Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Okay, I stand corrected! Other then repeatedly doing a bunch of boring, samey chores it's not like FO76.

Wasn't this the problem with Halo Infinite's battlepass system, at least at launch? Something like you would get a batch of random tasks to complete for battlepass XP but some of the tasks were garbage so players would spend a hard to get currency to reroll the tasks?
It is a similar symptom to that and other tedious aspects of battlepass systems from the past several decades. For another example, Fallout 76 recently added an option to reroll your randomly generate perk, but that feature costs atoms, the in-game currency you can buy for real money (or earn small amounts of through the season pass):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBbtYcNi5qg

To be fair, Halo Infinite's system always seemed just straight up broken, like the developers didn't understand how video games worked, because their perk reroll tokens were given as rewards within the battlepass ranks. That game's trajectory since release confirms that the developers just didn't understand what players wanted with virtually every aspect of the game (the population numbers on a F2P Halo game are hilariously bad on Steam, and there's constant rumors about the developers being taken off the Halo franchise). I don't even know if there's a Halo Infinite thread on these forums, but that's a game I think much less of compared to New World, where it's problems weren't even interesting or funny past the first week or two, so it's just something I'm reminded of every 6 months when I remember how much I loved Halo 2 in college.

New World's system seems more like another blatant attempt to push players to engage with every existing activity in the game in an attempt to make New World seem like it has more depth than it really does. For example, 1 of the seasonal activities asks players to defeat the Elite Arena bosses, content which still requires an old-fashioned tuning orb to enter and hasn't been relevant since the game's original launch date. They also added Leaderboard categories for these activities last month; again, without reworking their tuning orb requirements or improving/updating those activities' rewards. AGS seems to believe they can convince people that they've been wrong for the past year and a half, and that the game does have a deep and varied endgame that they just didn't realize.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That Battle Pass system doesn't seem too bad and was kinda what I was hoping for, that it would do a lot to encourage you to run around the game world completing tasks. As that sort of gameplay loop works better for my lizard brain.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

That Battle Pass system doesn't seem too bad and was kinda what I was hoping for, that it would do a lot to encourage you to run around the game world completing tasks. As that sort of gameplay loop works better for my lizard brain.
Here's a list of all the possible activities on the Public Test Realm right now:

The activities themselves are very generic, and don't seem to promote a 'fun' gameplay loop when combined with the Activity Card system. I'm sure it will work for some people, but I don't think it's going to draw people back to the game, or extend the game's life for players who are already getting tired of doing the same things over and over.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Discospawn posted:

Here's a list of all the possible activities on the Public Test Realm right now:

The activities themselves are very generic, and don't seem to promote a 'fun' gameplay loop when combined with the Activity Card system. I'm sure it will work for some people, but I don't think it's going to draw people back to the game, or extend the game's life for players who are already getting tired of doing the same things over and over.

I can totally agree with that. I think New World at this point is realistically on life support and will be dead soon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's too little too late at this point, but I would really like to see New World have a single player focused story like what Guild Wars 2 or FF14 have. And a future paid expansion that goes to other islands and has pve & pvp naval ship combat. I think Ashes of Creation is suppose to be an MMO with this stuff though, but that is a dreams.txt MMO and is not actually releasing ever.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

You'd think that if they can give people a clear "log back in and actually play and you'll get stuff" would be a bonus but if they can't even get people to level 60, yeah I'm not sure how well this will help. I know I'd like to try their structured PVP but it's all stupidly locked to 60 and I just haven't bothered to grind up that far.

quote:

It's too little too late at this point, but I would really like to see New World have a single player focused story like what Guild Wars 2 or FF14 have.

I feel like it's on their roadmap but I feel like New World constantly changing the game to chase players has made their development a mess and is why New World is where it is today. I mean it's smart that they didn't stick with the HaRDcOrE PVp like their originally were going to do although ironically they may have had a more consistent userbase for that (albeit smaller). But they just don't have the speed to be able to make single player story they are doing from scratch + dungeons and raids + pvp stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New World also would have been awesome as it is in its current state, but an entirely offline single player survival crafting / combat RPG, and letting players run their own servers with custom rules. 99% of MMORPGs anyways could have really just been single player offline RPGs. They are the equivalent of could have just sent an e-mail.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Disagree, most New World servers are effectively single player at the moment and it doesn't seem to help.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GaylordButts posted:

Disagree, most New World servers are effectively single player at the moment and it doesn't seem to help.

At least as an offline game we can have mods, and cheat. :(

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

If the argument is that MMOs are going to be replaced by Conan Exiles / Valheim / etc than I mean, yeah I agree with you. But then again New World wasn't supposed to be an MMO at the start. It was literally going to be something akin to Conan Exiles / Rust / Ark / etc. So to see that being pitched is pretty funny imho

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What I dont like about those other games is that their focus is on crafting and build. That isnt an interesting gameplay loop to me.

Darwin_
Oct 4, 2021

Not buy to play anymore then. Is there any initial promise left that they didn't steer away from?

Also did I see someone mention dungeons? They added dungeons?
How about swimming animations?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Darwin_ posted:

Not buy to play anymore then. Is there any initial promise left that they didn't steer away from?

Also did I see someone mention dungeons? They added dungeons?
How about swimming animations?

Yes there are like a half dozen dungeons. No swimming animations so your character still seems like they are wearing lead boots when they walk in water.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The dungeons also loving blow and the end game is doing them over and over and over again so you can get 4-5 sets of 625 gear with appropriate damage resists so you can keep doing them at +1 difficulty.

The fun PVP from the first few weeks of release has been dead for a long time.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The dungeons also loving blow and the end game is doing them over and over and over again so you can get 4-5 sets of 625 gear with appropriate damage resists so you can keep doing them at +1 difficulty.

The 'different resist gear sets' thing is something that sucked hard in vanilla WoW so I'm not sure why any game would want to repeat it.

Apr 7, 2003

Because they have no other plans or ideas after PvP bombed hard for some reason.

Not even sure why, because company-based PVP and taking zones was a blast for the first month or so.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Because they have no other plans or ideas after PvP bombed hard for some reason.

Not even sure why, because company-based PVP and taking zones was a blast for the first month or so.

It was ruined by cheating and balance issues, and then the player population dropping off really hard.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Let's not neglect that getting a bunch of people together to run a ton of pvp missions at once so a territory could get contested and flipped was turbo nerfed from six different angles because how dare people play the objective.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Guys I just bought the game it's gonna be great :smugbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You made the right choice. :homebrew:

Darwin_
Oct 4, 2021

Bar Patron posted:

Guys I just bought the game it's gonna be great :smugbert:

Make sure you also buy the battle pass and cosmetics from the cash shop, you know, to support the devs Jeff

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I also bought it the other day, during the sale. I never have much MMO experience other than some of the FPS ones (WWIIO, Planetside 2). Liking the feel of this one so far.

Apr 7, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

I also bought it the other day, during the sale. I never have much MMO experience other than some of the FPS ones (WWIIO, Planetside 2). Liking the feel of this one so far.

Honestly, if you just play the game 0-60 and stop there it's worth what you paid for it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Honestly, if you just play the game 0-60 and stop there it's worth what you paid for it.

I wouldn't agree with this. There are only four dungeons you can run pre-60, and those are about the only interesting thing in the process. The story is nothing special, there are very few enemies that have any sort of complexity to them that requires you to do more than just spam your attacks, and there are only a few skills that have any sort of non-damage component that you can have fun with. The only interesting component in the 1-60 experience is the visuals and figuring out how to effectively make use of your few abilities to make it faster.

Unless you really enjoy finding the little lore bits and really get into the story the leveling experience is absolutely not worth $40. Tons of better games for that at that price point or lower. So many that if somehow New World makes it to the top of your list then there is a entirely different problem at hand. Hell, even if you have played every other option you can find, running your favorites multiple times would still be a better experience.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Heard from someone who works at AGS that the studio is probably closing, or at least Amazon is giving it serious consideration right now. What that means for New World, and Lost Ark, I have no idea. I imagine Lost Ark will continue since it's really all SmileGate handling that, but New World will shut down.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Not surprised. New World is a disaster but at least Lost Ark plays with foreign audiences or those that wanna. It'll likely be a year until it happens anyway.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Don't forget about Blue Protocol. I was hoping they would release the benchmark in NA, so I can see what the setting actually do, but welp...

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The game's switch to a seasonal system and it's first big content release since Brimstone Sands seemed to be the game's last desperate attempt to become viable. Here's the post made earlier today:

In their last Developer Q&A video, they even explicitly answered a question about whether they could meet the new expectation about 3-month content release cycles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv912UuXU0o&t=694s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I completely forgot about the battle pass launch, and just now noticed it was delayed with no release date. Considering how few people are left working on the game, this doesn't surprise me.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Is this not the second delay of it? I could be mixing it up with something else, but I seem to recall another delay for it earlier in the month.

Again, could absolutely be thinking of something else, but i'm still a member of the r/newworldgame subreddit and in my feed I feel like I saw something related to this being delayed in the past couple weeks.

I'm happy people still find fun with this game in the 1-60, but beyond that, it goes to poo poo. And 95% of the changes for this game, like every MMO, are geared to end-game content.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Is this not the second delay of it? I could be mixing it up with something else, but I seem to recall another delay for it earlier in the month.

Again, could absolutely be thinking of something else, but i'm still a member of the r/newworldgame subreddit and in my feed I feel like I saw something related to this being delayed in the past couple weeks.

I'm happy people still find fun with this game in the 1-60, but beyond that, it goes to poo poo. And 95% of the changes for this game, like every MMO, are geared to end-game content.
They had to delay the initial release of the PTR the day after they announced it would be ready the next day.

The current problem is much worse, though, as after their announcement on Saturday evening (that the big Season 1 update was being delayed indefinitely), AGS has gone completely silent on every front, with the exception of 2 posts about the Leaderboards (and by association, Season 1) being delayed in 2 or 1 day increments:

(image captured at 11:00 PM Wednesday)

There's been no more communication since that second post yesterday evening, so the assumption is that they won't be able to hit that goal of the 31st either. The whole thing has been another bizarre mess, and there's suspicion that the delay isn't because of any gameplay or stability-related bugs, but rather because the developers are re-working their Season Pass progression mechanics to prevent players from completing it too quickly (and thus encouraging players to pay cash for Season Pass ranks to avoid the grind).

Edit:
I guess I should add that some players are frustrated that AGS has decided to indefinitely extend the quarterly Leaderboards as part of this delay, rather than ending the Leaderboards on the day they were scheduled to end. Very few players actually care about the Leaderboard rankings in the game; but for the tiny % of players who do care, this is drawing out how much longer they need to grind various boring parts of the game to maintain their Top 10 status for their server.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 30, 2023

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I enjoyed the leveling to 60, the crafting, exploring, the skill based aiming for ranged weapons, and the music system. I took one look at the end game gameplay and noped offline though.

I’m now fooling around with ESO which is better in a lot of ways but I do miss how much more fun using a bow is in NW.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Seems like the game is steadily losing 5-10k players a month. Since the start of the year, the playerbase has dropped from 100k to 25k. It's on it's last breath, so they gotta do something fast. It's not even really talked about anymore, from my personal viewing. None of the old New World streamers I watch reminisce about the old days or even talk trash about it. It's just, not being talked about.

I'm not even sure what they could do to turn it around now.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Blow up the world with a comet and a fancy cutscene and then rerelease it as A New World Reborn.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

So wait are they rushing to try to get the patch ready so that they can slam it out on a Friday afternoon? Did they look at the Star Citizen debacle and say "hold my beer"? I get that you're trying to get it out there but man what a terrible idea if they push it live tomorrow.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Cutedge posted:

So wait are they rushing to try to get the patch ready so that they can slam it out on a Friday afternoon? Did they look at the Star Citizen debacle and say "hold my beer"? I get that you're trying to get it out there but man what a terrible idea if they push it live tomorrow.
Yeah, 1 of the cardinal rules of software deployment is to never do it on a Friday unless you're prepared for overnight/weekend support. However, I get the feeling these 1-2 day delays are just lip service and not actually real estimates. There's been no more communications from AGS about anything, and it's 5:30 PT, so it would be a hell of a thing for them to go through with anything in the next 18-ish hours.

ShowTime posted:

Seems like the game is steadily losing 5-10k players a month. Since the start of the year, the playerbase has dropped from 100k to 25k. It's on it's last breath, so they gotta do something fast. It's not even really talked about anymore, from my personal viewing. None of the old New World streamers I watch reminisce about the old days or even talk trash about it. It's just, not being talked about.

I'm not even sure what they could do to turn it around now.

The rate of player decline since the Fall 2022 update has been staggering, especially when looking at the Fresh Start Server population:

Within the New World community, a lot of long-time veterans of the game have an irrational hatred of Fresh Start Servers as a concept, and they're eager to point to this player decline as proof that their hatred is justified. However, when you look at how poorly AGS has managed the Fresh Start Servers, and how low their peak player counts are, it's easy to understand why players might be leaving those servers at an accelerated pace:

As an aggregate, the game's current population matches the lowest point the game reached in 2022, except it took until June to reach that point last year, and the population wasn't divided between 2 different server ecosystems with no plan to merge them. A small part of me thinks the delay for the Season 1 update is a result of Amazon executives looking at these types of charts and arguing whether it's worth continuing on with further development/support for the game, considering they'll have to refund all microtransactions if they cancel the game before the end of the year.

Edit: And right after I posted this, AGS released this:

Like somebody begging a loan shark, "JUST ONE MORE DAY, PLEASE!!!"

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 31, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

More like Poo World

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

They delayed it another 2 days:

You have to wonder what's actually going on in their offices.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
diablo 4 is gonna put this bitch out of its misery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

diablo 4 is gonna put this bitch out of its misery
I don't even know if it needs another game to be released for it to die. It might be optimistic to think it'll last until the 2nd week of June.

For more comedy, the official New World Twitter account seems to be giving a different story from their forums, saying that there's actually no ETA for the Season 1 patch:
https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1641724775897628672?s=20
So if you thought it would be better for them to say nothing rather than giving new ETA's every day; well, I guess they're kind of doing both.