Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

LLSix posted:

I spent a few minutes googling and I believe "The Loud House: Revamped" has TWI thoroughly beaten on wordcount at 16,777,215 words. A quick glance at it convinced me that TWI is significantly better written. I say this as someone who stopped reading TWI years ago. I'm inclined to believe that nobody should subject themselves to reading "The Loud House: Revamped."

This article lists several multi-million word series, it's possible one of them is worth reading. I'm neither brave nor bored enough to investigate: https://slate.com/culture/2022/02/l...illion%20words.

It's a surprisingly frustrating topic to research. Most online lists of written works by length neglect to include A Wheel of Time which clocks in at just under 5 million words, well above the lowest word count on all lists and in some cases above the "longest" work in the list. Supposedly there are a couple of multi-million word "novels," but at that length, the very concept of a novel has been rather badly stretched.

Oh hey, goon written Katalepsis has 1.6 million words according to RR. Good job!

How many is BtDEM? The Royal Road word count is inaccurate.

I kind of wonder what the word count of Paradise Lost is up to now.

It gets worse, because word count is a distinctive English way of counting.
If you want to compare internationally you have to convert stuff like 300000 pages or 600 million characters to wordcount. Though I did find someone estimating Perry Rhodan at 100 million words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I mean, german seems like one of the easier languages to figure out word count from, seeing as it has words.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
yes but they're all like "rechtsschutzversicherungsgesellschaften" and "lebensabschnittpartner"

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
It's not like raw wordcount is directly indicative of quality, see: tim buckley's regular ctr alt del comics versus his unintentional magnum opus, loss.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Skeep posted:

It's not like raw wordcount is directly indicative of quality, see: tim buckley's regular ctr alt del comics versus his unintentional magnum opus, loss.

if anything theres usually an inverse correlation between length and quality. web serials tend of to have lots of filler/cruft anyway (as youd expect from any first draft), most of them would be dramatically improved if they were shortened by a third.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Yeah as much as I enjoyed TWI (I stopped after the Goblin War arc cause it was too much for me)
A good editor could probably cut it's word count by 2/3rds without losing anything

Oh that also reminds me of a complaint my friend had about Katalepsis, which I kinda agree with:
Katalepsis has very, very realistic argument scenes in it. They play out pretty much as if the characters were real people.
This... kinda sucks, cause real arguments tend to be very repetitive and frustrating to anyone watching them, and well... the argument scenes tend to be repetitive and frustrating to read too. My friend brought this up, cause unlike me where I could skim, he listened to the audiobook and had to listen to the entire argument play out in real time.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Aware posted:

Just chiming in to say it's nice to have TWI discussion again. When I was getting through the bulk of it it kind of felt like the thread was very over it at the time.

As someone who doesn't like TWI, I'm happy to see people discussing any book, and it can be interesting to read even about a series that doesn't appeal to me personally. But when people just post about how long TWI is or how long a new chapter is, it's hard to resist the urge to make fun of them. Talk about buying books by the yard!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hate it when people use the word count to sell people on it, but it's a big selling point if you're already invested in it--if that makes sense. Some people will probably point out that this is how Stockholm syndrome works, but it really is impressive how good it is given that everything else remotely approaching its word count is utter word salad. I realize it sounds like I'm repeatedly damning it with faint praise here, but it is rarely repetitive, and still very entertaining, for a fairly specific niche of people for whom the glacial pace is not merely tolerable, but a legitimate asset.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
twi is literally the perfect work for content hogs

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the recent 70k chapter was a bit much

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ar'Kendrithyst Patreon: I love Tom. So many authors can only write in one 'voice' but I know people exactly like Tom and him interacting with Erick made me smile because I can picture that conversation in my head perfectly.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Argue posted:

I hate it when people use the word count to sell people on it, but it's a big selling point if you're already invested in it--if that makes sense. Some people will probably point out that this is how Stockholm syndrome works, but it really is impressive how good it is given that everything else remotely approaching its word count is utter word salad. I realize it sounds like I'm repeatedly damning it with faint praise here, but it is rarely repetitive, and still very entertaining, for a fairly specific niche of people for whom the glacial pace is not merely tolerable, but a legitimate asset.

I consider word count a big selling point if I'm looking for a story to try. I'm not very big on following the serial format so I'll generally read what's there then find something else rather than read each update as it comes out, so I'd much prefer a 300k+ story to one with a lot of recommendations but only 30-40k so far. Also I've been burned by loving a story that just started only to have it stop updating a few weeks later.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I don't understand why pirateaba doesn't split up a few of the bigger chapters to have a more consistent update schedule. I guess everyone is pot committed at this point and unlikely to drop the series over a break, but I think no breaks and chapters that are only 30k words or whatever would be a better reading experience.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I don't understand why pirateaba doesn't split up a few of the bigger chapters to have a more consistent update schedule. I guess everyone is pot committed at this point and unlikely to drop the series over a break, but I think no breaks and chapters that are only 30k words or whatever would be a better reading experience.

the chapter probably isnt written entirely linearly

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

shades of blue posted:

the chapter probably isnt written entirely linearly

I'm talking about publishing, not writing.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
suddenly publishing shorter chapters, even with making it clear that it's larger ones broken up, might result in negative engagement. pretty sure it's a web serial guideline that once you've established a schedule and word count per update then you shouldn't deviate from it. if the audience is used to breaks then that's how it is

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I just read it in 10 minute blocks anyway. They do seem to be punishing themselves quite often in writing super long chapters given the afternotes.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

TWI is like everest. A lot of dreams die there and you're going to see some amazing sights as you climb it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

her update schedule is extremely consistent, though. I can count on two hands the number of times she's unexpectedly delayed chapters in the past 3 years. If you're referring to recently, she took two weeks off to finish editing/rewriting vol 1. She pretty much has 3 weeks of 2 updates a week and one week off each month 90% of the time

Aware posted:

I just read it in 10 minute blocks anyway. They do seem to be punishing themselves quite often in writing super long chapters given the afternotes.

oh she's absolutely addicted to writing, but her prose has been consistently getting better throughout the years so its difficult to fault her too much for it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

TWI: Vol 2.

Not really an enormous fan of this Antinium info dump chapter here. It's pretty dully written with Ryoka just sitting there slack jawed with "and my heart stops" interjections while Klbkch monologues for thousands of words. It could really use the characters moving around or… something. Anything other than the literary equivalent of shot-reverse-shot for 40 minutes. The revelation of a sleeping god the Antinium are fighting is really undermined by the otherwise really dull writing here.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 12, 2023

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's a good early example of pirate learning from feedback what works and what doesn't--I was bored as heck by it and so were most people, but pirate goes back to this well in v4 and it's way more entertaining in the way they solve the problem of a textbook being as boring as... a textbook. switching between multiple POVs of various people reading the book and them being either pleased or mad at the bias and inaccuracies

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

New chapter of Super Supportive is fun; it actually manages to make you pretty excited alongside the main character and his friends as they discuss this stuff (which is something nearly all other series with super-power/magic premises don't pull off).

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Mage among super heroes is my new, favorite Isekai. Orc mage ends up in Superhero land, hijinks ensue.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Horizon Burning posted:

suddenly publishing shorter chapters, even with making it clear that it's larger ones broken up, might result in negative engagement. pretty sure it's a web serial guideline that once you've established a schedule and word count per update then you shouldn't deviate from it. if the audience is used to breaks then that's how it is

They just wrote a segment that was like 70k+ words, chopped it up into two 35k+ chapters, then released both chapters at once as 9.38 Part 1 and 9.38 Part 2 lol

The chapter after that was merely 9800 words, thankfully.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
9.40 is 36k words tho innit

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is there anything worth reading on webtoons? The Gamer is decent if you want to read about numbers going up (although it escalates very quickly). I've flipped through the rest of the catalog a couple times and nothing else has really caught my eye.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've checked and I am subscribed to:

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/the-weekly-roll/list?title_no=358889

https://www.webtoons.com/en/comedy/mage-and-demon-queen/list?title_no=1438

https://www.webtoons.com/en/slice-of-life/bluechair/list?title_no=199

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/punderworld/list?title_no=312584

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/litterbox-comics/list?title_no=196742

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/the-other-end-comics/list?title_no=148734

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/toothy-bj/list?title_no=99747

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

LLSix posted:

Is there anything worth reading on webtoons? The Gamer is decent if you want to read about numbers going up (although it escalates very quickly). I've flipped through the rest of the catalog a couple times and nothing else has really caught my eye.

It’s more romance and not at all “number go up” but I love Lore Olympus.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

3rd Voice is just starting out, by the guy who did Vattu and Rice Boy, Evan Dahm. you can also read it the normal webcomic way though so i dunno if it counts

https://mobile.twitter.com/3rdvoicecomic/status/1632777107368443910

could turn out to be his best work, if it stays consistent, which his work historically always is

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I've finished The Wandering Inn: Vol 2. This volume felt kinda aimless and the hints of a possible plot line only starting in the last 20% of it. There were several parts of it that kind of dragged on like Ryoka visiting the dragon for the last time. There it felt like they kept saying their goodbyes only to turn around and awkwardly continue the conversation. The absence of my favorite guy Pisces for most of the book also lessened my opinion of it. Overall this felt like the start of a 2 or 3 part book arc, so perhaps my opinion will change with the next vol. That said, with how long this vol was (60 hours of audio) I really feel like there should have been a complete story here, and it shouldn't have just been a setup. I'd say I probably liked the last vol more than this one even with Ryoka being far less obnoxious here.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

LLSix posted:

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/kubera/list?title_no=83

There's a bunch of other cool stuff I've read on there that appears to be app-only now? Or, most of the chapters are missing, idgi:

https://www.webtoons.com/en/drama/cheese-in-the-trap/list?title_no=99&page=1

https://www.webtoons.com/en/drama/the-sound-of-magic-annarasumanara/list?title_no=77

https://www.webtoons.com/en/sports/be-still-my-heart/list?title_no=4012

Anything by Ilkwon Ha, really.

A lot of things that are brought up in the manwha thread in ADTRW are on Webtoons, as it's where most (all?) of the official translations end up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

TWI: Vol 3
I'm a big fan of this emperor guy, and it's neat having a POV from an entirely blind person and only getting things described with the other senses.

A strong start to this book.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm a big fan of this emperor guy, and it's neat having a POV from an entirely blind person and only getting things described with the other senses.

Lol, Laken.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow he's like my least favourite character and apart from other characters visiting him I find all his chapters a total grind

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I think everyone liked the first bunch of Laken chapters, up until he invented the debates channel on the TWI discord

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Laken's chapters were really neat until they weren't and then he very quickly became my second least favorite character after you know who

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
TWI discussion about Laken. (end of Book 8)

I used to like Laken a lot, when it was just him shacking up in the woods with his troll lady, but I felt like he is one of those characters who is letting their class affect their personality too much. He was such a nice, sweet person in the beginning, but after the goblin war...you would think someone with a German background would be more aware of not trying to eradicate another race of people, complete with chemical gas and slaughtering children. And then building weapons of war and letting the humans use them to underhandedly attack the drakes. I know he felt bad about it at the end, but doesn't really excuse his behavior. I was really hoping Rags would pop up suddenly and stab him in the back at the end there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It beggers belief a bit that Ryoka didn't pick up when the fairies called the leveling system the "game of the gods" in vol 2 of TWI. That's been bothering me ever since then but she just glossed it over.

On a positive note she has an official fairy friend now, though I'm not sure if I like obsequious Ryoka very much. I kind of hope this passes after she gets over the honeymoon period.. TWI Vol: 3

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

It beggers belief a bit that Ryoka didn't pick up when the fairies called the leveling system the "game of the gods" in vol 2 of TWI. That's been bothering me ever since then but she just glossed it over.

On a positive note she has an official fairy friend now, though I'm not sure if I like obsequious Ryoka very much. I kind of hope this passes after she gets over the honeymoon period.. TWI Vol: 3

Ivolethe is one of my favorite characters in the whole story, I hope you enjoy her as she develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I just love (TWI: Vol 3) Lyon. Just an absolute awful person with some tiiiiiny hints of a good heart buried in her miserable sense of superiority.

quote:

The Drake looked indignantly at the bulging pack of supplies he’d brought.
“What? My meal’s not on the house?”
“No!”
Lyon glared at him. The Drake glared back.

What a fantastic chapter lol

Edit: haha serving that hotdog water.

quote:

He snapped at her as he drank some of the hot water she’d boiled and grimaced at the taste. It was the same water she’d used for the noodles, and he pushed that back on the table as well after another sip.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 14, 2023