Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

77 Cures accounced, probably will have 78 in the movie with mid-season and Cure Echo and Cure Mofurun will p[probably not appear :(

Sort of makes me wonder if one particular team will take center stage alongside the current one like Hugtto did with Futari Wa or if it’ll be more of a free for all

Echo got a small cameo in Hugtto so I hope she at least gets an appearance of some kind this year as well (I’d also love to see Regina and/or the Kiryuu sisters again but that’s probably less likely)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kiryuu sisters always at least have a minor role in these things

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Kiryuu sisters always at least have a minor role in these things

They weren’t in All Stars Memories but they did make a cameo during the big crossover two parter in Hugtto itself (dressed in their “Cure” outfits no less), other than that the last time we saw them to my knowledge was a flashback in Haru no Carnival

Though if one particular team isn’t taking center stage alongside the current one I’m curious how they’re going to juggle such a huge cast (assuming our midseason addition has arrived by then we’ll have 78 Cures to deal with). Maybe they’ll just limit things to the lead Cures and their sidekicks (Erika, Hime, Lala, etc) instead

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 3, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rikka is by far one of the most popular characters in Dokidoki. I’d like to see her again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regina hasn’t spoken since DokiDoki ended so I’d kind of like to see her again as well

Also I’m hoping for some teamups between unrelated Cures like Black & Bloom, Dream & Happy, Whip & Precious, Marine & Princess (hell, toss LaMer in there as well for pure concentrated gremlin energy), etc

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 3, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last I checked the Crunchyroll page for the latest Precure episode is returning a 404. Anybody else having this problem or did they fix it by now?

Edit: It’s up now

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 5, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I honestly thought that Kabaton was going to get caught in the attack. We also got the voice of his superior but nothing else. Also looks like there is no need for progressively stronger breeds of Monsters in this series, the strength of the Ranborg depends on the strength of the general and how much Undergu Energy they put into it's creation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

After a bit of a glitch on Crunchyroll’s end we finally return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Cure of the Week: Summer

In a very Futari Wa inspired episode we see Sora having a reoccurring nightmare about Mashiro getting killed by a Ranborg and as such tries to discourage the latter from transforming anymore. However, her partner manages to talk some sense into her eventually and we get our first (and admittedly pretty cool looking) team attack Updraft Shining

We’re also given some extra lore and introduced to Kabaton’s as of yet unnnamed (and also female) boss, meaning we might be introduced to the rest of the empire before long. While he doesn’t turn into a Ranborg as I originally thought he does at least pilot it.

It was also funny to see him drowning his sorrows at an oden stand and the owner being completely nonplussed about the giant pig man eating at his stall and everything suddenly being shrouded by purple darkness temporarily

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Huge props to that Oden stand owner. Dude's seen some stuff. Any character who can just do a walk on for Miss Kuroitsu from Monster Development is a character I can get behind.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Huge props to that Oden stand owner. Dude's seen some stuff. Any character who can just do a walk on for Miss Kuroitsu from Monster Development is a character I can get behind.

I kind of hope he becomes a reoccurring side character honestly

Also out of curiosity was the Undergu Empress (for lack of a better name) named and/or credited in the OP?

Edit: She’s only listed as “???” but she’s apparently voiced by Honda Takako

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 5, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kabaton's probably the funniest general we've had in a while. Express to Rapid Express to Super Express was super funny

Anyway hand holding attacks are great. Sora and Mashiro are great. Eagerly awaiting Sora going to school

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Most of my time watching this episode was spent thinking about how Extremely Platonic all of this is, and how there is absolutely no other way you can take it. At all. Especially the part where Sora wants to keep holding hands at the end as they watch a sunset together.

Anyway floating baby is silly but I suppose it has to happen if she's gonna keep giving out powerups and the like. I also appreciate less fat Kabaton and his whole subplot.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

On that note the scene where Cure Sky call Cure Prism Prism was an amazing moment that I really didn't expect but worked so drat well. The show just really gets the subtle character moments

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Kabaton was in fine form this week. I also would love it if the oden stand owner comes back, that whole bit reminded me of some of my favorite gags from Smile. Also now that Donbrothers is over it would be a continued source of oden related comedy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also it might be an interesting twist if the leader of the Undergu Empire turned out to be a disillusioned version of the hero who saved Sora in the past and helped set her on her current path

In regards to Sora and Mashiro this might be the most blatant Precure coupling we’ve had since Yukari and Akira (though whether Toei pulls the trigger on it remains to be seen)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 5, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I figure they'll just keep them being the most important people in each other's lives and parents to Elle and let the audience draw their own conclusions about what this means. Kind of like Laura and Manatsu, who were semi-regularly sharing a bed from about halfway through Tropical Rouge.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Yeah, I doubt they'll officially be more than just Very Good Friends raising their adopted daughter Elle together.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jagged Jim posted:

Yeah, I doubt they'll officially be more than just Very Good Friends raising their adopted daughter Elle together.

So Maho Girls 2.0 then (right down to said daughter likely growing up later and becoming a Cure herself), I can live with that

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Or Mana and Rikka. And Mana and Regina. And Mana and…

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While maybe not on the level of Yukari/Akira (or that manga chapter the two have) Mirai/Riko and Lala/Hikaru do have final episode that do heavily imply they get together. Like the second half of Maho Girls final is Mirai just being depressed she can't see Riko any more and Hikaru becomes and astronaut to see Lala again

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

While maybe not on the level of Yukari/Akira (or that manga chapter the two have) Mirai/Riko and Lala/Hikaru do have final episode that do heavily imply they get together. Like the second half of Maho Girls final is Mirai just being depressed she can't see Riko any more and Hikaru becomes and astronaut to see Lala again

There’s also an on the mouth kiss between the first pair in the Maho Girls manga (if I recall correctly it’s kind of a Sleeping Beauty situation but still)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 5, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New episode titles:

9: Wings of Courage! Fly Cure Wing!

10: Mmmm! What Does The Meal Of Your Memories Taste Like!?

Seems like the bird boi is up to bat first (I’m guessing 8 & 9 will be a two parter of sorts) and 10 almost sounds like a Delicious Party title

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 8, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And some summaries as well:

Episode 06
A new school year begins, and Mashiro (Cure Prism) changes into her school uniform and goes to school. Sora Harewataru (Cure Sky) follows Mashiro to school, but is informed at the school gate that outsiders are not allowed in the school. On her way home, Sora runs into Ageha Hijiri on her way to run an errand as requested by Mashiro's grandmother, Yoyo. The two go to Pretty Holic. She tells them, "Are you lonely because you are not with Mashiron?" Sora hesitates when Ageha suggests that she tell Mashiron directly how she feels. Ageha takes Sora to the make-up corner, gives her a make-over, and sends her off to Mashiro. After helping an old lady with her luggage, stopping a fight between delinquents, and being forced to take a detour due to an unexpected construction project, Sora arrives at Mashiro's school. But then the ruffian Kabaton from the Undergu Empire appears.

Episode 07

Sora is able to attend the same school as Mashiro, and they wear matching uniforms to school. She introduces herself to her classmates as a "transfer student from overseas", but since she almost accidentally mentions Skyland, she decides to try not to stand out too much. However, in physical education, she shows off her natural athleticism and sets new school records in all of the sports tests. Everyone is impressed and talks with her. During lunch break, Mashiro takes Sora to the rooftop. There, Mashiro confides that when she first entered the school, she was unable to talk casually with the people around her and was cheered up by seeing the cherry blossoms in the courtyard from the rooftop. Hearing this, Sora decides to act as she normally does at school. She then calls to her classmates again to say "I want to say hello once again to my new school".

Episode 08

One day, Sora came to check on Princess Elle-chan, the princess of Skyland, and sensed the presence of someone in her room. That night, when Sora went into her room to sleep, she saw a strange boy talking to Elle-chan. Sora chases after the boy who jumped down from the window, but what she catches is not a boy but a bird. Then, Yoyo arrives and says, "I know him, please let him go." The bird was Tsubasa, a boy of the Punibird tribe that lives in Skyland. Tsubasa came to Sorashido City about a year ago due to a space-time distortion caused by a storm, and has been under the care of Yoyo's family ever since. Sora approaches Tsubasa to ask why he has kept quiet about his and Elle's arrival and why he has not returned to Skyland...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hirogaru Sky 06:

Cure of The Week: Sky again (weird)

This week, Sora continues to be terrible at keeping secrets, Ageha returns and shills for Pretty Holic a bit while giving Sora some very Tropical Rouge-esque advice, Kabaton does some cosplay, and our heroines break the fourth wall (we also get our first group transformation)

Next time: Sora’s Hero Academia

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shocked Ageha is in Bullet Club!

Also Kabaton again with a Looney Tunes level plot but it fails against the power of Sora/Masahiro wanting to be together. They already have great couple energy

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm behind on everything so I only just watched episode 5 today. Extremely good stuff. I delete episodes as I watch them due to limited hard drive space so I don't remember exactly what the flashback about "It should come in handy in many ways" was about. Like I know it's related to Elle floating around but I'm not sure what exactly it was that caused it.

This seemed like one of the most destructive MotWs in the series, usually they don't actually destroy entire buildings, and this one took out nearly an entire city block. They're fortunate that defeating Ranborgs causes everything they damage to magically get repaired.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm behind on everything so I only just watched episode 5 today. Extremely good stuff. I delete episodes as I watch them due to limited hard drive space so I don't remember exactly what the flashback about "It should come in handy in many ways" was about. Like I know it's related to Elle floating around but I'm not sure what exactly it was that caused it.

This seemed like one of the most destructive MotWs in the series, usually they don't actually destroy entire buildings, and this one took out nearly an entire city block. They're fortunate that defeating Ranborgs causes everything they damage to magically get repaired.

The flashback about it being handy refers to the fact that Grandma Yoyo was the one who provided Elle's little carrying harness, and presumably that means she was the one behind it being able to convert into a magic flying baby carriage as necessary.

As for the city being repaired that's a helpful, yet fairly common Precure power, and it is really nice.

Also this episode confirmed that the big truck from the opening is definitely Ageha's, which wasn't super in doubt. And Kabaton failing at diverting Sora for exactly the wrong reasons and then being harangued for intruding was just delightful. The comedy has been on point so far, in a way very different from Tropical Rouge and I'm totally here for it.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 12, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

The flashback about it being handy refers to the fact that Grandma Yoyo was the one who provided Elle's little carrying harness, and presumably that means she was the one behind it being able to convert into a magic flying baby carriage as necessary.

As for the city being repaired that's a helpful, yet fairly common Precure power, and it is really nice.

Also this episode confirmed that the big truck from the opening is definitely Ageha's, which wasn't super in doubt. And Kabaton failing at diverting Sora for exactly the wrong reasons and then being harangued for intruding was just delightful. The comedy has been on point so far, in a way very different from Tropical Rouge and I'm totally here for it.

That was actually confirmed back in Ageha’s first appearance (we see her truck pull up to Mashiro’s house near the start of episode 4)

Anyway, this is shaping up to be another season where I love pretty much every character so I’m hoping our bird boy won’t disappoint when he finally makes his proper debut in two weeks

Looking forward to Sora going to school as well (especially since the girl can’t keep a secret to save her life)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 12, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, this just popped up on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/1634936996979437576

Roughly it translates to “Adult Precure ‘23 Power Of Hope”. Not entirely sure what it is exactly though (I’m guessing miniseries, concert, or stage show)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 12, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lossthief/status/1634932160678469632?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

In other news, this just popped up on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/1634936996979437576

Roughly it translates to “Adult Precure ‘23 Power Of Hope”. Not entirely sure what it is exactly though (I’m guessing miniseries, concert, or stage show)

False alarm it seems, based on the patent application (application number: 2023-22602) it’s apparently listed as a “Solid Powder Cosmetic”.

So it’s probably just a new merchandise line in addition to Pretty Holic (maybe marketed towards adults)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 12, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm not a big fan of the Pretty Holic shilling (there's enough 'Buy Our Makeup And Toys' in the rest of the show we don't need more talk about how makeup gives you courage) but the rest of the episode is pretty good. Sora and Mashiro's relationship remains Very Platonic, Ageha continues to be cool and good, and Sora continues to be very funny. The fight was perfunctory but that was the point so that worked great.

Shame that group transformation just showed off how worse Prism's transformation is than Sky's, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The OP and ED make it clear that Tsubasa is paired off with Ageha in the same way that Sora and Mashiro are, and all I can think is that the poor boy has no idea what's going to hit him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

The OP and ED make it clear that Tsubasa is paired off with Ageha in the same way that Sora and Mashiro are, and all I can think is that the poor boy has no idea what's going to hit him.

My theory is that he comes to idolize her as sort of a big sister figure. But yeah, they should be fun together.

I’m curious if Ageha’s going to eventually move in with Mashiro & co later as the latter suggested in her letter at the start of episode 5 (which means we’d have an entire team of Cures living under the same roof for the first time since Maho Girls)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mashiro suggested Ageha move nearby, not in with her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Mashiro suggested Ageha move nearby, not in with her.

Ah right, well there seems to be kind of a “found family” angle to this series so it’s still possible she might move in anyway (especially once she finally becomes a Cure herself)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 13, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mashiro, Ageha and Sora are gonna move in and do a Three's company sitcom plot okay!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Mashiro, Ageha and Sora are gonna move in and do a Three's company sitcom plot okay!

Don’t forget pudgy bird boy Tsubasa (though he’s apparently been living with them since before Sora showed up)

Speaking of, sort of weird that we still haven’t gotten any images of his human form yet to my knowledge since we’re literally a week away from his official debut and there’s already a full summary out for that episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://anime-precure.com/news/00021/index.html

So apparently Yes 5 and Maho Girls are getting continuations of sorts.

Rough translation courtesy of Reddit:

“After 20 years, the "Pretty Cure" series has been a video that "not only fans at the time of becoming adults, but also those who are currently watching the series will continue to enjoy the "Pretty Cure" series more. Under the concept of ", we have decided to produce two works as a new attempt.

The first one is "Yes! PreCure 5" and "Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo!" Focusing on Nozomi Yumehara, "Kibo no Chikara - Otona Pretty Cure '23 -", which depicts the figure of their growth, is scheduled to be broadcast on NHK E-television from October 2023.

The second is ABC TV and TV Asahi affiliated 24 stations nationwide "ANiMAZiNG!!!" In, "Magical PreCure!" The sequel to "Magical Pretty Cure! 2 (tentative)" is scheduled to be broadcast in 2024.

Please look forward to future information.”

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 14, 2023