carolina, that'll make me a lot more nervous than if they were putting out feelers but otherwise content to stay at 4.

I really don't want the Colts to lose their first round pick next year, and they don't really have much draft capital this year. I could have lived with losing the 2nd this year, but they absolutely should keep the pick next year. I'm fine if they decided that was too rich for them.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It might be prudent for the Colts as a franchise to keep their powder dry, but man, I'd be sweating bullets if I was Ballard right now. Gotta be tough to go into the offseason already on the hot seat, talk about how you understand you need to do what it takes to get the right guy at QB in the draft, and then end up in a situation where the board could plausibly go QB-QB-QB before your pick

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

xbilkis posted:

It might be prudent for the Colts as a franchise to keep their powder dry, but man, I'd be sweating bullets if I was Ballard right now. Gotta be tough to go into the offseason already on the hot seat, talk about how you understand you need to do what it takes to get the right guy at QB in the draft, and then end up in a situation where the board could plausibly go QB-QB-QB before your pick

They could just commit to the tank next year and get Caleb Williams. Irsay's done it before and I think if they laid that out as the plan and just staying pat, Irsay would be fine with it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I mean, I kind of say it jokingly, but I would not be surprised if Irsay is eyeing Arch Manning and that's who he's waiting to sell the farm for.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you can fully reset a team's qb-through-the-draft situation twice before arch manning becomes available i think. that must be the joking part you're talking about. well, i like it. i like what you said

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sataere posted:

They could just commit to the tank next year and get Caleb Williams. Irsay's done it before and I think if they laid that out as the plan and just staying pat, Irsay would be fine with it.

This is dangerous though since as we just saw, there can be a lot of really loving awful teams in any given year and your own coach might troll you out of contention for the #1 pick (eternal respect to Lovie the absolute king). Also that generational prospect you're dreaming of taking next year might get hurt or turn out to actually suck and welp

If I'm Irsay--which I am not, because I am not licking acid tabs off a hooker while listening to Yes right now--I dump clips and trade up for my guy. Because being in this exact same "we suck rear end even in a bad division but somehow aren't bad enough to draft a franchise QB" limbo for multiple years is horrifying

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Docjowles posted:

This is dangerous though since as we just saw, there can be a lot of really loving awful teams in any given year and your own coach might troll you out of contention for the #1 pick (eternal respect to Lovie the absolute king). Also that generational prospect you're dreaming of taking next year might get hurt or turn out to actually suck and welp

If I'm Irsay--which I am not, because I am not licking acid tabs off a hooker while listening to Yes right now--I dump clips and trade up for my guy. Because being in this exact same "we suck rear end even in a bad division but somehow aren't bad enough to draft a franchise QB" limbo for multiple years is horrifying

If there is a guy at three you want, yeah. But trading up for a guy you don't want isn't a good long term decision. They might not have a choice anymore. I think it'd be easy to sell a tank to your fanbase just looking at what the Bears did.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Colts are taking Levis and you will like it. Indianapolis will take the big strong white QB.

The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

1. Panthers - QB
2. Texans - QB
3. Cardinals - ???
4. Colts - QB
5. Seahawks - !!!

QUESTION to the thread: IF the Cardinals stay put, which defender are they taking?

I want Anderson to Seattle more than Carter. I think Anderson is more scheme proof and also will contribute more in 2023.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I do think that if Ballard and Steichen really felt like one of the top 3/4 QBs in this draft was a clear standout from the rest and someone they were really passionate about as the future franchise guy, they would've made the move. It's entirely possible that they looked at all of them and said either "we can work with any of these guys" or "these guys could all be good, but we don't really feel like any of them are worth the draft capital." That's why I don't think the Colts will trade up with Arizona, because if they had one guy in mind and they were concerned about him getting sniped they would've moved heaven and earth to get to #1. I also don't think it's too likely that anyone jumps them, but that's just my gut feeling.

Now, is it also possible that they were in a desperate bidding war for the #1 pick against Carolina and they just got outbid because Ballard is hyper-conservative when it comes to draft picks? Sure, and that possibility is the only thing causing me some concern. But I feel like Ballard knows the score at this point and he wouldn't have balked at the price if he truly believed Stroud or Young was the guy.

I am bummed I won't get to root for Stroud as the Colts QB. At this point I'm guessing they take Richardson at 4, or trade back and take either Levis or Hooker.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I want Anderson to Seattle more than Carter. I think Anderson is more scheme proof and also will contribute more in 2023.

I would assume the Cards are taking Anderson, but either of them would fill a huge need pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah there's no consensus on who the best QB is. I don't think you can go wrong with Stroud but is he really that much better that you'd give up so much for him? Maybe, but I don't think so. The Colts need help in other areas, and they wouldn't be able to address all of those needs if they traded away a lot of draft picks.